Rei no Otaku gets the hat trick with General Gaming Thread #9!

Got in another good session with ME2 last night. Mainly did Illium missions--a couple character recruitment ones, a loyalty mission and some side quests. Did one story quest unintentionally by talking to the Illusive Man.

But I'm good now and can focus on rounding up the last couple characters, doing a bunch of loyalty missions and all the sidequests I can before moving on in the story any further. Plus planet scanning and upgrading of course.

Dying to play some more tonight, but this cold is kicking my ass so I may resist so I can get to bed earlier. Always get sucked in and play at least a couple hours longer than I intend.

Started Playing through GoW1 from the GoW collection. The is definitely showing its age, but still looks pretty damn good for a ps2 game.

[quote name='dallow']Playing a lot more than you thought you would eh dmaul?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as I said when I decided to buy it, I have a cold. So while I feel like shit, it's given me more time to play the past few days as I skipped out on some social plans over the weekend, skipping a work-related reception tonight etc. to keep my germs to myself and get some rest.

Downside is I've stayed up too late playing it (5:30am on Saturday, 2am last night) which isn't helping with the get some rest part!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']... man, ME2 is time consuming but i never feel rushed[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I love about games like ME2, Oblivion etc.

They take a ton of time, but you don't feel rushed. But rather feel compelled to relax and take your time, do all the side quests, explore everywhere looking for items, talk to everyone etc.

Vs. other games where I feel like I'm just pushing to get to the end.

[quote name='seanr1221']Dallow, is WKC like a loot game?[/QUOTE]
Not quite..... it's kind of a mixed bag.
You do get online, find a party of up to 4, and go out and do quests, but they're more MMO style leaning towards Phantasy Star and FFXI. I guess you do find loot, and minerals you need for creating new items, etc.

This video I posted really explains it a lot better.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6786555&postcount=272

This is all in addition to the singleplayer game.

I expect some 'it's alright' reviews and others that will be pretty harsh. But I can live with that.

Just two levels until I get my first ship upgrade in STO. McLovin' that game right now--so much more fun when you play with other people.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Any websites with STO video reviews?[/QUOTE]
You could check out Giantbomb. They have a few videos of them playing the BETA.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Rei I hate the way your jacked girl looks

Im talking about ME2 not GaGa

Yay posting in the right GGT[/QUOTE]
Hate all you want, I think she looks awesome!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Any websites with STO video reviews?[/QUOTE]
Why would you want reviews of an MMO they day it comes out?

I was really hoping this GGT would be called "GGT9: The one where we don't talk about Mass Effect 2"

I did finally beat Dragon Quest 8 late last night. Just a few days over a month, and 62 hours total. No more DQ for me for awhile.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would you want reviews of an MMO they day it comes out?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know anything about STO and I didnt even know the release date if that helps.

[quote name='Krymner']I was really hoping this GGT would be called "GGT9: The one where we don't talk about Mass Effect 2"[/QUOTE]
Nope. Still going to be talking about it.

I like how Bioware pretty much said renegade in ME1 was the right choice if you look at what the default scenario is for people without a save file. I'm on my second run using my paragon from ME1, and wow I hate it.

The council is still a bunch of assholes, that one lady I let go on Vimire is back to experimenting on people towards evil ends, etc.
That's what happens when you're a pussy.

Yeah I did paragon but didn't save the council.

Some of it comes back to bite you, but I don't enjoy being an asshole to everyone, shooting people rather than talking etc.

Doing paragon as well, if I do a second playthrough I'll probably just do the same with the same character on a higher difficulty. But likely I'll just shelf it until DLC comes out after doing everything the first time.

Don't get me wrong. Paragon is way better in ME2 than ME1. You still feel like a badass if you're a paragon in ME2 whereas before you felt like a douche. I was more referring to the ramifications of your choices carried over from ME1. The story seems to punish you for having been a paragon in that game. Hope they do it again with ME3. Nice guys aren't going to save the galaxy.

Honestly I don't pay attention to the paragon/renegade meter the first time through. If the situation calls for a nice moment, I do that. If I need to knock a bitch out, yep.

Yeah, I just prefer being the good guy. Especially when the renegade option is killing someone over something petty, being a dick to squad mates who want help with something etc.

So I'll be a pussy and deal with it coming back to bite me. Better to be a pussy than an asshole! :D

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The story seems to punish you for having been a paragon in that game. Hope they do it again with ME3. Nice guys aren't going to save the galaxy.[/QUOTE]
I completely disagree with that. Nothing made me happier then running into Wrex again, or running into a few people I helped on Illium and all the messages I got from others I helped.
[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah I did paragon but didn't save the council.[/QUOTE]
Oddly enough I saved the council in 1 and took the Renegade path at the end of 2.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I honestly don't know anything about STO and I didnt even know the release date if that helps.[/QUOTE]
Then follow Kaji's advice.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I completely disagree with that. Nothing made me happier then running into Wrex again, running into a few people I helped on Illium or all the little messages from others.[/QUOTE]
I haven't gotten to Wrex yet in my paragon game, so we'll see how I feel about that. As for empty praise from a bunch of weaklings, I'll pass.

Rei, Can I ask why you even bother playing a Paragon character?

I could never force myself to play a Renegade character because I know I'd just complain about how much of an asshole Shepard is.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Rei, Can I ask why you even bother playing a Paragon character?

I could never force myself to play a Renegade character because I know I'd just complain about how much of an asshole Shepard is.[/QUOTE]
The same reason I actually finished FFVIII even though it's my most hated game. I don't feel I have the right to discuss something unless I've done it myself.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Nice guys can always save the galaxy. Superman does it all the time.[/QUOTE]
I hate Superman...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']

I hate Superman...[/QUOTE]
I gotta admit, I used to myself, but I've begun to like him in recent years.

I don't really know any other characters that I can bring up that are as bright and shiny good as Shepard/Superman that save the galaxy.

At least any that aren't lame.

Superman is ok. I used to love watching that cartoon as a kid... Back when Saturday mornings were awesome.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The same reason I actually finished FFVIII even though it's my most hated game. I don't feel I have the right to discuss something unless I've done it myself.
.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I play games to have fun, not to have an informed opinion to discuss the game with other game nerds. :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow. I play games to have fun, not to have an informed opinion to discuss the game with other game nerds. :D[/QUOTE]
This may sound crazy, but discussing things with people can be fun! And this may also sound crazy, but I don't like talking out of my ass. To do that I need to have an informed opinion.

:lol: I love FFVIII but I know its flawed.

also:

mag1285.jpg

[quote name='gunm']Is that MAG? Why is the guy carrying a paintball gun?[/QUOTE]

yeah its MAG but I have no idea about anything.

the screenshot reminds me of auction houses in MMOs

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']This may sound crazy, but discussing things with people can be fun! And this may also sound crazy, but I don't like talking out of my ass. To do that I need to have an informed opinion.[/QUOTE]

Oh I like discussing things too or I wouldn't be posting on forums. And I like discussing games.

I'm just not going to play a game I'm not liking so I can have an informed opinion on it. I'll just say that it wasn't my cup of tea and that I couldn't get into it for x, y and z and that's the end of it. So I don't talk out of my ass. I just say I didn't like it and move on to playing and discussing something else rather than wasting time arguing about something I already wasted time on.

But to each their own. Some just love debating and arguing shit ad nauseum. Like movie forums where you have someone that just hates a movie and will post about it in every thread that comes up about it.

Where if I see a movie I don't like I'll usually post once saying why I didn't like it briefly and then go back to talking about movies I enjoyed. I like to focus on the positive and not waste time discussing stuff I hated. Others get as much joy out of a hobby from discussing it with people they haven't met online as they do the hobby itself, so they're more inclined to play stuff, watch stuff etc. even if they don't like it so they can discuss it in detail. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Back to games. I hated FFXIII as well. Got pretty far in, close to the last battle and finally scrapped it. I just didn't dig the characters, plot, draw system etc. And it was about the time that I was getting fed up with JRPGs, turn based menu driven combat etc. I think FFX is the only JRPG I played after that game, and I'll likely never play another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back