Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eau']Hopefully they won't dump them in a landfill but recycle them. Wiping ass with toilet papers recycled from FF guides is better than some damn ecstacy :lol:[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that. I had the people at both GS and BB lie to my face for years about what they did with the pennied guides that people didn't buy(when they were still lenient n left em on the shelves the day of a drop:whistle2:#). Most of them said they 'recycled' them, but I had a suspicion they just got the ET treatment.:cry:

It's so f'n stupid. Either they're full price or they can't be sold. There is no middle ground most times. Thing is, most of the guides only tell you the same kinda crap you can find on Gamefaqs or any of the dozens of other game guide/cheat sites nowadays.

And that's not even saying anything about the price of these frickin' things. Just 2-3 gens ago they were $15 MAX. Now there's an LE edition of the guide for every other game that comes out and those cost at least half as much as the game itself. Ten to fifteen dollars MAX is what a guide SHOULD cost. They might see more sales and less junking out of these things if they actually reduced the prices a bit.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I can confirm this also. When I did my trade tonight, I saw a stack of 10 of them set to be destroyed when they closed.[/QUOTE]

Was this at the Fenton GS?

I didn't want to bump the thread, but since someone already did: I picked up 3x Sly Collection guides at BB today. Somehow they appeared in the one guide section at the tightwad store near me.

[quote name='KingNothing09']People still buy game guides? I figured free online walkthroughs/guides would have put that model out of business years ago.[/QUOTE]
Some people like collecting guides. Also it is more convenient to use a guide if you dont own a laptop and your PC is in a different room than your consoles are.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Some people like collecting guides. Also it is more convenient to use a guide if you dont own a laptop and your PC is in a different room than your consoles are.[/QUOTE]

Or if you are Amish like the OP is.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']He's not Amish - he's just poor :)[/QUOTE]
Hey now. I am NOT poor, just selective in the shit I buy. Case in point, up till the recent BBV sale I wouldn't even bother with Blu-Rays, but for $1-$4 each you can't go wrong. :booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hey now. I am NOT poor, just selective in the shit I buy. Case in point, up till the recent BBV sale I wouldn't even bother with Blu-Rays, but for $1-$4 each you can't go wrong. :booty:[/QUOTE]

I thought that too, and then I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still re-make.

With the exception of last October, I believe the pattern is the 3rd Monday of the month, not the first. May be wrong though.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I thought that too, and then I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still re-make.[/QUOTE]
Assuming I can find more Sony/Columbia ones at the next BBV sale, then those bad boys are worth 100 points on the Sony Rewards site supposedly.;)

So for $1-4 each to get 100 points apiece for them, that puts me that much closer to another PS3 game or whatever.;)

I actually had some good luck with the guides at BB - got a sealed NSMB, God of War Collection, God of War 2, etc. for between $5-$10 each.

[quote name='dabamus']I just found a Lego Star Wars Complete Saga guide on CL for $10. But it's 40 minutes away. (one way)[/QUOTE]

IF they provided name, addy and phone number...I would take a shot and send them $20 to ship it to you ...

but meh. that's just me ...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hey now. I am NOT poor, just selective in the shit I buy. Case in point, up till the recent BBV sale I wouldn't even bother with Blu-Rays, but for $1-$4 each you can't go wrong. :booty:[/QUOTE]

Yeah - hard to beat a buck for BR. I still left some that I had NO interest in seeing (Men who stare at goats, up in the air, dance flick, etc.) but I was pretty happy with 20 BR for 21 bucks...

Found SMG2 CE and Halo ODST at a GS Mall store, and Sly Collection at BB last weekend. This finally broke the months of dry spell for me.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Yeah - hard to beat a buck for BR. I still left some that I had NO interest in seeing (Men who stare at goats, up in the air, dance flick, etc.) but I was pretty happy with 20 BR for 21 bucks...[/QUOTE]
I'm kinda annoyed I didn't find out about the Sony Rewards registration points you can get(100 pts for each BR) until long AFTER the $.99 sale was done. Otherwise I would've bought 30-40 of the Sony-Columbia ones to make an easy 3-4k points towards another PS3 game on the rewards site.;)

Even if I never watched them, I think the two local gaming shops buy BR's for $1-2 each, so I coulda got the points AND made some scratch on the direct to video flicks I'd never watch.:razz:

[quote name='nas6034']Wrong thread IATCG. Saw a bunch of penny guides with 50% off at BB. Half a penny for a guide. Wow![/QUOTE]
:lol: I actually used to joke with em when I saw pennied guides on the clearance rack with the 50% off sticker on them that I didn't have any half cents on me, but then they'd override them to MSRP and then apply the 50% off and I'd stop laughing then.:cry:

I'm a little surprised we didn't get a drop today - here I was hoping to make today my first foray since breaking my hip four months ago, but, c'est la vie.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I'm glad.. gotta watch all the Electronic Three coverage today![/QUOTE]

"Electronic Three"? LOL. Is that like the Warriors Three?

And Visc, do you have inside info, or are you assuming no drop based on silence here? (The community has been known to miss a drop.)

Just an assumption - I did some (feeble) research on my own and had hypothesized that there are usually high probablilities of drops around now, and at latest, July, as I recall there being one every June since I started.

Nothing dropped off the site recently, and haven't heard anything from the BB employee's that come here so I'm guessing it will be at the end of the month like the previous 2 drops were.

I think it would be good to be in vegas, the way I see it would be, hit up stores over there. Then if they have any guides you'd get all of them. Then when you get home, you can do the same again, better odds when you go to more than one store I'd think

I hit up the Mattydale(NY, near Syracuse) Gamestop today and I found four guides and they DID have a shitton of copies of the HALO ODST guide and about 2-4 of the Animal Crossing: City Folk one among other pennied ones there.

But I got the following(kinda wishing I picked up some Animal Crossing City Folks or a couple ODST guides now):

:wii:Red Steel 2
:360::pc:Mass Effect 2
:ps3::360:Prince Of Persia: Forgotten Sands

and the coup de grace: :360:Fable 3 hardcover;)

EDIT: I just checked the second post and looked at the lists for GS drops for the first time since finding out I was banned and I just realized I passed up another 20-25 guides there, including a MOH CE one.:bomb:

They were having the one guy check the remaining stock as I was leaving too, so they're all likely gonna be dumpstered tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
GS pennied today

Arcania Gothic 4
GT5
Pokemon pocket pokedex 5
Alan Wake CE

I havent actually picked these up yet. I was just told by a manager.

[quote name='boneless']GS pennied today

Arcania Gothic 4
GT5
Pokemon pocket pokedex 5
Alan Wake CE

I havent actually picked these up yet. I was just told by a manager.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Saw an Alan Wake CE guide at a gamestop near my house the other day, definitely going to pick that up. Thanks for the info :D

[quote name='karatebear']Nice. Saw an Alan Wake CE guide at a gamestop near my house the other day, definitely going to pick that up. Thanks for the info :D[/QUOTE]

I think there's a lot of these floating around. Some managers keep them in the back since they're so old and take up rack space for current guides. It's been a running joke between the manager and me since the regular pennied long time ago and we've been patiently waiting for him to unload those.

Second and third posts are updated with the drop info from GS and FYE and FYE/Transworld stores(Coconuts, Sam Goody, FYE, etc, etc) has been added to the wiki for dropped guides.

FYI: Most stores also penny other items besides guides, such as the wallets and such that GS routinely pennies out. Case in point, :ps2:Everquest Online Adventures is pennied at FYE.

Another thing to note with FYE is that no one really checks regularly there, so there may be a TON of other dropped guides there. Best way to determine if a guide may be pennied(in general) is by the copyright date. If it's 2010/2011, then chances are it may NOT be pennied, but anything 2009 and back has a good chance of being pennied.

You're quite welcome. Although if you get a manager when asking for price checks on really old guides, don't be surprised if they lie to your face and say they're still full price.

But if I remember correctly the guides will come up as $.01 on the register display, so just keep an eye out for that price when they're ringing them up.

Don't forget to thumb through the games as well while you're there, as they sometimes mark down stuff to stupid cheap levels and it's buried in those racks they use.

That's how I found the EQ games for PS2 for $.01 each at a couple of stores. They were clearly marked $.01 too.

The Alan Wake CE is the one that has two guides wrapped up together, correct?

I believe a few of my stores have a couple left, guess I'll get back out there and try my luck one last time.

First time I got a penny guide!

After doing my 25¢ PS2 trade-in, I saw a copy of the Alan Wake strategy guide and artbook. The price sticker was becoming brown and yellow, and the thing was dusty. I stepped outside to use the nearby Fuddrucker's Wifi to check here because I could've sworn I read that was being pennied out. Apparently it was.

Went back inside to GameStop with my 39 cents of credit ready. Asked the clerk/manager if the guide had dropped in price. He scanned it, it was a penny, and told me to take it for free. Awesome. Usually I'm not a fan of the store because they push pre-orders down my throats all the time, but at least they're generally nice and apparently give away the penny guides (and previously they gave me some stuff you would get through PUR)!

Saw several copies of ODST hanging out. I couldn't justify picking that up for free. Halo doesn't need a guide!

Did Dragon Quest VI go down to a penny yet? I saw several copies of these at multiple GameStops in the last month or two but didn't see it today.

I decided to try for some penny guides yesterday, also my first time looking for them. The Gamestop I usually go to had quite a few of the ones listed in the op, but I guess some of them were new editions cause they rang up full price (Mass Effect 2 and Spirit Tracks) but two others rang up at a penny (Halo ODST and Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE). He told me they were out of the system and he couldn't sell them. I was disappointed but didn't want to argue so I thanked him and traded in a couple things I had on me. After he was done he said "actually, hold on..." scanned the penny guides, and handed them to me saying "yeah these are no longer in my system, here you go." So I got them for free! :D

I checked another Gamestop on the way to work, but an employee was breathing down my neck and it made me feel sketchy so I didn't get to make a thorough search. I did notice the Dragon Age 2 LE for $17.99 though, on sale.

[quote name='Luuc']I decided to try for some penny guides yesterday, also my first time looking for them. The Gamestop I usually go to had quite a few of the ones listed in the op, but I guess some of them were new editions cause they rang up full price (Mass Effect 2 and Spirit Tracks) but two others rang up at a penny (Halo ODST and Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE). He told me they were out of the system and he couldn't sell them. I was disappointed but didn't want to argue so I thanked him and traded in a couple things I had on me. After he was done he said "actually, hold on..." scanned the penny guides, and handed them to me saying "yeah these are no longer in my system, here you go." So I got them for free! :D

I checked another Gamestop on the way to work, but an employee was breathing down my neck and it made me feel sketchy so I didn't get to make a thorough search. I did notice the Dragon Age 2 LE for $17.99 though, on sale.[/QUOTE]

Almost all the EA game guides are 50% off at the moment...

[quote name='Luuc']Good to know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I believe it was in the Weekly Ad. Basically all the $39.99 EA Games (i.e. Dragon Age, Crysis) have the guides 50% off as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back