Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bosamba']"And then there are some of the unfunniest fuckers this world has ever known. I don't mean non-professional comedy writers -- there are tons of hilarious people being funny on Twitter in their spare time. I'm talking about people you'd never want to be stuck talking to at a party who think they're hilarious because Twitter gave them a comedy shortcut in the form of a hashtag. For those who don't know (somehow), hashtags are ways to make it appear you're telling a joke without actually saying anything funny.

One tag that I particularly hate is #firstworldproblems. See, you complain about something small and then you type #firstworldproblems after it and suddenly it's supposed to be a joke: "Hey, the barista didn't leave room for my milk. #firstworldproblems"

Look at me. I'm a funny person. Twitter has taught me how to construct humor out of nothing at all! These are the same people who think they're making a joke when they shout, reflexively, "TMI!" or "Thanks for sharing" after anyone reveals anything personal or off-color.

People say sarcasm is the humor of the weak, but they're wrong. It's hashtags. fucking hashtags."
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-internet-changed-comedy-for-better-worse_p2/

Read more: 4 Ways the Internet Changed Comedy (For Better and Worse) | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-internet-changed-comedy-for-better-worse_p2/#ixzz29j0MyFu7[/QUOTE]

I'm being 100% serious. This is one of the greatest things I have ever read on the Internet.

There's one thing more pathetic than someone who isn't capable of the simple logical thinking required to differentiate between labeling one's own comments in an attempt at humor and applying the label to others' comments to restore some sense of perspective. That would be someone who isn't even capable of expressing their own thoughts and has to quote others, regardless of the irrelevance of the quote.

Actually, two things more pathetic: the other being the author of the quote, who assumes that there is someone - anyone - who cares what he thinks of hashtags. Irritated to the point of profanity - by hashtags? Really? #firstworldproblems ;) I hope he's apoplectic now.

Now perhaps we can talk about reduced price guides again, without the implied hand-wringing and angst about "the end of penny guides." That line of speculation is tediously frequent here - and (as evidenced by recent posts) just as frequently, wrong.

[quote name='Bosamba']"And then there are some of the unfunniest fuckers this world has ever known... [words][/QUOTE]

Had a hit at a St. Louis area mall Gamestop about 3 weeks ago. Got a Deus Ex for free (rang it up but the cashier just paid the penny - nice). They did mention that "someone must have missed these," unfortunately.

Also tried a Collinsville Gamestop and got nothing. Only had a few really new guides on the floor and the ones that he told me were in the back were newer-ish as well.

GS Drop 10/24

Red Dead GOTY

There were other guides that pennied as well, but I forgot to check them. I'll post them after I close tomorrow if they haven't been posted by then.

[quote name='invizibleskratchpikl']GS Drop 10/24

Red Dead GOTY

There were other guides that pennied as well, but I forgot to check them. I'll post them after I close tomorrow if they haven't been posted by then.[/QUOTE]

One of my gamestops has three of those, sweet ! Post the others asap

Red Dead GOTY

There were other guides that pennied as well, but I forgot to check them. I'll post them after I close tomorrow if they haven't been posted by then.[/QUOTE]

I've wanted that for a while now.

Red Dead GOTY

Thanks man, I look forward to tomorrow's post. I know a GS that definitely has 1 in stock. We'll see if it's there tomorrow.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Thanks man, I look forward to tomorrow's post. I know a GS that definitely has 1 in stock. We'll see if it's there tomorrow.

I was just reading the last page of this thread and noticed something. It's off topic, but...
does anyone know why IATCG is banned from CAG? If anyone knows, please send me a PM to avoid thread clutter. I'm just a nosy person, huh? :)
[/QUOTE]

He was banned!?! That's unfortunate. Reading his rants always gave me a good chuckle.

haha, duh! totally drew a blank and I picked it up with the SC V HC, one of those days..wish some more guides would go to $5, those are the new penny guides for me!

New drop 10/25/12

Gears of war 3 regular edition

I picked up two of these. now to get those rdr goty guides :). Oh amd I scanned soul calibur and mw3 and they are still 5$

[quote name='strait edge follower']New drop 12/25/12

Gears of war 3 regular edition

I picked up two of these. now to get those rdr goty guides :). Oh amd I scanned soul calibur and mw3 and they are still 5$[/QUOTE]

Um...the drop is going to happen on Christmas Day? That is some crazy intel you have. :lol: I am guessing you mean 10/25/12

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I saw white knight chronicles 2 guide for a penny.[/QUOTE]

I just went back and got two of these. Thank God that a Gamestop is a really short distance from my home :)

Quick question one of my locals that had gow 3 reg ed were still showing at 4.99 while I did get 2 of the other pennied out guides there. Is it system wide the markdown? Or was it just a simple goof ?They had like 10 copies just curious. Apologies to Sef.

Is anyone going to be placing any of their guides on their trade list? I just ask because the trade thread exists but it has lost some momentum. And as guy who has an extra COD MW3 guide I am hopeful that a RDR GOTY makes its way over there. :)

It seems to me that guide trading here is essentially dead. All of these people post about getting multiples of guides yet the trade thread rarely gets any updates. I don't really fault people for getting these guides for flipping but don't post here about getting them if you're not going to make them available for trade to people here.

[quote name='neocisco']It seems to me that guide trading here is essentially dead. All of these people post about getting multiples of guides yet the trade thread rarely gets any updates. I don't really fault people for getting these guides for flipping but don't post here about getting them if you're not going to make them available for trade to people here.[/QUOTE]

I try awhile back to help other CAG out, but i still have many old guides (new) that no one wants.

[quote name='neocisco']It seems to me that guide trading here is essentially dead. All of these people post about getting multiples of guides yet the trade thread rarely gets any updates. I don't really fault people for getting these guides for flipping but don't post here about getting them if you're not going to make them available for trade to people here.[/QUOTE]

The reason for my lack of updates is that penny guides are usually dead for me.

Best Buy now removes SKUs, and the employees tend to refuse to sell because of that.

Gamestops in my area are typically very diligent about pulling guides and refusing to sell them. (Plus, I'm working now so I can't go crazy on Wednesday mornings to try to beat the pulls.)

I picked up a Spiderman guide but my area has no rdr guides. If anyone has a red dead guide pm me. I only have a handfull of guides left to trade though as I did a guide blowout sale on craigslist lol

Oh and the Gamestop employee told me that his manager said that Gamestop is going to go the digital route for their guides (prob by next year in my mind). Could this be the end of penny guides pretty soon ?

Going through guide collection, so will be making an updates to my list shortly.

Agree with what you've said about people bragging about multiple pickups. I've tried asking some of them if they would consider trading, but got no responses.

Haven't gotten a penny guide since BB cracked down. When I moved a few months ago, I trashed a good lot of older guides just to not have to move them. The others are stacked in the garage now...

Just because you do not get a responce towards your guide inquiry doesn't equate bragging. RDR GOTY guide is a really nice guide and that those lucky to get one or more may want to keep it. Some of the trades offered are laughable. Sims 3 and alpha protocol doesnt make me want to do a trade. A fair trade is welcomed if a both parties want a trade. Cags would post it for trade if it were up for trade. I am currently away after boarding up my house for the up coming storm last thing on my mind is that somebody didnt get the guide they want. I kept one and gave away the other two. I posted what I got so someone could use the info to find RDR which was posted but also UMVC 3 which at that time wasnt posted. Not everyone here resells on amazon/craigslist I like the guides and so do my kids. Ok im off my soapbox :lol:

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Just because you do not get a responce towards your guide inquiry doesn't equate bragging.[/QUOTE]

No one said it did. The bragging comes in when someone posts "I got 3 Gears of War 3 CE guides today" in this thread. If they're not going to post some of those guides on a TL then that post is essentially useless, particularly when they're talking about the quantity they got.

To address the rest of your post, the point that has been brought up about brag posting really has nothing to do about trade offers and the quality thereof (which I happen to agree with most of what you said). Pooky wasn't talking about people not wanting to trade but about people not responding to a request for a trade, even just to decline. If someone takes a few moments to send you a PM asking about a trade it's no problem at all to be a polite human being and take a minute to respond even if you're not interested.

Keeping guides for personal enjoyment is perfectly fine. That's the whole point of getting them in the first place. If someone gets 2 or more copies of a guide, though, there is no reason to post about it unless they are being made available for trading.

Sorry the OP hasn't been updated for the last drop. Working on it now!

What I gathered from discussion.

Gears of War 3
Red Dead: Redemption GOTY
The Amazing Spider-man
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
White Knight Chronicles 2

Done!

[quote name='Dark Rider']Sorry the OP hasn't been updated for the last drop. Working on it now!

What I gathered from discussion.

Gears of War 3
Red Dead: Redemption GOTY
The Amazing Spider-man
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
White Knight Chronicles 2
[/QUOTE]

I can personally verify all but U-MvC3 and Red Dead GOTY. Just a heads up but Red Dead GOTY was not pennied, it comes up $24.99...

[quote name='Romeo']I can personally verify all but U-MvC3 and Red Dead GOTY. Just a heads up but Red Dead GOTY was not pennied, it comes up $24.99...[/QUOTE]

When i was hunting copys of it down two days ago they said it was pennied. It showed up in their system as pennied too. Was the gamestop bar code scanned ? If not thats why it came up as 24.99

[quote name='strait edge follower']When i was hunting copys of it down two days ago they said it was pennied. It showed up in their system as pennied too. Was the gamestop bar code scanned ? If not thats why it came up as 24.99[/QUOTE]

I checked in store on Friday. We didn't scan it, just looked it up by name. It came up still in the system at $25.

[quote name='Romeo']I checked in store on Friday. We didn't scan it, just looked it up by name. It came up still in the system at $25.[/QUOTE]

If the guide is there i suggest you go back and scan the gamestop barcode. it would suck for you to possibly miss out on a great deal for that guide. If only i could find one

[quote name='strait edge follower']If the guide is there i suggest you go back and scan the gamestop barcode. it would suck for you to possibly miss out on a great deal for that guide. If only i could find one[/QUOTE]

The thing is it 'disappeared' from one of my local stores, no one knows where it went. Same with one of the White Knight's.

Had the same problem at first with GOW 3 computer read it at the price of $4.99 then the next day was pennied out was happy to get a copy. Wens $4.99 price thurs $0.01.

[quote name='Romeo']The thing is it 'disappeared' from one of my local stores, no one knows where it went. Same with one of the White Knight's.[/QUOTE]

The two red deads that i saw a day or two before they dropped disappeared as well (employee most likley). When they suddenly vanish thats a sign of a penny drop

[quote name='Romeo']I can personally verify all but U-MvC3 and Red Dead GOTY. Just a heads up but Red Dead GOTY was not pennied, it comes up $24.99...[/QUOTE]

RD GOTY was pennied at my store. They game it to me for free. This was a couple days ago.

bread's done
Back