"Reigious Freedom" in Indiana

There should have been no *legal* repercussions. But every reasonable person should have expressed outrage at that.
Well, there should have been legal repercussions since it would be in direct violation of the Civil Rights Act. I know nothing of the story beyond "slidecage says this happened" so there's not much else to comment on.

Well, there should have been legal repercussions since it would be in direct violation of the Civil Rights Act. I know nothing of the story beyond "slidecage says this happened" so there's not much else to comment on.
Well, when I said "should", I meant "In My Humble Opinion".

Sure. So the correct response if the decoration was an issue should have been "We don't do that specific decoration but here's a range of other decorations you can choose from".
So, a baker can give someone a decorating kit to do the work themselves, but can't give someone a cake mix and tell them to do the work themselves.
Sounds fair.

So, a baker can give someone a decorating kit to do the work themselves, but can't give someone a cake mix and tell them to do the work themselves.
Sounds fair.
Given the different in labor between making a cake from scratch and squeezing some piping onto it, I agree with you. It sounds very fair.

Also, if your cake shop is using boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix to hand out, you need to find a new bakery.

I have to disagree. Baking a cake is pretty simple, all things considered. Have you ever actually tried to decorate a cake? That shit is hard to do.

Except they're not refusing to decorate it at all.  She's still frosting it and putting on the border and all that stuff.  They're just refusing to add one element and giving you an alternative to add that one element.  Plus, even if you did bake a cake, you'd STILL have to decorate it -- you don't think the anti-gay marriage bakery is going to add all the bells & whistles to the plain cake you bring in from the street after refusing to bake the cake for you, do you?

Your argument is nonsensical.

You're right. It makes perfect sense to say "It's okay to refuse to do workX because you have a moral disagreement with it, but not okay to refuse to do workY because you have a moral disagreement with it."

Should we go back to your earlier statement about not acting gay that you were the only one to bring up?

You're right. It makes perfect sense to say "It's okay to refuse to do workX because you have a moral disagreement with it, but not okay to refuse to do workY because you have a moral disagreement with it."
Thanks. I'm glad you're finally able to comprehend that there's a gradient between X and Y. I was worried about you for a while since it's such a basic concept but knowing that you've come around makes me a lot happier. As it turns out, the courts also agree with us so now you, me and the legal system are on the same page as to what's intelligent :D/

Was it this heady sensation of realizing that I'm right that made you want to change the topic? Sure, I can talk about why "Sure your attraction may be innate but you don't have to act on it" is a terrible premise for civil rights legislation.

The legal system is a great framework to base your judgement of what's right and wrong.

Like, many years ago, when the legal system determined that colored people didn't really count as people, but were property.

The legal system is always right and no one should ever question it.

"Sure your attraction may be innate but you don't have to act on it"
So... a 50 year old man has an attraction to a 14 year old girl - and he has a choice on if he wishes to act upon that attraction or not.

Should this individual be protected by legislation as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a good reason to question the courts in this particular instance, you should mention it.  I haven't seen one yet and "But once blacks were slaves!" isn't a real good reason to say the courts are wrong to see a difference between refusing to make a product and refusing to add a single decorative element but giving an alternative.

What sort of legislation are you asking the man to be protected by?  Are you asking if pedophiles should be a protected class?  I don't believe so but the onus is on the person advocating for it to explain why they should be, not on me to explain why every other person in the world ("But what about cat owners who like stock car racing and setting fire to ducks?!") doesn't qualify.  If you think he should be protected, make a clear argument for it.  If you don't, you're just wasting time on nonsense again.

Why should homosexual individuals be protected as a class?
Because they meet the general criteria for a protected class: A long and documented history of discrimination based on an immutable characteristic leading to undue economic and social hardship and loss of basic civil rights. Such people face those hardships purely because they are a member of said class and not as a result of malignant action on their part (or even one that could be broadly applied to their class).

Choosing to engage in a relationship with an individual of the same gender is an "immutable characteristic"? Even if you believe homosexuality is nature over nurture, I'm not sure how you'd categorize it as a physical characteristic.

But let's say it is. How is this different than 50 year olds who are attracted to 14 year olds? They'd have the same "immutable characteristic" (an attraction to a particular type of person) that causes them to be discriminated against, etc., etc.

What is it that makes an individual attracted to people of the same gender worthy of special protections while an individual attracted to people of a younger age not worthy of these same protections?

You say I should have to make the argument in favor of pedophiles (which, by the way, being attracted to a 14 year old does not meet the criteria for pedophilia), but you're making it for me - your reasoning for wanting special protections for homosexuals would also cover individuals like the example I gave above.

Choosing to engage in a relationship with an individual of the same gender is an "immutable characteristic"? Even if you believe homosexuality is nature over nurture, I'm not sure how you'd categorize it as a physical characteristic.
Immutable =/= physical

If you think my full criteria applies to pedophiles, I'm going to have to disagree with you but I'm not actually going to waste time trying to "convince" you. But, again, why don't you make an active argument for them as a protected class instead of hiding behind the tired emotional technique of "I'm losing this debate on homosexuality but if I make it about pedophiles as a proxy for homosexuals, I'm sure to win! No one will speak up for THEM!"

Funny (well, sadly, not really) how debates about homosexuality always turn into someone making the desperate "But what about [pedophiles/goat-humpers/whatever] They're no different!" argument.

We could debate the definition of "immutable characteristic" (which is generally agreed upon, but none-the-less) - but that's not really getting us anywhere.

As I stated, I'm willing to acquiesce that one's attraction towards others is an "immutable characteristic", as you stated.

So, why do you believe that an individual attracted to individuals of the same gender should be protected while individuals attracted to individuals of a significantly younger age shouldn't?

Dang it, you went back and edited your post on me.

First off, I don't know why you keep trying to make this about pedophiles. You keep bringing that up, but I haven't mentioned them at all.

Second, I don't need to make an "argument", because I don't believe that individuals attracted to someone significantly younger should be in a specially protected class. However, by your criteria, they seem to fit every aspect of what you have stated you believe is needed to define someone as needing a protected status. If you don't think that's the case, then please feel free to explain how your criteria is so vastly different for one group over the other.

Second, I don't need to make an "argument", because I don't believe that individuals attracted to someone significantly younger should be in a specially protected class.
Neither do I. So no reason to debate it.

If you don't think that's the case, then please feel free to explain how your criteria is so vastly different for one group over the other.
No reason, since no one is making the argument that they should be. When you (or someone) makes a sincere argument for it, I'll see if there's flaws in it. Until then, you're just setting up strawmen to avoid the main topic.

More to it, this is such an entry-level technique that you should probably be ashamed. Someone makes a point and Person B says "No, it's just like this, prove me wrong" and then sets himself up as the arbiter of whether it's correct or not. Person B, of course, has no motivation to ever admit that Person A is correct (since that would require admitting his own error) so he simply raises the demand for evidence and brushes off any points that don't work for him. "Oh, but THAT doesn't matter... they're still the same so convince me otherwise".

In reality, if someone thinks a group should be protected, there's a process to it and a public debate that goes beyond one person being told to "prove it" and the guy saying "prove it" deciding if it's been proven or not. There's little value in debating the differences between homosexuals as a protected class vs pedophile (or hebephiles or whatever) as a protected class with someone who'll be wrong if he admits the difference. See, for example, "Making a cake from scratch is just like adding a line of frosting, maybe even easier"

If I propose an "eat the rich" law that says anyone living in a primary residence with more than three floors, 20 rooms and three restrooms must pay an extra $200/room/year in property taxes, then someone else comes along and points out "Hey, this includes people who live in apartment buildings", I can't just throw my hands up and say "Naw, no one wants to tax them, that's a strawman, why'd you even bring it up?"

You are proposing a definition that includes a whole lot of people. You can't just say "well, I don't want to include them in this definition, so it doesn't." and be done with it.

Well, you *can*. But that's up to you.

Except that you're wrong (again). I recognize the difference between homosexuals as a class and elsewise. I simply want to see you put it in words so we can move on to the next step).

If I propose an "eat the rich" law that says anyone living in a primary residence with more than three floors, 20 rooms and three restrooms must pay an extra $200/room/year in property taxes, then someone else comes along and points out "Hey, this includes people who live in apartment buildings", I can't just throw my hands up and say "Naw, no one wants to tax them, that's a strawman, why'd you even bring it up?"
Protected classes are explicitly called out as such. If a law making sexual orientation a protected class said "anyone of any sexual orientation" then maybe you'd have a point. They don't though so the comparison doesn't hold. Is there a specific law you're concerned bout that you feel too broadly casts a net over "orientation" that you think this example is meaningful?

For example, the Illinois law clearly states:

Sexual orientation. "Sexual orientation" means actual or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or gender-related identity, whether or not traditionally associated with the person's designated sex at birth. "Sexual orientation" does not include a physical or sexual attraction to a minor by an adult.

So your concerns about it being misinterpreted seem unfounded. Now if you think those people SHOULD be protected then, once again, please clearly explain why rather than using it as a strawman to avoid the topic.

Not a specific law, just your reasoning to support such a law. Your reason for including sexual orientation (w/r/t gender preference) is too broad for my tastes and I'm asking you to narrow it down by providing examples of individuals who would be covered via your same definition that I can't imagine either one of us would want to be covered by that definition.

You keep going back and editing your posts. Makes it hard to carry on a conversation. :D

The fact that the Illinois law clearly calls that aspect out merely supports my argument that you need to be specific and clear in your reasoning. The law you pointed out was specific and clear in the "what". I'm asking you to provide the "why" - and the reasonable piece attached to that is for you to be specific and clear. "Because I feel like it" isn't a good answer to "Why?"

The fact that the Illinois law clearly calls that aspect out merely supports my argument that you need to be specific and clear in your reasoning. The law you pointed out was specific and clear in the "what". I'm asking you to provide the "why" - and the reasonable piece attached to that is for you to be specific and clear. "Because I feel like it" isn't a good answer to "Why?"
I gave you the "why". I also don't think that the other classes you mention apply but I keep giving you the chance to argue otherwise and you keep passing on it. So I have to assume that you're not very serious about it.

Barring you giving a clear and concise argument for why you think pedophiles as a class apply given my full criteria, I'm going to call this a cap for my posting in the thread. You can't say that I'm not being clear when you can't give a clear and specific argument in favor of making pedophiles a protected class. Or, if you insist on hebephiles, be sure to state exactly what the line is and why that is the clear and specific line that they deserve the protection but pedophiles do not.

I guess the thought process is "Anyone could qualify as a protected class when you think about it, so why should anyone be a protected class?"

I guess the thought process is "Anyone could qualify as a protected class when you think about it, so why should anyone be a protected class?"
But if that's your argument then you should give specific examples. In the case of UncleBob's apartment example, I could say "Well, the problem is that apartments meet the specific criteria of a building with more than three floors, twenty room and three restrooms" and defend each of those points and even present a solution (only applies to single family zoned residences, does not apply to rental tenants, etc).

If someone thinks that pedophiles -- as a class not, just a specific individual -- meet all the criteria of other protected classes then they should go point by point and define how it applies. Make an active argument for it. Likewise, if you think that some other group applies, make that argument instead. Don't just give some vague "But that means anyone applies... prove me wrong!" statement. That's pretty much just admitting that you don't have an argument buy placing the burden on the other guy.

I gave you the "why". I also don't think that the other classes you mention apply but I keep giving you the chance to argue otherwise and you keep passing on it.
I don't see how the other classes don't apply to your reasons as to why homosexuals should be a "protected" class. They fit every single one of the criteria you put out there.

But, if you want me to go point-by-point:

A long and documented history of discrimination (are you wanting me to go through and dig up all the articles about individuals engaged in underage relationships and how they can't find housing, are sent to jail, how folks will plaster neighborhoods with fliers with their faces on them, attack them at their homes, etc?) based on an immutable characteristic (going by your idea of what makes an "immutable characteristic", this would seem to apply to anyone's sexual preference) leading to undue economic and social hardship (again, need me to go pull all those newspaper articles about trying to find housing, going to jail, etc.?) and loss of basic civil rights (again, going to jail, etc.).

You skipped the second portion. Please do a complete job if you're trying to make an argument.
If we can slaughter our livestock why can't we marry and have intimate relationships with them? Who is to say my attraction to my goat isn't "immutable". I mean nature made me this way afterall. You all are quick to call it an illness (and illegal) but it wasn't too long ago that homosexuality was considered the same.

If you feel that way, you should lead the charge to making bestiality legal just as homosexuals did for their cause.  Make some good arguments, gain support, take your message to the people, win some court cases, etc. 

"But bestiality isn't legal" is a terrible reason to not protect someone else.  You enjoy sex with goats -- make an active case for why your desire for goat sex should be legal, don't waste time trying to deny some other group the rights you desire.

Likewise, pedophilia is considered harmful to those involved (thus it wouldn't be considered as a protected class).  But if you feel this is wrong, don't say "Homosexuals shouldn't be a protected class because this other group isn't!" -- make some strong arguments for why you feel pedophilia isn't harmful and should be legal.  I don't agree but maybe you'll convince us all just as homosexuals did.

I do agree that pedophilia is harmful, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree that a relationship with a post-pubescent individual is blanket-harmful (it can be, and often is, but I think that has more to do with the negative image that modern society gives to the idea of an adult having a relationship with a minor and the types of individuals who don't mind dodging the law that skews those results). If two fourteen year olds have sex, we wouldn't send one to jail (and, in fact, many people would be okay with it, so long as they were smart enough to use protection and such).

But, more to your point, I don't think anyone is "Homosexuals shouldn't be a protected class because this other group isn't!" as you keep trying to strawman in. The argument is that these other groups seem to fall under the same criteria that you're wanting to use to justify providing special protections to one group, but none of the others.

If you agree that it is, more often than not, harmful and you are still using it as an equivalent case for whether or not homosexuals deserve equal protection then you're either suggesting that homosexuality is harmful or else just wasting time.  If you think that relationships with 14 year olds are unfairly maligned then you should make a case for why that should be changed.  However, you have failed to make a case for why pedophiles should be a protected class under the complete criteria.

You say these other groups "seem to" fall under the same criteria but then admit that they do not when you say that pedophilia is harmful.  In fact, most of the negative repercussions pedophiles face are a direct result of them breaking the law (mandatory reporting, lists, etc which lead to social stigma).  Before you go off on "But the law USED to say...", if you think the law is wrong about pedophilia then work to get the law changed -- that was one of the first steps towards homosexuals gaining equal rights (and they're not there yet).  Until then, you can't use pedophilia as an equivalent case because it clearly is not.  I suspect you know this but just dislike admitting that you are wrong.

Why do you keep going back to pedophilia? You are the only one who keeps going to that. Again, pedophilia is almost exclusively harmful and not at all what I'm talking about. I'm not sure if you just don't understand the difference or if you're intentionally trying to muddy the water because it bolsters your side of the argument.

If you agree that it is, more often than not, harmful[...]
The results are skewed though. When you make something illegal, then the majority of the people who do it are going to be the type who don't mind breaking the law. And generally, it's the worst ones who get caught. Think of texting while driving. How many people do you think do it on a regular basis? Yet, how many people actually get caught doing it? Generally, the ones who cause some kind of traffic accident. Thus, the conclusion is that texting while driving is the most horrible thing one can do, in spite of the fact that hundreds of thousands of people do it every day with no incident.

If you insist on "hebephelia" then by all means give your specific defense for that instead.  I understand that, at this point, the best you have is to stomp your feet and insist that I must be wrong because I'm not using the word you want to use.

You've still failed to make the argument that it's equivalent to homosexuality though.  Which is really what you should be doing since you presented it as a "But what about THESE guys?!" point.  So let's just ask point blank: Do you feel that hebephelia is equivalent to homosexuality in terms of harm?  And, if you don't, please reconcile why you acknowledge the differences yet insist on making this your equivalency argument.

To make this even simpler and keep it on point: I said that the criteria for a protected class was:

A long and documented history of discrimination based on an immutable characteristic leading to undue economic and social hardship and loss of basic civil rights. Such people face those hardships purely because they are a member of said class and not as a result of malignant action on their part (or even one that could be broadly applied to their class).
You said that hebephiles (per your example of a man attracted to 14 year olds) meet the same criteria. So, according to you, hebephiles have a history of discrimination, economic and social hardship and loss of civil rights that have nothing to do with their actions causing harm but purely as prejudice against their class. Correct? This is what you're saying? Because when you say that hebephiles qualify as a protected class, this is your argument.

You've still failed to make the argument that it's equivalent to homosexuality though.
Did I ever state that they were equivalent?

You keep throwing up all these arguments that no one is making, then claiming victory over the arguments that were not made. Congrats? You won the baseball game when everyone else was playing football.

African Americans, in general, meet your same criteria, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would equate this history of African Americans to the history of Homosexuals. But, using your argument above, simply because someone points out that they meet the same criteria you propose above, then they must be equivalent in every way whatsoever.

No reason to avoid answering the question.  Well, besides the obvious reason you're avoiding it.

African-Americans are equivalent to homosexuals in that both meet all the criteria of a protected class.  There are, of course, numerous ways in which they are not equivalent but we're talking about protected classes here.  As in...

You said that hebephiles (per your example of a man attracted to 14 year olds) meet the same criteria.  So, according to you, hebephiles have a history of discrimination, economic and social hardship and loss of civil rights that have nothing to do with their actions causing harm but purely as prejudice against their class.  Correct?  This is what you're saying?  Because when you say that hebephiles qualify as a protected class, this is your argument.

And, as I stated, individuals as I described above meet the criteria you set out for what you feel needs to be in a "protected" class. They're not exactly equivalent, but they meet the same criteria.

Tell you what. Go try and start a parade for older people who are attracted to underage people. Come back and tell me if you meet up with any social hardships during the process - in spite of the fact that you have never taken any actions which have harmed another. I'm sure we can both pretty much guess what the outcome of you marching down the street in this case would be.

And, as I stated, individuals as I described above meet the criteria you set out for what you feel needs to be in a "protected" class
You stated it, but it's not true and you refuse to answer this simple question, instead weaving and ducking in a desperate attempt to admit that you're wrong:

You said that hebephiles (per your example of a man attracted to 14 year olds) meet the same criteria. So, according to you, hebephiles have a history of discrimination, economic and social hardship and loss of civil rights that have nothing to do with their actions causing harm but purely as prejudice against their class. Correct? This is what you're saying? Because when you say that hebephiles qualify as a protected class, this is your argument.

I don't think hebephiles qualify as a "protected" class. I'm saying they meet your criteria you've set forth. I'm not sure why you don't understand it.

I'm saying they meet your criteria you've set forth.
So, according to you, hebephiles have a history of discrimination, economic and social hardship and loss of civil rights that have nothing to do with their actions causing harm but purely as prejudice against their class. Correct?

I disagree.  The reason for the negative reaction is due to the harm they cause the children they engage in sex with.  The same can not be said for homosexuality.  Therefore, hebephiles do not meet my criteria.

Since you believe this is wrong, it's up to you to explain and support why you don't think it's harmful for 11-14 year olds to have sex with adult men and the negative reaction to their relationships is unjust.

Wouldn't generally support 11 year olds - Threw out the age of 14, as for most individuals, that's post-puberty.

Although, it's interesting that you specified "adult men". Was this a conscious decision on your part? Or, are you one of those who when you hear about the teenage male who has sex with the hot female teacher, you give the thumbs up?

Also of note, I'm pretty sure I've only mentioned situations of older people being attracted to minors. Why did you jump to them engaging into sexual relations? You realize, of course, that not all relationships are based on or require sex, right?

There are cases where it's harmful (generally, forced, coerced, etc. relationships), but not all such relationships are harmful.

Although, it's interesting that you specified "adult men". Was this a conscious decision on your part? Or, are you one of those who when you hear about the teenage male who has sex with the hot female teacher, you give the thumbs up?
Adorable as your attempt to put me on the defensive is, and trust me you are tots adorbs when you try, it was because the scenario YOU gave was "a 50 year old man has an attraction to a 14 year old girl"

Here I could try and flip it around and ask why YOU made that scenario but I think this has pretty well played out. Nice game, better luck next time, have fun whining about those homosexuals looking for equal rights and protections.

Attraction doesn't equal sex.

And you didn't mind changing the 14 year old to "11-14", but kept the man part. You chose to do that.

Besides, I, as I have previously stated, in this very thread (which I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt of actually having read) fully believe that homosexuals should have equal rights in the eyes of the law. I do not support them having extra rights under the law. There is a difference.

What I got from the story was that two women decided to get rather randy in the back of cabs (a rather common thing), but were requested to not do so. But they decided to lawyer up to sue the cabbie and won. The moral here is if you are White and with money, you can win anything.

Of course the flip side is that the cabbie was being a dick when the two women gave each other a peck. The Yahoo article isn't clear on the details, just that the cabbie may or may not have gotten agitated on when the women decided to take their affection up or down a notch.

All this talk about protected classes and Civil Rights and Religious freedom. Looks like Congress should repeal that 1964 law to show all us coloreds that unless we believe in the word of Christ we deserve nothing.

equal rights or special rights?
No clue. The story gives two different versions of the story and I have none of the testimony or evidence that was presented in court. There isn't enough to the story to get worked up either way unless you're just looking for an excuse to get worked up.

Let the record show, I really like Bob.  Not to the point of getting denied service at a bakery-"like", but I think he puts together good thoughts, doesn't often get pulled into the "I DISAGREE WITH YOU SO YOU'RE STUPID AND I REFUSE TO TALK TO YOU" rebuttal circle jerk, and the guy allows himself have his mind changed, swayed, or just agree to disagree.  Refreshing in the vs. forums.  

What I got from the story was that two women decided to get rather randy in the back of cabs (a rather common thing), but were requested to not do so. But they decided to lawyer up to sue the cabbie and won. The moral here is if you are White and with money, you can win anything.

Of course the flip side is that the cabbie was being a dick when the two women gave each other a peck. The Yahoo article isn't clear on the details, just that the cabbie may or may not have gotten agitated on when the women decided to take their affection up or down a notch.

All this talk about protected classes and Civil Rights and Religious freedom. Looks like Congress should repeal that 1964 law to show all us coloreds that unless we believe in the word of Christ we deserve nothing.
yea you need money if your white, cause if your black all you have to do is cry on TV and people will send you money.

black man harasses a business for days and nothing is done about it. White owner calls black person the N word and the Black man gets 10,000 bucks Yea thats fair

everyone should just go outside and start wacking off and its their right to do it. If they come an arrest you go on tv and cry about it

bread's done
Back