Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JediKiller24']There was a drop at GameStop today 10/10:

UFC 3
WWE 12
Ninja gaiden 3
Mario kart
Mario party 9

There may be more, but these were all pennied[/QUOTE]

Saints Row 3 and Mass Effect 3 CE as well. If anyone could get the latter I'd love to trade, it's the only one I'm missing.

[quote name='Vigilante']No, the "rare" one I meant was the Bayonetta guide ("latter" means the second of two things :razz:).[/QUOTE]

I understand what the word "latter" means. You said the portal 2 guide was "fantastic." I am wondering if it's worth the price people are asking for it on Amazon.com. Should I spend an extra $10 for the hardcover?

Hentai isn't really my thing, so I don't have much interest in playing Bayonetta :p

jk

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I understand what the word "latter" means. You said the portal 2 guide was "fantastic." I am wondering if it's worth the price people are asking for it on Amazon.com. Should I spend an extra $10 for the hardcover?

Hentai isn't really my thing, so I don't have much interest in playing Bayonetta :p

jk[/QUOTE]Ah, I see; I apologize if I came across as condescending.

To answer your question, I'd say yes, go ahead and get the hardcover for $10 more. I didn't realize the hardcover existed until I bought the softcover, and I'm not willing to buy it again, but if I hadn't gotten the softcover, I'd have gone with the hardcover.

A game like Portal 2 truly deserves a hardcover guide. :cool:

[quote name='sasukekun']Just picked up a ME3 CE :D[/QUOTE]

Stock Locator is still working on the website but obviously YMMV if you can snag it.

[quote name='coopscohen']Stock Locator is still working on the website but obviously YMMV if you can snag it.[/QUOTE]

Helps if you work there and closed today too ;)

[quote name='coopscohen']Stock Locator is still working on the website but obviously YMMV if you can snag it.[/QUOTE]

Hi coop!

Cool trick, I'll call some people I know tomorrow. There are two stores that I'll be driving by that show stock.

[quote name='sasukekun']Just picked up a ME3 CE :D[/QUOTE]
At Best Buy? Did it ring up a penny or did it say that you can't buy it?

There's a couple of copies of the ME3 CE guide nearby. Would I jeopardize my chances by placing a hold for instore pickup?

[quote name='Lemstar']There's a couple of copies of the ME3 CE guide nearby. Would I jeopardize my chances by placing a hold for instore pickup?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely.

Thanks jk was able to get SR3 and 2 Mario Karts putting the extra mario up for trade. Bummed that my local didnt have ME 3 le never even seen it on the floor. My guy said no worries that if the reg me3 goes penny he has 20 + copies in the back. Sweet!

I almost got a nice haul.... Me ce, mario kart, mario party and ufc! Cashier rang up the guides and it pennied. Then manager came and saw the guides and told me i couldnt have them. Hes probably gonna bring it home later when no one s watching! I could see it in his smile! Sheesh!

For the first time in ages, I actually found some penny guides. I only took one (Saint's Row 3) since the other ones didn't really catch my eye and I didn't want to push my luck. Regardless, I'm happy! First penny guide in a long time.

EDIT: What's a cheap way to ship guides? I intend to put my Saint's Row 3 guide up to trade for a Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One guide, but I don't want to break the bank on shipping.

USPS media mail with delivery confirmation. If you do it at the PO it will roughly cost $3.50-3.75, depending on where it's being sent. You definitely want to use a bubble mailer.

[quote name='neocisco']USPS media mail with delivery confirmation. If you do it at the PO it will roughly cost $3.50-3.75, depending on where it's being sent. You definitely want to use a bubble mailer.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget a piece of cardboard on at least one side. Although I've also put guides into a plastic bag from GS/BB/TRU before and reused one of the larger Amazon cardboard mailers and then put that whole mess into the bubble mailer. Either that or I put cardboard on BOTH sides after putting the guide into a reused bag from a retail chain and then taping the whole thing together.

It may add a bit to the weight, but it's better than just tossing the guide into the mailer without adding any sort of rigidity and water seepage protection to the package.

That was a lesson I learned the hard way when trading someone on CAG a buttload of guides for an old school Xbox and a bunch of extra controllers a while ago.

[quote name='neocisco']USPS media mail with delivery confirmation. If you do it at the PO it will roughly cost $3.50-3.75, depending on where it's being sent. You definitely want to use a bubble mailer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't forget a piece of cardboard on at least one side. Although I've also put guides into a plastic bag from GS/BB/TRU before and reused one of the larger Amazon cardboard mailers and then put that whole mess into the bubble mailer. Either that or I put cardboard on BOTH sides after putting the guide into a reused bag from a retail chain and then taping the whole thing together.

It may add a bit to the weight, but it's better than just tossing the guide into the mailer without adding any sort of rigidity and water seepage protection to the package.

That was a lesson I learned the hard way when trading someone on CAG a buttload of guides for an old school Xbox and a bunch of extra controllers a while ago.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep both of these in mind, thanks guys.

Found 2 Mario Kart guides at my Gamestop but was denied. That's the second time I've denied now... I hope it doesn't continue. I also saw a stack of what I assume to be pulled guides as there was a Ninja Gaiden 3 on top of a bunch of Mass Effect 3 softcover guides. Maybe the ME3 softcover is also pennied.

Getting guides from Gamestop is always such an annoyance. They're either pulled already or the employees know not to sell them. It's even worse now that the pennied guides are still coming up at the normal price when the Gamestop tag is scanned instead of the barcode.

[quote name='IndelibleSin']Found 2 Mario Kart guides at my Gamestop but was denied. That's the second time I've denied now... I hope it doesn't continue. I also saw a stack of what I assume to be pulled guides as there was a Ninja Gaiden 3 on top of a bunch of Mass Effect 3 softcover guides. Maybe the ME3 softcover is also pennied.[/QUOTE]

NG3 yes. ME3 hardcover yes. ME3 softcover no.

Sorry I haven't updated the OP yet. Going to do that now.

Here are the guides that dropped.

Mario Kart 7
Mario Party 9
Mass Effect 3 CE
Ninja Gaiden 3
Saints Row The Third
UFC 3
WWE 12

Updated.

[quote name='Fukurou']Getting guides from Gamestop is always such an annoyance. They're either pulled already or the employees know not to sell them. It's even worse now that the pennied guides are still coming up at the normal price when the Gamestop tag is scanned instead of the barcode.[/QUOTE]

You understand it's annoying because you aren't supposed to be able to do what you're trying to do, right? GS is supposed to pull the guides and not sell them to you for a penny. That's the procedure.

[quote name='knight19']You understand it's annoying because you aren't supposed to be able to do what you're trying to do, right? GS is supposed to pull the guides and not sell them to you for a penny. That's the procedure.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine explained how "rude" it is, comparing it to a soup kitchen. 'Why throw out perfectly good food when you can give it to someone in need?'

[quote name='Romeo']A friend of mine explained how "rude" it is, comparing it to a soup kitchen. 'Why throw out perfectly good food when you can give it to someone in need?'[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but this comparison sucks. You won't die without a video game guide.

Blame Campbell's for giving them money back to throw out the soup.

Been wanting Mass Effect 3 CE for a while. Ordered from goHastings before, but they sent it to CA instead of PA and haven't gotten one back in stock that I've seen.

[quote name='hellmutt']I'm sorry, but this comparison sucks. You won't die without a video game guide.[/QUOTE]
But sir, I will die without a video game guide... multiple times in fact, before I figure out what to do!;)

[quote name='IndelibleSin']But sir, I will die without a video game guide... multiple times in fact, before I figure out what to do!;)[/QUOTE]

I do think you've got me there! Well done :)

Picked up a $5 Dark Souls guide today at Gamestop. I saw the new Pokemon guide at Gamestop and Best Buy. The CE looks awesome. I'll use my 50% strategy guide coupon that I got from Best Buy to get it.

I had a vanilla edition of the older version Skyrim guide scanned today at BB. It came up cover price. I thought I read from lox that those were on a pull order a lil while ago?

I want more penny drops soon. Ive been shipping bumdles of these guides to amazon for easy credit. I have loads of boxes at my job so i dont have to pay for packaging either :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']I want more penny drops soon. Ive been shipping bumdles of these guides to amazon for easy credit. I have loads of boxes at my job so i dont have to pay for packaging either :)[/QUOTE]
I certainly hope you've been checking the selling prices on Amazon first before just chucking them into a box and dumping them to Amazon. I did that a while ago and found out I had a few worth $40 or so that Amazon was going to give me maybe $5-7 for.:roll:

Cash is king.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I certainly hope you've been checking the selling prices on Amazon first before just chucking them into a box and dumping them to Amazon. I did that a while ago and found out I had a few worth $40 or so that Amazon was going to give me maybe $5-7 for.:roll:

Cash is king.;)[/QUOTE]

they werent worth much. Now the borderlands goty guide that i have on the other hand

i got lucky and bought one a at best buy a few months ago. unfortunately i had already used my 50% off coupon from my gamer's club welcome letter (on a skyrim guide which is now outdated). but i guess i was lucky finding the borderlands GOTY guide anyway...

[quote name='Fukurou']I wonder if it will be possible to ever get pennied guides from Best Buy ever again.[/QUOTE]

Yes, these and other First World Problems weigh heavily on us all. Still, we must go on... somehow.

[quote name='Fukurou']I wonder if it will be possible to ever get pennied guides from Best Buy ever again.[/QUOTE]

I can live without them.

Seems kinda pointless, to me, since you can look up videos guides, GameFAQs, and guides for basically anything on a smart phone or tablet.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I can live without them.

Seems kinda pointless, to me, since you can look up videos guides, GameFAQs, and guides for basically anything on a smart phone or tablet.[/QUOTE]
The only problem with that is many of those guides don't have the full color maps that some of the manufactured ones do. Not to mention if you're actually somewhere without internet access.:shock:

Then again at that point you would have to do what we gamers back in the stone ages of gaming had to do: try to figure it out ourselves.:shock:

[quote name='gantt']Yes, these and other First World Problems weigh heavily on us all. Still, we must go on... somehow.[/QUOTE]
I see this response about every day on forums and I think to myself, what a terrible response.

[quote name='Fukurou']I don't really care about using the guides. I just like collecting them.[/QUOTE]
But the thing is, BB/GS/TRU/etc all like collecting something too. It's called money. They get credits from the publishers for the stock they eliminate by destroying. No record of the pulls or destruction or a bunch of sales of these guides for $.01 each and those credits go away.

Yeah, the companies get credit. But from who? Of course, it's from the publishers. The publishers lose money. I don't have a problem with Best Buy, but I'd be more than happy with Gamestop and TRU losing money over the publishers.

Got Darkness 2 for a penny at best buy earlier today. Actually it was just free, they deleted the sku and so she just gave it to me.

[quote name='Dragonaxe3']Got Darkness 2 for a penny at best buy earlier today. Actually it was just free, they deleted the sku and so she just gave it to me.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me but it was a Hunted: The Demon's Forge guide.

[quote name='gantt']Yes, these and other First World Problems weigh heavily on us all. Still, we must go on... somehow.[/QUOTE]

"And then there are some of the unfunniest fuckers this world has ever known. I don't mean non-professional comedy writers -- there are tons of hilarious people being funny on Twitter in their spare time. I'm talking about people you'd never want to be stuck talking to at a party who think they're hilarious because Twitter gave them a comedy shortcut in the form of a hashtag. For those who don't know (somehow), hashtags are ways to make it appear you're telling a joke without actually saying anything funny.

One tag that I particularly hate is #firstworldproblems. See, you complain about something small and then you type #firstworldproblems after it and suddenly it's supposed to be a joke: "Hey, the barista didn't leave room for my milk. #firstworldproblems"

Look at me. I'm a funny person. Twitter has taught me how to construct humor out of nothing at all! These are the same people who think they're making a joke when they shout, reflexively, "TMI!" or "Thanks for sharing" after anyone reveals anything personal or off-color.

People say sarcasm is the humor of the weak, but they're wrong. It's hashtags. fucking hashtags."
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-internet-changed-comedy-for-better-worse_p2/

Read more: 4 Ways the Internet Changed Comedy (For Better and Worse) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-internet-changed-comedy-for-better-worse_p2/#ixzz29j0MyFu7

bread's done
Back