Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Are posts about IATCG being deleted, I keep getting notifications but the messages are now gone. I'm wondering at this point which mod is doing this and maybe it's time to bring cheapyD into the discussion. I agree with the post that triggered this. He was a valuable addition and offered more positive that negative by far.

Was able to find a Rage and Fallout: New Vegas guide today at BB.

Scanned a bunch of other guides, including Witcher 2, SR3 and a couple Lego game guides, but they were still full price.

[quote name='shieryda']Was able to find a Rage and Fallout: New Vegas guide today at BB.

Scanned a bunch of other guides, including Witcher 2, SR3 and a couple Lego game guides, but they were still full price.[/QUOTE]

did they ring up as 1 cent or out of system?

It was weird, because the computer near the trade-ins rang them up as 1 cent, but then they were out of the system when I took them to a cashier. A couple calls around on the headsets, and they finally just gave them to me for free.

[quote name='shieryda']Was able to find a Rage and Fallout: New Vegas guide today at BB.

Scanned a bunch of other guides, including Witcher 2, SR3 and a couple Lego game guides, but they were still full price.[/QUOTE]

I saw a lot of those guides at my best buy. Except my best buy has those guides with the games. So you have to buy the game to get guide with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maxpower0965']I saw a lot of those guides at my best buy. Except mybest buy has those guides with the games. So you have to buy the game to get guide with it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Haven't seen that constraint at Best Buy yet, but I don't doubt that some are trying it.

man, i slacked off lately.
A few months ago when I found out about the penny guides, A local gamestop with good people as workers, gav me a Dragon Age 2 hardcover, and told me wednesdays are the day to check.
I forgot to keep checking and missed out on that darn RED DEAD guide.
n ow its like 40 something on amazon.
:(

Went around today and picked up Kid Icarus and ME3 CE
So its ok i suppose.

Also, no guides pennied out in the last month?

[quote name='neuroticomic']man, i slacked off lately.
A few months ago when I found out about the penny guides, A local gamestop with good people as workers, gav me a Dragon Age 2 hardcover, and told me wednesdays are the day to check.
I forgot to keep checking and missed out on that darn RED DEAD guide.
n ow its like 40 something on amazon.
:(

Went around today and picked up Kid Icarus and ME3 CE
So its ok i suppose.

Also, no guides pennied out in the last month?[/QUOTE]

What store did you get the ME3 CE at ?

7 Gamestops in the area and not one keeps guides out on the floor. They're all in the back. Whenever I ask for one, they look it up on the comupter. Pennied guides don't show up, obviously.

[quote name='OscillatingFerret']Long time lurker, finally registered to contribute something.

Found these at Toys R Us a couple days ago:

Call of Duty Black Ops
TMNT Smash Up (09 Ubi game)[/QUOTE]

Gracias, and welcome to CAG! The OP has been updated!

Went to Toys R Us and found these:

Bio Shock 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
UFC Undisputed 2010
Metroid
Dragon Age Origins
Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story
Madden 12

Was gonna scan more guides but the Toys R Us had only one working scanner. And I had a long line waiting on me to finish price checking all the guides.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Woot!!!! Found a Zelda:Skyward Sword LE at my local Gamestop. The nice employees gave it to me with nothing but a smile.[/QUOTE]

You're lucky. I found two a when I was on a trip a few weeks ago. The ASM at night refused to give it to me without her managers approval, gave me a business card, and told me to call back the next day. I did and was denied. And of course no rep is going to throw them out, it's imbecilic, particularly a guide that is decently old and has value.

Checked 2 store for Inside Story. Found the last copy at the 2nd TRU, and it rang up $10.99. The manager refused to sell it for a penny.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']A couple of under $5 guides at Amazon (by Amazon):

Prototype 2
Diablo III[/QUOTE]

Nice find, I ordered Prototype 2.

[quote name='maxpower0965']Went to Toys R Us and found these:

Bio Shock 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
UFC Undisputed 2010
Metroid
Dragon Age Origins
Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story
Madden 12

Was gonna scan more guides but the Toys R Us had only one working scanner. And I had a long line waiting on me to finish price checking all the guides.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shieryda']Checked 2 store for Inside Story. Found the last copy at the 2nd TRU, and it rang up $10.99. The manager refused to sell it for a penny.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. That concerns me. Anyone else had luck with these guides?

[quote name='Dark Rider']Hmm. That concerns me. Anyone else had luck with these guides?[/QUOTE]

Checked yesterday, didn't see a single one.

[quote name='dutch72']Local Gamestop told me today that the Kingdoms of Amalur guide got pennied out today.[/QUOTE]...WAT. The one time I don't want a guide to penny out, it does (I was planning on getting this guide during the 50% off all guides promo that starts on Wednesday), and now I probably won't be able to find it. :bomb:

[quote name='Vigilante']...WAT. The one time I don't want a guide to penny out, it does (I was planning on getting this guide during the 50% off all guides promo that starts on Wednesday), and now I probably won't be able to find it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

L-O-freaking-L

[quote name='coopscohen']It's still showing up on the website as $26.99.[/QUOTE]Yeah, but place a PickUp@Store hold and it'll show the in-store price as $0.01. :\

[quote name='Vigilante']Yeah, but place a PickUp@Store hold and it'll show the in-store price as $0.01. :\[/QUOTE]

Just threw a couple PU orders out there just for the hell of it.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Just threw a couple PU orders out there just for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]

I did also. Had my first one come back that they were unable to find and this store said "in stock." Trying three more stores in my area before they remove the listing like they did with the ME 3 CE.

I'm not going to place any holds because I don't want to risk them pulling the guides just because I reminded them of their existence. There are a couple of stores that still have them, and all stores are closed for New Year's Day, so I'll chance it until I can next visit those stores.

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm not going to place any holds because I don't want to risk them pulling the guides just because I reminded them of their existence. There are a couple of stores that still have them, and all stores are closed for New Year's Day, so I'll chance it until I can next visit those stores.[/QUOTE]

I hear you on that. I never get any of them around here anyways, our district is on lockdown. So I may as well save myself the trouble of getting rejected in the store - I can save gas and get rejected online. Just like with my dates.

So based on what Vigilante said earlier about the in-store price for Kingdoms of Amalur showing up as $0.01 for store pick up, I searched the guides on the website and found a few more that pennied.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Resident Evil: Archives Volume II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

The ones that show up as 1 cent for store pick up will ring up as 1 cent if I just walk in and grab one without reserving it, right?

[quote name='Tempius']I took a picture of the page that says 1 cent on my phone to show them just incase.[/QUOTE]

RE Archives 2 shows full price for me no matter what the page.

I live in the NW Suburbs of Chicago and have never seen a guide pennied out at my local Gamestops.

Does anyone know which locations sell pennied guides?

Thanks.

[quote name='coopscohen']So based on what Vigilante said earlier about the in-store price for Kingdoms of Amalur showing up as $0.01 for store pick up, I searched the guides on the website and found a few more that pennied.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Resident Evil: Archives Volume II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
[/QUOTE]...Not that I'm necessarily blaming you, but someone posted all that on Slickdeals, including the in-store pickup option: http://slickdeals.net/f/5763676-Gam...ess-Others-StorePickup-Upon-Availability-ONLY

:wall: I think I'm starting to regret saying anything.

[quote name='Vigilante']...WAT. The one time I don't want a guide to penny out, it does (I was planning on getting this guide during the 50% off all guides promo that starts on Wednesday), and now I probably won't be able to find it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

This.

Placed an in-store pickup for Transformers, RE Archives 2 and RE ORC. Out of KOA or would've grabbed it without a thought. Also threw in a Dark Souls for $4.99. Is it a decent guide?

Was able to get a TF:FoC in-store pickup locked in, but CoD:MW3 and RE:ORC are just cycling on the submission button. Have tried twice now..

This will be pretty damn epic if they actually honor it, the GS's have been dicks for the past year and a half about their penny guides, they even have been keeping all guides in the back room except for the ones for the newest releases.

[quote name='jupiterjones']Placed an in-store pickup for Transformers, RE Archives 2 and RE ORC. Out of KOA or would've grabbed it without a thought. Also threw in a Dark Souls for $4.99. Is it a decent guide?[/QUOTE]

Supposedly the Dark Souls guide is not 100% accurate now - the game has been patched to rebalance, but it's hard cover and high quality. If you're a collector or have any interest in Dark Souls, it's definitely worth $4.99.

bread's done
Back