Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost got SC2 HOTS CE guide while I was trading in some games but was denied at the very last minute by the manager.

Wish I coulda got it but its all good I know they aren't supposed to be selling/giving them away after they drop to 1c.

I left the dishonored guide on the rack and might try another day with different works hah.

thats right nixmahn. walked up and asked if he would price check it. came up a penny. then he rung it up another way and it came up "not for sale" and then he punched in the number on the yellow sticker which also came up "not for sale". figured 2 out of 3 options was going to shut me down in the long run anyway, and i actually have the guide from the initial price drop a few months back (different bb, dood gave it to me for free though).

i was just shocked that it sat there for so damn long as a penny guide.

Struck out on DMC and Tomb Raider

But ended up with

Aliens CM
Crysis 3
GOW Judgement
COD BO II x 2
Fuse x 2
Resident Evil 6 x 2
Max Payne 3 x 2
WOW Mist of Pandaria x 2

Putting most up to trade after the kids decide what they don't want

Struck out on DMC and Tomb Raider

But ended up with

Aliens CM
Crysis 3
GOW Judgement
COD BO II x 2
Fuse x 2
Resident Evil 6 x 2
Max Payne 3 x 2
WOW Mist of Pandaria x 2

Putting most up to trade after the kids decide what they don't want
Is the WoW one softcover or hardcover?

thats right nixmahn. walked up and asked if he would price check it. came up a penny. then he rung it up another way and it came up "not for sale" and then he punched in the number on the yellow sticker which also came up "not for sale". figured 2 out of 3 options was going to shut me down in the long run anyway, and i actually have the guide from the initial price drop a few months back (different bb, dood gave it to me for free though).

i was just shocked that it sat there for so damn long as a penny guide.
Up to a certain drop they will ring up as a penny when the price is checked. But when they are rung up to sell, they will say "not available for sale."

Does anyone know what BB drop was the last one to ring up normally as a penny? (ie. not as "not available for sale")

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is a penny at TRU
Yeah, I mentioned that a couple weeks ago. The OP was just never updated.

Here's the post I meant to write out earlier, but was on my phone:

I picked up a RE6 today. The girl mentioned that some pennied earlier in the week, but the employees grabbed them to take home.

I asked if she could check if there were any in the back, and she said sure and went back and found a tomb raider and gave it to me.

The difference from store to store in attitude is amazing. For not just pennied guides/items but even the $.02 PS2 games.

Some stores have people that are tightasses and if you go to buy one "OMG we have to destroy that", some will just say "it's your lucky day" and give it to you, and some others will just sell it to you.

Same with the PS2 games, except some thank you for getting them all.

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple weeks ago. The OP was just never updated.

Here's the post I meant to write out earlier, but was on my phone:

I picked up a RE6 today. The girl mentioned that some pennied earlier in the week, but the employees grabbed them to take home.

I asked if she could check if there were any in the back, and she said sure and went back and found a tomb raider and gave it to me.

The difference from store to store in attitude is amazing. For not just pennied guides/items but even the $.02 PS2 games.

Some stores have people that are tightasses and if you go to buy one "OMG we have to destroy that", some will just say "it's your lucky day" and give it to you, and some others will just sell it to you.

Same with the PS2 games, except some thank you for getting them all.
This.

I go to a GS where an old room mate used to work and some of the guys there remember me. Whenever I try and get penny guides they just give them to me and are really nice about it. There are three other GS's in the area and they all get really uppity when I try and get penny guides saying they can't sell them and then try and get me to pre-order something, so it's usually not worth the hassle.

On that note, went to my favorite store and walked out with a Dishonored guide. Thanks OP!

GS is NOT supposed to sell you .01 guides so when they say they can't it's legitimate.  Every time you do get a .01 guide you're getting lucky since it's against policy.

GS is NOT supposed to sell you .01 guides so when they say they can't it's legitimate. Every time you do get a .01 guide you're getting lucky since it's against policy.
This.

I was just commenting on the different attitudes at different stores. (even in the same district)

I just noticed something on the PUR site. I bought MW3 used and a RE6 guide two days ago. I got 319 PUR points.

$13.5 for MW3 should be 270 points base + 27(10%) for PUR pro. So 297. Which means I got 22 points for the $.01 I spent on the guide. It seems that the penny guides are similar to the $.02 PS2 games in giving mega PUR points for purchases of them. (1100/$1 for the $.02 PS2 games for sure, and apparently 2200/$1 for $.01 guides)

I guess my stores go by the book cause I've never found a penny guide. Even if its listed it either won't ring up differently or it's been pulled and I can't find it even if I know there was some there a couple days ago.

Had to go into Manhattan yesterday for work, checked the GS right there and left with

Aliens CM x 2
Fuse x 2
RE 6 x 2
COD BO II x 2
GOWJ x 2
WOW MOP x 2
DmC
Dishonored x 2
Starcraft II HotS HC x 2
Tomb Raider sealed with DC x 3

Most will be up for trade

Scored a Tomb Raider CE at my local GameStop today. When it scanned he said, " Oh, I am not supposed to sell this but here have it anyway because I am just going to have to throw it away."

Scored a Tomb Raider CE at my local GameStop today. When it scanned he said, " Oh, I am not supposed to sell this but here have it anyway because I am just going to have to throw it away."
Totally jealous. I actually need this book. I own every exclusive for this game, just missing the guide.

Care to trade?

GS is NOT supposed to sell you .01 guides so when they say they can't it's legitimate. Every time you do get a .01 guide you're getting lucky since it's against policy.
GS is also NOT supposed to be a douchebag company that tries very hard to force you to preorder and sign up for their crappy membership, sell used games as new, and put filthy stickers on their game cases. But hey, they do.

GS is also NOT supposed to be a douchebag company that tries very hard to force you to preorder and sign up for their crappy membership, sell used games as new, and put filthy stickers on their game cases. But hey, they do.
its THEIR bussiness and they make THEIR OWN policys. you arent entitled to their guides so just let it go. people crying over a book they will barley look at anyway, goodness smh

There it is, I was wondering where that sense of entitlement had gone off to.

its THEIR bussiness and they make THEIR OWN policys. you arent entitled to their guides so just let it go. people crying over a book they will barley look at anyway, goodness smh
Their store, their rules, huh? No, that's not how it works anymore. The customer makes the rules now. The store either likes it, or the customer stops shopping there. Enough customers do that, the store goes under.

There it is, I was wondering where that sense of entitlement had gone off to.
I'm not entitled to pennied guides. But I am entitled to being treated like a human and not like a wallet when I go into the store. But since I am treated like a wallet, I think getting some free guides in exchange for it is a fair trade. Problem? Then live with it.

That's right, I forgot, the sense of entitlement was left next to the big pile of rationalization.

When they ask you if you want to preorder, just put on your big boy pants and tell them you're not interested.  Since you know they're going to do this, how about you try following your own advice and stop shopping there.  Oh wait, that would remove the justification (in your mind) of being able to complain about not getting guides for a penny.  What to do, what to do?

That's right, I forgot, the sense of entitlement was left next to the big pile of rationalization.

When they ask you if you want to preorder, just put on your big boy pants and tell them you're not interested.  Since you know they're going to do this, how about you try following your own advice and stop shopping there.  Oh wait, that would remove the justification (in your mind) of being able to complain about not getting guides for a penny.  What to do, what to do?
Actually in some cases offering to pre-order something can help grease the wheels a bit with some Gamestop employees.

Of course, some of the folks who whine about stores not selling them guides for a penny are fair weather customers who only go into stores for a deal or to try snapping up stuff they're not supposed to be sold in the first place like penny guides.

Their store, their rules, huh? No, that's not how it works anymore. The customer makes the rules now. The store either likes it, or the customer stops shopping there. Enough customers do that, the store goes under.
Yeah, but the customer continues to support GameStop with viable alternatives actually shrinking instead of growing - meanwhile GameStop employees are getting more aggressive with the salesman behavior and the stores are becoming less friendly anyways. So customers are kinda doing a crappy job of rule making and I don't exactly see a sea change on the horizon if it hasn't happened after all these years.

Looking forward to it if/when it happens though. I do have to agree with the others that have stated that the companies are within their rights to adamantly deny penny guide sales. It's an agreement they made with the publishers to destroy them, for them that should certainly override our desire to get nearly free shit.

Of course, some of the folks who whine about stores not selling them guides for a penny are fair weather customers who only go into stores for a deal or to try snapping up stuff they're not supposed to be sold in the first place like penny guides.
this is what some might call ironical.

I'm not entitled to pennied guides. But I am entitled to being treated like a human and not like a wallet when I go into the store. But since I am treated like a wallet, I think getting some free guides in exchange for it is a fair trade. Problem? Then live with it.
1. You sound awfully entitled to me. 2. You are a wallet. Get over it.

You're not going to sway anyone in this thread that you're supposed to get penny guides. People in this thread who have been here through thick and thin understand how awesome it is to get a penny guide. We look at it as a good blessing, not as "I deserved to get that guide!" and then justify with all sorts of reasons that don't make sense. Which is why you fail.

this is what some might call ironical.

1. You sound awfully entitled to me. 2. You are a wallet. Get over it.

You're not going to sway anyone in this thread that you're supposed to get penny guides. People in this thread who have been here through thick and thin understand how awesome it is to get a penny guide. We look at it as a good blessing, not as "I deserved to get that guide!" Which is why you fail.
Confoosious, Confoosious, Confoosious... What am I going to do with you? I don't put anyone on my ignore list. At least not here. Because I know that no matter how much of a PITA they are, they might have some knowledge about a good deal. However, I don't think you are one of those kinds of people. Every post I've read that you've made has you doing nothing but criticizing other people and shilling for these companies. Have you posted one single deal here in your eon-seemingly long time here? Know this asshat. Do you really think that a multi-kajillion dollar entity needs someone as Confoosed as you defending them? They've got their money, their lawyers, and their solid gold toilet to defend them. So you just look like an idiot and you make everyone want to hate you when you stand up and fight for these guys who swim in money.

One last thing. I am NOT a wallet. I am a person. And i o u a beatin

The only thing that irks me about gamestop is the 'new' games that are not factory sealed. I personally feel that is fraudulent. Maybe not in the terms of the law, but I consider it deceptive/wrong. Meanwhile Amazon is thinking about not letting resellers sell factory sealed items as 'new', if they were not bought through a distributor.

I saw there was activity in this thread so I came back after such a long absence. I haven't gotten a penny guide since that asshole cried to the publishers about Best Buy not giving him guides. After seeing the last couple posts, it seems like I'm not the only one not scoring guides anymore  :cry:

So you just look like an idiot and you make everyone want to hate you when you stand up and fight for these guys who swim in money.
Wait....Best Buy and/or Gamestop is owned by Scrooge McDuck?

The only thing that irks me about gamestop is the 'new' games that are not factory sealed. I personally feel that is fraudulent. Maybe not in the terms of the law, but I consider it deceptive/wrong. Meanwhile Amazon is thinking about not letting resellers sell factory sealed items as 'new', if they were not bought through a distributor.
If they told you it is not sealed you have the option to not buy it. It is only a problem when their website sold you a new game that is not sealed.

Got a GoW Judgement CE today.  Rather ironic that they came out with a CE guide, but not a CE game.

Anyone know if the DLC code is worth anything these days?

Last one I got was dragon age 2 and that's just because there was a shelf sticker saying .01 so the manager said just take it even though it refused to be rung up by the bb system.

If they told you it is not sealed you have the option to not buy it.  It is only a problem when their website sold you a new game that is not sealed.
Try this experiment. Buy a sealed game from Gamestop, one that you know you want to keep anyway.

Open it in front of them. Then say you want to return it because you decided you don't want it. See what they say. I'd bet good money they would say 'once it's opened it's considered used but you can trade it in if you want' and would deny the return on the spot.

That's the thing that I think irks many of us about the newsed copies of games from Gamestop is that to most people something new is considered unused and in the case of games many of us considered sealed games the only way to be truly new.

Did the post that you quoted get deleted? If so, that's too bad. That seemed like it would have had a lot more win that I could have had fun responding to. I enjoy giving the occasional smackdown to idiots like that guy.
Indeed, 'tis a shame my post was deleted. However, I am no idiot. Ask anyone, the only idiot around is one who feels the need to defend a multibillion dollar company. It's like nailing a wooden board to a dam to help keep it from being breached.

Indeed, 'tis a shame my post was deleted. However, I am no idiot. Ask anyone, the only idiot around is one who feels the need to defend a multibillion dollar company. It's like nailing a wooden board to a dam to help keep it from being breached.
Who's defending Gamestop? I hope you have enough sense to realize it's not me,wallet, but I have my doubts. However, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned tirade against a corporate entity. Y'know, the one you said where the customers make the rules? It's real simple, so simple even a wallet can understand it. If you don't like their business practices DON'T SHOP THERE. That's it, that's all. You can comprehend that, can't you, wallet? Oh, by the way, your analogy was awful.

Who's defending Gamestop? I hope you have enough sense to realize it's not me,wallet, but I have my doubts. However, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned tirade against a corporate entity. Y'know, the one you said where the customers make the rules? It's real simple, so simple even a wallet can understand it. If you don't like their business practices DON'T SHOP THERE. That's it, that's all. You can comprehend that, can't you, wallet? Oh, by the way, your analogy was awful.
So I say I'm not a wallet, and you try to make fun of me by repeatedly calling me a wallet. Reminds me of high school. Guess we now know how old you are, Mr 15-year old. And since I don't have the time to listen to the drunken ramblings of a brat who's just hit puberty, welcome to the ignore list. Enjoy your stay.

bread's done
Back