Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vigilante']...Not that I'm necessarily blaming you, but someone posted all that on Slickdeals, including the in-store pickup option: http://slickdeals.net/f/5763676-Gam...ess-Others-StorePickup-Upon-Availability-ONLY

:wall: I think I'm starting to regret saying anything.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I loath SD. Worst website on the web, I wish it didn't exist. I cannot think of one good thing about it, it's a disease that ruins everything it touches.

3 requests for in-store pick-up, 3 rejections. One store actually called me and told me that the KoA guides were thrown out yesterday, otherwise she could probably have just given me one.

One store tossed them last night, another store was a score for me. Got one of everything but Reckoning since I already owned it.

Put three hold requests in, Transformers, REORC at once store, and KoA CE at another.

Got am email rather fast that FoC and REORC were ready. Went there and the assistant manager scanned em and looked none to happy, but sold them to me. I saw two Archives Vol 2 but I have it already and did not want to press my luck.

When I got home the 2nd store said it was ready for KoA. Went there and got it for a penny, the cashier was nice, didn't bat an eye and I decided to pre-order Ni No Kuni with the hopes of getting the steelbook.

This was my first true success at GS ever. Glad I tried.

[quote name='kobeisgod']Does getting email confirmation that it's on hold doesn't mean GS will honor it?[/QUOTE]Placing an item on hold doesn't require scanning it to check its price, so it's possible that when you go to pick it up, the employee will refuse to sell you the guide after scanning it and seeing the pennied price.

Thanks to Vigilante for the updated drop snd pooky for reminding me they were open was able to get all of them except COD MW3 which they said sold like hot cakes during the holidays (guessing due to the $5 price) at my local very happy :)

Hate that the guide are in the back now an not on the shelves! I think it best to pick up order. I went out and was unsuccessful eventhoguh it avaliable the employee always say they dont have it.

Thanks OP-
Just came back from picking up Transformers: FOC, CODMW3, & KOA after placing a hold on them early this morning and receiving a confirmation within the hour. Walked into the store literally with .03 in my pocket. Told the guy about my hold, he scanned them, and his eyes got BIG and was dumbfounded when he told me my total was .03, and I opened my hand with the pennies, smiled, and all was well. LOL
His colleague he was working with also seemed shocked, and while I was walking out of the store I heard the guy that rang me up say they were "supposed to do something else with those".
( Tempe, AZ Gamestop on Elliot Rd for my fellow Arizonians )

sucks! pickup@store button for kingdoms of amalur guide has been disabled in the gamestop website. oh well. i guess i missed out on this again.

Grabbed a COD: MW3 guide and got the cover ripped off after the employee told me he couldn't sell it to me but could give it to me in that condition. I've read it happening before but never experienced it :whistle2:#

I'm getting really sick of Gamestop not selling us pennied guides. It's hard enough finding one and getting it in my hands, but even after that, it's a fight to get those bastards to sell it to me for a penny.

I went to three stores today and they said they ripped them all off... what a waste of trip and why would they do such a thing?! If I was an employee there I would so keep them.

[quote name='TommyLove']I went to three stores today and they said they ripped them all off... what a waste of trip and why would they do such a thing?! If I was an employee there I would so keep them.[/QUOTE]

They are doing what the publisher told them to do.

[quote name='Fukurou']I'm getting really sick of Gamestop not selling us pennied guides. It's hard enough finding one and getting it in my hands, but even after that, it's a fight to get those bastards to sell it to me for a penny.[/QUOTE]

Wow dude, they're not obligated to sell them. It has always been considered a nice treat to get one. You're sounding a bit entitled.
People doing their jobs are not bastards, even if they work for a terrible company.

Got an Amalur guide using the website instore-pickup function after a few tries. Got lucky, though, because it appears it was a mistake by the employee who'd actually meant to decline the pickup. Thanks to a magnanimous (and attractive) associate/manager, I was able to get it intact. I think this is my first penny guide; cheers to the CAGs who alerted us and advised on strategy.

[quote name='warboss zorbag']Wow dude, they're not obligated to sell them. It has always been considered a nice treat to get one. You're sounding a bit entitled.
People doing their jobs are not bastards, even if they work for a terrible company.[/QUOTE]
If they were merely doing their job, I wouldn't have a problem. What I have a problem with is them destroying those guides. They're useful, and by destroying them, all their doing is making more waste in landfills. I'm not joking, my main problem is what happens to the guides.

Destroying the guide is part of their job. What don't you get about that?

Publishers themselves require the guides to be destroyed, proof to be sent to them (usually the front cover), and then the company is given a credit to use on future purchase from publisher.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Destroying the guide is part of their job. What don't you get about that?

Publishers themselves require the guides to be destroyed, proof to be sent to them (usually the front cover), and then the company is given a credit to use on future purchase from publisher.[/QUOTE]
I get that. But that doesn't matter. It's still a waste. You're destroying something that somebody can use. Gamestop does this so that they get refunded on the money they spent on the guides. They're doing this solely because of their own greed. They buy something, can't sell it, so they say "oop, too bad, let's get our money back."

Not to mention, that money doesn't fall from the sky. The get it from the publishers. Which means the people who make guides lose money to Gamestop. If this keeps up, publishers might stop making guides. That isn't good. When we buy pennied guides we are doing three good things. Getting a cheap guide. Taking money from a corrupt company. Giving money to publishers. Get it?

[quote name='Fukurou']I get that. But that doesn't matter. It's still a waste. You're destroying something that somebody can use. Gamestop does this so that they get refunded on the money they spent on the guides. They're doing this solely because of their own greed. They buy something, can't sell it, so they say "oop, too bad, let's get our money back."

Not to mention, that money doesn't fall from the sky. The get it from the publishers. Which means the people who make guides lose money to Gamestop. If this keeps up, publishers might stop making guides. That isn't good. When we buy pennied guides we are doing three good things. Getting a cheap guide. Taking money from a corrupt company. Giving money to publishers. Get it?[/QUOTE]

No..I don't think you get it...

Why is it OK for you to return something that you don't need and not GameStop? You could donate it and/or give it away. Why return it???? And publishers prefer it this way because it keeps their guides at a higher value.

If stores sold them for a penny when the time came no one would buy guides when they came out. They would wait for a penny and buy every single copy.

You are looking at it from a buyer perspective and that is one of three sides.

I place store pick ups for both RE guides. My local store "didint" have them but my 2nd choice had both. No ripped covers. Yeah!

[quote name='Fukurou']I get that. But that doesn't matter. It's still a waste. You're destroying something that somebody can use. Gamestop does this so that they get refunded on the money they spent on the guides. They're doing this solely because of their own greed. They buy something, can't sell it, so they say "oop, too bad, let's get our money back."

Not to mention, that money doesn't fall from the sky. The get it from the publishers. Which means the people who make guides lose money to Gamestop. If this keeps up, publishers might stop making guides. That isn't good. When we buy pennied guides we are doing three good things. Getting a cheap guide. Taking money from a corrupt company. Giving money to publishers. Get it?[/QUOTE]

As someone who's managed the print section of a media store... nope.

Publishers WANT and REQUIRE the publications to be destroyed.
Some even want the covers removed and sent back to them. Fewer still want the whole magazine sent back.

We were not allowed to sell them (though I would give them away to any employees that wanted them).
Getting this stuff is always YMMV and a good deal.

Let me also state that I do not like the fact that this happens. I wish publishers didn't care. I wish penny guides were a well kept secret, but one that was easy to obtain if you were on top of the ball.

But alas that is not the situation, I accept it and understand it. I don't like it, but that doesn't matter. It's not my product to control.

This happen regularly at every book store across the country. This is how publishing works. It is just that gamestop isn't as good at doing what they are suppose to do.

Well, if that's how you feel, you won't get very far in Gamestop or Best Buy. Saying "their stores their rules" is exactly how trash like Gamestop was made. Gamestop feeds on that nonchalant attitude. Not to mention, I'm not doing anything wrong by getting pennied guides. If I was altering the price myself, either by hacking the system or by putting a new UPC on it, then yeah, that's wrong. But Gamestop is the one pennying it out. It's not even a mistake, or it would have gotten fixed a long time ago.

[quote name='Fukurou']Well, if that's how you feel, you won't get very far in Gamestop or Best Buy. Saying "their stores their rules" is exactly how trash like Gamestop was made. Gamestop feeds on that nonchalant attitude. Not to mention, I'm not doing anything wrong by getting pennied guides. If I was altering the price myself, either by hacking the system or by putting a new UPC on it, then yeah, that's wrong. But Gamestop is the one pennying it out. It's not even a mistake, or it would have gotten fixed a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Who are you talking to now?

[quote name='dallow']Who are you talking to now?[/QUOTE]
Should have quoted. That was directed at Saix, but it applies to everyone.

[quote name='Fukurou']Well, if that's how you feel, you won't get very far in Gamestop or Best Buy. Saying "their stores their rules" is exactly how trash like Gamestop was made. Gamestop feeds on that nonchalant attitude. Not to mention, I'm not doing anything wrong by getting pennied guides. If I was altering the price myself, either by hacking the system or by putting a new UPC on it, then yeah, that's wrong. But Gamestop is the one pennying it out. It's not even a mistake, or it would have gotten fixed a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I do not want to turn this into a debate on who gets what and where, I am not out to make this personal in any way. It is their stores and it is their rules. Don't like them? Fair enough, speak up and talk to the COMPANY. Nothing will get fixed by moaning on a forum. Also, no one stated you were doing anything wrong, defensive much? GameStop makes them a penny to identify the guides/games/items that need to be destroyed.

They are not the only store that does this, Best Buy does it as well as perhaps other stores. And it was fixed a long time ago...THEY DON'T SELL THEM! Some stores/employees just don't care or want to be nice once and a while.

[quote name='dallow']Who are you talking to now?[/QUOTE]

The unicorns in lollypopland. He clearly has no idea how things work on Planet Erf.

This is probably how this post looks if we could see it in person.

tumblr_lpa01cNkle1qmkpueo1_400.gif

[quote name='neocisco']This is probably how this post looks if we could see it in person.

tumblr_lpa01cNkle1qmkpueo1_400.gif
[/QUOTE]
Okay. Have anything useful to add?

Was able to get KoA for free. Reserved it yesterday and picked it up today. Mgr tried to sell it to me for 50% off. Said I only ordered it because it was a penny on the website. Told that they'd have to toss it since they are not to sell pennied guides. I said, "toss it. Not paying $13 for it." They just gave it to me.

Lol@ neocisco.
Exactly.

I like the whole blaming Gamestop for their greed and then justifying ones entitlement and greed by citing their caring for the environment and not wanting landfills to fill up.

Good job! Rescue the earths landfills from those stacks of penny guides. Lol, you environmental warrior you. Lordy...

I to miss the days of penny guides running rampant, but there's still the occasional find.
Going to try and hunt a cheap Dark Souls after work today.

I went to one of the two stores in my area that had the KoA guide in stock and lucked out. I asked the guy and he told me that it had "dropped" but that he would check for me. He went in the back and came out with a sealed copy. He scanned it to make sure it pennied and let me have it for free. I acted dumb and thanked him.

Went to a local GS to pick up a copy of RE6 for $4.99... Asked about RE Archives, but he said they did not have that. He said he thought they had a RE:ORC in the back. He went and got me one and gave it to me for free...

Heading to store that confirmed in-store pickup on the way home tonight. Hopefully will be able to get it - prob will look for RE6 and Soul Calibur 5 too while im there.

First success story at a GS in a long time. They had my KoA guide and gave it to me. I asked about looking through their normal priced guides since it was 50% off, so the guy let me in the back to check. He pointed out RE: ORC guide and said it was a penny and gave that to me as well. Grabbed RE6 and Soul Calibur V too, so $7.50 is a nice deal for all 4 of those. I'll have to fill out the survey on the receipt for that dude

The employee at my GS looked up the MW3 guide, and whispered "damn, that's cheap..." to himself and he denied me from getting one. He stumbled over his words, at first saying, "we don't have any", then, "they're not available". Whatever, just gave up and got my ME3/RE6 guides.

I wonder why when you do an in-store pickup that the system shown in the confirmation email has the wrong system. I noticed that the KoA guide said Playstation 2. I just did one for Dark Souls and it says Dreamcast, lol.

As I was worried about they said they didn't have the two guides I ordered even w/ my email showing they were supposed to be held. they mentioned something about not being able to sell them anyways. Not a big deal but a wasted trip does piss me off

yeah found a game of thrones and amalur, rang up as a penny, then he said he couldnt sell them to me. oh well, i got big skyrim expanded guide and it went down $5 off, then 11 off, then 1 off so 27 down to 10 thats good for me. max payne 3 guide was gone tho. also got resident evil 6 guide for 4.50.

bread's done
Back