"Reigious Freedom" in Indiana

no im just waiting for those sort of people to use the same logic and try to start saying. Cant blame us god made us this way and all of the people who will be right behind them supporting them
I'm just dumbfounded by your idiocy. I mean there's some people I disagree with on the VS. forum but you are literally the most pants-on-head moronic poster on this board.

Bravo, truly bravo for crafting an argument that makes almost no logical sense whatsoever. It's almost as if you have a superpower that makes you the most nonsensical person on the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thing. 

Let's say I own a Wedding Cake Bakery. I make nothing but wedding cakes for people all over the world. If a gay couple come into my shop and ask for a cake for their wedding on July 24, 2015, and I don't want to do it because I don't believe in gay marriage. Why don't I just say "Well, I'm really booked that week, and there is no way I can do it." 

I guess I just don't understand why people say they won't do this or that for gay people, and say they won't do it because they're gay to the people. So what they have done, is cause those people to sue them for civil rights violations, then make the government create stupid laws that aren't needed in the first place.

In real life, we do 4 or 5 pig roasts during the summer. Usually it is a friends and family get together, but last year I had 2 jobs that were paying catering type jobs. One was a gay wedding. It was a hell of a lot of fun, and inspired me to maybe do a few more paying jobs this year.

If gay people want to get married, they can be miserable like the rest of us. Really, it would help a lot of them in simplifying their lives, and making it so they can take care of their loved ones in the events of deaths or accidents.

I'm done ranting. These politicians and business owners are dipshits. The law is stupid, and if these people don't want to make money, I'll learn to make wedding cakes, so I can make it.

its more like they think they deserve special treatment.
Not special, just equal. I don't know how much clearer that needs to be stated.

And as long as we're on the Indiana topic, Pence and company really did no service to the people of Indiana with their rewrite of this law. Without amending their state constitution, this specific type of discrimination can still happen, whether or not this law even exists. All that was done was a small gesture to appease the critics and keep corporations from following through on their threats to no longer do business or expand operations in that state. It's completely toothless, and nothing there will change until there is an amendment to their constitution, and Pence has already said that isn't going to happen.

Not special, just equal. I don't know how much clearer that needs to be stated.
But equal means they think you need enough special treatment to level the playing field. They think it's the same thing as giving a handicap, when it's more like not going out of your way to make somebody's life more miserable.

Anyway, it's hilarious about the justification politicians are using for these laws. Oh a Jewish shouldn't be forced to make a swastika cake for the KKK but without this law they will. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody, and if the owner is a dick, consumers have the right to say he is one and ignore him. That was life before this law, only thing to worry about was a negative Yelp review.

Religious beliefs were used to justify a lot of things in the America of someone's childhood, especially slavery and Jim Crow, and apparently politicians choose to ignore that.

Hoosiers are kind, warm friendly people? Pretty sure Hoosiers, like any American, would rather have their politicians use taxpayer money to solve a huge problem that affects them rather than something that stirs up controversy that'll get a bunch of dicks coming up to their doorstep like Chic Fil-A.

I just don't get why people care.  Making a cake for a nazi doesn't make you a nazi, and making a cake for a homosexuals wedding doesn't change your heterosexual lifestyle.  Mountains out of mole hills my children.

love how a  person went into a bakery as asked them to make a cake with 2 men on it saying  GOD forbids sin or something like that.  bakery goes  NOPE not going to do it.  Dude goes you violated my rights and take them to court.

Court goes   BAKERY HAS THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE IT 

Gay couple demands a bakery makes a cake for their wedding. Bakery goes   NOPE NOT GOING TO DO IT.  Gay couple goes  you viloated our rights

Court goes  YES THE BAKERY HAS TO MAKE IT 

Yea thats really fair . See if your white or straight you have no rights, if you gay everyone has to give you what you want or they will go crying on Tv about it demanding money.

Little off topic but few months back  there was a story here ..

A Man was down visting a friend in town and they remove  tree stumps, but since he did  not live around here they dont do it here, yet  he did it for his friend. Well a black man saw this and goes  I want my Stumps removed too. The person told him they do no remove  the stumps around here but was only doing it this one time for a friend. The black man throws a fit  screaming your going to remove my stump your going to remove it.  Dude does not remove it  so the black man  calls the persons company over  200 times filling up their voice mail and their answering machine.  After about  2 weeks of this the owner  gets sick of it and says something like   Stop calling me you stupid  N word  (what he should never said)    Now happy the  black man gets a lawyer and goes on tv.

Long story short  the black man sued the owner  for either 10k or 100k for slander  for calling him the  N word and that he would not remove his stump even though he  DID NOT WORK in that town.  The court goes  the owner could not sue the black man for harassment even though he had  proof of over the 250 phone calls left  calling him   Cracker and other  racist white names.  Yet the black man had the right  to sue after being called the N word  LOL

Yea really fair... you see if you gay or black if you dont get your way you  can sue and get  cash .   Keep playing that race card.

love how a person went into a bakery as asked them to make a cake with 2 men on it saying GOD forbids sin or something like that. bakery goes NOPE not going to do it. Dude goes you violated my rights and take them to court.

Court goes BAKERY HAS THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE IT

Gay couple demands a bakery makes a cake for their wedding. Bakery goes NOPE NOT GOING TO DO IT. Gay couple goes you viloated our rights

Court goes YES THE BAKERY HAS TO MAKE IT
In the first instance, the woman did not refuse to make them a cake, she simply refused to put a saying on it. She even offered to give the buyer a frosting piping kit so they could add the saying themselves if they wanted. She didn't refuse to sell them a cake, she just wouldn't decorate it how they wanted and tried to find an alternative solution.

In the second instance, the owner blankly refused to make them a cake period. A more equivalent scenario would be if the baker had made a cake but told the couple they were on their own to find a two-groom cake topper because he wasn't going to add one himself.

But good work on finding two tangentially related cases and trying to whine about them.

And you have no clue what a protected class is or what groups are considered protected classes. One of the major characteristics of a protected class is whether it's based on an immutable characteristic. Not cutting your hair is not immutable, it's a choice.

Furthermore, here's a little update for you. In most states sexual orientation isn't a protected class.
I have a couple questions. Forgive me if I use the wrong terms...

Is religion a protected class?

Has homosexuality been proven to be genetic? (in the eyes of the law)

Religion is a federally protected class via the Civil Rights Act.  What "protected class" means in this instance is that a business can not legally discriminate against someone on the basis of their religion.  The Civil Rights Act of 1964 covers race, color, national origin, religion and sex.  Later laws cover things such as veteran status, disabilities and marriage status.

The law has no position on the origin of homosexuality.  Homosexuality is not a protected class under federal law although some states list it as such.  Indiana does not (which is why this law is not equivalent to the oft-cited law in Illinois) although the amendment passed actually brings Indiana slightly closer by listing gender preference as one of the things this law does not condone discrimination against.

So if homosexuals are not a federally protected class, then why would an establishment that is a federally protected class have to participate in something that is against their beliefs?

So if homosexuals are not a federally protected class, then why would an establishment that is a federally protected class have to participate in something that is against their beliefs?
Because the protected class status protects them from being discriminated against, not an allowance to be protected in everything they do, including discrimination...

Also, religion is a protected class and not largely an immutable characteristic, yes. However, as I said whether or not something is immutable is a major characteristic but it's not the only one.

Furthermore, what you've touched on is one of the reasons why there's a discussion about whether being gay is a choice or something you are born with. If it's something you're born with, well then it would be a long way toward putting sexual orientation into a protected class status, if it's a choice well then it's gonna be a lot more difficult to recognize it as a protected status.

Because the protected class status protects them from being discriminated against, not an allowance to be protected in everything they do, including discrimination...
But is the business discriminating against someone if the people that are alleging discrimination aren't a protected class?

But is the business discriminating against someone if the people that are alleging discrimination aren't a protected class?
That's part of the current debate. Also, just because conduct isn't prohibited by the civil rights act of 1964 doesn't mean it isn't discrimination in the plain meaning.

That's part of the current debate. Also, just because conduct isn't prohibited by the civil rights act of 1964 doesn't mean it isn't discrimination in the plain meaning.
I agree, I just wanted to make sure I understood in terms of the law.

---

I don't necessarily agree with the ruling in the "gay wedding" cake. I think businesses should be able to choose who to sell to, especially if they are privately owned and in the service industry. If I don't want to make a "KKKake" (pun), I shouldn't have to.

---

I don't necessarily agree with the ruling in the "gay wedding" cake. I think businesses should be able to choose who to sell to, especially if they are privately owned and in the service industry. If I don't want to make a "KKKake" (pun), I shouldn't have to.
That's it right there. We don't need a law saying that you don't want to do this or that for whatever people for any reason under the sun.

Like I said earlier, if you own a catering business and don't want to cater a wedding between a camel and an alpaca, say "I'm unavailable that weekend." You don't have to tell them the reason is because you don't agree with it.

I'm a capitalist and I'm not going to turn someone away unless I am truly unable to do the work at that time. If those business owners don't want to make money, fuck them. I don't care if they won't make wedding cakes because the flying spaghetti monster tells them not to, just don't be an ass to customers, because people tend to spread the bad news a lot easier than the good news. With our ever-more-connected society, the Tweet that Bob's Catering are a bunch of assholes hits before the Camel leaves the parking lot.

Everyone on both sides of this are wrong. Everyone needs to be respectful of others and not be assholes to people they don't agree with. The government is pretty much going to do whatever it takes to piss money away and make our lives more complicated, as a businessperson and as a private citizen.

The reason people want the law because saying "I'm not available that weekend" is not going to get you off the hook. What happens in real estate discrimination cases is that if someone feels they are being lied to, they enlist the help of professional "checkers" to make an inquiry for that same place... and if now it is suddenly available then you can be sued on that basis. Same thing would go for the caterer, and if there aren't already actual professional checkers like there are for real estate, I'm sure it would suffice for them to have friends inquire. So a gay couple feels that your not being available is discrimination, then they send in a straight couple to ask for the same weekend. If now you are available, then you'd probably end up in court.

Like I said earlier, if you own a catering business and don't want to cater a wedding between a camel and an alpaca, say "I'm unavailable that weekend." You don't have to tell them the reason is because you don't agree with it.
I would likely handle it that way myself. But if you're someone filled with zeal and fervor and love of liberty, then you may feel it's your divinely appointed right to tell the gays to stop polluting your store with their gayness. Suggesting that they hide that Liberty Light under a bushel for the sake of keeping the peace is akin to blasphemy.

The reason people want the law because saying "I'm not available that weekend" is not going to get you off the hook. What happens in real estate discrimination cases is that if someone feels they are being lied to, they enlist the help of professional "checkers" to make an inquiry for that same place... and if now it is suddenly available then you can be sued on that basis. Same thing would go for the caterer, and if there aren't already actual professional checkers like there are for real estate, I'm sure it would suffice for them to have friends inquire. So a gay couple feels that your not being available is discrimination, then they send in a straight couple to ask for the same weekend. If now you are available, then you'd probably end up in court.
Good point. I really never thought about it that way. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I would likely handle it that way myself. But if you're someone filled with zeal and fervor and love of liberty, than you may feel it's your divinely appointed right to tell the gays to stop polluting your store with their gayness. Suggesting that they hide that Liberty Light under a bushel for the sake of keeping the peace is akin to blasphemy.
That is what I mean. Most people, gay, straight, white, black, etc. just want to go about their business. They want to go to work, to eat, to the park, whatever. There are a few, of every category of people that want to be vocal about their feelings toward others.

I don't know, I don't see a difference between a gay man and a straight woman, or a black man and a white woman. I see people.

---

think this was already covered...

Someone who doesn't make "KKKakes" for anyone wouldn't have to make one for a KKK member.

Although, no one has touched on the idea of a caterer being asked to do a full service delivery to a KKK meeting.

Housing is a different beast altogether though as it's protected/regulated by both the broader Civil Rights Act of 1964 as well as the Federal Fair Housing Act. The justification being that housing is a critical part of life, a wedding cake is not and therefore we're not likely to see a Federal Equal Pastry Protection law anytime soon.

Someone who doesn't make "KKKakes" for anyone wouldn't have to make one for a KKK member.

Although, no one has touched on the idea of a caterer being asked to do a full service delivery to a KKK meeting.
Because joining a hate group is a choice. The people who do so take the consequences with their actions, animosity toward them and all. Despite not yet being a protected class in most states yet, sexual orientation isn't the same as being in a hate group.

Because joining a hate group is a choice. The people who do so take the consequences with their actions, animosity toward them and all. Despite not yet being a protected class in most states yet, sexual orientation isn't the same as being in a hate group.
Didn't we establish they are both a choice in the eyes of the law though?

Didn't we establish they are both a choice in the eyes of the law though?
No, we established that the law does not have an opinion on why people are homosexual. This is different from the law establishing that it is a choice. For that matter, the law does not have an opinion on why people are religious but the protection of religious practices dates back the nation's founding so it's just an inconsistency we have to live with.

In regards to catering KKK meetings, I would not expect someone to do so. In the case of the bakery lawsuit, sexual orientation is a protected class in Colorado whereas membership in a group (be it the KKK or American Kennel Club) generally is not. In states where sexual orientation is not a protected class, one would be free to refuse either on the basis of their group/orientation but I would advocate for protections there. In short, I personally feel that orientation is deserving of protected status and that membership in a group is (generally) not.

Does the law have an opinion on hate groups being a choice?

NVM, I see you edited your response.

Having an irrational hate against a particular group of people may not be a concious choice - it's evolutionary instinct to be fearful of unknown and unusual things.

HOWEVER, the CHOICE of how one reacts (I.e.: hate crimes, hate groups, etc.) is 100% a choice. I agree with that.

Now, sexuality. How much individual influence does one have over who they're attracted to? What characteristics attracts them to someone? Evolution, emotions, nature, whatever.

HOWEVER, the CHOICE of how an individual chooses to react to those feelings of attraction *is* a choice, correct? If I find myself attracted to a male coworker, then I can make the choice to act on those feelings or stay with my wife.

Being attracted to an individual of the same gender may or may not be a choice. Acting on that attraction *is* a choice. Would anyone disagree with that?

So the argument is "It's fine if you're gay since, as long as you don't ACT gay, you shouldn't need to be a protected class"?

That's... innovative.

Are you saying that individuals have no choice but to act upon their most basic, primal, animalistic urges when they feel an attraction towards another individual? That they have no choice?

Exactly. We are defined by our actions, not by our emotions. Therefore, legally, it should make no difference if being gay is an issue of nature vs. nurture.

With that said, if two dudes want to have an adult, consentual relationship, then I'm happy they found love together. Let them be wed (if they so choose) and enjoy all the benefits that come with being a married couple. Let them dance together in the rain, hold hands walking down the street, exchange kisses on the sidewalk, whatever. They are adults and they are consenting. Let them live.

We can most all agree on that?

Are you saying that individuals have no choice but to act upon their most basic, primal, animalistic urges when they feel an attraction towards another individual? That they have no choice?
No, I'm saying that "It's okay if you're gay so long as you don't ACT gay" is a terrible premise for legal protections.

Comparing it to animalism doesn't do much to help your case.

No, I'm saying that "It's okay if you're gay so long as you don't ACT gay" is a terrible premise for legal protections.
So you're saying something no one else (in this thread) has tried to claim. Great!

Comparing it to animalism doesn't do much to help your case.
Did scientific consensus recently change and humans are no longer considrered part of the animal kingdom?

So the cake case in Colorado...

What was the outcome as far as the cake itself? They had to make the cake, but were they required to write anything on it? or place two groomsmen on it?

Out of curiosity...

Would a Muslim cartoonist be forced to produce a commission portraying Muhammad if it were requested? In theory s/he would be producing the same product they always produce, just with a different subject.

Out of curiosity...

Would a Muslim cartoonist be forced to produce a commission portraying Muhammad if it were requested? In theory s/he would be producing the same product they always produce, just with a different subject.
I think a better example would be "should a Jewish deli be required to cater a baptism if they don't want to?". My personal belief is no, they shouldn't be. And they should have the right to say that their religion is against baptizing in Christian fashion, and therefore don't want to provide a service for an event that goes against their beliefs.

So the cake case in Colorado...

What was the outcome as far as the cake itself? They had to make the cake, but were they required to write anything on it? or place two groomsmen on it?
They weren't forced to make the cake. What generally happens in these cases is that you're forced to pay punitive damages. There's few situations where you can actually be compelled to sell something against your will -- real estate being the primary one.

No, but that case would be different anyway. You wouldn't be refusing to draw Muhammad because the customer was [whatever], you'd be refusing because you don't draw Muhammad for anybody. The thing is, a "wedding" cake is just a cake at a wedding. Refusing to make someone a two-tier cake with blue frosting isn't protected just because it'll go to a wedding. You might refuse to put a cake topper on it or refuse to deliver it and have a case. Refusing blankly to make a cake period is where you get in trouble.

I think a better example would be "should a Jewish deli be required to cater a baptism if they don't want to?". My personal belief is no, they shouldn't be. And they should have the right to say that their religion is against baptizing in Christian fashion, and therefore don't want to provide a service for an event that goes against their beliefs.
This is a better example.^^^

They weren't forced to make the cake. What generally happens in these cases is that you're forced to pay punitive damages. There's few situations where you can actually be compelled to sell something against your will -- real estate being the primary one.

No, but that case would be different anyway. You wouldn't be refusing to draw Muhammad because the customer was [whatever], you'd be refusing because you don't draw Muhammad for anybody. The thing is, a "wedding" cake is just a cake at a wedding. Refusing to make someone a two-tier cake with blue frosting isn't protected just because it'll go to a wedding. You might refuse to put a cake topper on it or refuse to deliver it and have a case. Refusing blankly to make a cake period is where you get in trouble.
Ok thanks for the clarification. I figured there was some type of contingency (or room for discussion) in there in regards to toppers, writing, etc.

As previously mentioned, there was another case where someone asked for a cake with an anti-gay message on it.  The shop refused to write the message but offered to sell the cake and include a frosting piping kit and instructions so the customer could write whatever he wanted on there.  The courts ruled that the store had made a good faith effort.  Had the store with the "gay wedding cake" produced a cake and just refused to go the extra step, they probably would have been fine.  "We don't stock or provide two-groom cake toppers" is a better defense than "We won't sell you a cake".

Is that any different than a baker who doesn't want to provide a service for an event that goes against their beliefs?
Nope. And in both cases, I think the business should get to choose who they want to serve, and face the consequences or alienating the public and suffer from a smaller customer base.

As previously mentioned, there was another case where someone asked for a cake with an anti-gay message on it. The shop refused to write the message but offered to sell the cake and include a frosting piping kit and instructions so the customer could write whatever he wanted on there. The courts ruled that the store had made a good faith effort. Had the store with the "gay wedding cake" produced a cake and just refused to go the extra step, they probably would have been fine. "We don't stock or provide two-groom cake toppers" is a better defense than "We won't sell you a cake".
why make them a cake Just give them the mix and tell them to bake it themself. They would still sue saying they would not make it.

Are they not in the cake decorating business as well?
you see only the gays have rights to complain, if your straight and complain noone cares, they would say your forcing your views onto the baker

i know at least one local story here were a baker refused to make a cake for a wedding cause it was a white man and a black women and there was no national outrage

i know at least one local story here were a baker refused to make a cake for a wedding cause it was a white man and a black women and there was no national outrage
There should have been.

There should have been no *legal* repercussions. But every reasonable person should have expressed outrage at that.

bread's done
Back