Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ultragamer']Ok here's the 5 drops before the ones I previously listed. If there are any other SKU's people are having trouble finding or need for Gamestop let me know and I'll try and track them down.

830323 Blood Stone 007
830306 Enslaved Odyssey of the West
832247 Fable II
832352 God of War III
830302 God of War Ghost of Sparta
832371 Kingdom Hearts 358/2
830303 Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
871898 Starcraft II LE
830252 UFC Undisputed 2010
830308 Vanquish

832405 Bakugan
832393 Scribblenauts

832321 Alpha Protocol
832342 Batman: Arkham Asylum
832351 Bioshock 2 LE
832325 Borderlands
832353 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
832323 Darksiders
832417 God of War Collection
832377 GTA: Episodes From Liberty City
830255 Harvest Moon Hero of Leaf Valley
830261 Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days
832362 LittleBigPlanet Super Book
832355 Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
830256 Nier
830033 Resonance of Fate
832360 Singularity
830026 Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
830259 Transformers: War For Cybertron
830024 White Knight Chronicles
871895 World of Warcraft: Dungeon Companion
871884 World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

832399 The Saboteur

830041 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
832381 Brutal Legend
830030 God Of War III CE
832414 Harvest Moon Sunshine Islands
830248 Iron Man 2
830250 Modnation Racers
830042 Nintendo DS Pocket Guide

Also on an added note, Who's gamestop has this is stock?
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/stor...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-b.tR7OMbgsg5bv5.klusTA

Edit: I just found a SKU for a bayonetta guide by bradygames hidden in gamestops database. It doesn't appear in the store tracker though. For those of you wondering it's 832324[/QUOTE]
Yumpin' Yimminy! That's a loooooong list, though I do believe some of them are already in the wiki.:razz:

By the way, there was never an official Bayonetta guide released in the U.S., but if you have a friend in the UK Amazon.co.uk had the LE version guide that released overseas available for $30 something a week or so ago. It's YMMV on whether or not they'll ship it here though.

But someone also posted a thread linking to a .pdf of the guide(in two parts) that WAS created for the U.S. but never released.

Part 1: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/brady/PerfectWitchGuide_01.pdf

Part 2: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/brady/PerfectWitchGuide_02.pdf

I'll update the SKU wiki in a bit with whatever ones from that list are new ones. Thank again, Ultragamer.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yumpin' Yimminy! That's a loooooong list, though I do believe some of them are already in the wiki.:razz:

By the way, there was never an official Bayonetta guide released in the U.S., but if you have a friend in the UK Amazon.co.uk had the LE version guide that released overseas available for $30 something a week or so ago. It's YMMV on whether or not they'll ship it here though.

But someone also posted a thread linking to a .pdf of the guide(in two parts) that WAS created for the U.S. but never released.

Part 1: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/brady/PerfectWitchGuide_01.pdf

Part 2: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/brady/PerfectWitchGuide_02.pdf

I'll update the SKU wiki in a bit with whatever ones from that list are new ones. Thank again, Ultragamer.:D[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know the guide never released(also I'll have to check uk.amazon sometime because it would be nice to get that guide), but I thought it was weird that Gamestop had the SKU for a guide that doesn't exist in their system.

Picked up Assassin's Botherhood CE at Gamestop today. The store was packed but the guy still went back and looked for my guide, he even told me I got the guide for free!

Also managed to pick up two pennies guides at Best Buy using the instore pick up method. Girl was so confused as how I got it for a penny.

How successful has the Gamestop sku locator been for guides? It seems odd that guides from older drops still show up at stores in the local area; just wondering if people have had any decent success getting anything or if it's kinda just chasing ghosts or something lol

[quote name='Donkey132']damn, there's a store that's about 37 miles away from me that has almost all those guides instock lol tempted to make the trip[/QUOTE]"Tempted?" Lightweight. Do it.

[quote name='guinaevere']"Tempted?" Lightweight. Do it.[/QUOTE]
Well, I'll be driving to L.A. on tues and it's on the way there, so I guess I'll check it out.

You might want to differentiate which New Super Mario Brothers guide you're referring to in the recent SKU posts. There's two of them, one for DS and one for Wii.

[quote name='The Punisher']Hey, in the Germantown store, is it the older Black guy that gave it to u?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vigilante']No, this was a white man who looked like the manager (named Erik based on the receipt), though I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

What, a black guy can't be manager? ;)

[quote name='Josef']What, a black guy can't be manager? ;)[/QUOTE]:lol: Poor choice of words on my part--the white man (Erik) acted like he was the manager. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Donkey132']damn, there's a store that's about 37 miles away from me that has almost all those guides instock lol tempted to make the trip[/QUOTE]

The gold mine stores that have about 3/4ths of the guides I want are either one 70 miles S, 80 miles SW or 75 miles E. Oh brother

[quote name='Donkey132']damn, there's a store that's about 37 miles away from me that has almost all those guides instock lol tempted to make the trip[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brenex']The gold mine stores that have about 3/4ths of the guides I want are either one 70 miles S, 80 miles SW or 75 miles E. Oh brother[/QUOTE]

I can't stress this enough: Take what the stock locator says with a mountain of salt, as stores that currently show up as having a guide in stock might have had it when the guide pennied, but they very likely won't now.

Of course, it's possible that a store might indeed still have a guide or two (or more), but the chance of that is pretty low, so be absolutely sure you want to try the store before driving a potentially long distance and don't be disappointed if the stock locator ended up lying to you.

I went to one that had a bunch listed one of the guys working was new, the other said the dm is supposed to have picked those up and wouldn't sell them.
figured there was a reason why they had them still.
Also, one of my consistent stores in LA said that they have a new DM who sent out an email instructing them that they were to gather all of the penny guides (do an inventory) and he would be by to pick them up. That the penny was a glitch and they were NOT supposed to sell or give any guides to customers

[quote name='shrike4242']You might want to differentiate which New Super Mario Brothers guide you're referring to in the recent SKU posts. There's two of them, one for DS and one for Wii.[/QUOTE]
Done. I noted it's the one for Wii.

I checked the store locator made a list of 6 stores that said they had guides in stock and made a quick little trip this morning. Struck out at all of them. The GS employees were all very nice but they all may be under the same regional manager because they all had the same stories and all said the manager was very strict about those and arent allowed to give them out when we do have them. Two of them told they had a meeting about penny guides not long ago and were told that giving them away was the same as stealing.

Stopped by the 76th and Layton store in Greenfield, WI. Yeah, I know I'm a week late, but I didn't feel like going last Monday since I had 6 teeth pulled out the previous Friday (4 wisdom, 2 supernumerary) and felt like I was gonna die for the last week.

Store is usually on top of pulling the guides and this time was no exception as the shelves were perfectly ordered, though I was able to find a lone Ghost of Sparda guide mixed in. At least it wasn't a waste of a trip. Any Milwaukee area CAGers know which stores usually don't pull?

[quote name='chefazn']Got ac brotherhood ce and zelda spirit tracks ce! I love the gamestops where i live.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you. All 6 GS around me are guide Nazis. :bomb:

Came across an old manager at a different store, and mentioned the Reach guide. He said, "pennied", I replied, "survey?", and I got one. Struck out everywhere else though.

it seems that one of my local gamestop has about 85% of the guides im looking for :p

now im wondering if i want to drive out of my way for them.

[quote name='darkasian']Came across an old manager at a different store, and mentioned the Reach guide. He said, "pennied", I replied, "survey?", and I got one. Struck out everywhere else though.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you meant "survey?" in a positive way? lol

[quote name='JordanPlayer']How successful has the Gamestop sku locator been for guides? It seems odd that guides from older drops still show up at stores in the local area; just wondering if people have had any decent success getting anything or if it's kinda just chasing ghosts or something lol[/QUOTE]

Wondering the same thing. Reading back it looks like there's more failure than success so far. :cry:

Yeah, I meant survey in a positive way. I also meant manager from my old store, not "old" manager. The store I used to frequent seemed to have lost all of the employees I was accustomed to. I had always gave positive surveys, which resulted in "bending " rules on trade ins, and now free guides.

I think I finally found a GS that I can get guides from. The manager there seemed pretty cool so I asked him what they do with old guides, he said they just give them out and if I find any that ring up as .01 I can have them. So I grabbed 2 Dead Rising 2 CE, 2 Zelda Spirit Tracks CE, and 1 Lunar Silver Star Harmony. He said to just come back anytime there is a drop and I can have any I want. So it looks like I'll actually be able to get in on the GS drops from now on :D

[quote name='Donkey132']I think I finally found a GS that I can get guides from. The manager there seemed pretty cool so I asked him what they do with old guides, he said they just give them out and if I find any that ring up as .01 I can have them. So I grabbed 2 Dead Rising 2 CE, 2 Zelda Spirit Tracks CE, and 1 Lunar Silver Star Harmony. He said to just come back anytime there is a drop and I can have any I want. So it looks like I'll actually be able to get in on the GS drops from now on :D[/QUOTE]

Would you be willing to help out somebody who can't???:D:D:D:D

Seriously, I'd be able to give you a couple bucks for the ones I'm looking for. Just saying!!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Would you be willing to help out somebody who can't???:D:D:D:D

Seriously, I'd be able to give you a couple bucks for the ones I'm looking for. Just saying!![/QUOTE]

tsk tsk, you should know better than begging in the thread....
just pm the member... crazy tool .... :roll::roll:

[quote name='donut']tsk tsk, you should know better than begging in the thread....
just pm the member... crazy tool .... :roll::roll:[/QUOTE]

Whoops, my bad! Won't happen again.

picked up halo reach le guide for free tonight. was gonna pay the penny but the manager said he'd just give it to me and if i wanted to check if anymore were a .01 i could have them. thanks cag.

I've been looking for a Reach LE guide since it dropped with no luck. Tonight I hit a few GS locations and just flat out asked "You guys got any guides that you're throwing out." Most of the knuckle draggers were like "uhh let me ask" and the manager would just shake his head or mutter "no". I got the vibe of resentment from the managers at these locations. I guess I know their dirty secret and that seemed to bother them. Last one I hit, guy went into the back and came out with a Reach LE guide and put it in my hands. I thanked him profusely, but as I was walking out I heard the female employee that was there say something bitchy to him like "You know you're not supposed to give those out" (or similar). I hope I didn't get him in trouble. Either way, mission accomplished!

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']I've been looking for a Reach LE guide since it dropped with no luck. Tonight I hit a few GS locations and just flat out asked "You guys got any guides that you're throwing out." Most of the knuckle draggers were like "uhh let me ask" and the manager would just shake his head or mutter "no". I got the vibe of resentment from the managers at these locations. I guess I know their dirty secret and that seemed to bother them. Last one I hit, guy went into the back and came out with a Reach LE guide and put it in my hands. I thanked him profusely, but as I was walking out I heard the female employee that was there say something bitchy to him like "You know you're not supposed to give those out" (or similar). I hope I didn't get him in trouble. Either way, mission accomplished![/QUOTE]

I get the same thing. I'm not going to get any more guides from GS. With gas prices going up, it be a waste to of time. I will stick with BB.

How accurate is the bestbuy stock locater? I know we were recently talking about the inaccuracy of the gamestop one but don't remember hearing anything but positive things about bestbuy's guides.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to this.
How many guides posted in this thread are for a penny? Is there any way of telling other than going to the store (with gas at $3.50, I'd rather not go out and come back with nothing.)
A gamestop about 45 minutes away lists a crapload of guides in stock, but 45 minutes is a long way to drive for nothing.

Went to a Gamestop yesterday to pick up the GoW3 deal. Noticed a ton of old guides there, including one for Brutal Legend. Might go back tomorrow (right on my way home from work) and see what they say, if anything, when I try to check out.

[quote name='david12795']booo my gamestop didnt have anything and it was "loaded" with penny guides according to stock locator[/QUOTE]

It appears that the GS Stock Locator is very unreliable, (at least insofar as penny guides). I went to a local GS where the manager is cool and very friendly. Asked about Reach CE and when he checked the computer it said he had four copies, but when he went to the back to check, there were none to be found.

[quote name='ROB64']Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to this.
How many guides posted in this thread are for a penny? Is there any way of telling other than going to the store (with gas at $3.50, I'd rather not go out and come back with nothing.)
A gamestop about 45 minutes away lists a crapload of guides in stock, but 45 minutes is a long way to drive for nothing.[/QUOTE]

Check the first page of the forum. It will have dates with what store had the penny guide list. U have to go to the store with the guides u are interested in to see if in stock. u take the guides to the register. It should scan for $0.01.
Now, they have every right to refuse to sell the guides. Don't get mad, don't fight with the employee, and just walk out of the store. There policy is to throw away the guides, but some GS associates give these away to have loyal customers to keep buying from them.

with gas going up, u have to think, is it worth my time and effort for "book" guides? I think within the next few years, books will be gone since it be online.

[quote name='billgamer']It appears that the GS Stock Locator is very unreliable, (at least insofar as penny guides). I went to a local GS where the manager is cool and very friendly. Asked about Reach CE and when he checked the computer it said he had four copies, but when he went to the back to check, there were none to be found.[/QUOTE]

Most GS employees wont sell the penny guides, they get disposed (destroyed, taken, given away), so the Stock Locater will show how many they had when they should have stopped selling it.

It's a guide to which store(s) might have them.

[quote name='Jankee']Most GS employees wont sell the penny guides, they get disposed (destroyed, taken, given away), so the Stock Locater will show how many they had when they should have stopped selling it.

It's a guide to which store(s) might have them.[/QUOTE]Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying since the locator started getting used: Don't take the results of the locator seriously, as they're more than likely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back