ReRo has a hard-on for Braid, Martin Lawrence, and GGT #70!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Well it's stupid. You're stupid. I hate you.
[/quote]

Geez, did someone at Codemasters steal a lollipop from you when you were a baby or something?

[quote name='benjamouth']Must be their thing, I loved Dirt but am not sure about Grid.[/quote]

If you liked DiRT, I think you will like GRiD too.

The driving mechanics are similar, with more of a floaty, fast, arcade feel, but the physics and damage model are advanced, so overall gameplay is somewhere in the middle of Forza2 and NFS, IMO. This balance allows you to race however you want, taking the racing and breaking lines like a GT type game, or powersliding into corners.

As for damage, you can't get away with consistent car blocking (looking at you GT)--take too much, and the car becomes significantly more difficult to control. And a really good crash means the race is over. The way the AI works combined with the damage model means completely random pileups and related mayhem that make each race unique. It's exciting, but not as unforgiving as it sounds because you can "rewind" from the point of the crash as kind of a mulligan, and can do that actually at any point in the game (a limited amount of times based on difficulty chosen). This is awesome if you want to correct your approach to that one last turn that cost you a race, but there are prize money penalties and such, and at least for me personally, I'd rather just restart the game, learn the track, and win clean, if possible.

The career mode is like DiRT's unlock system, but with the added layer of "Driver Offers" where you can complete in challenges for cash and reputation points to buy cars and get you into the actual events. There's tons of events and offers to go through, so I think I'll be playing this for a good long while (I haven't even finished Forza 2 myself!).

Not sure about multiplayer, as I've yet to try it, but these are real-time races, not DiRT's time trial-only stuff, so I figure it's already better in that respect.

Graphics are tight, sound is thumpin', and presentation is slick. There's a significant voice-over track for names and it's cool to hear the female announcer speak as if she's really talking to you, a nice touch.

Overall, GRiD is my fave racing game right now. I just wish the PS3 triggers weren't so mushy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='benjamouth']Geez, did someone at Codemasters steal a lollipop from you when you were a baby or something?[/quote]

Yes, when I was a baby Codemasters stole a lolipop from me.
And by "me," I mean "your mom."
And by "a lolipop" I mean "her virginity".
and by "when I was a baby," I mean "when she was fifteen."
And by "codemasters", I mean "a Tyrannosaurus Rex."

[quote name='gunm']If you liked DiRT, I think you will like GRiD too.

The driving mechanics are similar, with more of a floaty, fast, arcade feel, but the physics and damage model are advanced, so overall gameplay is somewhere in the middle of Forza2 and NFS, IMO. This balance allows you to race however you want, taking the racing and breaking lines like a GT type game, or powersliding into corners.

As for damage, you can't get away with consistent car blocking (looking at you GT)--take too much, and the car becomes significantly more difficult to control. And a really good crash means the race is over. The way the AI works combined with the damage model means completely random pileups and related mayhem that make each race unique. It's exciting, but not as unforgiving as it sounds because you can "rewind" from the point of the crash as kind of a mulligan, and can do that actually at any point in the game (a limited amount of times based on difficulty chosen). This is awesome if you want to correct your approach to that one last turn that cost you a race, but there are prize money penalties and such, and at least for me personally, I'd rather just restart the game, learn the track, and win clean, if possible.

The career mode is like DiRT's unlock system, but with the added layer of "Driver Offers" where you can complete in challenges for cash and reputation points to buy cars and get you into the actual events. There's tons of events and offers to go through, so I think I'll be playing this for a good long while (I haven't even finished Forza 2 myself!).

Not sure about multiplayer, as I've yet to try it, but these are real-time races, not DiRT's time trial-only stuff, so I figure it's already better in that respect.

Graphics are tight, sound is thumpin', and presentation is slick. There's a significant voice-over track for names and it's cool to hear the female announcer speak as if she's really talking to you, a nice touch.

Overall, GRiD is my fave racing game right now. I just wish the PS3 triggers weren't so mushy.[/quote]

Thanks Gunm, interesting stuff, I think I'll pick it up sometime.

[quote name='blueshinra']What level(s) were your characters at, on average? Just curious ^_^

Speaking of Disgaea, Disgaea DS and Rhapsody DS now up for preorder at Rosenqueen! Nice bonuses, too.

I can't wait for September :whee:[/quote]

Cool. I might get Rhapsody. Missed the PS version, and maybe the 2D sprites will work better than the pseudo 3D? I want to preorder from rosenqueen but those mehshugginas charge me as soon as I place the order. Oy!

I played the Grid demo and didn't care for it too much. Controls felt a bit too tight, but I prefer more arcade-style racers cause I race like a mad man.

I'm still waiting for a good offroad racing game for this gen. I played the hell out of 4x4 Evo 2 and I wish someone would do a game with those similar options in gameplay and huge number of tracks.

IMO it's mainly a matter of getting used to the controls, physics. The longer I play GRiD, the more comfortable I feel. I think DiRT was harder to get used to because of how the game handled off-road terrain.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Anyone here ever play the DS Yoshi's Island sequel? How is it?[/quote]

Feels and plays like the original.

Yay!
[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Yes, when I was a baby Codemasters stole a lolipop from me.
And by "me," I mean "your mom."
And by "a lolipop" I mean "her virginity".
and by "when I was a baby," I mean "when she was fifteen."
And by "codemasters", I mean "a Tyrannosaurus Rex."
[/quote]

Here's a picture of the offending party:
T-REX.JPG

[quote name='Azumangaman']I think I wasted $35...
I bought GC component cables, but they don't plug into my GameCube. Am I missing something?[/quote]

Only early gamecubes came with the port needed to plug the component cables into. You might be missing that.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I think I wasted $35...
I bought GC component cables, but they don't plug into my GameCube. Am I missing something?[/quote]

You've made a huge mistake.

[quote name='distgfx']Only early gamecubes came with the port needed to plug the component cables into. You might be missing that.[/QUOTE]

Oh. fuck me then.
Mine is from the Mario Kart Double Dash bundle.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah unfortunately, that one didn't have a component out port, none of the later ones did.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Think it'd be bad if I asked the guy for a refund and see if I could do that (while shipping the GC cables back as well of course)?
Or would that be a dick thing to do?
Then again, he's a fellow GGTer so maybe he won't mind...

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Oh, you would be surprised.[/QUOTE]

Heheh. Well I asked anyway. If he says no, I can always sell them on eBay/to a CAG.

Some last minute pickups before I head out to Vegas...

Brand new in box Namco Arcade Stick (1997). Box is beat up but the stick is fresh, new car smell goodness. Bought it off a coworker for $20! IMO, this is the best arcade stick that doesn't use authentic arcade parts!

2745057374_49a7b85ecd.jpg

2745057440_8370a37aa2.jpg

September 2008 Arcadia Magazine + Bonus DVD
2744220479_34c9e684ca.jpg

Wow, I'm so freaking bored right now. I just don't feel like watching a movie, and I don't feel like playing games. I don't feel like writing or reading or anything either.
Maybe I just need to play a good game.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Wow, I'm so freaking bored right now. I just don't feel like watching a movie, and I don't feel like playing games. I don't feel like writing or reading or anything either.
Maybe I just need to play a good game.[/quote]

Masturbate.

Hey GGT, Captain Rainbow is awesome.

Oh, and weirdest news of the day?

Eurogamer

BioWare is considering doing DS versions of Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and Dragon Age, plus a couple of others.

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer Germany, Miles Holmes, lead designer of Sonic Chronicles, said the developer was looking at "basically anything that reinforces the franchises".

"I tell you which one I would want. I want the Mass Effect one," said Holmes, no relation to Sherlock.

"We have a lot of big plans for Mass Effect. Having a DS version would be an awesome way to keep interest alive and keep it going in addition to [Mass Effect 2]."

Holmes said the overall goal of the handheld team is to reinforce major title releases, and at full capacity will work on up-to three projects at once.
Sonic Chronicles, due out on 26th September, is the DS game from BioWare. Holmes talked of the game as a way to get the handheld division off the ground.

His comments echo those of fellow Sonic Chronicles team member Mark Darrah, who recently revealed BioWare was looking into PSP and Wii development as a way to "broaden our portfolio".

BioWare was bought by mega-publisher EA last October.

Mass Effect DS?

[quote name='Nelo Ice']im surprised he hasnt come in here explaining why the DS3 is the most comfortable controller :lol:[/quote]

Same.

The DS3 is the best because more of my friends have it and they're on the PSN.

wut.

JK

^_^

:bouncy:

DUAL SHOCK 3 NS (nipples sweating)

[quote name='MarkMan']

2745057440_8370a37aa2.jpg

[/quote]

bastard... that's the #1 stick I want ATM...

today I hooked up my 360 to the HDTV in my room since I expect a nice long weekend. going to finish braid on it alongside some VF5.

RR: It is well worth finding one! Good luck. I'm hoarding these because they're getting harder and harder to find.

It's an excellent all around stick. It's compact. Good stuff.

[quote name='zewone']Does it work (at all or well) with a PS2 or PS3?[/quote]

Yes, works flawlessly with PS2. If you have a good converter, it works flawlessly with the PS3 as well. ^_^

[quote name='MarkMan']RR: It is well worth finding one! Good luck. I'm hoarding these because they're getting harder and harder to find.

It's an excellent all around stick. It's compact. Good stuff.[/quote]

what's the average price it goes for nowadays?

I know $20 is super lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back