Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Np, now to keep my fingers crossed that someone may be willing to help me with theacuisition of GoW3, Bioshock 2, and Alan Wake LE guides, and NOT charge me an arm and a leg.

[quote name='Visc']Np, now to keep my fingers crossed that someone may be willing to help me with theacuisition of GoW3, Bioshock 2, and Alan Wake LE guides, and NOT charge me an arm and a leg.[/QUOTE]
Ditto on GoW3 LE, Bioshock 2 LE, Wake LE, ModNation and BFBC2. All the BB in my area have already pulled 'em shit.

I can confirm that LBP: Super Book pennied. SKU - 9657418

I saw it yesterday but didn't know that it had pennied. Luckily, it was still there this morning. Everything else that I left behind yesterday was gone except for about 10 copies of SW:FU.

The cashier hesitated when he saw the price and he called a manager. The manager came over and told him to sell them to me since it was their fault they had left them out. He patted my arm and told him to charge me .05 because "they needed to make a profit". That guy is the coolest BB manager to date. I was sure I would get denied.

[quote name='Mafoofoo']Argh I go and there's no GOW3 CE guides left anymore. Cashier said some guy came and bought all 20 of them.....goddamn hoarders.[/QUOTE]

What store did you go to?

Scored today after heading out to Kmart to pick up Enslaved and Castlevania.

Picked up:

Red Steel 2 X2
Kane and Lynch 2 X2
Iron Man 2 X3
LBP Big Book
Singularity X3
Force Unleashed X3
Dead to Rights X2
Craxkdown 2 X2
Bakugan X3
God of War LE
Modnation Racers X3

Looking for the Bioshock LE though.

Let me know if anyone need anything before I get rid of these.

[quote name='dabamus']Speaking of which, where is Mike Toole? I haven't seen him post in this thread today, which is unusual![/QUOTE]

Say my name, and I shall appear. I know of the latest BB guide drop, but I've only had time to check one store (Mass. Ave in Boston, and they're fresh out). It's busy season in my business, so I've been working 80-hour weeks and raking in the cash so I can chill out a bit for the rest of the year.

I'd love to build a throne of Bioshock 2 LE guides, but I don't see it happening this time ;)

Surprisingly I found more from the previous drop than this drop.

Picked up:
Nintendo DS Pocket Guide
Crackdown 2
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

I just picked up a couple each of Bioshock 2 and Alan Wake on my lunch break, but was in a hurry and completely forgot to check for God of War 3. Guess I'll be going back tomorrow.

its weird i went to best buy today and found the last copy of pokemon platinum the only thing is it was still at full price anyone else having this problem cause i didn't with the other guides on this list

[quote name='tourchared_dragon']its weird i went to best buy today and found the last copy of pokemon platinum the only thing is it was still at full price anyone else having this problem cause i didn't with the other guides on this list[/QUOTE]

At my local store the pokemon platinum guide were mistag as some pokemon trading card. They manually enter the upc code and it is fine

Went in today to grab my copy of castlevania I had on pre-order and they denied me on the two penny guides I found...

Wow I just dumped $60 and they were nasty about the guides lol

[quote name='tourchared_dragon']its weird i went to best buy today and found the last copy of pokemon platinum the only thing is it was still at full price anyone else having this problem cause i didn't with the other guides on this list[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem with Pokemon Platinum. There are 2 barcodes on the back and one scans as .01 and one scans as $15.00. A manager looked into it and told the cashier to enter the SKU and it came up as .01.

Got God of War 3 UE, Pokemon Platinum, Singularity, and Force Unleashed (multiple of each for trading.) Left behind a few like Alpha Protocol, Modnation, K&L2. Had my hands full with those huge-ass Platinum guides, though the store had TONS of those and I left more than half of them.

[quote name='kevzik']What store did you go to?[/QUOTE]

The one in Sunnyvale, CA near the petco.

Even the one in east palo alto by the IKEA was out of the God of War 3 LE. The only guide I'm looking for lol.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Went in today to grab my copy of castlevania I had on pre-order and they denied me on the two penny guides I found...

Wow I just dumped $60 and they were nasty about the guides lol[/QUOTE]

At that point I would have just returned the game.

In other news, I hit the jackpot today and got every guide from the list except for the LBP Super Book. I was even thanked for helping them clear shelf space. For whatever reason the Manager seemed to think the penny prices were clearance prices to get old books off the shelves rather than a designation in their system to pull the guides and destroy them.

Too many people reporting success it's disgusting...

I went in yesterday at lunch (so I missed opening by a few hours), all were prepulled or slickdeal hoarders. Was a huge gap/empty space on the racks were they should have been.

Was only able to score a few of them at the Birdcage BB in Sacramento.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Dead to Rights: Retribution
Singularity

I was actually looking for Bakugan, Star Wars : tFU (for my son), and Bioshock (could only find the normal version).

Any Sac area CAGers score on this drop? It looked like my BB had already been pulled or raided.

[quote name='jling84']I was even thanked for helping them clear shelf space. For whatever reason the Manager seemed to think the penny prices were clearance prices to get old books off the shelves rather than a designation in their system to pull the guides and destroy them.[/QUOTE]I went to a BB yesterday and got a decent haul, around 16 guides (multiples of CEs) because I didn't want to hoard/clear out. I went back this morning and it didn't look like any of the guides had been touched; a BB employee did inform me that I would only be able to get 1 of each guide this time... looks like I found a great spot for future drops since the store doesn't seem to pull them for one reason or another :) All the other 5 stores around my area are a different story, didn't find a single thing.

[quote name='Readthepost']I had a similar problem with Pokemon Platinum. There are 2 barcodes on the back and one scans as .01 and one scans as $15.00. A manager looked into it and told the cashier to enter the SKU and it came up as .01.[/QUOTE]

mine only had the one barcode on it

[quote name='jling84']At that point I would have just returned the game.

In other news, I hit the jackpot today and got every guide from the list except for the LBP Super Book. I was even thanked for helping them clear shelf space. For whatever reason the Manager seemed to think the penny prices were clearance prices to get old books off the shelves rather than a designation in their system to pull the guides and destroy them.[/QUOTE]

either that or maybe he doesn't believe in destroying the aka dumpster i know a few gamestops that are fine with just giving me pennied out guides but i think thats just because i only grab 1 or 2 of the same guide

As a first time Penny Guide Hunter I wasn't expecting much, but I made out like a bandit. It took all of my willpower to hold back a devilish grin while every guide scanned rang up at a penny. Got the following:

Dragon Age Origins LE (x5)
Bioshock 2 LE (x2)
Alan Wake LE (x2)
God of War III LE
WoW: Lich King Atlas
LBP Super Book
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Found and bought after a little hassle from the cashier Modnation Racers and Crackdown 2. They were hiding behind a lot of other guides. There were at least 8 Bakugan that I left on the shelf. Quakertown, PA if anyone is interested. Everything else was pulled.

4 stores entered, guides purchased at 2 -

Crackdown x2
Alpha Protocol x2
Red Steel
Modnation x2
Dead to Rights
K&L 2
Force Unleashed
Singularity

Most had 1 or 2 remaining, in some cases (RS, Modnation) it was the last one. Tried to get a random Bowser's Inside Story I found at a store that had pulled the new ones, but the guy overrode the 1 cent price to 14.99, so I said no thanks. I was picking up Castlevania :[ I saw ZERO CE/LE versions, which was a bummer as I really want the Alan Wake LE to go with my LE game :D Still, 11 guides for 11 cents and both cashiers were super nice and said I was getting a great deal.

Somewhat of a shitty haul...but not totally...

LBP
BFBC2
Crackdown 2 (x2)

Both of the Crackdown 2 guides are still sealed...as well as the BFBC2 guide.

I don't expect much interest in the Crackdown 2 guides as from what I hear it was a shitty game.

Went back today and got lbp. Now I only need bio shock. Also gow collection is full price. Did uncharted 2 dropat best buy? They only had 2 and I was in a hurry.

I think I know the answer to this, but is anyone else's copies of Alpha Protocol, Kane & Lynch 2, and Dead 2 Rights shrinkwrapped? The one Best Buy had these in the cheap backroom kind of shrinkwrap rather than a professional kind.

Please take ALL guide trading discussion/posting to THIS THREAD:

Thanks.

As for me I may try hitting up both local stores tomorrow in the hopes that somehow they missed pulling what few guides they had from this drop. Hopefully I have the same luck as most of you and can find some newer LE/SE/CE guides to pad my trade list with to trade towards the few guides I actually want right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jling84']At that point I would have just returned the game.

In other news, I hit the jackpot today and got every guide from the list except for the LBP Super Book. I was even thanked for helping them clear shelf space. For whatever reason the Manager seemed to think the penny prices were clearance prices to get old books off the shelves rather than a designation in their system to pull the guides and destroy them.[/QUOTE]

Its nice to see I'm not the only person who gets thanked for buying penny guides at BB.

Scored today Miami Beach Best Buy.

God of War III Limited Edition
Bioshock 2 Limited edition Hard cover
Alan Wake Limited Edition (in a freaking huge box)

Total spent 2 cents.

First one I got the cute cashier girl actually got such a laugh she paid the 1 cent for me she was like here just take it.

Question?

What the heck can I do with these game guides???

Who is gonna buy them??? Craigslist and ebay are saturated already.

[quote name='MrYouTube']Scored today Miami Beach Best Buy.

Total spent 2 cents.

First one I got the cute cashier girl actually got such a laugh she paid the 1 cent for me she was like here just take it.

Question?

Who is gonna buy them??? Craigslist and ebay are saturated already.[/QUOTE]

Question?

Why did you buy them if you weren't going to use them? Getting them just to sale on the bay or where ever is pointless as so many people, as you now know, do the same thing. Give them to CAGs who will use them if you can't think of something to do with them.

Total spent 2 cents.

Question?

Most people here collect them, so if your looking to sell then I'd say throw them up in the trade section and put an asking price. Since most people here know how to get them cheap, don't expect to ask for MSRP and have someone buy it though. You may be lucky to get away with around $5 for each though depending on if someone REALLY wants it.

The BB nearby is cleared out.

Want
Alan Wake CE
Bioshock 2 LE
God of War III LE
Modnation Racers
Little Big Planet

Have

TONS of older guides, see my link.

[quote name='j-fever']The BB nearby is cleared out.

Want
Alan Wake CE
Bioshock 2 LE
God of War III LE
Modnation Racers
Little Big Planet

Have

TONS of older guides, see my link.[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread there, champ. The trading thread is -----> THAT way. Apparently you missed my semi nice plea with people to stop posting what they're looking for and what they have in here, which is the WRONG THREAD. And I quote:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Please take ALL guide trading discussion/posting to THIS THREAD:

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is THE LAST WARNING EVERYONE WILL GET. Anymore of this 'omg I have this and want this guide' stuff that I see and I'll ask one of the mods to come in and clean everything up and do whatever they feel is necessary to those who keep doing this.

boy im mad i missed this thread all these years. i finally got bowsers inside story a couple of weeks ago. got 3 singularity and 3 crackdown today

Shit! Singularity dropped? I missed that one yesterday and today when I made my 3 trips to the store that had everything. :(

Time to go back in the morning!

Picked up a couple more Pokemon Platinum, a LBP Superbook, Alan Wake CE(already taken), 3 more Star Wars TFU, and another Iron Man 2.

Man, Austin is a total crapshoot for these... tried N Austin... and Cedar Park (which just reorganized to a new layout, which is terrible) and got absolutely nothing.

Gonna try the Downtown Austin/Barbara Jordan location during my lunch break tomorrow. Really want the Alan Wake LE guide.

Total spent 2 cents.

Question?

If you're not going to use them, or collect them, or trade them away, i'd recommend that you hold onto to them. Keep it in a safe place. Every quarter or so, check to see if there's a demand for them.

ex. I had oblivion pc/360, tales of versperia, world of warcraft azeroth map, enchanted arms, and many others. One day, i decided to check if there was a market for them on eBay/Amazon and found out some of them were going for $15-$60 each. Just say I ended up selling a few of them since I hate using my job money to buy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back