Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dabamus']The Saboteur pennied at GS today. GO GO GO!!![/QUOTE]

Is that it? I'll head to gamestop later today and see what I can find, I'll see if I can get an employee to get me a full list if there is more. The employee's know that I know about penny guides and have given some to me before because I know :p

Ugh - I need some help, guys.

So I really want that Alan Wake LE. I was actually just bidding on EBay when I saw this thread, and was really happy to see it drop to a penny. My local Best Buy had 2 copies.

Ive never bought a penny guide before, so I read the OP and just tried to be as casual as possible, but the girl wouldnt do it. She told me that "the register is having problems", and charged me full price. For some stupid reason (mostly because there was 1 Alan Wake LE guide left on the shelf), I just bought it. I didn't want to draw attention to it, and figured I could always return it.

I just hit the 2 other Best Buys in my area, and neither had any copies. So now Im sitting here with it, and Im $37 lighter - which sucks. What can I do?

Im debating just going to a different Best Buy and pleading for a price adjustment, saying that a friend of mine just got it for a penny, and I just paid $37. If that doesn't work, I'll just return it outright.

The other thing is I know there's 1 guide left at the other Best Buy. Part of me wants to wait until later in the day, when shifts have changed, and go back and try for that one. Then return the one I bought earlier tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Im not a pro like you guys, I just have really wanted this LE forever and couldn't afford it. I didnt want to draw attention to it, so I bought it at full price today knowing I could return it, and just am wondering what the best chance I have at getting it for a penny is now. Thanks a lot for your help.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Is that it? I'll head to gamestop later today and see what I can find, I'll see if I can get an employee to get me a full list if there is more. The employee's know that I know about penny guides and have given some to me before because I know :p[/QUOTE]

That was it. As I said above, the store that had them pulled and marked @$.01 only had that one and they said that was the only one that dropped. The other stores I went to didn't even know they pennied.

[quote name='mxmarks']Ugh - I need some help, guys.

So I really want that Alan Wake LE. I was actually just bidding on EBay when I saw this thread, and was really happy to see it drop to a penny. My local Best Buy had 2 copies.

Ive never bought a penny guide before, so I read the OP and just tried to be as casual as possible, but the girl wouldnt do it. She told me that "the register is having problems", and charged me full price. For some stupid reason (mostly because there was 1 Alan Wake LE guide left on the shelf), I just bought it. I didn't want to draw attention to it, and figured I could always return it.

I just hit the 2 other Best Buys in my area, and neither had any copies. So now Im sitting here with it, and Im $37 lighter - which sucks. What can I do?

Im debating just going to a different Best Buy and pleading for a price adjustment, saying that a friend of mine just got it for a penny, and I just paid $37. If that doesn't work, I'll just return it outright.

The other thing is I know there's 1 guide left at the other Best Buy. Part of me wants to wait until later in the day, when shifts have changed, and go back and try for that one. Then return the one I bought earlier tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Im not a pro like you guys, I just have really wanted this LE forever and couldn't afford it. I didnt want to draw attention to it, so I bought it at full price today knowing I could return it, and just am wondering what the best chance I have at getting it for a penny is now. Thanks a lot for your help.[/QUOTE]

Return the one that the girl lied to you about, and just try to buy the other one.

Any suggestions? Im not a pro like you guys, I just have really wanted this LE forever and couldn't afford it. I didnt want to draw attention to it, so I bought it at full price today knowing I could return it, and just am wondering what the best chance I have at getting it for a penny is now. Thanks a lot for your help.[/QUOTE]

Just return it. The sheer number of resellers on this forum means you will be able to pick it up for MUCH LESS than $37 via Amazon or ebay. The AW LE is really just two books you can buy separately in one. There's no collector's value to it.

yo mxmarks, i would stash the guide you want, then lock on to employee shift changes, how often the employee denied you is there, etc., and then go back when its not that person. It all comes down to the clerk ringing you up and if they're cool with it or not and don't freak out..

I think your best bet would be to try again with a different cashier. Of course, it's possible the manager is cracking down and all the cashiers will deny you. It's also possible that the remaining Alan Wake CE will be pulled if the girl cashier alerts the manager anyways.

There's not a lot you can do if the cashier decides to manually adjust to full price; they aren't supposed to sell the guides at a penny in the first place. If you're really desperate, maybe you could return the Alan Wake CE guide to a different Best Buy who are more lenient with penny sales and hope they put it back onto the shelf afterwards?

I got Codes And Cheats Spring 2010. The girl at the cashier was amazed and was gonna ask somebody about it being 1c but didn't and just sold it to me.(I pay with 1c I found on the counter lol)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I think in a little while Ill go try and get a price adjust at a different Best Buy. I know the chances of it working are slim to none, but Ill just say I was told it was a computer error, but a friend just was sold the guide for a penny, so I'd like that adjusted or I'd like to return it. I'll be very polite, and maybe Ill get someone who would rather keep a customer happy than destroy the guide, and it will work. If not, I'd be returning it anyway.

Then I'll head to the Best Buy with one left and try purchasing it with other items. I could pick up a few CD's anyway, and maybe that will help. Wish me luck, and thanks again!

I saw the Assassins Creed 2 Collectors edition guide (hardcover) in my bestbuy is that a penny or is it a different one the OP says LE guide is a penny I am not sure if thats the same as collectors edition

[quote name='paintballers']I saw the Assassins Creed 2 Collectors edition guide (hardcover) in my bestbuy is that a penny or is it a different one the OP says LE guide is a penny I am not sure if thats the same as collectors edition[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Assassin's Creed 2 CE is not on the penny list at Best Buy.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I'm pretty sure Assassin's Creed 2 CE is not on the penny list at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

The fact that nowhere under Best Buy does it say Assassin's Creed 2 CE is a strong indication for me as well.

But I will gladly trade some one 18 different guides for a AC2 CE guide from best buy.

(and now I sit back and wait for IATCCG's head to explode.)

[quote name='mxmarks']Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I think in a little while Ill go try and get a price adjust at a different Best Buy. I know the chances of it working are slim to none, but Ill just say I was told it was a computer error, but a friend just was sold the guide for a penny, so I'd like that adjusted or I'd like to return it. I'll be very polite, and maybe Ill get someone who would rather keep a customer happy than destroy the guide, and it will work. If not, I'd be returning it anyway.

Then I'll head to the Best Buy with one left and try purchasing it with other items. I could pick up a few CD's anyway, and maybe that will help. Wish me luck, and thanks again![/QUOTE]

I always just say that I heardfrom a friend it was on clearance. And I never buy guides I REaLLY want alone (I always grab something else and have them ring it up first). I haven't been denied yet, though. (although, it did come close, once, with a single Tekken 6 guide, of all things!)

[quote name='Shan82']I always just say that I heardfrom a friend it was on clearance. And I never buy guides I REaLLY want alone (I always grab something else and have them ring it up first). I haven't been denied yet, though. (although, it did come close, once, with a single Tekken 6 guide, of all things!)[/QUOTE]

Agree with Shan's advice. Do the following:

1. Hang onto the copy you have for now.
2. Go try to buy the other one on a different shift
3. Buy the other one with something else you might want, something small, or something you are OK to come back and return later
4. If questioned, use the line so many of us use: "i think this is on clearance, can you check it for me? If they give you a surprised look about it being a penny, just casually say, this is the clearance price just like you guys often clearance the DVD preorder extras after the movie has been out for a while'.
5. If you're not successful getting the remaining guide at a penny, take a close look at the guide you still have in your hands.
6. Return that guide at the store. do NOT ask for a price adjustment, chances are very slim that you will succeed.
7. While you're returning it, just tell them that you actually wanted to use a gift card on it but you forgot to bring it with you the first time, and can she please hand the guide back to you so you can repurchase it at the register. If they want to just ring you up immediately, let them know there are other things you want to buy.
8. Steps 7&8 worked successfully for me on a Fallout 3 GOTY LE. YMMV, of course.

Just an update guys. Thanks a ton for all your help.

I went back to the first Best Buy, and long story short the same manager didnt allow it. I grabbed some CDs, the last copy of the guide and went to a different register. He couldnt have been nicer, but said he had to ask. He asked the same manager, who proceeded to explain to me I already should know its not a penny, and I politely told her that she told me it was a computer error the first time, but this time the computer is working fine, so I wanted to try again. She got really mad and went and grabbed all the copies of the guide off the shelf (even though they weren't CE's...), and the cashier and I talked about how great Alan Wake is as she stomped off.

At this point I was about to follow your advice with the gift card thing at the other Best Buy, and I decided I was just too tired and would be honest. Not that anything you guys suggested is really DIShonest, but I just didnt feel like again trying to find a way around things. I explained to the customer service guy that it rings up at a penny, and I paid the $35 after being told it was a computer error - but it clearly keeps ringing up at a penny, so if there's anything he could do about it I'd appreciate it, and if not I'd like to return it.

He went in the back and came back out saying he couldnt do anything. I said that was ok, and I'd just like a refund then. He did a lot of typing at the computer, sighed and said "I have one more idea." He went to the back of the store, to the video game section, and spoke to someone. After talking with the guy for a minute he came back and said "Yeah - we'll give it to you." He refunded me $37.98, and I thanked him. I made sure to tell the guy he was talking to (who had a different colored shirt and appeared to be a manager of the video game section or something) that I really appreciated the help, and that he was one of the best employees Ive ever dealt with at Best Buy.

So while Im very aware that Im in a VERY small minority and VERY lucky - just wanted to share the story. Sometimes it pays, when all else fails, to just ask and be polite about it. Im sure he felt pretty good for being able to help me out, and Im going to frequent that Best Buy much more often in the future. Everyone wins. =)

[quote name='mxmarks'] Everyone wins. =)[/QUOTE]

Except the first manager, who still sucks.

congrats though. it's a nice guide. I liked the artbook a lot.

Return the one you got 1st off.
2nd thing I've learned, NEVER just bring one guide up to the register if you can help it. When you have one they always say its a register error, you bring like 5-6 and they question a Team leader and usually let you get em all. Thats how my experiences have been. Be cool and usually try to go for someone who looks like they dont give a shit. You can tell most of the time who's gonna be anal. Oh and dont worry about adding a little pressure, it rings up for a penny why the hell would you want it for $40? Dont be an ass, but seriously if they were in your shoes they wouldnt pay full price either after they saw what it rang up as. So point that out, you could at least get some kind of percentage off.

Just read the conclusion, good for you and glad it worked out! :)

Grabbed The Saboteur, two of them. So crazy, the store I went to, the manager just let me have penny guides before and said she would 'adjust the system' later. Today, she had no clue and look bewildered by the guide being a penny, rang it up and took my money. But I did roll my EDGE card into that new Power card or whatever, that seemed cool!

Sonofabitch. That's one of the ones I wanted(along with the Just Cause 2 guide), so hopefully my go-to store is still holding me one of the Saboteur guides. If the JC 2 guide somehow pennied at the same time, then :drool:. I guess I know where I'm headed tomorrow(since it's already too late to go there tonight:bomb:).

Sonofabitch. That's one of the ones I wanted(along with the Just Cause 2 guide), so hopefully my go-to store is still holding me one of the Saboteur guides. If the JC 2 guide somehow pennied at the same time, then :drool:. I guess I know where I'm headed tomorrow(since it's already too late to go there tonight:bomb:).
[quote name='paintballers']I saw the Assassins Creed 2 Collectors edition guide (hardcover) in my bestbuy is that a penny or is it a different one the OP says LE guide is a penny I am not sure if thats the same as collectors edition[/QUOTE]
For those(see above) who can't read apparently, the Assassin's Creed 2 CE version guide did NOT drop this time at Best Buy. However it DID drop at Gamestop wayyyyy back in MARCH of 2010. So if you find one at Gamestop, it WILL ring up a penny(unless the clerk/manager waiting on you overrides the price, making it MSRP again). As to whether or not you will get it for a penny or they will hand it to you for free is totally up to the employees though. Again, see below for where the AC2 CE DID drop already. Here's a hint, it WASN'T fuckin' Best Buy!!!!:bomb:

>>>Dropped on 03.18.10

No penny guides at the Best Buy Hampton, Va store. Save sometime for other people. They do have alot of AC2 LE and LoZ LE(the green cover one.) Waiting on these to drop :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Was I not clear enough in my last post?:rofl:[/QUOTE]
Crystal....hehe....GS still gives no love around here unless you are giving some.....
I got no "in" so I'm out at GS.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Crystal....hehe....GS still gives no love around here unless you are giving some.....
I got no "in" so I'm out at GS.[/QUOTE]
:lol: I only have 'in' with the workers at the closest one since I was putting down a ton of pre-orders for a while. But with Blockbuster and HWV either teetering on the brink of the abyss or already gone there went a good portion of my games I was using to pad those tons of pre-orders. Couple that with the desert that Kmart and Sears have become for CHEAP games and my perfect storm to build credit there is long gone.

If not for the cheap credit I would probably never set foot in a Gamestop store.:puke::whistle2:# Oh well. There's always buying up tons of $.99 HDMI cables from NewEgg/etc and getting $5.77 each for them.:lol: But I wonder how many dozen of those before the employees would say ENOUGH.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: I only have 'in' with the workers at the closest one since I was putting down a ton of pre-orders for a while. But with Blockbuster and HWV either teetering on the brink of the abyss or already gone there went a good portion of my games I was using to pad those tons of pre-orders. Couple that with the desert that Kmart and Sears have become for CHEAP games and my perfect storm to build credit there is long gone.

If not for the cheap credit I would probably never set foot in a Gamestop store.:puke::whistle2:# Oh well. There's always buying up tons of $.99 HDMI cables from NewEgg/etc and getting $5.77 each for them.:lol: But I wonder how many dozen of those before the employees would say ENOUGH.[/QUOTE]
Do they really buy HDMI cables if so which ones haha.?

[quote name='luischav3z']Do they really buy HDMI cables if so which ones haha.?[/QUOTE]
As far as I know they buy mostly male to male ones(usual kind used in connecting game systems and so on to a tv or other HD source) and I think they'll buy any length. The ones I was looking at were either 3 or 4 feet only.

Quite a few places online to buy one or a dozen at a time for a buck or under.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As far as I know they buy mostly male to male ones(usual kind used in connecting game systems and so on to a tv or other HD source) and I think they'll buy any length. The ones I was looking at were either 3 or 4 feet only.

Quite a few places online to buy one or a dozen at a time for a buck or under.[/QUOTE]

I got to try that. how much was the best you got for them

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Was I not clear enough in my last post?:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Can i price match the Assassins Creed 2 LE guide at Best Buy if I show them a youtube video of someone getting it for a penny at Gamestop?

[quote name='confoosious']Can i price match the Assassins Creed 2 LE guide at Best Buy if I show them a youtube video of someone getting it for a penny at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]
No. But take a receipt from Gamestop after getting it for a penny there and price match it to Circui....errrrr wait, that won't work anymore.:lol:;)

[quote name='confoosious']Can i price match the Assassins Creed 2 LE guide at Best Buy if I show them a youtube video of someone getting it for a penny at Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Yeah if you have the receipt from previous guides you had bought for 1c they do price match.!:whistle2:$

Found a big haul at Best Buy in Salem, NH. Caused a big stir, as the cashier freaked. The manager responded to her with "there's a site on the internet." Why do they insist on making me feel like a thief because they have a dumb ass system for making stuff as not for sale? Anyway, they let me take them, and though I left plenty of extras, they asked the associate for a list of the guides I bought. Also scored in Saugus , MA. Cashier was cool, and there are still some left, especially if you want Bakugan, but there was also 1 Alan Wake and plenty of Alpha Protocol.

From Salem:
2x Alan Wake Survival Bundle
2x Alpha Protocol
1 Modnation Racers
1 Iron Man 2
1 Crackdown 2
1 Bakugan
1 Kane and Lynch 2
1 Bakugan
1 Dead to Rights: Retribution
1 Red Steel

And from Saugus, MA
1 Alan Wake Survival Bundle
2 Alpha Protocol
1 Modnation Racers
1 Iron Man 2
1 Crackdown 2
1 Bakugan
1 Kane and Lynch 2
1 Codes and Cheats Spring

[quote name='murphyspub']Found a big haul at Best Buy in Salem, NH. Caused a big stir, as the cashier freaked. The manager responded to her with "there's a site on the internet." Why do they insist on making me feel like a thief because they have a dumb ass system for making stuff as not for sale? Anyway, they let me take them, and though I left plenty of extras, they asked the associate for a list of the guides I bought. Also scored in Saugus , MA. Cashier was cool, and there are still some left, especially if you want Bakugan, but there was also 1 Alan Wake and plenty of Alpha Protocol.

From Salem:
2x Alan Wake Survival Bundle
2x Alpha Protocol
1 Modnation Racers
1 Iron Man 2
1 Crackdown 2
1 Bakugan
1 Kane and Lynch 2
1 Bakugan
1 Red Steel

And from Saugus, MA
1 Alan Wake Survival Bundle
2 Alpha Protocol
1 Modnation Racers
1 Iron Man 2
1 Crackdown 2
1 Bakugan
1 Kane and Lynch 2
1 Codes and Cheats Spring[/QUOTE]
Nice ;)

My Bestbuy also made feel/treated me like a theif. It was so bad that after I actually purchased thew guides, the secuirty dude in front of the door wouldn't let me leave and tried to make me return them to customer services. I flat out told him he couldn't do that and left. I then called cooperate to complained and they completely understood.

If they don't want us buying these guides, then they need to simply do their jobs and remove them.

I was so uncomfortable...everyone (customers/employees) stopped what they were doing and just starred at me like I was stealing.

[quote name='kevzik']My Bestbuy also made feel/treated me like a theif. It was so bad that after I actually purchased thew guides, the secuirty dude in front of the door wouldn't let me leave and tried to make me return them to customer services. I flat out told him he couldn't do that and left. I then called cooperate to complained and they completely understood.

If they don't want us buying these guides, then they need to simply do their jobs and remove them.

I was so uncomfortable...everyone (customers/employees) stopped what they were doing and just starred at me like I was stealing.[/QUOTE]

If the security guard person knew you were getting guides for a penny, you were probably causing a scene of some sort for him to take notice. I don't believe they monitor every sale and watch for if anything gets sold for a penny.

[quote name='Ultragamer']If the security guard person knew you were getting guides for a penny, you were probably causing a scene of some sort for him to take notice. I don't believe they monitor every sale and watch for if anything gets sold for a penny.[/QUOTE]

No, the BB security person at the front is usually too busy:
1. Saying robotically, "Hi, welcome to Best Buy." (Oh, crap, thanks! I thought this was Food Lion...)
2. Hobnobbing with the police officer who has been assigned to hang out at the store full time. ("Yeah, I prefer Glocks myself...")
3. Ensuring every item you bring for return/exchange is tagged with A) sticker that will take Customer Service person 5 minutes to remove while 8 people fume in line); B) their personal mark, hand-scrawled with the Special Silver Marker; C) the blood of a freshly-killed chicken. OK, I made one of those up.

[quote name='kevzik']I then called cooperate to complained and they completely understood.

If they don't want us buying these guides, then they need to simply do their jobs and remove them.[/QUOTE]What was the point in calling corporate? If anything it just highlights this issue and could bring about changes to how BB handles these guides... You might not have been welcomed at the store but at the end of the day you ended up with a bunch of penny guides; don't see how you can still be mad after that :bouncy: I think I speak for everyone here that we would like to see penny guides continue to be available rather than BB "doing their job".

[quote name='Zippon']
It's not a stretch to imagine that the conspicuous consumption of penny guides at BB (re: walking out with "stacks" of guides) is the reason corporate has stepped up training to defeat penny guides via pre-pulls or stopping the sale at the register. Just like with the occasional free game glitch, I don't think it's their system noticing it so much as a manager hearing about it from a cashier and e-mailing HQ. Which could happen if someone buys ONE penny guide or free game but is far more likely when someone gets 9 games or 20 penny guides in one visit. That kind of display causes discussion amongst bored cashiers. Food for thought....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='murphyspub']Found a big haul at Best Buy in Salem, NH. Caused a big stir, as the cashier freaked. The manager responded to her with "there's a site on the internet." [/QUOTE]

[quote name='kevzik'] I then called cooperate to complained and they completely understood.

If they don't want us buying these guides, then they need to simply do their jobs and remove them.[/QUOTE]

The lack of common sense is astounding. :dunce:

PENNY GUIDES ARE A GLITCH. Pointing out the glitch, or demanding they honor it--RESULTS IN THE GLITCH BEING FIXED. In other words, NO MORE PENNY GUIDES.

[quote name='Zippon']The lack of common sense is astounding. :dunce:

PENNY GUIDES ARE A GLITCH. Pointing out the glitch, or demanding they honor it--RESULTS IN THE GLITCH BEING FIXED. In other words, NO MORE PENNY GUIDES.[/QUOTE]

A glitch is defined as a minor malfunction, usually transient. As I understand it, penny guides are entirely intentional: they're priced at a penny as a flag to dispose them. I guess you could consider selling penny guides to be a glitch, but considering that the POS systems at BB and GS have been ringing them up for at least a couple of years (in my experience), there's nothing transient about it.

I agree completely about common sense not being common, but considering I've seen 1 cent shelf labels under guides at more than one BB store, you've got to wonder if these helmets are really telling BB anything they don't already know.

I've tried to fight the hoarding/grab all them s----- mentality here in the past, but let's be honest: people that behave that way don't care what we think and aren't going to change.

[quote name='kevzik']My Bestbuy also made feel/treated me like a theif. It was so bad that after I actually purchased thew guides, the secuirty dude in front of the door wouldn't let me leave and tried to make me return them to customer services. I flat out told him he couldn't do that and left. I then called cooperate to complained and they completely understood.

I was so uncomfortable...everyone (customers/employees) stopped what they were doing and just starred at me like I was stealing.[/QUOTE]

...brilliant...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back