Reinstatement of signiture limit?

Unassuming Local Guy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Some people have pics in their sig that are just too freakin' big.

I saw this ridiculously large 400 pixel tall sig picture this morning.
phf-aagj020.jpg

Something like this (which is another member's signature) is also too tall in my opinion. (Coming in at 299 pixels tall.)
street_fighter.jpg

Even mine at 153 is pretty large. I say we throw a limit on these things. 100 pixels tall, 600 wide. That's plenty of room to express yourself. If you can't do that, you're probably just stealing the image off someone else's website anyway. :roll:

[quote name='help1']umm, I think there is a sig limit, just no one follows it.[/QUOTE]

There used to be a technical limit. It wouldn't even save your profile if the image you're linking was too large.

ok guys, i know this might be an CRAZY idea, but have you tryed asking these people to edit/change their sigs?

i have asked a number of cags to do this, and have had no problems thus far.

i like the no limit sigs alot, and id hate to see them go because people cant communicate.

[quote name='punqsux']ok guys, i know this might be an CRAZY idea, but have you tryed asking these people to edit/change their sigs?

i like the no limit sigs alot, and id hate to see them go because people cant communicate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it is different when a mod asks about it though. Still worth a try.

Also, what resolution are you guys running in? If you are still using an 800x600 screen resolution things aren't going to look as good. You should really try 1024x768. It takes a bit getting used to it but once you see how much more you can see it really is better.

I'm for having the sig limit back. At least for the height.

IMHO, I think PMing people asking them to shrink their sigs is not very useful, especially if you don't have any sort of authority. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that... even more so if the person with the large sig was a mod or something.

Edited to add: If a sig really bothered me, I suppose I'd probably end up PMing a mod to ask for me.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I'm for having the sig limit back. At least for the height.

IMHO, I think PMing people asking them to shrink their sigs is not very useful, especially if you don't have any sort of authority. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that... even more so if the person with the large sig was a mod or something.

Edited to add: If a sig really bothered me, I suppose I'd probably end up PMing a mod to ask for me.[/QUOTE]

is prob referring to:

[quote name='punqsux']ok guys, i know this might be an CRAZY idea, but have you tryed asking these people to edit/change their sigs?

i like the no limit sigs alot, and id hate to see them go because people cant communicate.[/QUOTE]

lol big(ish) sig

It seems that height and not width is the main issue. If all else fails and it really still bugs you, just turn signatures off in the Control Panel. The images don't bother me regardless of how big they are unless I was printing something from the site. Even then the images can be turned off. The only time images can really be a problem is if they are over 50kb in size. Even then that won't affect the majority of people here who tend to have broadband.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It seems that height and not width is the main issue. If all else fails and it really still bugs you, just turn signatures off in the Control Panel. The images don't bother me regardless of how big they are unless I was printing something from the site. Even then the images can be turned off. The only time images can really be a problem is if they are over 50kb in size. Even then that won't affect the majority of people here who tend to have broadband.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure most people w/56k connections or find sigs really annoying have already turned them off. It just seems like it would be easier (certainly for the mods) to just impose a limit than to bug them whenever someone has a sig like in the OP. I mean, if someone with a sig bigger than the average post and they post a lot, that's a lot of scrolling. (I know that sounds lazy... it's just a little annoying.)

I also agree, sigs are getting too out of hand. They are nice to have but some are just obnoxious. Does anyone remember MorganWebbLover's (i think thats his name) giant sigs of er? Its only a matter of time before we get a few of those.

Right Click > Adblock Image

Seriously though, there aren't many sigs that bother me. The two in the OP are a bit big, but if they are, I just adblock them. I think the sigs Moxio and OTM make are a fine size. Even Punq's sig size is okay with me.

EDIT: And I'm also on 56k right now.

actully the street fighter sig is 1 pixel shorter than mine, mine is just wider so it appears to be shorter ^^ as for not having "authority", youre a member of the freaking community here! this isnt some totalitarian police state, if you dont like something, you have all the power in the world to express that. who cares if its a mod? if someone asked me to make my sig smaller (which seems like it might happen ^^) i would do it. Mods arnt these devine entities with mansions on private islands (well, casey is) we're just members of the community too, we do have certin responsibilities that you guys dont have, but really thats about where the difference ends. dont be scared by a title when thats all it is.

This forum software doesn't have a decent built-in signature control function.

I can:
1) Install a sig control hack
2) Do nothing (at least until an official vB upgrade)

My point was mainly the same as GuileSNK's earlier statement, which is basically it's a lot easier to blow off someone's request when they're not a mod.

But it's good to know you're not a devine entity, punq :)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']But it's good to know you're not a devine entity, punq :)[/QUOTE]

heh, just make sure it dosent get around, ive got a reputation to uphold. Q would never hang out with me again!

if someone dosent respond to your request, then ask a mod to mention it to them.

...or we could just change people rank to "needs a smaller sig" until they get the hint

:lol:

I don't know why anyone would blow off anyone's request, especially yours, judyjudyjudy. You're one of the nicest, most respectable CAGs here.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Im on dsl running at 1600*1200

most sigs are too small for me to see :)[/QUOTE]
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

[quote name='CheapyD']1) Install a sig control hack
2) Do nothing (at least until an official vB upgrade)[/QUOTE]
I vote for #2 then. "Hack" makes me think of broken forums...
[quote name='Trakan']I don't know why anyone would blow off anyone's request, especially yours, judyjudyjudy. You're one of the nicest, most respectable CAGs here.[/QUOTE]
:D That's very flattering, especially coming from one of you mods. (teehee)

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Im on dsl running at 1600*1200

most sigs are too small for me to see :)[/QUOTE]

:shock:

The highest mine goes is 1280x1024. Hadn't tried it though.

This is slightly OT, but is there a way to setup different profiles for viewing options on the same user account? For instance, I access the forums regularly away from home, sometimes on dialup, so I'd like one profile for home with 50 posts/page and sigs turned on and a separate profile for dialup with 10 posts/page, no sigs, etc. Is there any way to do that short of changing settings each time or creating a separate account for dialup?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']:shock:

The highest mine goes is 1280x1024. Hadn't tried it though.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I use. Looks great.

I just adblock peoples signatures the annoy me, it reminds me of eldad's request for text only sigs for tradelists and such. So many people have these big obnoxious sigs. I don't see how they like seeing that everytime they post.

I don't mind most of the sigs but there have been a few that have been far to big, but if a sig limit isn't supported by the software it should probably be left as is.

[quote name='zewone']Thats what I use. Looks great.

I just adblock peoples signatures the annoy me, it reminds me of eldad's request for text only sigs for tradelists and such. So many people have these big obnoxious sigs. I don't see how they like seeing that everytime they post.[/QUOTE]

I also run at 1280.

Adblock is an easy solution, so I don't think we need an actual limit. Like punq said, if you don't like someone's sig just ask. If they won't change it you should probably just ignore them anyway. :lol:

I run 1280x1024, sometimes 1600x1200. It's still annoying at that resolution. I don't usually run my browser maximized because one of the great things about high resolutions is that I can do three thousand things at once.

I do have the option to run at 2400x1536 though. Maybe it would be ok at that resolution.

I'm all for a hack because there are a lot of people with cool sigs so I don't want to shut them off completely.

[quote name='evilmax17']I have sigs turned off. It's wonderful![/QUOTE]

Exactly. Even if you have a sig that's maybe not huge, but still a fair size, it makes it hard to read threads that you have posted in numerous times. Especially if it's every other post. I reached my limit on giant sig images and animated gifs a few months ago (when this discussed previously) and turned the damn things off.

[quote name='evilmax17']I have sigs turned off. It's wonderful![/QUOTE]

I just did this right now (didn't know I could), and WOW! A whole new message board experience! It's like being in rush hour in the city with your windows wide open, then shutting them and having almost complete silence...

Some people's avatars annoy me to. Any annoying animation on the net annoys me. Don't we have enough things flashing in our face all the time from advertisers? And now we have regular people putting these things up? I guess I'll just turn animation off in my browser (Mozilla 7).

Geeze, my taking all these steps to prevent annoying avatars and sigs, you'd think I was talking about ads... actually, they're not too far apart.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']I think the ridiculously HUGE ones are to much.
Anything around 200 high X 500 wide is ok IMO.[/QUOTE]

I consider yours to big, a sig an offer and a link is far to much.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I have no problem with most sigs as long as it's not huge, disrupting, or just disgusting.[/QUOTE]
Says the guy who whose sig is an animated gif of a squirrel swinging it's giant balls...

[quote name='Quackzilla']Says the guy who whose sig is an animated gif of a squirrel swinging it's giant balls...[/QUOTE]
It's a Tanuki, and it's humorous. If you want to learn more about it, click it and you'll see where it originates. By disgusting, I mean the people that think it's funny to include an animated ass taking a shit or putting a picture of shit in their signature. Didn't you do that once?

[quote name='Megalith']I'm not worried about the size, it's just that the large ones love to be ugly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I believe the old limit used to be 468x200. That's a pretty good size for a sig.

Also, nice Avy. Love the Giant Skulls from SoTN.

bread's done
Back