Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop 6/10

dying light
infinity 2.0 marvel
far cry 4
cod aw
dragon age ce
evolve
destiny
lego batman 3
Are these penny guides or what?

Still no point. Waste of gas and time to even go. 75% of the transactions will get denied. 25% of the people that try might get something.

That risk is not worth me driving in town for 2-3 guides. Maybe if I'm passing to begin with but not going out of way just to check for them.

Are these penny guides or what?

Still no point. Waste of gas and time to even go. 75% of the transactions will get denied. 25% of the people that try might get something.

That risk is not worth me driving in town for 2-3 guides. Maybe if I'm passing to begin with but not going out of way just to check for them.
If you hurry, you have 10 minutes to put in hold requests.

There was one more I missed. Only 8 items dropped off GS.com

All of them were guides.
Gamestop doesn't do holds on pennied guides. If a store is doing that for you which it does happen. It means you're just lucky and that store is breaking policy.

Pretty sure per publisher they have to destroy the guide by ripping the covers.

Almost all best buys now won't sell or give away the pennied guides any more.

If anyone feels like wasting their time for 1-2 guides and a long hassle be my guest but the few people that show big scores of guides is the minority.

My stores have all been on top of it since I got my Xillia 2 CE guide and they freaked out. DM grabbed then by the balls.

I work near a GameStop so I ran over at 10:00. I was was shot down though on Lego batman 3. I even added another item to my purchase. I got the line that they can not sell them. At least I got some exercise.
Looks like tru is the last option for penny guides. I checked Mario kart 8 and wind waker hd at tru yesterday and they were still full price.

My stores have all been on top of it since I got my Xillia 2 CE guide and they freaked out. DM grabbed then by the balls.
Exact same here. That was the last time I was able to hit a couple stores and have like 75% success. I'm now at like a.... 0% success for the last 4 months.

I don't even try anymore unless I just happen to be in store and see one... And even then... Stil shot down every time.

I've actually had better success at best buy. Was shot down four times in a row and had success my last two times. But only one guide each time.

TRU is da real MVP

I don't even try anymore unless I just happen to be in store and see one... And even then... Stil shot down every time.

I've actually had better success at best buy. Was shot down four times in a row and had success my last two times. But only one guide each time.

TRU is da real MVP
So when you guys check guides at TRU do you bring all the guides you want to check up to a scanner or the checkout?

TRU is da real MVP
How? Next time I might just whip out my Elite Plus.

How? Next time I might just whip out my Elite Plus.
You would think you would get some type of special nod of absolute admiration for being such a badass being Elite Plus. However, I've never had a single person bat an eye at my glorious accomplishment.

I just brought the guide up to the register, played stupid, manager gave it to me for free.

Highly unusual.

I didn't do anything special. Well, now that I think about it. I had my daughter with me both times. She's totally a wing-girl for guide collecting.

You would think you would get some type of special nod of absolute admiration for being such a badass being Elite Plus. However, I've never had a single person bat an eye at my glorious accomplishment.

I just brought the guide up to the register, played stupid, manager gave it to me for free.

Highly unusual.

I didn't do anything special. Well, now that I think about it. I had my daughter with me both times. She's totally a wing-girl for guide collecting.
. Bringing the kids is always helpful when scoring penny guides or other deals. The cashiers give me less grief at tru when the kids are with me when grabbing the penny guides

Don't get me started on TRU. I was on vacation in another state last month and drove past one with my girlfriend. We stopped in and I was looking around and noticed they had literally every 2 cent guide imaginable. I got super excited and grabbed some Pikmin and Zelda guides. We got up to the register and at this point I had about 5 guides total (didn't want to go too crazy) and a couple amiibo. The ladies at the register started whispering to each other while they were ringing up other customers staring dead at me. We get to the counter and she scans the first guide, it rings up 2 cents and she rudely yells "WE CAN'T SELL YOU ANY OF THESE." I ask why and they can't even give me a straight answer. I feel bad for my girlfriend because this whole situation is embarrassing the hell out of her because she's completely oblivious to what is going on. Then the lady makes a huge deal about it "if you buy these you're stealing from the store, I'm calling my LP manager up here." I told her it's fine, I just wanted a straight answer and not some bullshit. I told them to keep the amiibo I didn't want them. I went back 5 days later on the last day we were there and EVERY SINGLE GUIDE I had left there was sitting on the fucking shelf still.........

Shoutout to Darby and tumbenhaur. I went to that store to buy a ffxii ce guide and it rang up 1.97. What's absolutely insane in that store had 39 of these in stock. I picked up 3 as a result...one to use one to keep sealed and one because I'm an idiot. Cheers guys.

Ps. Lol also noticed you get 10% off for being a pur pro on guides. Forgot all about that.

Well that was a waste of time, my store generally allows penny guide sales but they only had Dying Light and CoD. Still thanks Darby and if your buying penny guides at TRU try at night and argue a little, it usually works for me.

Nothing new today, the site actually went UP 1 item at 10am.

From my in store holds last week, I was 2/3 on getting "ready to pickup" and 1/2 on actually picking them up.

The first one I walked in and said I had it on hold and the girl just gave it to me.

The second one they put a DAI regular edition with the slip.  They couldn't find the CE guide anywhere even though the system said they had 2.

In the past few weeks I've found in stores: AC U LE, AC Rogue, Far Cry 4, and the Lego Batman 3 that they gave me last Wednesday.

Thank you Darby for your contributions here. I wanted to post here earlier though I didn't want people to click and get their hopes up thinking that a new Wednesday post means new drops!

Yesterday I scored a DA:I CE that just happened to be sitting on a rack in front of the registers from a local store.

8/5 GS

:pc: EverQuest II Sentinel's Fate

:pc: Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures

:pc: Age of Conan Rise of the God Slayers

:pc: Rift

:pc: The Haunted: Hell's Reach

Disney Infinity Base Protector sku  803717

Skylanders Giants Battle Pack sku 320225

:360: Tomb Raider Underworld Expansion Token Pack

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Bash Individual Character Pack sku 320147

LeapFrog Explorer Learning Game: Disney Pixar Brave sku 130033

LeapFrog Explorer Learning Game: Disney Tangled sku 130045

nabi 2 Care Kit sku 884665

Leapster Madagascar Penquins sku 130077

Nexus 7 Travel Cover - Pink sku 811067

nabi Bumper with Name Plate - Glow in the Dark sku 884661

Kindle Fire Screen Protector 7 sku 810977

T-Mobile - Alcatel Sparq 2 sku 090023

LeapFrog Explorer Learning Game - Disney Jake and the Never Land Pirates sku 130060

Nexus 7 Travel Cover - Dark Grey sku 810502

Google Nexus 7 Screen Protector sku 884253

Asus Transformer Pad TF300 Screen Protector sku 884252

PS3 Dual Pack Triggers sku 800601

Nexus 7 Travel Cover - Light Grey sku 810503

LeapFrog Explorer Learning Game: Mr. Pencil Saves Doodleburg sku 130069

iPod(R) touch Breeze Case - Blue/Black sku 810259

Leapfrog App Card sku 106701

LeapFrog Explorer Learning Game: Crayola Art Adventure sku 130070

bread's done
Back