Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShadowSx']Found a new method for finding them, so far I've come up empty on guides (besides the already fable 3 and noire).

But I did find something quite interesting, take a look.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/BLANK+SKU+10+-+Xbox+360/2856769.p?id=1218358277523&skuId=2856769

Good deal huh?[/QUOTE]

This is a fun game. Best Buy's website is a treasure trove of hidden oddities. I'd love to know what the trick is but I'd hate to see it posted and take all of the mystery out of it.

I found this bit, but I'm not sure it's on the right track (seeing as it comes up blank).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Other-P...fers/pcmcat50300050014.c?id=pcmcat50300050014

Most of the stuff is just re-order junk for $5 for very old games, there are some decent game deals but are all sold out. I think it is just the back part of bestbuy where they shove all the old products.

:lol: There are people on the actual BB Unlocked forums that actually DO need that service and have filed complaints on there saying how the Geek Squad guy showed up to install/set up their stuff but didn't teach them how to run it. I shit you not.

That forum is actually quite amusing with all of the :drool: that you read on there.:lol:

If ya can't figure shit out for yourself, then stick to an old time radio n don't try n buy/use newer tech.:razz:

Thank you so much for creating this thread! Because of it, I was able to make a list and go to my nearest Gamestop, which had 6 out of the 10 guides I was looking for. And 2 were even collectors editions, I couldn't believe it.

Guess I won't be paying full price for a strategy guide anymore ;)

[quote name='Oneshadedarker']Thank you so much for creating this thread! Because of it, I was able to make a list and go to my nearest Gamestop, which had 6 out of the 10 guides I was looking for. And 2 were even collectors editions, I couldn't believe it.

Guess I won't be paying full price for a strategy guide anymore ;)[/QUOTE]
That's how it started for me. Once I found out that stores would just be throwing away these items once they reached a penny price I used to grab as many as I could.

That was my first mistake, as all of the stores in my own area are super strict and refuse to sell or even give these away if you find them anymore. Don't get me wrong, if you can keep bullshitting your way through the transaction and not have an employee call over a manager you might get 1-2 to slip through from time to time.

But that is few and far between anymore for me. So just take a cautious approach to grabbing these and don't make yourself known as 'the guy who comes in when shit pennies'. Had I shown some self control this little glitch of a deal could've still been exploited by me for the occasional guide around here. But not anymore...:cry::whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's how it started for me. Once I found out that stores would just be throwing away these items once they reached a penny price I used to grab as many as I could.

That was my first mistake, as all of the stores in my own area are super strict and refuse to sell or even give these away if you find them anymore. Don't get me wrong, if you can keep bullshitting your way through the transaction and not have an employee call over a manager you might get 1-2 to slip through from time to time.

But that is few and far between anymore for me. So just take a cautious approach to grabbing these and don't make yourself known as 'the guy who comes in when shit pennies'. Had I shown some self control this little glitch of a deal could've still been exploited by me for the occasional guide around here. But not anymore...:cry::whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, that completely sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. It's also ridiculous, those guides aren't doing anything but taking up shelf space, why shouldn't they go to someone who can make use of them? It's so absurd.

I'll take your advice to heart, seeing as how I just don't want to constantly be a burden to the employees. But I'm fortunate because, even if I did, I doubt they'd really care. I used to work at one Gamestop and am on very good terms with the manager so I know he wouldn't be a jerk. And at the Gamestop where I found these guides, the guys were too busy trying to figure out if I was buying these guides for my boyfriend to give me grief. God forbid they might just be for me :roll: So I just shrugged and said sure, whatever got me out the door quicker ;)

Anyway, thank you for the response, I really appreciate all your hard work!

[quote name='Oneshadedarker'] the guys were too busy trying to figure out if I was buying these guides for my boyfriend to give me grief. God forbid they might just be for me :roll: So I just shrugged and said sure, whatever got me out the door quicker ;)

[/QUOTE]

Wait a second, a girl on the Internet? The Mayans were right. Only a few days left. :cry:

Back on topic...one cashier at Best Buy told me that the pennied guides were only available if purchased with corresponding game. Obviously they had no clue but next time I get that response, I'm going to buy the matching games and return them later.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Wait a second, a girl on the Internet? The Mayans were right. Only a few days left. :cry:

Back on topic...one cashier at Best Buy told me that the pennied guides were only available if purchased with corresponding game. Obviously they had no clue but next time I get that response, I'm going to buy the matching games and return them later.[/QUOTE]
People have been saying this for years on this thread. "Oh you should buy something with it to mask the penny purchase".

It's pretty obvious when something comes up a penny that there's gonna be a 'WTF' moment where the cashier cancels out that item and then tries to re-ring it.

I usually pre-face the transaction with 'my one friend told me these were on clearance here', then you gotta try to act as shocked as possible, which is extremely difficult when you've been buying these for years with little to no issues in other areas.

I've found that it's also only in my home state of PA where I get the most hassle regarding these. I've bought innumerable stacks of them up in NY state or even out in NJ by Atlantic City area and while the cashiers may blink and just stare at the register like you pulled some sorta voodoo on it, they eventually just say 'damn that's a good price' and continue with the transaction.

The absolute best is when a cashier ringing you up is also a gamer and they ask if there's anymore on the shelves of X or Y guide. I've actually had employees take their morning/afternoon break to go back with me to gaming/media and grab some for themselves for $.01 each, but that's a rarity usually.

But if anything, I would try either a different cashier next time or try one of the 'other' registers in the store. Since they take game trades now, there's a register over in media/gaming usually. So you could try there to get some guides.;)

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Snagged one of these yesterday at a vintage game store that sells ALL guides at half or lower than the cover price. Snagged it for $8 and going to amazon for $54.59 :D

http://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Moon-...1175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324505380&sr=8-1

Very pleased. :D[/QUOTE]

I've never sent anything to Amazon for trade. How particular are they about used condition? I am not trying to pull a fast one. I just want to know before I send something.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']I've never sent anything to Amazon for trade. How particular are they about used condition? I am not trying to pull a fast one. I just want to know before I send something.[/QUOTE]

Every guide I have sent in has been in pretty good shape so I don't really know. Someone else who has traded in an iffy condition guide might be able to help you more.

I honestly would assume that as long as the binding is good, no pages falling out and no big tears on the covers you should be fine. I mean a little wear probably won't get rejected or anything.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Snagged one of these yesterday at a vintage game store that sells ALL guides at half or lower than the cover price. Snagged it for $8 and going to amazon for $54.59 :D

http://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Moon-...1175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324505380&sr=8-1

Very pleased. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that heads up. I have had one of these sitting on my trade shelf for a while. Now it's paying for a brand new collector's edition skyrim guide at $24 with some nice leftover change.

[quote name='Scorpion']If we find a guide in store could we pm it ??[/QUOTE]

BB and GS online and in store price is the same for penny guides. But if you mean at WM or something, good luck getting them to sell a $15-35 item for a penny.

which ones are still active, do you know of any other penny deals besides the ones in the website that are not listed... i am going right now and hopefully find something good.

[quote name='SolarUxie']Went to gamestop and found 2 guides that were supposed to be a penny but they were ringing up for $21 each :([/QUOTE]

Which ones?

[quote name='Scorpion']If we find a guide in store could we pm it ??[/QUOTE]
You could try, as there is no harm in trying really. But expect a 'the price difference is too great' or for them to call BB to verify they have the guide in stock because that's what stores that price match are typically supposed to do before approving a PM. In other words, expect a LOT of hassle just for that one PM.
[quote name='Dark Rider']I don't know about the Sims but only one version of the ME2 guide has pennied.[/QUOTE]
You are correct. Only one version of the Mass Effect 2 guide has pennied at GS and I believe I did make a notation in the second and wiki posts on the first page to denote which one has dropped.

But yeah, some guides have 2-3 or MORE versions, so you really have to pay attention to the second and wiki posts on the first page of this thread to determine which one(s) might've been pennied out.

For example, just for the game Elder Scrolls Oblivion I believe there were at least 3 versions of the normal non Game Of The Year edition of it. If I remember correctly there was a standalone PC version, a PC and 360 version and a PC/360 and PS3 version, though I am not 100% sure on that last one.

We've had this conversation before in this thread and this is why I tend to keep the multiple listings for guides that have had multiple versions penny out with a notation after each, so that folks know when/if the different versions have pennied.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You could try, as there is no harm in trying really. But expect a 'the price difference is too great' or for them to call BB to verify they have the guide in stock because that's what stores that price match are typically supposed to do before approving a PM. In other words, expect a LOT of hassle just for that one PM.

You are correct. Only one version of the Mass Effect 2 guide has pennied at GS and I believe I did make a notation in the second and wiki posts on the first page to denote which one has dropped.

But yeah, some guides have 2-3 or MORE versions, so you really have to pay attention to the second and wiki posts on the first page of this thread to determine which one(s) might've been pennied out.

For example, just for the game Elder Scrolls Oblivion I believe there were at least 3 versions of the normal non Game Of The Year edition of it. If I remember correctly there was a standalone PC version, a PC and 360 version and a PC/360 and PS3 version, though I am not 100% sure on that last one.

We've had this conversation before in this thread and this is why I tend to keep the multiple listings for guides that have had multiple versions penny out with a notation after each, so that folks know when/if the different versions have pennied.[/QUOTE]

My bad then, didnt even know there were more than one version guess i should read more carefully next time.

[quote name='SolarUxie']My bad then, didnt even know there were more than one version guess i should read more carefully next time.[/QUOTE]
That's quite alright. The newest one has a big sticker on the front cover that says 'now covers PS3' or something like that.

You can also usually tell if it's the older or newer version of a guide by the spine, the lower part of the front cover or the back cover, as it may say 'covers 360, Wii, PS3, DS, etc' right on one of those sections. If not that way, then you can sometimes tell by the copyright date, since some games are timed exclusives and they will end up printing up a newer guide with a more recent copyright date on the back cover or one of the first pages of the guide.

Hope this helps to clear up any future confusion.;)

I got excited when I saw a resident evil archives at my BB today. Too bad it was REA2. I thought it might be old since it only went to 2009, but apparently it is a NEW guide. $30 softcover! WTF?

[quote name='slowdive21']I got excited when I saw a resident evil archives at my BB today. Too bad it was REA2. I thought it might be old since it only went to 2009, but apparently it is a NEW guide. $30 softcover! WTF?[/QUOTE]

indeed. half the reason I get the CE's is for interesting developer insight but I'm so used to HC now that I just can't rationalize buying SC, especially considering that I intend to use them regularly and keep them accessible on a shelf and not in storage.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's quite alright. The newest one has a big sticker on the front cover that says 'now covers PS3' or something like that.

You can also usually tell if it's the older or newer version of a guide by the spine, the lower part of the front cover or the back cover, as it may say 'covers 360, Wii, PS3, DS, etc' right on one of those sections. If not that way, then you can sometimes tell by the copyright date, since some games are timed exclusives and they will end up printing up a newer guide with a more recent copyright date on the back cover or one of the first pages of the guide.

Hope this helps to clear up any future confusion.;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah that cleared up a few things for me, thanks :)

[quote name='slowdive21']I got excited when I saw a resident evil archives at my BB today. Too bad it was REA2. I thought it might be old since it only went to 2009, but apparently it is a NEW guide. $30 softcover! WTF?[/QUOTE]

I guess I WILL be using the 50% off a guide coupon. My wife would love that for her birthday.

Just picked up Resident Evil Archives for $32(first one, on Amazon). It came in today and looks to be in mint condition. Sadly, my amazon trade-in expired and now that book does not have a trade-in any longer(was $107).

[quote name='nas6034']Just picked up Resident Evil Archives for $32(first one, on Amazon). It came in today and looks to be in mint condition. Sadly, my amazon trade-in expired and now that book does not have a trade-in any longer(was $107).[/QUOTE]

from amazon or 3rd party?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']^ They just cancelled my order for RE:A on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You can probably get one for $107 from nas6034 LOL

[quote name='hellmutt']You can probably get one for $107 from nas6034 LOL[/QUOTE]
I already have 2 copies. I just thought if they were going to sell me one for $20 I'd have a go.

[quote name='royalbliss1']Scribblenauts penny guide. It says in store pick up only so if you have any close here you go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Super+Scribblenauts+(Game+Guide)+-+Nintendo+DS/1425057.p?id=1218257748262&skuId=1425057&st=scribblenauts&lp=5&cp=1[/QUOTE]

It's been a penny for almost a year. But sadly the fact that it shows store pickup means that there is at least one somewhere in the country, where it is who knows? There may only be one in fact, so good luck with that needle and hay stack. But if ya find one, kudos.

Okay, I have a few quick questions. I am posting in this thread primarily to get a quick response, but I will also post about my success/failure afterwards and I will reveal this location that I have discovered.

I am on vacation and when out for groceries I stopped in at a gamestop that was conveniently located next door to the grocery store. With the warm weather I had forgotten it was Christmas Eve and I was shocked at the amount of older people...until I realized they were all parents buying video games at the last minute. Anyways, I decided then that I wouldn't try to get any even if I saw any due to the line being at least 8 people long.

So, I still checked out the guide rack. Let me say that I have never seen a penny guide at three different gamestop locations and a best buy location where I live. I was surprised at what I found. From what I can remember, there were at least 7 guides that were pennied (at least I think they were the correct versions pennied).

This is what I remember that they have:
Resistance 3
Dragon Age 2 CE (hardcover)
Homefront x3
Red Dead Redemption (I think)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

There was one guide that I am sure was pennied (DA 2 CE) that I know I really want, but obviously not at full price. Anyways, my question is this (to those experience penny-guide buyers): How many guides should I try to get? Should I just try to get a few guides at first, and maybe come back a couple of days later (right before I leave) and try to get the rest? I wouldn't want to be turned away from getting that DA 2 CE guide just because I had 10 other guides I didn't exactly need, but didn't mind having also. If the clerk asks me how I knew they were so cheap, I plan on just saying someone told me they were on sale. Since I am not in my hometown, I also have no problem with politely walking out immediately if they refuse to sell them to me at the penny price.

If someone can give me a few tips for having a successful run, that would be great. :applause:

Oh, side note: I did read the OP, so please do not tell me to read the OP. And, successful result or not, I will post this gamestop location so other CAG'ers in the area can check other local gamestops and try this one after I leave.

As one of the older people, I would have brought up the one guide I wanted and looked surprised when it rang up a penny. Too late for that now tho'. Being so busy, I would take the chance that they would just say "take it".

It all depends on the clerk you are dealing with. Some of them will let you have it for a penny, others will tell you that it is a mistake in price and pull it from the shelf.

I would have just tried for all of them since it was busy. The single approach can work but you would need to go there a few times. If you however didn't want to get turned down and lose all of the possible guides you could have just tried to get the one you really wanted and then gone back later for the rest in one big lump sum.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']As one of the older people, I would have brought up the one guide I wanted and looked surprised when it rang up a penny. Too late for that now tho'. Being so busy, I would take the chance that they would just say "take it".[/QUOTE]

This is what I always do at GS especially if they have the little screen that shows the price when they scan it. Do not ask for the price, act as if you want to buy it. Make sure they know that you saw it as a penny on the screen, so they won't try to quickly change it to full msrp. You can always back out/cancel the item if it doesn't ring up like you expected.

I don't pretend to be surprised.
I just grab all of them (multiple copies) and say something like "these guides should be out of the system".
They check, void the transaction, and hand me the guides.

PS-Most employees know me by sight and they know that the managers let me get the guides for free in the past.

Sometimes an employee ask me if there was another guide left on the rack and if I grabbed more than one, I tell them I don't want "that guide and that I'm putting it back" wink wink.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']It's been a penny for almost a year. But sadly the fact that it shows store pickup means that there is at least one somewhere in the country, where it is who knows? There may only be one in fact, so good luck with that needle and hay stack. But if ya find one, kudos.[/QUOTE]

There is 4-5 of them at my local bestbuy, not even worth the effort.

1. Have cash in hand for full.
2. Have out your membership card.
2.1. Don't have membership card? Ask for one.
2.2. Buying multiple? When it rings up say, "Well, since they're not full price like I thought, I'll have some extra cash. Can you tell me about the pro-membership?"
3. Act surprised.
4. Chat with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back