Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you guys who like dumpster diving, try and find out when gs has an inventory count. That's the day you want to dumpster dive. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've found.

I think there's a rule regarding the "trickle out" nature of drop lists:

If you are extremely interested in one guide in particular, then the report that the guide has dropped will be posted on CAG immediately after you finish checking every store in your area for the previously posted list of "meh" guides, and not until someone has posted that the previously posted list is indeed the complete list of everything that dropped.

I'm going to call this "IATCG's Corollary."

[quote name='DjHero_X']Went diving in my area nothing found. I'll try later this week. Is DD illegal also?[/QUOTE]
It depends on the area really. You should check the laws in your area specifically before attempting to dumpster dive. Moreover if stopped by security or the police and you find out that the practice is allowed, bring along a few cardboard boxes and keep them in the backseat of your car.

When stopped by police, tell them you're moving and are looking for free boxes.

Man, back in Vegas I had a couple stores that would just give me the guides. Utah sucks big fucking dick.

At this point, I've resigned to buying the guides I want from Amazon (or price-matching TRU's B2G1 free sale at Best Buy). I know it costs more, but what the hell.

[quote name='karkyco']LOL you guys with the locked dumpsters need to learn how to pick locks. :lol:

Just imagine these locked dumpsters as magical, real world treasure chests. Some have traps (aka restaurant waste), while others have treaures beyond your wildest imaginations.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was so many flys at one dumpster that when I walked 100feet back to the car some flys followed me and got in the car with me :(

[quote name='kiribee']Yeah, there was so many flys at one dumpster that when I walked 100feet back to the car some flys followed me and got in the car with me :([/QUOTE]

pigpen.gif

Yes, I know it's really a cloud of dirt.

Id dumper dive for certain LE and CE guides. But one of my Gamestops dumpsters is quite out in the open. Easy driver by insult fodder.

I haven't found any guides in dumpsters, but I did find some in store again today.

Even Bestbuy still had some guides up.
I'm surprised that there were so many older guides not pulled.

First from Gamestop I picked up,

Army of two : 40th day
Bioshock 2 (soft cover)
Brutal Legend
DS Pocket Guide
God of War Collection
God of War Ultimate Edition
Nier
Red Steel 2
The Saboteur
WoW: Dungeon Companion 3

From Bestbuy I got,
Alpha Protocol
Bakugan
Crackdown 2
Dead to rights retribution
Iron Man 2
Modnation Racers

I never got denied yet, except that one time when they were already pulled & behind the counter...although I did go back and he let me pick out a guide I didn't have.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Are we really dumpster diving now? Really?[/QUOTE]

More like trash pickup/unofficial game guide garbage man

I'm going to have to remember to visit the stores AFTER closing, and not the morning after. I visited one GS at 7am today and the trucks already came and emptied out the dumpsters :|

[quote name='kiribee']Yeah, there was so many flys at one dumpster that when I walked 100feet back to the car some flys followed me and got in the car with me :([/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl:

I've known at least 1-2 CAG's who have DD'ed to get guides before(not mentioning any names though:razz:). Would I do it or have I done it? I admit I've peeked inside a dumpster or two by a Gamestop before, only to find some promo materials and such covered in leftovers from Subway and other garbage from the other stores in the shopping center.

The only other GS store around here out in an open shopping center is unfortunately located right next door to a tattoo shop.:puke: Moreover, the clerks who work there are asshats and have gotten smug with me before about 'doing everything by the book' when I asked about guides that I knew had dropped.:roll:

Matter of fact they took distinct pleasure in telling me that(and I quote): "Ripped the covers off like we're supposed to and tossed the rest in the garbage can, then dumped my soda on top of the remnants".

I've dumpster dived/leaned in once. The gamestop said they just dumped their guides in the cardboard only dumpster in the back - so i walked out and pulled out the big box that had like 50 guides it.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Are we really dumpster diving now? Really?[/QUOTE]

I want to clarify that I, like others, "dumpster-leaned." At no point during the process were both of my feet off of the ground at any one time. I will admit there was a leg up during moments of extreme reaching. :lol:

I went to an out of the way Best Buy and ended up having a good haul... plenty of guides from last 2 drops (I didn't know about reduced price guides till about a month ago so I was happy to pick up some older ones):

Alpha Protocol
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Crackdown 2
Darksiders (2)
Dragon Age Origins CE (2)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (2)
The Godfather II
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (2)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (3)
Modnation Racers

Went to gamestop again and grabbed the remaining lot of guides before they threw them out.

WoW Wrath of the Lich King x17
Alpha Protocol x3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance

I think I might throw some of the WoW guides to the library's around here for donation since they have strategy guides at them already. Other than that not really sure what I plan to do with all these. Not quite enough for a guide throne(yet).

I went to another Gamestop today & they had a bunch of guides on the shelf still. I grabbed a few of them and went up to the counter and then the guy said he'll brb.

When he came back he said he wasn't allowed to sell/give them away and that they were all going to be shipped back to "corporate".

After that employee left to do whatever, I talked to the other guy there and he said he couldn't give/sell me any guides either, but then he said to come back after closing and search the dumpster..

I guess I'm going back, I just hope I can find the dumpster they use, since it's in a strip mall with dozens of other dumpsters.

*update*

I went back at 11pm and searched the dumpsters & it looked like they didn't dump them yet...nothing was out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought by rule, Best Buy was supposed to pull the penny guides, correct? Mine has slapped $.01 stickers on them and put them on the clearance shelf.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']I thought by rule, Best Buy was supposed to pull the penny guides, correct? Mine has slapped $.01 stickers on them and put them on the clearance shelf.[/QUOTE]
It depends. Both of my local stores pull them religiously, but if they're anything like Gamestop they actually apply $.01 stickers to the cover BEFORE tossing them in the dumpster.:roll:

But I have seen the penny stickers and even a penny shelf label for guides before.

It's rare and I'd kill to have a BB store like that by me, so take full advantage of it while you can. That is, if there's anything left on the shelves. But if it were me I would only go after the LE/CE/SE ones anymore or the ones for really popular games(ala Little Big Planet Super Book). Most of the rest is shit that's only good for trading into Amazon's book buyback program.

OK, thanks for the response. They didn't have much left in clearance, maybe 5-6 books. The first day the recent drop list was posted here, I had grabbed one of each of what they had. The funny part today was that, despite putting some books on the clearance shelf, they still had a few of the recent drops still marked at full price on the regular shelf.

That's a good thing too though when stuff is marked full price on the normal shelf.

I used to walk in with a cart, go over to the guide rack and just start picking them up off the shelf at like 2-3 pm or whenever I got there. Now unless you get there at opening on drop day you're SOL unless some newbie employees start restocking the pulled guides.

I stopped by the Gamestop in the mall today to hopefully score some guides. First I slapped down a pre-order on Black Ops to show a little faith, then casually said that a "friend" came in one time and the employees gave him some guides they were just about to toss out. The two guys working told me they had just thrown out a bunch, but that they would have given them to me if I was a little earlier.

Now comes the waiting game until the next drop......

I'd love to score some free guides, but dumpster diving is not my thing, unless they happen to be sitting on top or under a few broken down boxes.

I have friends out of state that would dumpster dive food, not because they had to either. Their main dumpster diving consisted of behind a Little Cesaer's. A few of them got sick one time after eating a bunch of Hostess Twinkies & other crap.

It's really interesting how some people say they "have no money" when they have a few thousand in the bank & resort to dumpster diving or mooching off of friend's for food.

/end rant

:lol:

Actually, I went the other day and had a look behind my GS and there were several dumpsters. I swear, it was, like, national smoke-break time though since there were probably a good 5-10 people in this back area 'smoking'. I grabbed some trash from the car I needed to throw away anyways and went up to the dumpster to toss it. I had a good look in, but I could feel them all staring at me, so I backe of and didn't get to check under the cardboard like I wanted to. :(

On a different note, the show, Bones starts off (this week) with a dumpster diving scene where a couple is looking to grab some food ... gross! :x

I had an interesting experience at a GS yesterday. I went to a store that had a decent amount of pennied guides. I chose 6 and took them up to the counter. When the girl scanned the first one, she told me that I would get that one for free. Then she scanned two more and realized that they were all a penny. She talked to her co-worker about the guides and started checking the computer. Then she told me that they weren't sure if some of the guides were supposed to be pennied since they were "fairly recent". She said that they would have to hold the guides so they could verify that they had indeed pennied. She told me come back the next day if I wanted the guides.

I have a feeling that when I return today, the guides will have conveniently disappeared. I just hope that they won't have made me return only to tell me that they can't sell them to me. That would really piss me off. The girl did say that they had to sell them to me at that price if they were pennied. I'll see.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I'd love to score some free guides, but dumpster diving is not my thing, unless they happen to be sitting on top or under a few broken down boxes.

I have friends out of state that would dumpster dive food, not because they had to either. Their main dumpster diving consisted of behind a Little Cesaer's. A few of them got sick one time after eating a bunch of Hostess Twinkies & other crap.

It's really interesting how some people say they "have no money" when they have a few thousand in the bank & resort to dumpster diving or mooching off of friend's for food.

/end rant

:lol:[/QUOTE]
MSNBC a while ago did a whole documentary on the 'freegan' lifestyle. They showed a couple folks DD'ing behind a Panera Bread just after closing and they found whole bags full of bread that was just baked that day. A couple neighbors of mine in my old neighborhood used to DD behind the one supermarket right down the road and both of them lived to a very old age.

It's kind of sickening when you think about how much food is wasted in this country just because it's either 'past expiration date' or their company would lose money and they'd rather dumpster it than donate it to a soup kitchen.
[quote name='Shan82']Actually, I went the other day and had a look behind my GS and there were several dumpsters. I swear, it was, like, national smoke-break time though since there were probably a good 5-10 people in this back area 'smoking'. I grabbed some trash from the car I needed to throw away anyways and went up to the dumpster to toss it. I had a good look in, but I could feel them all staring at me, so I backe of and didn't get to check under the cardboard like I wanted to. :(

On a different note, the show, Bones starts off (this week) with a dumpster diving scene where a couple is looking to grab some food ... gross! :x[/QUOTE]
That's a common site in many areas now(the smoking thing), since many states have smoking bans in place and workers have to be X number of feet from the businesses to even light up anymore.

The only time I tried looking for some guides in a dumpster it was broad daylight and there were 3-5 dumpsters there. Two or three were locked and the other two were mostly empty save for some of Subway's garbage and some plastic in the other one.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']MSNBC a while ago did a whole documentary on the 'freegan' lifestyle. They showed a couple folks DD'ing behind a Panera Bread just after closing and they found whole bags full of bread that was just baked that day. It's kind of sickening when you think about how much food is wasted in this country just because it's either 'past expiration date' or their company would lose money and they'd rather dumpster it than donate it to a soup kitchen.[/QUOTE]This annoys me and does confirm that we are a wasteful society. One of the things about penny guides that kind of pisses me off is that these books are not being recycled. Rather than take a little extra effort to recycle the books (so they could be used to make more) they just toss them in the dumpster. Seeing how many Gamestop locations there are this would amount to a very large amount of paper that could be re-used.

It's not only Gamestop though. My one buddy found a big ass LCD HDtv that was a display model that reached end of life at Circuit City when they were still around.

It was in their dumpster with the power cord cut in a couple of places, but otherwise it was intact. He took it home, found a cord for it and it has been working like a charm ever since.

I guess rather than discount it steeply they would rather have junked it out and get some sort of credit from the manufacturer for doing so.

But virtually every company contributes to this type of waste. Rather than donate end of life products(like Target does to Goodwill and so on in many areas) they end up junking them.

I guess my BB doesn't really pull guides. I stopped by today and they have quite a few from the recent drop and even some from the June-ish drop. Nothing of interest to me though so I didn't pick anything up.

I think I'll go check out Gamestop tomorrow. I never thought about checking the dumpster. The GS by me only has a UPS store next to it so it'd just be mostly packaging I would think. Still not too fond of the idea.

Some GS stores here had 30+ guides behind the counter days ago, but I still never seen any in a dumpster yet. :(

I found a GS with some Harvest Moon Leaf Valley guides so I picked up a few those.

I also found a BB that actually marks there guides as being pennied out & they still had a GOWIII Ultimate Edition.

Well, decided to see what was left at a few Best Buys, got more then I expected. One store stopped me from taking the 20 Star Wars Guides they had and let me take 1 of each guide, but something is better then nothing, at least I finally found a store that still had the Bioshock guide.

[quote name='Drkirby']Well, decided to see what was left at a few Best Buys, got more then I expected. One store stopped me from taking the 20 Star Wars Guides they had and let me take 1 of each guide, but something is better then nothing, at least I finally found a store that still had the Bioshock guide.[/QUOTE]

Well, 20 of the same guide at the same time makes you look like a re-seller. I think you'd have better luck if you brought only 8-9 total (actually, the fewer, the better; 2-3 of the same guide max) to a cashier at one time. Then act all surprised at the price, and say "Wow, what a great deal! Can I get a couple extra for some friends?"

Besides, what would you do with 20 SW:FU guides?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Well, 20 of the same guide at the same time makes you look like a re-seller. I think you'd have better luck if you brought only 8-9 total (actually, the fewer, the better; 2-3 of the same guide max) to a cashier at one time. Then act all surprised at the price, and say "Wow, what a great deal! Can I get a couple extra for some friends?"

Besides, what would you do with 20 SW:FU guides?[/QUOTE]

I had at max 4 of each guide, and my first haul was 40 guides!

Oh, here's the log from my bank log online:
10/06/2010 POS Debit $0.01
Memo: BEST BUY #168 MENTOR OH 4376
10/06/2010 POS Debit $0.07
Memo: BEST BUY #271 MAYFIELD HGHTOH 4376
10/05/2010 POS Debit $0.04
Memo: BEST BUY #271 MAYFIELD HGHTOH 4376
10/04/2010 POS Debit $0.11
Memo: BEST BUY #1099 STRONGSVILLE OH 4376
10/04/2010 POS Debit $0.43

[quote name='dabamus']Oh, here's the log from my bank log online:
[/QUOTE]

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
(Eddie Murphy's voice from "48 Hours" in my head, paraphrasing his bar scene line: "too ------- ------ to have a bank account.")

[quote name='kiribee']I usually just buy 2-3 at a time, and if they sell them to me, go back and buy the rest :)[/QUOTE]
I've always taken an all or nothing approach where I bring up everything I want from the drop first and foremost, so that way if I try going back for the rest of the dreck and they deny me I at least get what I came in looking for.;)

I tried the 2-3 method during that one glitched drop a while back(where half the guides went back up to MSRP) and I was lucky I got out of there with 5-6 guides when I did as a manager shut me down on getting anymore when I came back in after my 'test run'.

If they're gonna deny me, it's gonna happen if I grab two or twenty two, so I might as well go for them all.

I know some say 'you should buy something else to mask the purchase' and I've tried that before as well with limited success. Of course I usually came right back in after buying said extra item and returned it, since I didn't bring up something I wanted to pay their prices for.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If they're gonna deny me, it's gonna happen if I grab two or twenty two, so I might as well go for them all.[/QUOTE]

If anyone's going to get denied on the penny guides for any reason possible it's going to be you :D

Reading this reminds me of the one time you tried to save a beat up wrestling guide at my local TRU that was stuck and they denied you.

[quote name='FOnewearl']If anyone's going to get denied on the penny guides for any reason possible it's going to be you :D

Reading this reminds me of the one time you tried to save a beat up wrestling guide at my local TRU that was stuck and they denied you.[/QUOTE]
You're going by when I told the story of that or that was you there in the same aisle cuz I remember a few people looking to see wtf I was trying to do.:lol:

I think BB/GS corporate have both sent out memos saying 'DO NOT SELL PENNIED GUIDES TO THIS GUY' with my photo attached.:lol:

What really sucks is that the Stroudsburg BB store that JUST opened within the last two years STILL has those hardass African American chicks working there who deny me every damned time now.:roll: Retail jobs are normally a 6 months and done type of job unless you just can't find anything else or no one is really hiring.

I really miss Syracuse(NY) area though, three malls, three Best Buys and innumerable other GS/TRU/etc stores.:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back