Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Golden Lemonz']So all i do is find the guides i know for a fact are pennied, bring them up to the counter and act all surprised when there a penny?[/QUOTE]

Why do you need to act surprised? Just own it and purchase. No need to play dumb for the cashier

[quote name='Dark Rider']I had a guy the other day say (as I was trying to buy two) "I am going to have to pull these anyway, so go pick out as many as you want" I almost cried tears of joy. :D[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing: stores are ow told NOT to pull guides. It ends up costing them more to get rid of them than to sell them for a penny. My district has now been instructed not to pull guides because of this.

[quote name='Romeo']Here's the thing: stores are ow told NOT to pull guides. It ends up costing them more to get rid of them than to sell them for a penny. My district has now been instructed not to pull guides because of this.[/QUOTE]
Since when? Is that bitch manager from media still in charge in the WB store? If so, then she'll still cockblock me if I try for some whenever there's another drop.:roll:

This is why I usually love the NY BB stores. If you get there a day or two after a drop happens they're still on the shelf and 9 times outta 10 I've been allowed to buy as many as I damn well please without having to make up some story about how a buddy of a friend of an acquaintance twice removed of mine found out that these were 'clearanced' just to be able to buy one fuckin' book.:roll:

[quote name='Romeo']Here's the thing: stores are ow told NOT to pull guides. It ends up costing them more to get rid of them than to sell them for a penny. My district has now been instructed not to pull guides because of this.[/QUOTE]

gamestop or bestbuy?

Which store and district is this (BB or GS)?? I've been eyeing the countless AC: B CE's at BB's

How does it cost more? They are just thrown in the compacter...

Imagine the sounds of a perfectly good hardcover guide being crushed :(

that doesn't make any sense at all.

Bought an LA Noire guide at BB a few days ago and the cashier didn't believe his eyes when it rang up a penny and tried to scan it again. I told him "I heard they were clearanced or something" and he said cool and sent me on my way.

My Best Buy has been cool about it ever since I started reading this thread about a yr ago. I think the most I ever bought at one time was about 15 and no one has ever said anything. One time the clerk next to mine asked if there were anymore and i said "Bout 2 or 3" and he took off running to the back.
But the gamestops around here forget about it.

[quote name='Dump1eSti1tskin']Bought an LA Noire guide at BB a few days ago and the cashier didn't believe his eyes when it rang up a penny and tried to scan it again. I told him "I heard they were clearanced or something" and he said cool and sent me on my way.[/QUOTE]

I tell them before they ring it up that I found them in the clearance section at BB. Has worked everytime thus far.

Thanks CAG. I picked up LA Noire and Crysis 2 guides this morning from BB to add to the Duke Nukem CE I picked up last night. The clerk must have scanned them like 6 times before finally giving up and saying "Wow, this must me your lucky day."

[quote name='SeanTM22']
Imagine the sounds of a perfectly good hardcover guide being crushed :([/QUOTE]
I don't have to. Back when I worked for Hill's back in the day they would put me in charge of running the compactor in the back room. Virtually all of their EOL(end of life) merch went in and got smushed.:cry:

thanks IATCG. grabbed LBP2 guide at BB.

cashier was so shocked at the price when i told her it was on "clearance" haha

she wanted to make sure it rang up at 1 penny and asked another employee. was afraid i wasnt gonna get it but being patience and cool paid off :p

I was able to pick up that Dragon Age 2 CE and another Homefront guide from that same gamestop two days ago. Took Marvel vs Capcom 3 up as well, but it rang up as $20.00. Employee checked with the other employee upon those two aforementioned ringing up as $.01, and he said something like, "that's his fault." So I figure someone was supposed to pull these and didn't. Anyways, they had no problem selling them to me.

This gamestop I got them at is located on Del Prado boulevard in Cape Coral, Florida. Could be worth a drive after a large price drop. If someone lives in this area and there is another big list drop, you can PM me and I can try to tell you which guides I saw there that have dropped.

I am hoping that after a new price drop at Gamestop or Bestbuy I can pick up some guides in my area, or at least try. Thanks again for all the help.

Anyone know where I can get some good bubble mailers to ship some of these? I picked up about 11 spirit tracks guides so i decided to sell a couple. Bubble mailers at the post office are about 2 dollars each, so I don't really want to pay that.

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']Anyone know where I can get some good bubble mailers to ship some of these? I picked up about 11 spirit tracks guides so i decided to sell a couple. Bubble mailers at the post office are about 2 dollars each, so I don't really want to pay that.[/QUOTE]
Dollar store? I know Dollar Tree typically sells a 2 pack of mailers for $1, though I don't think they fit every sized guide.

If it comes down to it you could ship it Priority Mail flat rate envelope and just put cardboard on one side of the guide with the words 'DO NOT BEND' on the mailer. It helps if you do the same thing on the normal mailers as well(cardboard on at least one side to make it rigid and DO NOT BEND on the mailer).

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']Anyone know where I can get some good bubble mailers to ship some of these? I picked up about 11 spirit tracks guides so i decided to sell a couple. Bubble mailers at the post office are about 2 dollars each, so I don't really want to pay that.[/QUOTE]

Sam's club. Size 5, box of 25 (size 2 is most likely too small for all but very thin soft covers). Pricing may vary by store, but will be way better than individual. Not sure if non-members can buy for a small markup any more.

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']well, I was figuring that I should try and mail them media mail? According to usps it would be about 3.23 to mail them that way[/QUOTE]
Is that including Delivery Confirmation? If not, then you need to add in whatever that's going for now($.80 I think), since it's almost a necessity to assure you have proof that it was delivered.

Use a box. Bubble mailer is just asking for trouble with guides. Re-use them if you have, or just buy a bunch from somewhere like uline.com for 30 cents each.

slowdive's guide to shipping guides:

1) Use a box. You can get boxes for free at most retailers if you ask.
2) wrap the guide in something plastic to keep it from opening/in case the box gets a little wet.
3)Fill the extra space in the box with paper (old newspapers you can get for free pretty much anywhere)
4) Ship media mail
4) Print the label through paypal's multi shipping tool described here, to save on DC.
5) Drop off at PO.

If you are going to use a non box method, sandwich the guide in cardboard and make sure it is secured inside.

The post office has those pre-paid USPS boxes for free in the lobby,
the medium flat ones.
Buy a tube of brown shipping paper to cover up the box.
Use old newspapers as stuffing if need be.

You could, but don't have to,
also buy a roll of shipping tape and a bundle of bubble wrap at Walmart.
After being boxed up ready to go,
you can weigh it on the scale in the post office lobby,
then print out your own shipping label at home.
Then put the boxes in the big drop slot.
No hideously horrendous heinously horrible post office workers need be engaged.

[quote name='gordojones88']The post office has those pre-paid USPS boxes for free in the lobby,
the medium flat ones.

No hideously horrendous heinously horrible post office workers need be engaged.[/QUOTE]

2 problems.
1) The first highlight is illegal.
2) Not all POs will allow people to ship packages wrapped with brown paper because it can rip off of the item. It depends on the post master for the area.

[quote name='ShadowSx']I save all my boxes/mailers that I get and recycle them. Those amazon cardboard sleeves are great for guides.[/QUOTE]

I do the same. I have saved 13 years of ebay purchases' packaging. Now that I am a Top Rated Powerseller for 3 years, I have finally worked through the majority of my recycled supplies.

I still have 1/2 of my garage filled with empty boxes though.

I occasionally have to buy dvd sized bubble mailers, but I usually get them cheap or free by using coupons/rolling rewards at an office supply store.

If your short on boxes (don't know how this is possible) you can just go dumpster diving for them lol. I know a local supermarket puts all their boxes from stuff on a shelf at the entrance for free grabs.

[quote name='gordojones88']The post office has those pre-paid USPS boxes for free in the lobby,
the medium flat ones.

No hideously horrendous heinously horrible post office workers need be engaged.[/QUOTE]

The USPS has the right to inspect your package, and they seem to do it regularly with media mail to check if your package is media. I bought some books from ebay a while back and the post office caught the guy shipping it in a Priority box with brown wrapping paper, I got a notice from my PO and I had to go down and pay the difference. (Eventually got the guy to refund me the difference since it was on his shipping "technique") So dont go around thinking you can get away with it, or encouraging it either. Frankly the USPS tells you that the boxes are for only priority mail, and that you can be punished if caught.

i work in an office building with USPS/UPS/fedex drop boxes. There tons of fedex supplies just lying around. Everyone uses fedex supplies for all three type of packages sent.

Just flip the boxes inside out.

I always ship guides using Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. Most guides fit in there fine. Just add cardboard on each side (cut it off from Priority Mail Medium Box) and bubble wrap for support. Buyers get their guide fast and arrived in perfect shape. I've shipped over 100 guides this way; no problems so far.

[quote name='jjmai']Shouldn't there be a Thread XIV by now?

Btw, I noticed Gamestops carrying less and less guides now. Is that a trend?[/QUOTE]

One of my gamestops used to sell a lot of guides and now they just stopped all randomly one day. Maybe yours is going to go the same route?

[quote name='jjmai']Shouldn't there be a Thread XIV by now?[/QUOTE]
Chances are I'm gonna wait till we have around 5k or so posts to make the next one. That is, unless someone ELSE wants to revamp the OP and all subsequent posts and take over the updating of this thread from me.

I'm actually considering moving the drop list into the FIRST post and wikifying it so that anyone can edit it. Moreover, I'm also considering adding in the SKU's into that post where applicable to those guides that have already dropped.

Anyway, I finally found some guides when I went outta town for work today.

I snagged 2x Duke Nukem Forever CE and 1x Crysis 2 from the BB up in Dewitt, NY. I think they also had some copies of the Dead Rising 2 softcover edition but I ended up leaving those.

EDIT: OK. Apparently the SKU# for the Dead Rising 2 softcover that's listed in the SKU post on the first page of this thread is INCORRECT!! When using the SKU swap trick to make a stock locator it shows up as the guide for Dead Rising: Off The Record, which is actually the newer version of DR2.

So does anyone have a copy of the softcover DR2 guide with a SKU sticker on it that we can cross check?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
So does anyone have a copy of the softcover DR2 guide with a SKU sticker on it that we can cross check?[/QUOTE]

I do. It is 1303541, just like it says in the post.

[quote name='Lightning War']It shows the Off The Record guide but it says it's just the original Dead Rising 2 guide and apparently there are indeed a few in Dewitt.[/QUOTE]
Crap. That's what I thought. Oh well. I am heading back that way next week, but chances are I'm gonna check the Carousel Mall store and maybe the one up Clay, NY since I didn't hit either today.:cry:

found a resistance 3 at a gamestop and got told he couldn't sell it. so I was like is it because it was pennied and he was like yeah that's part of it but there was a recall. okay a recall on a guide so totally makes sense. oh well

[quote name='kinney_bmx']found a resistance 3 at a gamestop and got told he couldn't sell it. so I was like is it because it was pennied and he was like yeah that's part of it but there was a recall. okay a recall on a guide so totally makes sense. oh well[/QUOTE]
When the employee says "they can't sell it", you should say "Cool, please ask the manager if I can just have it then". You should look straight at the employee and not blink. (like a Jedi Mind Trick).

[quote name='Readthepost']When the employee says "they can't sell it", you should say "Cool, please ask the manager if I can just have it then". You should look straight at the employee and not blink. (like a Jedi Mind Trick).[/QUOTE]
Ehh it wasn't that big of a deal. It was just Resistance 3

Yeah it woulda' been nice but I didn't feel like making a fuss

Warning: mad ranting post ahead! (if there are any grammatical errors, sorry. I'm posting this from my phone lol).

I went to BB today to get a normal edition Skyrim guide for me and my buddy (had a rz cert and didn't feel like tossing extra coins for the second edition guide). I was surprised to find that it was pennied! I feel that it might have been a glitch in the system or something since Metroid: Other M was scanned as $19.99 (its suppose to be pennied I believe?). But anyway, went to the front cashier to get it and the lady at the desk rang these up and immediately gave the other cashier weird look and asked if she was allowed to ring it up. The other cashier told her it should be fine but just ring one up. or if she wanted to be extra sure, she should ask 'sal' (probably the manger? or guy in gaming. idk). But she rang him up, talk for a bit, hung up, and proceeded to page 'any available associate [to report] to gaming' and to remove the guide. All while I'm standing here waiting to be rung up. I told her "look if you're not gonna sell it to me I'll go somewhere else and buy it". She told me "oh I'm so sorry I totally forgot that I was ringing you up, let me page my manager and see if he can do anything". She doesn't page the manager and instead pages someone else (presumably) and asks if the guides are off the shelf and if they are still sell-able for a penny. She then says to the other cashier "I'm so glad that you said to ask sal or else I would have probably gotten in trouble" in a pretty happy tone. At this point its been about 10 minutes already and I was a bit fed up so I just walked away assuming they weren't gonna sell me the guide and she tells me to WALK BACK and tells me "I'm sorry that I can't sell these to you but thank you for pointing out that these items are not for sale anymore".

what the fuck? If they're not gonna sell me a pennied guide, by all means tha'ts fine. It's a YMMV situation and technically they arn't suppose to anyway I guess. But to waste my time waiting there to be rung up, lying to me that shes paging her manager when shes waiting for them to clear the shelf, having the nerve to KEEP me ther waiting and to call me back over to the desk just to tell me that they can't sell it is a little douche-like. Not to mention saying something like that last phrase really pushes my buttons. Gonna call the 1-888 number tmr and complain about this store. For those who are curious, This was at the City of Industry, California store. Lately I've been met with very rude customer service that's actually been pushing me away from BB these days. YMMV I suppose, but I actually thought their service was alright before.

[quote name='ken9']Warning: mad ranting post ahead! (if there are any grammatical errors, sorry. I'm posting this from my phone lol).

I went to BB today to get a normal edition Skyrim guide for me and my buddy (had a rz cert and didn't feel like tossing extra coins for the second edition guide). I was surprised to find that it was pennied! I feel that it might have been a glitch in the system or something since Metroid: Other M was scanned as $19.99 (its suppose to be pennied I believe?). But anyway, went to the front cashier to get it and the lady at the desk rang these up and immediately gave the other cashier weird look and asked if she was allowed to ring it up. The other cashier told her it should be fine but just ring one up. or if she wanted to be extra sure, she should ask 'sal' (probably the manger? or guy in gaming. idk). But she rang him up, talk for a bit, hung up, and proceeded to page 'any available associate [to report] to gaming' and to remove the guide. All while I'm standing here waiting to be rung up. I told her "look if you're not gonna sell it to me I'll go somewhere else and buy it". She told me "oh I'm so sorry I totally forgot that I was ringing you up, let me page my manager and see if he can do anything". She doesn't page the manager and instead pages someone else (presumably) and asks if the guides are off the shelf and if they are still sell-able for a penny. She then says to the other cashier "I'm so glad that you said to ask sal or else I would have probably gotten in trouble" in a pretty happy tone. At this point its been about 10 minutes already and I was a bit fed up so I just walked away assuming they weren't gonna sell me the guide and she tells me to WALK BACK and tells me "I'm sorry that I can't sell these to you but thank you for pointing out that these items are not for sale anymore".

what the fuck? If they're not gonna sell me a pennied guide, by all means tha'ts fine. It's a YMMV situation and technically they arn't suppose to anyway I guess. But to waste my time waiting there to be rung up, lying to me that shes paging her manager when shes waiting for them to clear the shelf, having the nerve to KEEP me ther waiting and to call me back over to the desk just to tell me that they can't sell it is a little douche-like. Not to mention saying something like that last phrase really pushes my buttons. Gonna call the 1-888 number tmr and complain about this store. For those who are curious, This was at the City of Industry, California store. Lately I've been met with very rude customer service that's actually been pushing me away from BB these days. YMMV I suppose, but I actually thought their service was alright before.[/QUOTE]

Skyrim softcover is pennied? That does sound like a glitch... Website shows $27. Can anyone else try this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back