Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']do you like playing Russian roulette? b/c that's what you're doing!![/QUOTE]

During the last drop at BB, I waited till midweek and I still picked up 15-16 guides. But I've also noticed that my local BB stores don't seem to stock tons of each guide anymore, so that's why I'm glad when we get a heads up as to what is 'deleted/discontinued', so I can check and see what chance I have to get anything.

Now, when I was still going out of town for auto auctions and being allowed to take the car we drove up to the auction to nearby malls, I used to score HUGE. But my local BB(and GS) stores(the newest one especially so) are virtual dead zones for guides anymore, unless you wait towards the weekend and just go in when there's a rush of people.

Of course, I do have only myself to blame, since I used to 'grab all dem shits' en masse at one point. Now, as long as I know that LE/CE/SE/RPG guides have dropped, I bring those up first and try for those and only those first. If they shoot me down and give me bullshit over them, then I may do like I did with the giant drop that was messed up last fall.

That being point out which other guides they missed because they were lazy and didn't pull them.

[quote name='token2k6']has there been this kind of communication before? or was there going to be going forward after the last pillage??[/QUOTE]Usually, some of the CAGs in ET manage to get there first and check, giving us the rest of us some advance notice. There's usually at least one or two that manage to get them checked out and get notice back before 10AM CT.

[quote name='Shan82']So, I was just thinking that if they DO go down MOnday, I'd at least like a shot at one, so has anyone tried 'stashing' a guide in the past (I was thinking of stashing 1 DragonAge CE on Saturday)? Just curious! :)

Also, I hadn't thought of them pulling them when I went out to my car! :x ... luckily, they haven't done that before, but it would be a risk! :eek:
[/QUOTE]Stashing guides has mixed results, and depends on how clued-in the local loss-prevention reps and the media reps are for finding items out of place in another area. Sometimes it works, other times, it doesn't. You could easily be ejected from the premises if you have a store manager or other manager that decides you're appearing to steal something.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Stashing guides has mixed results, and depends on how clued-in the local loss-prevention reps and the media reps are for finding items out of place in another area. Sometimes it works, other times, it doesn't. You could easily be ejected from the premises if you have a store manager or other manager that decides you're appearing to steal something.[/QUOTE]

You're telling me. I went to stash a WOW Atlas(2nd or 3rd edition) the one time BEHIND one of the PC game shelves. Instead of haphazardly leaning it against the opposing shelf, I lost my grip on it and it fell flat to the floor(with a loud noise to boot).

It probably stayed there until they finally re arranged the shelves in the PC/console gaming section about 6 months ago to a new layout.:lol:

Of course, it pennied out about 2 years prior to that revamp.;)

For those of you wondering about certain guides I stated my list was not complete. Off the top of my head, Borderlands is still A, Dissidia is either L or S and same with Modern Warefare 2 LE.

As for stashing, I'm usually not for it but with what's going on with Dragon Age I would stick it in or behind a fridge or dryer. Sometimes you can hide them behind the games. Just don't go in from the top and make a loud noise.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like I'm checking CAG around 10:30AM ET and see if we're going to get lucky or not.

I'll assume Frosty will have some more info come Sunday, since I would expect the inter-store communications to go out on Sunday so the media reps can pull them in advance of Monday morning. Either that or before the store open on Monday.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if they let out the info on this guide drop early either like they did last year for this same drop why? Because Best Buy's site went from 60 some guides to 46 today. I was surprised to see more hoopla in this thread then usual and this wasen't mentioned, hopefully they didn't pull a fast one and did a drop today.

[quote name='token2k6']^^take it back! that would ruin my weekend :([/QUOTE]

Indeed. Maybe I'll check tomorrow, instead of Monday AM...

[quote name='FOnewearl']I wouldn't be surprised if they let out the info on this guide drop early either like they did last year for this same drop why? Because Best Buy's site went from 60 some guides to 46 today. I was surprised to see more hoopla in this thread then usual and this wasen't mentioned, hopefully they didn't pull a fast one and did a drop today.[/QUOTE]

They did do a drop a loooooong while ago where they dropped them on some other day, didn't they?:cry:

It would suck, but like I said I don't have much hope that I'll find anything no matter what time I go there, especially so if the one red headed guy is working media that morning.

What was funniest was that during the Fairytale Fights coupon mess, he pointed out where the copies were for PS3 at my store, even though I had the coupon in hand.:lol: We've gotten into it over the guides before, so I'm shocked he didn't ask me what the deal was that day.:D

But ya know, if some feel as if maybe they dropped today, someone should go in-store and check on the kiosk to see if they're coming up as .01 there. Just a thought...

[quote name='FOnewearl']I wouldn't be surprised if they let out the info on this guide drop early either like they did last year for this same drop why? Because Best Buy's site went from 60 some guides to 46 today. I was surprised to see more hoopla in this thread then usual and this wasen't mentioned, hopefully they didn't pull a fast one and did a drop today.[/QUOTE]

Darn, I was hoping they would leave the guides online like the last drop, I didn't even have to go to the store for that drop since I just had everything I wanted shipped.

[quote name='shieryda']I'll try and check on the way home tonight.[/QUOTE]

lol me too, it's either deposit paycheck or check for penny guides..damn tough call!

and yeah, I do remember them pulling guides down only a few weeks ago, it got us all excited then, but nothing happened..

[quote name='token2k6']lol me too, it's either deposit paycheck or check for penny guides..damn tough call![/QUOTE]

What, you don't have Direct Deposit?:D You need to get that shit so you grab dem shitz!

[quote name='msriflegirl']I just checked my local BB and both versions of the DA:O guide were still at full price.[/QUOTE]

whew! thanks for saving us the trip

I've already made arrangements to be at my Best Buy of choice at the time they open on Monday, regardless of a drop or not (I'm going to use a giftcard to buy a Boy and His Blob), and given that this one has display laptops with working laptops, I plan to update everyoe from the actual store.

After I make my purchases first :p

I'll be there at 10AM EST Monday. I'm gonna try to hit up the CE/LE guides first and go back to check more later.

Anyone have a list of what went MIA from the site?

Update: I went through my list of guides that lox posted in Jan. that were deleted/discontinued.

These ones are no longer on the site:
Codes And Cheats Fall 2009
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Prince Of Persia
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Sky
Saw
The Sims 2 Box Set
Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up
Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning

Unfortunately, the MW2 LE, ACII LE, and FO3 GOTY LE are still on the site. :(

Sorry for the triple post, but I'm trying to keep people from getting confused.

Here's as complete a list as I could come up with of what is no longer on the site:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Codes And Cheats Fall 2009
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Dragon Age: Origins LE
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Halo Wars
Left 4 Dead 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Sky
Pokemon Platinum
Prince Of Persia
Prototype
Resident Evil 5
Saw
Scribblenauts
Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up
Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning
World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King
World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King Atlus
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010

EDIT: alphabetized for those keeping score at home

I'm pretty bummed there's no Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks or ACII hardcover editions :( ... oh well, maybe next month! ;) That's still a darn good list! :D

Thanks for organizing the list so far, debamus! :)

Damn, work all day and miss a bunch of guides dropped from the site. Them's the breaks, I tell you.

Thanks dabamus!

P.S. I'm working tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday afternoon, so if anything pops up in the employee news, I'll fill you in.

Ok, thanks lox!

I'm glad to help since it helps me too. I have an excel doc on my Windows Phone with them in order like that so I know what to look for Monday. :D

yeah, this is almost becoming a regular outing for you dabamus! glad to see such dedicated CAGs out there, that's why this site is the best! I finally got a WinMo phone so I can give updates from the road if need be :)

I'll be able to hit 2 up at 11 CST, one is very lax on guides, then one at 430pm, last time, they literally had penny guides stickered that way on a display table!

I have high hopes for two of the ones I plan to visit. They have tons of guides at the one including DAO CEs and a bunch at the other one too, although no DAO CEs.

Chapel Hill I may hit just to get pissed off at them, but I don't know if I'll waste time there.

Stupid question I know but when the guides drop from the site are they definitely pennied or just possibly? I tried looking through the FAQ but didn't see anything specifically about dropping from the site.

Quick follow up: GTA: Episodes From Liberty City is also gone from the site. Seems likely to drop too, what with the PS3 version coming out next month.

No. I have only been to one store that has ever had them stickers at $.01

I usually ask a friendly associate to check the prices for me on a few guides to give me an idea if they have dropped or not.

RARELY I see them at Gamestop with penny stickers. The only times I've seen that was when they were already pulled behind counters. Some people have posted pictures of penny stickers at Best Buy, but it almost never happens.

[quote name='Rave Child']RARELY I see them at Gamestop with penny stickers. The only times I've seen that was when they were already pulled behind counters. Some people have posted pictures of penny stickers at Best Buy, but it almost never happens.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The 8 pennied guides I picked up at BB yesterday were all marked at full price. They just rang up as a penny.

I loved the one picture someone posted of a shelf tag that said 1 cent on it. :p

Active
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII LE
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Dante's Inferno
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 2 LE
Army of Two
Saboteur
LoZ Spirit Tracks
Sims 3 World Adventure
Bakugan Battle Brawlers
Assassin's Creed 2
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3 GotY
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Halo 3 ODST
Sim 3 LE

Star Ocean International
White Knight Chronicles
Bioshock 2
Darksiders
Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers
World of Warcraft something something
LittleBigPlanet Superbook
God of War 1&2
call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Borderlands
Uncharted 2
Kingdom Hearts 352/2 (? numbers??)
Batman Arkam Asylum

Discontinued
Assassin's Creed 2 LE
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon .... Sky

Bioshock 2 LE

Deleted
LoZ Spirit Tracks LE
Lego Indian Jones 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Left For Dead 2
Fallout 3 GotY LE
Dragon Age Origins CE
Brutal Legend
Star Wars Clone Wars
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Brawl Bros.
Scribblenauts
Prototype
Sims 3
Halo Wars
Pokemon Platinum

Bayonetta
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Wii)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 LE
Ratchet and Clank
GTA Episodes from Liberty City
Tekken 6
WWE Smackdown (2010?)
GTA Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Saw
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Champions Online
Dissidia

I don't wanna be that guy but I really really want a Pokemon Platinum guide and my stores out :) :pray:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They did do a drop a loooooong while ago where they dropped them on some other day, didn't they?:cry:[/QUOTE]

Maybe your thinking of Metal Gear Solid 4

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Darn, I was hoping they would leave the guides online like the last drop, I didn't even have to go to the store for that drop since I just had everything I wanted shipped.[/QUOTE]

I would have also liked that since I could get free shipping (silver rewards member in the family) but last year from what I remember they did a good job at pulling the guides during the "Is it February yet drop" so I'm not surprised that they are doing it right and early online this year :(

Thanks for the effort put forth on the lists and sorry if I got some CAGs all worked up on the idea of a drop today, I was thinking it was a long shot so much that I didn't even consider checking my store.

[quote name='mistymayem']Stupid question I know but when the guides drop from the site are they definitely pennied or just possibly? I tried looking through the FAQ but didn't see anything specifically about dropping from the site.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but in this case we are looking at 20 guides that dropped off the site so we can use the lists that Frosty has posted to get a pretty good idea of what's going to drop and said drop could be this Monday if the pattern over the last so many months continues (3rd Monday of the month being the day that guides drop if any guides drop that month).

Also Best Buy's fiscal year ends in late February hence the reason we are suspecting they will do a nice sized drop this month as they have done at the end of the fiscal year in previous years.

[quote name='dabamus']I have high hopes for two of the ones I plan to visit. They have tons of guides at the one including DAO CEs and a bunch at the other one too, although no DAO CEs.

Chapel Hill I may hit just to get pissed off at them, but I don't know if I'll waste time there.[/QUOTE]

You in NC dabamus?

[quote name='dabamus']Since you help us out so much Frosty, I'll see if I can pick you one up. :)[/QUOTE]

That would be much appreciated!

[quote name='Visc']Bioshock 2 is on the discontinued already?![/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought that was weird too.

Bioshock 2 LE showed up as Limited Availability on the website. It's probably that one.

BTW, anyone else watching the olympics right now? I'm in tears laughing at that torch lighting right now.

[quote name='msriflegirl']You in NC dabamus?[/QUOTE]

No. I'm sure the Chapel Hill, NC BB employees and managers are much nicer and not as lazy as the Chapel Hill Mall, OH ones. I'm in good ole Ohio.

High in the middle and round on the sides.

[quote name='dabamus']No. I'm sure the Chapel Hill, NC BB employees and managers are much nicer and not as lazy as the Chapel Hill Mall, OH ones. I'm in good ole Ohio.

High in the middle and round on the sides.[/QUOTE]

lol...

Picked up RE5 LE book for a penny yesterday.. Here's hoping for more..... Frosty, I think I understand your list but, just to ask. The things in discontinue is the stuff that may drop to a penny correct?

The stuff that will probably drop to a penny on MONDAY!!! is the stuff in the list I posted. If the guide is still on the website, then it probably won't drop. :(

I went to Best Buy to check out the store's supply and it's fullll of good stuff! I can't wait for Monday! I also got my first penny guide. :)

Oh, just FYI, if I don't post by 1030AM EST on Monday in this thread, then there is most likely a drop.(because I'll be going in and out of one, and then on to another:p)

If there isn't a drop then I'll head next door to Panera and make a post saying such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back