Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont remember if it was mentioned but donkey kong country tropical freeze .02 at TRU.

It also looked like a bunch were removed from my local store. The game guide stock hasn't changed much in the past couple months but seems more bare now. The store tags were also removed so I am not sure what was there before.

Thanks for the update on dk tropical freeze. The only tru near me that has it keeps it behind glass so I couldn't check the price. Hopefully it's still there tomorrow.
I dont remember if it was mentioned but donkey kong country tropical freeze .02 at TRU.
It also looked like a bunch were removed from my local store. The game guide stock hasn't changed much in the past couple months but seems more bare now. The store tags were also removed so I am not sure what was there before.

Thanks for the update on dk tropical freeze. The only tru near me that has it keeps it behind glass so I couldn't check the price. Hopefully it's still there tomorrow.
the dk tropical freeze guide was no longer behind the glass at tru. Some of the guides also look like they were rearranged. I'm guessing they removed the, like they were supposed to. I will need confirmation but I thought this store had a windwaker hd guide too but it was not on the shelf anymore. A possible pennied guide

the dk tropical freeze guide was no longer behind the glass at tru. Some of the guides also look like they were rearranged. I'm guessing they removed the, like they were supposed to. I will need confirmation but I thought this store had a windwaker hd guide too but it was not on the shelf anymore. A possible pennied guide
Can confirm that Donkey Kong tropical freeze was .02, I remember seeing wind waker guides a few weeks back, they had quite a few. Donkey Kong guide was behind the Mario Kart 8 guides so Im guessing they pulled them and didnt check behind ones. Cashier offered to pay my two pennies. She asked if there were more back there, which there wasnt, her reply was "good, they are supposed to pull them." Im a bit bummed would have loved a wind waker guide, but at least I got something. Good luck everyone.

$.02 Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Don't get me started on TRU. I was on vacation in another state last month and drove past one with my girlfriend. We stopped in and I was looking around and noticed they had literally every 2 cent guide imaginable. I got super excited and grabbed some Pikmin and Zelda guides. We got up to the register and at this point I had about 5 guides total (didn't want to go too crazy) and a couple amiibo. The ladies at the register started whispering to each other while they were ringing up other customers staring dead at me. We get to the counter and she scans the first guide, it rings up 2 cents and she rudely yells "WE CAN'T SELL YOU ANY OF THESE." I ask why and they can't even give me a straight answer. I feel bad for my girlfriend because this whole situation is embarrassing the hell out of her because she's completely oblivious to what is going on. Then the lady makes a huge deal about it "if you buy these you're stealing from the store, I'm calling my LP manager up here." I told her it's fine, I just wanted a straight answer and not some bullshit. I told them to keep the amiibo I didn't want them. I went back 5 days later on the last day we were there and EVERY SINGLE GUIDE I had left there was sitting on the fucking shelf still.........

I bet they're all still there. Both of my TRU are super on top of it now so while I'd love to have a Wind Waker guide, it won't happen.

I bet they're all still there. Both of my TRU are super on top of it now so while I'd love to have a Wind Waker guide, it won't happen.
Mine too. I'm pretty sure there must've been some mention of this in their meetings. I've never seen their guides section so organized and sterile. Damn it! Damn it all to hell!!!

Grabbed a windwaker hd at tru. The cashier told me the guide was recalled and asked if there were any more back there. She gave it to me any ways. I also bought some bogo crayola crayons to not arouse suspicion.

Found the Windwaker HD guide at TRU for $0.02. The Super Mario 3D World mini-guide is also $0.02 (not sure if that one was already mentioned).

I think TRU is cracking down some.  I went to 8 stores in the past week, all of which I found *something* at last go around, even months later in some, and there was nothing.

Gamestop: 9/9

Dragon Age Inquisition

Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor Edition

Assassin's Creed Unity

Assassin's Creed Unity Initiate Edition

Battlefield Hardline

EverQuest I and II & Planetside 30 Day Time Card

SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate

Reusable Bag, Go Green

Reusable Bag, Infinite Lives

Add Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor.

Dragon Age Inquisition Official Strategy Guide Inquisitor Edition

El Camino North - Gamestop 2535 Vista Way Ste Cv Oceanside, CA 92054

Assassin's Creed Unity Initiate Official Strategy Guide

Cypress Center - Gamestop 6863 Katella Ave Ste 105 Cypress, CA 90630

Add Dragon Age Inquisition Inquisitor.

Dragon Age Inquisition Official Strategy Guide Inquisitor Edition

El Camino North - Gamestop 2535 Vista Way Ste Cv Oceanside, CA 92054

Assassin's Creed Unity Initiate Official Strategy Guide

Cypress Center - Gamestop 6863 Katella Ave Ste 105 Cypress, CA 90630
Thanks. I never found it on the store checker, so I couldn't verify one way or the other.

I'm 2/4 so far on hold requests.

Talked to the manager of my local Gamestop about penny guides and he said "I usually just give them away". I should really go the day of a drop at GS and head over there and see if he will give them to me. Keep me updated on the next drop and I will let you guys know if I pick any up.

Has anyone noticed the guide section disappearing at Best Buy? I noticed a couple stores over the last few weeks that they are completely gone. One store still had a stack of maybe 40 guides on a bottom shelf... but it was not the display they used to have with maybe 100-200 at each store. 

My local Best Buy guide sections have gotten much smaller in the last year or so but who knows, they may be totally gone by now.  Can't really say I'll miss them since they did away with penny guides a few years ago.

:pc: Red Faction Armageddon pennied

:pc: Mass Effect 3

:pc: Spiderwick Chronicles

Sonic Greeting Card

Universal Tablet AC adapter

Some Skylanders Giants 3 Pack

:pc: Xcom Enemy Within

65 items in total

Batman: Arkham Origins Limited Edition Strategy Guide(Hardcover) $4.15 Free Prime Shipping
not a penny guide, but still a good price. The Dust cover could be used as a small poster, and the 4 litho's are pretty cool.

my son's friend was raving about the Deathstroke one, so I spent the $4 and just bought him the whole book. Used the slow shipping for $1 video credit too.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I snagged one.

Batman: Arkham Origins Limited Edition Strategy Guide(Hardcover) $4.15 Free Prime Shipping

not a penny guide, but still a good price. The Dust cover could be used as a small poster, and the 4 litho's are pretty cool.

my son's friend was raving about the Deathstroke one, so I spent the $4 and just bought him the whole book. Used the slow shipping for $1 video credit too.
Nice find. I'm almost confident I already own this though... but I honestly can't remember.

bread's done
Back