Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
I scanned today and all came up full price:

Dragon Age II CE
Fallout New Vegas CE
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE

But they are not on the website either.

[quote name='gordojones88']I scanned today and all came up full price:

Dragon Age II CE
Fallout New Vegas CE
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE

But they are not on the website either.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking.

Wait. It's a Monday and I wasn't awake anxiously waiting for confirmation of a drop or not? Guess this proves how little I give a crap about the drops anymore since my two closest stores are a wasteland anymore.

Just came back from bestbuy with my FIRST ever penny guides! I got Halo Reach and Red Dead.

they also had a buttload of Killzone 3, a few crysis and duke nukem forever along with a few others. Didnt really pay close attention.

Best part is I was there to buy an amazon card (converting BB credit to amazon :)) and there was an issue with the transaction (was also using a 25 amex giftcard as well). I originally grabbed just one halo reach guide thinking surely it wasnt a penny (they were all stacked together in plain sight behind the counter of the videogame area where they do tradeins). We had already started to leave and I was like let me go grab another halo and both the red deads (copy for me and my friend, seriously). So go grab those and come back to the counter and the cashier was with a manager looking at the transaction so I was like crap, gig is up. Nope there was some sort of issue related to the amazon card. So had to recheck out and buy the giftcard again with the four guides this time. The manager never said a word about anything and the cashier was like "oh you added 3 books and it only went up 3 cents! wow!"

Needless to say it was fun and a little thrilling. HAHAHAHA.

I just saw my "competition" today at Best Buy. I walked by as two guys double teamed the guide racks, lists in hand and mumbling "Game X on the list?" I wasnt even there to get guides as I actually went in to check for skylanders. They left empty handed, so I assumed all was already gone.

[quote name='Link927']I just saw my "competition" today at Best Buy. I walked by as two guys double teamed the guide racks, lists in hand and mumbling "Game X on the list?" I wasnt even there to get guides as I actually went in to check for skylanders. They left empty handed, so I assumed all was already gone.[/QUOTE]

Aren't they kinda late anyhow? I can't even remember when the last BB drop was and only now they make it out there? If that's the case I wouldn't even consider them competition unless they are there at 10AM like other CAG's here. :D

[quote name='boneless']Aren't they kinda late anyhow? I can't even remember when the last BB drop was and only now they make it out there? If that's the case I wouldn't even consider them competition unless they are there at 10AM like other CAG's here. :D[/QUOTE]
The one BB about 30-45 minutes from me still has guides on the shelf from the November 2011 drop or they did when I was there last anyway.

I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't have a big list printed up and with me that day since I got lucky as hell. Normally that store is such a wasteland when it comes to trying to get guides from. Instead I cherry picked 2-3 guides I really wanted and got the hell outta Dodge while the getting was good.:D

Chances are if I went back today with my list in hand they would have all been pulled.:cry:

I found a few guides at my a BB by work from the Nov 11 and Aug 11 drop. The employees in this area do not care at all about pulling them.

Found some Deadrising 2, Fable 3, Pokepark Wii, Metroid Other M, and Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 at Best Buy in Duluth, Georgia. They are all old drops, but I grabbed a couple

[quote name='boneless']Aren't they kinda late anyhow? I can't even remember when the last BB drop was and only now they make it out there? If that's the case I wouldn't even consider them competition unless they are there at 10AM like other CAG's here. :D[/QUOTE]

I was thinking in my head as I passed that I might go to the computers and pull up CAG myself to check if there was a recent drop. But since they left with nada I figured they might have come upon a list and thought they could should take a shot.

[quote name='Ellahjay88']Found some Deadrising 2, Fable 3, Pokepark Wii, Metroid Other M, and Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 at Best Buy in Duluth, Georgia. They are all old drops, but I grabbed a couple[/QUOTE]

Did you get the CE of Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 or the standard edition? I know the OP says CE.

[quote name='xsdeal']Did you get the CE of Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 or the standard edition? I know the OP says CE.[/QUOTE]

Collectors...sorry I should have specified >.

I've been trolling this shops in my area for a while. Got smart yester at lunchtime and realized that there was a GS near work that always has bad customer service; North Houston, TX next to Frys. Jackpot! Tons of guides on the disorganized shelves. I grabbed 2 Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 CE, and they rang up 1 penny each.
But the chicky wouldn't sell them to me. She told me that she had to mark them up $10 each because her boss might think she was giving a deal to her friends. I said, "h3LL No." BS.

I didn't want to press the issue because 2 slackers were squating in the store, obviously hitting on the girl. I just hope the guides don't get pulled.

(at least 3 each)
Fable 3
Marvel vs Capsom 3
Protal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Bulletstorm
Super Street Fighter IV
DC Universe Online
Halo ODST

[quote name='Techman16']My first penny guides[/QUOTE]

Probabaly the worst guides u could get as not many liked the game and u dont need to use a guide. And yet I would have bought them myself just to pull off a penny guide deal. ;)

Although I suppose they could be worth money someday.

[quote name='kanamit']Probabaly the worst guides u could get as not many liked the game and u dont need to use a guide. And yet I would have bought them myself just to pull off a penny guide deal. ;)

Although I suppose they could be worth money someday.[/QUOTE]

ya i was thinking the same thing, but for a penny come on ;)

Gamestop: "Oh no, we throw away our penny guides as soon as they drop. We are not aloud to sell them. It's part of the deal with the company that makes them"

Any truth?

[quote name='AionTelos']Gamestop: "Oh no, we throw away our penny guides as soon as they drop. We are not aloud to sell them. It's part of the deal with the company that makes them"

Any truth?[/QUOTE]

It's all true.

[quote name='AionTelos']Gamestop: "Oh no, we throw away our penny guides as soon as they drop. We are not aloud to sell them. It's part of the deal with the company that makes them"

Any truth?[/QUOTE]

Truth.

Also posted in the second post of this thread.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.[/QUOTE]

This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

I kinda knew this, but why wouldn't they receive the credit? Because they need to provide proof of the destroyed guides (i.e. ripped-off front covers)?

[quote name='dfg']I kinda knew this, but why wouldn't they receive the credit? Because they need to provide proof of the destroyed guides (i.e. ripped-off front covers)?[/QUOTE]

They tell the publisher they sold x amount of x stock. If a store sells it for a penny, it's still sold and not reimbursable. Now if they are given away, as GameStop does, then no one is the wiser.

I know for a fact GameStop destroys guides as I see it first hand. Front cover ripped off, guides put on a trolley, taken out back to a dumpster.

Best Buy does recycle guides.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Romeo']I know for a fact GameStop destroys guys as I see it first hand.[/QUOTE]

Knife in the back? Cocktease? Melting their bones and making them into generic cases? Giving them thousands of paper cuts with blood-stained game manuals, which is why they toss them all? Buff game disks with their face, so they all come out scratched?

[quote name='elessar123']Knife in the back? Cocktease? Melting their bones and making them into generic cases? Giving them thousands of paper cuts with blood-stained game manuals, which is why they toss them all? Buff game disks with their face, so they all come out scratched?[/QUOTE]

At first I was like huh?

Gotta love the iPhone and it's small screen along with autocorrect. :D

[quote name='AionTelos']The whole "gamestop destroys what doesn't sell" makes me weep inside.[/QUOTE]

A tad off topic, but in addition to the destroyed guides. I always wonder what happened to all of the old used games like the SNES, N64, etc.

[quote name='jedimario']A tad off topic, but in addition to the destroyed guides. I always wonder what happened to all of the old used games like the SNES, N64, etc.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, they put them in a time capsule, dig them out, and offer them as rewards for PUR members.

[quote name='Romeo']Best Buy does recycle guides.[/QUOTE]
If by recycle you mean sell them to the one flea market seller in the Merchant's Village in Pittston, then yep they do. But hopefully not anymore since I got both Penguin Group(that owns BradyGames) and Random House(that owns Prima Games) involved.:twisted:

I let them know that apparently BB was selling items they told the publishers they 'destroyed' to a third party seller and making money after being given a credit from the publishers.

Yeah. I'm a dick like that. I also negged the one BB chick who was buying/reselling them years ago for 'overcharging for shipping' on a single guide I purchased from her eBay account.:evil:

[quote name='neocisco']You do realize that when they clamp down on something like that it's done chain-wide, not just at your local store, right?[/QUOTE]

he doesn't care. He's just mad cause he can't get them locally so he screws everyone else in the process.

Oops. My bad. But I was just in full on rage mode n didn't think it through that it might nerf the penny guide thing for EVERYBODY.:whistle2:#

The only upside to that reseller grabbing everything to resell is that his prices were halfway decent(even if it wasn't a penny). Unfortunately he smartened up and put prices higher than $2 on the LE/SE/CE guides.

But yeah, as many have seen on here I'm a rash/impulsive person, so I just acted first n thought about it after the fact.:whistle2:#

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Your nonsense doesn't usually bug me that much, but that was just dumb-assery at its finest.

[quote name='Romeo']They tell the publisher they sold x amount of x stock. If a store sells it for a penny, it's still sold and not reimbursable. Now if they are given away, as GameStop does, then no one is the wiser.

I know for a fact GameStop destroys guides as I see it first hand. Front cover ripped off, guides put on a trolley, taken out back to a dumpster.

Best Buy does recycle guides.[/QUOTE]

Yep! I used to work in a local mall and the janitorial staff would always haul away hundreds of pounds of magazines, books, and other periodicals with the covers ripped off. Not knowing why, I asked if I could snab a copy or two of a couple magazines and books he was carting away and he flat-out denied me for the very reasons mentioned above. It's been this way in stores for decades.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Might explain the dry season we've been having in terms of penny guides at Bestbuy.[/QUOTE]
I still find them when I go outta town, but never around here anymore. So it's not completely dry.

Remember how we got all over that one guy for ruining things in his district by calling the Gamestop DM and complaining about penny guides?

This genius calls the publishers of the guides and tells em they're being ripped off. And that's an "oops?" /smh

[quote name='jedimario']A tad off topic, but in addition to the destroyed guides. I always wonder what happened to all of the old used games like the SNES, N64, etc.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you from experience that most stores consolidated that kind of stock and shipped them to stores in the same chain that had a better sell rate for that kind of merchandise. I worked at an EB back in the late 90's and all the SNES, Genesis, and Saturn stuff came to our store from as far away as Idaho. We were already marking down new 16-bit and Saturn stuff, but by the time we got in boxloads of the used stuff it was all priced down to -- get this -- $0.25 for accessories and not much more for the 16-bit games. :D

What didn't get sold after a time, I was told, was sold off to a reseller and purged from our systems. I think it may have been that reseller company who put older games in those plastic cases and sold them on wire racks in department stores (Fred Meyer being a local one) but I'm not certain anymore.

In my experience, only things which were truly special case issues were ever field destroyed, and when they were it was witnessed by the district manager, the manager, and at least once by me (I was an Assistant Manager at the time). We took a hammer to a truly wrecked game disk (which I think was some old Saturn or PS1 game disk which somehow was not in inventory - don't worry, it was something like an old hockey game, not Burning Rangers ;D), and maybe one or two other bits of merchandise but that was it. The district I was in would rather mark down an item with "damaged box" or some other discount and sell it than flat-out destroy something (I'm talking about proper functioning merchandise, not something defective which we always sent back to HQ's center).

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']there's no :facepalm: smilie, so i'll just use this: #-o

provide the eBay seller account so at least I'll get something out of the story...[/QUOTE]
That was back in 2005 or so around the time the guide for The Warriors pennied for PS2/Xbox. So I doubt I even remember the username on eBay.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If by recycle you mean sell them to the one flea market seller in the Merchant's Village in Pittston, then yep they do. But hopefully not anymore since I got both Penguin Group(that owns BradyGames) and Random House(that owns Prima Games) involved.:twisted:

I let them know that apparently BB was selling items they told the publishers they 'destroyed' to a third party seller and making money after being given a credit from the publishers.

Yeah. I'm a dick like that. I also negged the one BB chick who was buying/reselling them years ago for 'overcharging for shipping' on a single guide I purchased from her eBay account.:evil:[/QUOTE]

To think I thought you were a cool guy.. :(

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If by recycle you mean sell them to the one flea market seller in the Merchant's Village in Pittston, then yep they do. But hopefully not anymore since I got both Penguin Group(that owns BradyGames) and Random House(that owns Prima Games) involved.:twisted:

Yeah. I'm a dick like that. I also negged the one BB chick who was buying/reselling them years ago for 'overcharging for shipping' on a single guide I purchased from her eBay account.:evil:[/QUOTE]

lol... Some of you may hate him for doing this but it really gave me a good laugh, revenge at it's best. Did you let the flea market people know that you did this?

[quote name='skiizim']lol... Some of you may hate him for doing this but it really gave me a good laugh, revenge at it's best. Did you let the flea market people know that you did this?[/QUOTE]
Not yet. But I'm headed in that direction today, so I'll probably stop in and let them know.;)

[quote name='skiizim']lol... Some of you may hate him for doing this but it really gave me a good laugh, revenge at it's best. Did you let the flea market people know that you did this?[/QUOTE]

It was a short-sighted move that not only screwed himself but essentially anyone else who likes to find .01 guides.

You call that revenge? Its petty bullshit and everyone else seems to see it. Making a stink because he cant make any money. But then again why waste your time on this.

FYI, buddy of mine who's a gs mgr just text me a list of guides asking if i wanted any. here's what he showed me. if these are old then sorry, i didn't see them in the 1st post. if not, then i'm thinking there was a drop today:

Assassin's Creed brotherhood
brink
Dead space 2
dungeon seige 3
golden sun sumthin (sorry, i can't read the title clearly)
hunted
ncaa football 2012
pokemon sumthin (again, sorry, i can't read the title)
red faction Armageddon (sp?)
sims sumthin (can't read clearly)
space marine
wwe all stars

there may be more but this was all he had in the pic.

hope this helps someone today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back