Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
:whee:    DROP DAY... DROP DAY... DROP DAY!!    :whee:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider hardcover CE

Assassin's Creed odyssey hardcover CE

...and the holy grail if you find it... Assassin's Creed odyssey platinum edition guide!

:whee: DROP DAY... DROP DAY... DROP DAY!! :whee:

...and the holy grail if you find it... Assassin's Creed odyssey platinum edition guide!
If your going for it try these stores, this info is good as of 1/31 last night

7972 belair rd

nottingham, md 21236

1752 lincoln way E, ste 2

chambersburg, pa 17202

753 middletown warwick rd

middletown, de 19703

I got the last one at tysons cormer mall VA a few hours ago

If your going for it try these stores, this info is good as of 1/31 last night

7972 belair rd
nottingham, md 21236

1752 lincoln way E, ste 2
chambersburg, pa 17202

753 middletown warwick rd
middletown, de 19703

I got the last one at tysons cormer mall VA a few hours ago
Were these the only three stores who showed stock? I’m not sure this edition was ever sold in stores. Had a feeling they were online returns.

Were these the only three stores who showed stock? I’m not sure this edition was ever sold in stores. Had a feeling they were online returns.
those stores are within 100 miles of the store that I asked a GS employee to check for stock (yes they can actually do that, wiether they are willing to for a pennied item is iffy, the accuracy goes down as time goes by b/c they eventually disappear from stores and accurate inventory not kept up for pennied items) luckily, Tysons mall was near to me and got it after work (last time, I had to make a 40 mile round trip to the closest with stock for the Witcher 3 complete LE).

And its sold in store alright............... for a penny. The employees where I picked it up didn't even know what was nor that it was pennied b/c they are not used to having a guide in a box/package like the platinum edition. Only 1 employee knew what it was and only b/c he actually bought the 1 of 2 copies they had before it was pennied. I of course got the 2nd/last copy last night.

also,its kinda meh, nothing special

those stores are within 100 miles of the store that I asked a GS employee to check for stock (yes they can actually do that, wiether they are willing to for a pennied item is iffy, the accuracy goes down as time goes by b/c they eventually disappear from stores and accurate inventory not kept up for pennied items) luckily, Tysons mall was near to me and got it after work (last time, I had to make a 40 mile round trip to the closest with stock for the Witcher 3 complete LE).

And its sold in store alright............... for a penny. The employees where I picked it up didn't even know what was nor that it was pennied b/c they are not used to having a guide in a box/package like the platinum edition. Only 1 employee knew what it was and only b/c he actually bought the 1 of 2 copies they had before it was pennied. I of course got the 2nd/last copy last night.

also,its kinda meh, nothing special

I bought it for $64 from amazon when it first came out. Funny thing is I got the game early on and hated the new design, since you aren't an assassin particularly. Never even opened my guide I bought.

Sorry if I'm late to the party (since this is old news), but I just found out today.   

I didn't know Prima Games (strategy guide publisher) is gonna close down, sometime this year.  I wonder if they will keep their site up, since I redeemed a lot of their digital guides.  

I guess with the advent of the Internet, a lot of information today is easily accessible for free, and I suppose their business went up in a puff of smoke.

Sorry if I'm late to the party (since this is old news), but I just found out today.

I didn't know Prima Games (strategy guide publisher) is gonna close down, sometime this year. I wonder if they will keep their site up, since I redeemed a lot of their digital guides.

I guess with the advent of the Internet, a lot of information today is easily accessible for free, and I suppose their business went up in a puff of smoke.

I believe it’s a few thongs. One, the guides doubled in cost over the past decasde. They used to be $15 then $20 for a CE. Kept creeping tp $40 MSRP and $100 editions. The biggest killer I found is bugs and patches. So many games have day one patches, some games play entirely differently even one to two months post launch. There is no way to keep accurate info in them in todays ‘rush games, patch later’ world.

Sold out that fast. I think word spread quickly once Future Press tweeted out that Fangamer had some old inventory online. I was hoping for Bayonetta but alas

Anyone current or former employee can confirm if it's true stores can see a list of drops on Tuesday nights before closing? I've had one store's new manager tell me this, when I know Tuesday's are NOT drop days. Just would like to confirm it's BS.

Anyone current or former employee can confirm if it's true stores can see a list of drops on Tuesday nights before closing? I've had one store's new manager tell me this, when I know Tuesday's are NOT drop days. Just would like to confirm it's BS.
What is the likelihood of drops continuing on Wednesdays when the ad just changed to Sunday through Saturday?

Thanks for the drops CAGs. I picked up shadow tomb raider, assassin creed Odyssey, fallout 76 guides!!!

Edit: my mistake, it was a fallout 4 goty guide.

Wasn’t aware fallout 76 softcover dropped though I don’t track those types of guides, only hardcovers. There’s only a few more left now since prima is officially dead. =(

The fallout platinum guide is not sold in stores so no chance of getting that ‘at a reduced price’ unless someone orders online for store pick up then cancels it.

It was a stealth change. Employees could see the drops the night before price change because they print the new labels after close. I imagine it will be the same process with the new ad change.
I’ll keep an eye out the Wednesday just in case. I wonder if Sunday is the new drop day now. I hope it isn’t though we won’t have much longer until either GameStop doesn’t carry guides or they’ve gone under.

at least a couple mugs and card decks pennied

recent

1x deadpool holiday

2x Star Wars, 1 is Rogue one all black, other is mostly black was well I think (did not get a very good look)

old drop - classic christmas stop motion themed and christmas movies card decks

elf w/ will ferrell

frosty the snowman

rudolf the rednosed reindeer

probably others

if your all wondering, I have a gamestop near by that puts all of the pennied items into a survey box (get a free item if you bring proof you did a survey on the receipt). I usually check that one out before I make my rounds to the other GS near by to see what I can pick up for free :)

recent
1x deadpool holiday
2x Star Wars, 1 is Rogue one all black, other is mostly black was well I think (did not get a very good look)

elf w/ will ferrell
frosty the snowman
probably others

if your all wondering, I have a gamestop near by that puts all of the pennied items into a survey box (get a free item if you bring proof you did a survey on the receipt). I usually check that one out before I make my rounds to the other GS near by to see what I can pick up for free :)
Pretty smart move by that store mgmt: boost store rating and not having to destroy these stuff, win -win for everybody.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

recent

1x deadpool holiday

elf w/ will ferrell

frosty the snowman

probably others

I've never tracked trinket items before, just CE guides really. What did the mug look like?

I've never tracked trinket items before, just CE guides really. What did the mug look like?
Deadpool torso in the spoon position wearing a Santa hat. Upon further reflection, except for the Star Wars mugs, almost everything pennied was Christmas themed I think. Pennied, there was a bunch of:

christmas ornaments

Card decks also included:

Looney Tunes Christmas

Charley Brown Christmas, probably the special

Deadpool torso in the spoon position wearing a Santa hat. Upon further reflection, except for the Star Wars mugs, almost everything Christmas themed is almost pennied I think. Pennied, there was a bunch of:

christmas ornaments

Card decks also included:

Looney Tunes Christmas

Charley Brown Christmas, probably the special

Thank you for the heads up!

"Edit: my mistake, it was the Fallout 4 GOTY guide"

Was this an old or recent drop? how recent?
I don’t know when it dropped, but I picked up all 3 guides at the same store on Monday Feb 18th. They all had a label that said field destroy. The clerk just handed them to me and said they were free. They were not on display- I asked for them.

:whee:    DROP DAY... DROP DAY... DROP DAY!!     :whee:

Darksiders 3 CE

Art of Persona 5 (if you're super lucky enough to find it!)

Women of Gaming hardcover

recent

1x deadpool holiday

elf w/ will ferrell

frosty the snowman

probably others

If anyone sees them and interested in Star wars stuff, I just picked up 2 pennied mugs not previously mentioned

both Mugs are Rogue one, all black

1.Says "Star Wars" upfront and K-2 in the back with thermal high light stuff, looks like a regular mug

2. "Death Star" on the front in green and Green outline schematic of the death star on the back, 18 oz and round (barrel shaped), its a quality mug, at least I think it is because it says microwavable and dishwasher safe, unlike the cheap stuff that says hand wash only and made by unknown cheap ass toy company I've never heard of.

Thanks. I really need to start storing locations of these so I can grab them without having to walk through 3-4 GameStops looking all shady because I'm peeking behind the counter.

I found a store with a few Darksiders III yesterday, but I don't even own the game so I passed on them.

I'm not sure I would call finding dozens of FO76 guides a score... unless I was the store happy to finally get rid of them!

On a serious note, nice job. Hoping you did not dumpster dive.

bread's done
Back