Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brian9824']FFXIII CE is stickered at $14.99 at my gamestop.[/QUOTE]

That is my sweet spot for this guide. Time to sell the regular edition...

Hmm, it's still $34.99 on their website. I don't have time to check it out tonight, but hopefully this is true and I can pick one up tomorrow. Thanks!

I dont think so, they had multiple copies stickered at that price and i dont think FFXII LE is in stock anymore. If anyone could confirm it would be great, if not I can always swing by tomorow and try to grab a few if anyone wants. They had 2-3 there stickered at that price.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm going to be it was a miss tag for FF12 CE.[/QUOTE]

You could be right, as I just picked up the FF12 CE guide for $15 from GS.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I could turn back time and actually find stores to be able to buy the Oblivion GOTY editions from en masse for $.01 I'd do it in a second.:D But by the time they pennied them out they either had none left or the stores around here wouldn't sell them to me.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

I passed one up for $13 at Circuit City during the goingoutofbusiness days. And, predictably, I'm playing Oblivion on PC now and feel like a dumbass. :roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only reason I mentioned wanting to grab the Oblivion GOTY guides in retrospect now is that I've seen auctions for them ending at $100 or so per copy.[/QUOTE]
That's why I keep this posted on my wall as a reminder of the best flip I've ever had:
d0c660d8.jpg
:cool:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only reason I mentioned wanting to grab the Oblivion GOTY guides in retrospect now is that I've seen auctions for them ending at $100 or so per copy.[/QUOTE]
I got two pennied at Best Buy. I also picked some up at Half Price Books, two of them clearanced at $3. Game Crazy also sold them for $10 before they pennied (if they actually did penny since there were probably no more left). GC did the same thing with Tales of Vesperia, they were selling retail copies for $10 when they were selling for $70 online.

LOL I think I traded a couple of them to some CAG's. :lol:

'course I could care less. Bethesda can suck a dick.

Does Blockbuster carry a wide variety of guides, or just a few? If they're keeping current I'd love to snag the Peacewalker mini-guide for half off.

Hit a couple of Best Buys today, found Pokemon Sky, a couple of Army of Two 2s, both of the Warcraft Lich King books, Bowser, and surprisingly, a banged-up copy of Dissidia with a big crease on the cover. Sweet, I just got that game for $7.49 at Target! Serendipity strikes again.

I am noticing that all of my local Best Buys seem to be much, much better at pulling the penny guides. Either that, or the local El Hoardo is very quick and cleans out every store without fail on drop day.

On the other hand, I seem to have found a GameStop that has never gets around to pulling their penny guides and usually doesn't give a damn if you walk out with a couple - got Bioshock 2 and Dead to Rights from them, and I've usually managed to get at least one or two guide from every drop this year. I will guard the location of this store jealously, and thanks to GameStop's insane expansionism (the store in question is within five miles of about eight other GameStops) nobody else will ever find them! Muhahahaha1!

[quote name='token2k6']receipt scan or it didn't happen! j/k..I just can't imagine them having semi-new guides..isn't their stock only based on people selling them back?? I guess it's possible..[/QUOTE]

Well, as soon as guides penny out, they flood the HPB stores near me (which is probably why GS has cracked down--quoting "reselling" as the main problem).

But I also see the "latest, greatest" game guides in pristine shape fairly regularly. Think about it: some people buy the game the day it comes out, buy the guide so they can rush through it, then sell both game and guide back after they've gotten all the achievements/trophies. I prefer to enjoy my games, but lots of folks see them as a means to an end. And since they only had the guide for a week or a month, it's still in like-new condition. ;)

[quote name='Zippon']Well, as soon as guides penny out, they flood the HPB stores near me (which is probably why GS has cracked down--quoting "reselling" as the main problem).

But I also see the "latest, greatest" game guides in pristine shape fairly regularly. Think about it: some people buy the game the day it comes out, buy the guide so they can rush through it, then sell both game and guide back after they've gotten all the achievements/trophies. I prefer to enjoy my games, but lots of folks see them as a means to an end. And since they only had the guide for a week or a month, it's still in like-new condition. ;)[/QUOTE]
I've given away a ton of guides over the years I've been on CAG to friends and I've kinda groaned when I've seen the condition they ended up in.:bomb:

Then again I guess my friends and their family members consider using/enjoying means you don't keep it in great shape. I almost shed a tear when I saw a once pristine Oblivion guide I gave them with a shredded(probably from their multitudes of multitudes of cats:roll:)and bent back cover.

If I use a guide even for a little bit and the cover keeps popping back up cuz I had it open for too long, I'll put it the opposite way with some weight on it to bend it back to normal so it'll stay closed.

But maybe I'm just anal about the condition I keep my stuff in. Is that so wrong?

[quote name='Mike Toole']Does Blockbuster carry a wide variety of guides, or just a few? If they're keeping current I'd love to snag the Peacewalker mini-guide for half off.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately I don't think BBVs even rent out PSP games. I haven't seen any at the stores I've visited. I'm guessing they wouldn't carry the PW guide.
In other news, Amazon has it for $10.19.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've given away a ton of guides over the years I've been on CAG to friends and I've kinda groaned when I've seen the condition they ended up in.:bomb:

Then again I guess my friends and their family members consider using/enjoying means you don't keep it in great shape. I almost shed a tear when I saw a once pristine Oblivion guide I gave them with a shredded(probably from their multitudes of multitudes of cats:roll:)and bent back cover.

If I use a guide even for a little bit and the cover keeps popping back up cuz I had it open for too long, I'll put it the opposite way with some weight on it to bend it back to normal so it'll stay closed.

But maybe I'm just anal about the condition I keep my stuff in. Is that so wrong?[/QUOTE]

You and me both... My black Wii looks like someone took a damn scotchbrite pad to it. It's so scuffed on one side, it looks like a white Wii. I have no idea what happened, but I can't even look at the system with wanting to ball. As far as guides go, I hate it when the covers get bent like that. And don't get me started on my games - I hate these new 360 cases with the holes in them, it's super annoying.

Definitely nothing wrong with being anal about the condition of your stuff.

For me, I was always like that but I have taken a new policy on life and I just enjoy everything I own. I mean, I still treat my stuff with the utmost care but I took it way too far before and it really hampered my enjoyment with just about everything I worked hard to acquire.

[quote name='Mike Toole']Does Blockbuster carry a wide variety of guides, or just a few? If they're keeping current I'd love to snag the Peacewalker mini-guide for half off.

Hit a couple of Best Buys today, found Pokemon Sky, a couple of Army of Two 2s, both of the Warcraft Lich King books, Bowser, and surprisingly, a banged-up copy of Dissidia with a big crease on the cover. Sweet, I just got that game for $7.49 at Target! Serendipity strikes again.

I am noticing that all of my local Best Buys seem to be much, much better at pulling the penny guides. Either that, or the local El Hoardo is very quick and cleans out every store without fail on drop day.

On the other hand, I seem to have found a GameStop that has never gets around to pulling their penny guides and usually doesn't give a damn if you walk out with a couple - got Bioshock 2 and Dead to Rights from them, and I've usually managed to get at least one or two guide from every drop this year. I will guard the location of this store jealously, and thanks to GameStop's insane expansionism (the store in question is within five miles of about eight other GameStops) nobody else will ever find them! Muhahahaha1![/QUOTE]

I have never had any luck getting guides from GS here in MA, so congrats. I actually looked for the Mass Effect 2 CE guide and the managers of several stores I go to told me that they got rid of them pretty quick. Apparently the local DM is pretty strict with guides. I wonder if dumpster diving is worth it.

And I think we may be sharing Best Buys...

I am in western MA and I scored both a Bioshock 2 and a Mass Effect 2 CE hardcover guide for $ .01 each today

fucking sweet

My local GS in the mall is so damn tiny they have ALL of their strategy guides stacked in a pile on the floor next to one of their racks.

Here are a few guides that I notice missing off the Gamestop website. It's been three months since I updated my list, so who knows when they might have dropped:

Call of Duty: Modern War 2 Limited Edition Official Strategy Guide
Lost Planet 2 Official Strategy Guide Collector's Edition
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Sky
World of Warcraft Dungeon Companion I Second Edition Official Strategy Guide

Not sure the Lost Planet 2 CE ever existed.
I'm not confirming any drops with this post. Just giving a heads up in case anyone else is able to.

[quote name='hellmutt']Here are a few guides that I notice missing off the Gamestop website. It's been three months since I updated my list, so who knows when they might have dropped:

I'm not confirming any drops with this post. Just giving a heads up in case anyone else is able to.[/QUOTE]I know it never did. I had it pre-ordered on Amazon for the longest time, and then the item just disappeared off of Amazon's site.

It was never on Prima's site (I think it was a Prima guide) and no one ever had it on sale, from B&N, Borders, Amazon, GS, no one.

Eventually, I had Amazon cancel the order and refund my $10 discount code back.

[quote name='hellmutt']Here are a few guides that I notice missing off the Gamestop website. It's been three months since I updated my list, so who knows when they might have dropped:

I'm not confirming any drops with this post. Just giving a heads up in case anyone else is able to.[/QUOTE]

good call, the 3rd monday of the month is approaching...just hoping no more stealth drops, i hate those!

[quote name='ballbarfer']good call, the 3rd monday of the month is approaching...just hoping no more stealth drops, i hate those![/QUOTE]

He was posting those as dropping from GS's site, not BB's.

I saw some guides on my gamestop that was supposed to be .01. However, ALL of them had a sticker with the regular price(and the sticker contains the bar code). My question is: If they are going to scan the sticker, I will not get the discounted price right? How I find a gamestop that does not use stickers on game guides? I tried 3 stores yesterday and all of them had only guides with stickers.

Thanks

[quote name='Davivascaino']I saw some guides on my gamestop that was supposed to be .01. However, ALL of them had a sticker with the regular price(and the sticker contains the bar code). My question is: If they are going to scan the sticker, I will not get the discounted price right? How I find a gamestop that does not use stickers on game guides? I tried 3 stores yesterday and all of them had only guides with stickers.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Virtually every guide, except for the one copy of Bioshock 2's guide that I was given by a manager recently, has had a normal price sticker on the front cover but come up as .01 in the system.

However, getting them to give/sell you the guide at that price is the real crapshoot. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it, unless your stores have been in trouble for selling/giving away guides in the past. In which case you may have a 100% chance of being denied. Good luck either way though.

[quote name='Davivascaino']I saw some guides on my gamestop that was supposed to be .01. However, ALL of them had a sticker with the regular price(and the sticker contains the bar code). My question is: If they are going to scan the sticker, I will not get the discounted price right? How I find a gamestop that does not use stickers on game guides? I tried 3 stores yesterday and all of them had only guides with stickers.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The simple answer is that the sticker with bar code will ring up as a .01.
They can scan the back, the sticker, they can even type in the guide name or the code and it will all come out as a penny.

4 things can happen.
1. The guy says they can not sell the guide.
2. The guy sells it to you.
3. The guy give it to you for free.
4. The guy manually make the guide full price.

At GS, in my experience,
1. happens 5% of the time.
2. happens 50% of the time.
3. happens 44% of the time.
4. happens less then 1% of the time.

[quote name='Readthepost']The simple answer is that the sticker with bar code will ring up as a .01.
They can scan the back, the sticker, they can even type in the guide name or the code and it will all come out as a penny.

4 things can happen.
1. The guy says they can not sell the guide.
2. The guy sells it to you.
3. The guy give it to you for free.
4. The guy manually make the guide full price.
[/QUOTE]

You forgot:

5. The guy tears off the fucking cover (which ought to be a crime) and then gives it to you (for free).

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']You forgot:

5. The guy tears off the fucking cover (which ought to be a crime) and then gives it to you.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is a crime to sell coverless books.

I found a mass effect 1 guide w/ artbook bundle at my Hollywood video for 4 bucks. Decided why not ? So I bought it and when I got home I noticed it goes for 90 on amazon...

Crazy thing to ask, but if anyone comes across a Fallout 3 GOTY CE guide, will they pick it up for me? I can't pay a ton, but I really want it. Same with a ME2 CE. THanks!

[quote name='Brian9824']I dont think so, they had multiple copies stickered at that price and i dont think FFXII LE is in stock anymore. If anyone could confirm it would be great, if not I can always swing by tomorow and try to grab a few if anyone wants. They had 2-3 there stickered at that price.[/QUOTE]
I asked at a GS this afternoon and FFXIII CE is still full price (around $35).

[quote name='Estebon']Not everything listed on amazon sells for that crazy price.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of crazy prices, I suppose you don't want those guides you said you did after my 'ebay+amazon book trade average' dealie, huh?:razz:

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I'm really hoping the Mass effect 2 LE pennies out at Best Buy soon, there's only 2 left...[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for this as well, I just picked up Mass Effect 2 and would love to get the guide to go with it. My Best Buy has 1 copy of the SE and a couple of the LE guides left and that stock hasn't changed since I've lived here. :)

[quote name='token2k6']anyone going to ...ah nevermind![/QUOTE]
If I didnt have meetings all fucking day, I would go. I hate Mondays and of course meetings make it much worse. What a craptacular start to the work week!

not too worry wrencrest, usually there are all sorts of indications, when we don't have any, there is no drop.

Plus 3 out of the 4 BB's I went to over the weekend had the sparsest racks of guides I have ever seen..I have been going to this one which is randomly putting penny guides from the last drop out every week. Nice for me, grabbed guides 2 weeks in a row! Cashiers haven't given me grief at all and are happy to ring me up :)

[quote name='token2k6']not too worry wrencrest, usually there are all sorts of indications, when we don't have any, there is no drop.

Plus 3 out of the 4 BB's I went to over the weekend had the sparsest racks of guides I have ever seen..I have been going to this one which is randomly putting penny guides from the last drop out every week. Nice for me, grabbed guides 2 weeks in a row! Cashiers haven't given me grief at all and are happy to ring me up :)[/QUOTE]
Oh I hear ya. Drop probability is low, but I was looking forward to going to check out some GS sale games and getting out of the office. I just have a bad case of the Mondays today.

[quote name='wrencrest']Oh I hear ya. Drop probability is low, but I was looking forward to going to check out some GS sale games and getting out of the office. I just have a bad case of the Mondays today.[/QUOTE]

Glad I get to travel a bit. I am gonna check out some free/cheap C9 gear at Target today. I'd run by BB, but drop probability is VERY low...

I did get out. Could not find a ME2 CE guide to scan and check if it dropped. I was running out of time, so I just bought FF13 and got out of dodge. But as said earlier...probably not a drop anyway.

Went to BB and checked:

ME 2
ME 2 HC
Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Galaxy 2 HC
Sims Green HC

all full price.

I did find a KH 365 that must have been re-shelved by the new media guy.
Cashier was shocked at the penny, called a superior, sup said it is full price and it is an error in their system, advised them I know items become a penny when they get old and I found a similar item at the same store marked a penny, manager came over and said they are not allowed to sell penny items, so I could just have the guide.

I went ahead and bought a $5 Halo 3:ODST. Better than trying to get one when/if it pennies and then trying to trade for one if I don't.

^^ Me too. I will support the BB policy of dropping new and sealed guides to $5 before they penny out. Animal Crossing: City Folk did the same here. When they have stacks of these titles, they ought to try something.

Still think that must be the magic price point between reseller and publisher. BB must have at least a very small margin at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back