Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XII(Stock locator trick FAQ added to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

To expand on this, if you come off as DEMANDING, then you'll likely be barred from the store and possibly banned from ALL of their stores entirely. Moreover, you may be charged with trespassing if you continue to press this, as retail stores are PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The penny price is NOT an actual price that the stores HAVE to sell the merchandise for, it is a 'marker' in their system to the employees to pull/destroy those items. The fact that we as CAG's get ANY of these means that employees are not doing their jobs correctly and we are very lucky to even get them in the first place.

So don't press your luck and ruin it for everyone by being an asshole to a manager/cashier who just wants to keep their job by doing what they're supposed to.

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price or 3) There are multiple versions of the guide and the one you grabbed is a newer version that has NOT pennied as of yet. Some examples of this are: The Godfather and Oblivion.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Best Buy Stock Locator FAQ to find stock for deleted SKU's(works for games and guides):

Here's a good little trick that some of you may already know. If you want to find out if your local Best Buy has stock of an item, but the page(and SKU) for it has been deleted you can STILL find/create a stock locator page for it.

Here's how to do it:

Google the item you're looking for the SKU for. Once you find it, take that SKU and copy/paste it into the URL for another item's stock locator page on BestBuy.com after where it says skuID=(example: blahblahblahblahskuID=2085453), then hit enter to reload the page with the new SKU in place of the old one and search away.:D

Unfortunately no such method exists for Gamestop at this time.

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

PLEASE USE THE THREAD TOOLS DROP DOWN MENU TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW THREAD, RATHER THAN WASTING A POST TO POST 'TAGGED'. THANKS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mistar Muffin']I pulled a New Super Mario Bros softcover guide (sealed) from a GS dumpster about 2 days ago. I would imagine it DID drop, yet does not appear to be a common find.[/QUOTE]

I got one as well Saturday. It pennied out Saturday as well.

Fffffffuuu I've never been able to get pennied guides, but having that fallout 3 goty edition one would come in so handy. Do you guys actually use these, or do you just collect them?

[quote name='Jbyrd117']Fffffffuuu I've never been able to get pennied guides, but having that fallout 3 goty edition one would come in so handy. Do you guys actually use these, or do you just collect them?[/QUOTE]

Some people use them others collect. Also it hasn't dropped at Bestbuy yet so wait until it drops there and there will be more people willing to trade/sell them and you'll have a good chance of getting one if you can't get it yourself.

I'll ask this again in case no one saw my post yesterday: Does anyone know the SKU for the Star Ocean: The Last Hope International guide at BB? I would like to use the stock locator trick, but I can't find that guide's SKU anywhere online.

[quote name='vigilante']i'll ask this again in case no one saw my post yesterday: Does anyone know the sku for the star ocean: The last hope international guide at bb? I would like to use the stock locator trick, but i can't find that guide's sku anywhere online.[/quote]

[quote name='Ultragamer']9743818[/QUOTE]Thanks; now I've confirmed what I'd been fearing: The SO:TLHI guide is rare to the point where no BBs anywhere near me carry it. :wall:

Ah well, there's always the option of trading. :)

I found the Resonance of Fate guide and White Knight Chronicles at my local Gamestop, and I was pretty stoked because I think these were supposed to be gone last year. I eagerly go to the register, also planning on buying a couple of games, but of course the cashier shoots me down and tells me he'll get fired if he sells/gives me the guides. :whistle2:/
I really wanted at least Resonance of Fate really bad! Damn. Maybe if I had gotten a different person they wouldn't have cared. So as always, YMMV.

I went to best buy in Holyoke, MA and asked the cashier to check the price on Mario galaxy collectors edition and it rung up $30.00. I don't think all best buys lower their guides to $0.01. I did hear a gamestop employee say to his co-worker that they already threw out some guides. I have no luck in my area.

[quote name='davidflecha17']I went to best buy in Holyoke, MA and asked the cashier to check the price on Mario galaxy collectors edition and it rung up $30.00. I don't think all best buys lower their guides to $0.01. I did hear a gamestop employee say to his co-worker that they already threw out some guides. I have no luck in my area.[/QUOTE]

It dropped at BBY?

[quote name='davidflecha17']I went to best buy in Holyoke, MA and asked the cashier to check the price on Mario galaxy collectors edition and it rung up $30.00. I don't think all best buys lower their guides to $0.01. I did hear a gamestop employee say to his co-worker that they already threw out some guides. I have no luck in my area.[/QUOTE]

Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2? Super Mario Galaxy 2 Collectors only dropped at Gamestop.

[quote name='Vigilante']Thanks; now I've confirmed what I'd been fearing: The SO:TLHI guide is rare to the point where no BBs anywhere near me carry it. :wall:

Ah well, there's always the option of trading. :)[/QUOTE]

That guide pennied out last year.

[quote name='hellmutt']That guide pennied out last year.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I just picked up a bunch from BB two days ago that pennied last october. 2 or 3 of them were actually marked as .01

[quote name='Vigilante']Thanks; now I've confirmed what I'd been fearing: The SO:TLHI guide is rare to the point where no BBs anywhere near me carry it. :wall:

Ah well, there's always the option of trading. :)[/QUOTE]

It pennied out at Best Buy in October.
I sold one on half.com for $20.
It's now up to $40 if you want one.

I'm not sure anybody is gonna trade you one for a Prince of Persia with Kung Fu Chicken on it.

[quote name='Ultragamer']9743818[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I added the Star Ocean: Last Hope International guide and SKU to the SKU list in the fifth post on the first page.

As for folks STILL not knowing which guides have dropped at which stores, I supposed the second and/or third posts aren't of real use?

Although I just noticed in the wiki post that the SMG hardcover(CE) and softcover(premier) aren't BOTH listed at Best Buy and both HAVE dropped to my recollection.

I'll edit it to reflect that now.

But probably what happened with davidflecha17 is that the clerk saw the price ring up $.01 and overrode it to MSRP before they noticed the penny price on the screen.

Folks, ya gotta PAY ATTENTION TO THE SCREEN when getting rung out at BB when buying guides or other stuff that'll ring up an unusual price.

[quote name='gordojones88']It pennied out at Best Buy in October.
I sold one on half.com for $20.
It's now up to $40 if you want one.

I'm not sure anybody is gonna trade you one for a Prince of Persia with Kung Fu Chicken on it.[/QUOTE]I'm aware that the guide pennied out months ago--I've just been looking for it ever since, and I wanted to know for sure that there wasn't a BB I hadn't checked yet. I don't want it so much that I'd pay more than its original MSRP for it, so I'll just have to look around for a possible trade...

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm aware that the guide pennied out months ago--I've just been looking for it ever since, and I wanted to know for sure that there wasn't a BB I hadn't checked yet. I don't want it so much that I'd pay more than its original MSRP for it, so I'll just have to look around for a possible trade...[/QUOTE]

Well if it helps the tracker will only show if theres 3+ at the location. You can always write down the SKU and go to bestbuy and ask a person if they have it, ask them to check for its stock at another location, and give them the SKU. As long as you find an employee worth checking they can look up if any stores have any even if just 1. That's how I originally tracked down the store that had 2 Bioshock 2 LE back when that dropped.

I edited the wiki post to make it more concise.

It now has a key before the list of guides that dropped that denotes which versions dropped by publisher abbreviation and/or if it's a LE/CE/SE(which all mean the same thing to me, that they're HARDCOVER guides:booty:).

he was lying

ugh.. i hate gs price drops... all the ones near me have butt munching employees that hog them all to themselves =(

[quote name='elitewillie']Just hit the mother load. 30 guides at one BB. Will post pics.[/QUOTE]

Dumpster diving or instore ?

[quote name='stoned99']Dumpster diving or instore ?[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that now this question gets asked more than for drops on Mondays. :razz:

[quote name='boneless']I find it funny that now this question gets asked more than for drops on Mondays. :razz:[/QUOTE]

How can you even type with no bones ?

I just hit 2 BB's and got 49 guides. No one in my area uses CAG apparently. There was a Star Ocean The Last Hope International at one as well. It's great because when they ask why I'm getting so many I tell them I go to school for game design and use them as reference (which is true... minus the reference part).

I found them all in store. Like 50 left. Going back tomorrow. Didn't want to call attention to myself by taking the whole stack. Lol. Stopped at another store and they had nothing. Used the tracker and found another store that has another big set.

Sucks that I'm married and wife flips out when I get into CAG mode.

[quote name='Tailswisher']Has anyone ever tried getting pennied guides from Walmart? It's the only place that sells them for miles around.[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that. MSRP Mart likely dumpsters them once they reach end of life there, since they almost never drop anything below retail price, at least at my local stores.

Oh and elitewillie....congrats....and I hate you. My local BB stores are 50/50 on getting guides and once a drop happens and I grab some they usually pull the rest and chuck em.

Oh and there's a trade thread for trade/sell/buy requests for guides in the master trade list forum.

Sorry to post the trade.

IAmTheCheapestGamer why the hate? LOL

There are only 2 BB's that are reliable for anything CAG related. Oh I also saw a bunch of Limited Edition Game bundles for cheap. Anyone interested in the AC Brotherhood Collectors with the clown thing. They had like 3 for 69.99 I think.

[quote name='elitewillie']Sorry to post the trade.

IAmTheCheapestGamer why the hate? LOL

There are only 2 BB's that are reliable for anything CAG related. Oh I also saw a bunch of Limited Edition Game bundles for cheap. Anyone interested in the AC Brotherhood Collectors with the clown thing. They had like 3 for 69.99 I think.[/QUOTE]
Cuz my local BB stores either block me completely or as soon as I come up with 1-3 guides they say that that's all I can have and then they pull the rest.:cry:

Although I likely caused them to be that way, since I used to walk out with 40-60 guides per drop and all in one shot.:lol:

Yeah well guess what happened to me yesterday. I walk into a Gamestop by my mother-in-laws. The thing is full of penny guides. I look around and see that my friend who is a manager is there. At this moment, I feel like I won the lottery. I walk up to him with a few and the dude tells me he can't sell them. Bastard let me that the Star Ocean for free and thats it. Suppossedly its a serious offense to sell them.. lol

I do admit that I drove by later when he was gone but the took them all and must have trashed them. They were all gone. I was with my daughter, if not I would have hit that dumpster like a champ.

[quote name='elitewillie']Yeah well guess what happened to me yesterday. I walk into a Gamestop by my mother-in-laws. The thing is full of penny guides. I look around and see that my friend who is a manager is there. At this moment, I feel like I won the lottery. I walk up to him with a few and the dude tells me he can't sell them. Bastard let me that the Star Ocean for free and thats it. Suppossedly its a serious offense to sell them.. lol

I do admit that I drove by later when he was gone but the took them all and must have trashed them. They were all gone. I was with my daughter, if not I would have hit that dumpster like a champ.[/QUOTE]
:cry: Thank God I'm single n don't have kids cuz I would've likely tried to dump the kid back with the wife, grabbed some old clothes n a flashlight n raced back there.:D

BTW, Dollar Tree sells a phenomenal 3 LED flashlight for only $1. I picked one up last night. Only problem is the cord on it's too short to wrap around your wrist.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']BTW, Dollar Tree sells a phenomenal 3 LED flashlight for only $1. I picked one up last night. Only problem is the cord on it's too short to wrap around your wrist.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Duct tape and a helmet. It will even keep your hands free for grabbing those guides.

I looked at the screen while he was scanning the guide.

it was mario galaxy 2 so maybe its not on sale yet at best buy.

also spirit tracks regular ed. rung up at 20.00 and halo odst at 5.00

[quote name='Orrimarrko']Can someone add the BB drops to the list? Curious to see the whole list.[/QUOTE]
BB drops? There hasn't been one....yet.:D
[quote name='davidflecha17']I looked at the screen while he was scanning the guide.

it was mario galaxy 2 so maybe its not on sale yet at best buy.

also spirit tracks regular ed. rung up at 20.00 and halo odst at 5.00[/QUOTE]
You didn't read the first, second or third post AT ALL, did you?

Let's link and quote them for those(you) who are obviously too fuckin' stupid to read and comprehend.

First post: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8020504&postcount=1

From the guide drop related questions FAQ(and I quote):
[quote name='ThePartYouObviouslySkipped']
Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?

A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.
[/quote]

Second post: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8020507&postcount=2

Latest list of guides to drop, with where they dropped underlined and blown up to size 3-4 so you won't miss it. Click the little spoiler box to see WHERE they dropped.:D
>>>Dropped on 1.26.11Dropped on 1.26.11

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']...overreacting rant...[/QUOTE]

You really need to relax. You take this stuff way too seriously.

Alright. My response there was a bit over the top, but just like the Kmart(and virtually every other thread) thread where people ask the same redundant questions that show that they didn't read the OP or even try skimming back a few pages, it just gets to the point of frustrating to deal with some segments of the CAG community.

It's like you're speaking in Cantonese when they're speaking in French. I had kind of hoped that by continuing to put a detailed first, second and third post into each iteration of this thread that it would negate most of the stupidness. But I see that that was for naught.

I'm half tempted to just go and nuke the first 3-4 or so posts and just let this thread survive or die by how willing they are to read to find out what's dropped and where.:evil:
[quote name='neocisco']You really need to relax. You take this stuff way too seriously.[/QUOTE]
Do I now? I'm just sick and tired of the people who come in without reading all of the information that I maintain and that other CAG's willingly give up their time compiling expecting everyone to explain this shit for the umpteenth time to them when all of that info is there for them if they would just READ IT.

Between the people who(like me at one point) DEMAND that stores give them these items for this price(Zergwhatevertheirnamewas) to the shmuck who I just ranted at who didn't read the OP and following posts it's like talking to a bunch of two year olds. Except the two year olds might actually learn something sometime.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

It's like you're speaking in Cantonese when they're speaking in French. I
[/QUOTE]

No. At least then there'd be a reason why they don't understand you. Right now it's just laziness.

But while your rant was over the top, I'd be pretty pissed too if I took the time to put everything in one place and people just ignored it AND proceeded to post their stupidity.

It's pretty simple people. When a store drops the guides to a penny it is posted on the second post on the 1st page. It says the date, the store and then a list of all items that dropped at that date. The third post on the 1st page has all drops by a store (not by date). If you do not see a book under either of those posts for a store then it is NOT a penny.

I think somewhere in the thread title it should say READ THE MOTHERF'IN OP! lol

BTW; the Borderpost guide pennied at Borders... coincidence? I think not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back