Resistance 2 - Out Now - Get your co-op on!

[quote name='Thomas96']I think that Single player is being reserved just for one person. Which is a good thing because when you play a single player co-op... it leaves the 2nd player out.. to this day.. who was that black guy that was running around with Hale during Resistance?! Having a dedicated co-op story at least involves all the co-op participants. Also at least you know the game is going to have replayability with the single player campaign, co-op campaign, and online matches. Hell that's like 20 dollars a game.[/quote]

Either did Halo 1 or 2, but they fixed that in 3 and the earlier two were still fun to run through with a second person. It's possible there could be some implimentation of a second character specifically for co-op, but regardless it's a fairly big deal to me as it's the only way for me to play it with some friends who don't and may never will own a Playstation 3. Plus I doubt I'll be playing the single-player campaign more than once if there's no co-op what so ever for it. Sometimes I may go through twice at an increased difficulty if I find it fun enough.

While I doubt the the online campaign will be bad having played past Insomniac games, I surely hope it doesn't end up something retarded like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter did with co-op.

[quote name='Draekon']Either did Halo 1 or 2, but they fixed that in 3 and the earlier two were still fun to run through with a second person. It's possible there could be some implimentation of a second character specifically for co-op, but regardless it's a fairly big deal to me as it's the only way for me to play it with some friends who don't and may never will own a Playstation 3. Plus I doubt I'll be playing the single-player campaign more than once if there's no co-op what so ever for it. Sometimes I may go through twice at an increased difficulty if I find it fun enough.

While I doubt the the online campaign will be bad having played past Insomniac games, I surely hope it doesn't end up something retarded like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter did with co-op.[/QUOTE]

overall you're still getting a co-op mode to go through with a friend. Its just a question if the co-op mode is going to be available via split screen.

oh god please don't ever tell me about GRAW(ps3) co-op... that was some hot mess.

Added some new videos to the OP (not gameplay) of Ted Price and others at Insomniac talking talking about the game.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_XYdky1Qw[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCV8GmCj8jo[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDx5FvSJ0Kg[/media]

Glad to hear that they are going to explain some of the mysterious of the story, that was one of the things I didn't like about the first game.

Finally got around to listening to the first episode of the second season of the Full Moon Show and they mentioned a few corrections to some of the news going around. The first one was that the Chameleon that was mentioned as one of the new vehicles isn't a vehicle, but a new enemy that can become invisible. The other was that the classes that were mentioned weren't for online play, at least not at the moment, but for co-op. The other thing they mentioned is that they're already done building the single-player levels, though that's mostly just basic stuff right now, so they've still got a lot to work on, but that's mostly gameplay stuff and balancing the levels.

so is this game gonna have some bosses?

not flying things in an exploding room that die after a few shots.

make some super EPIC battles please

[quote name='Furashu']so is this game gonna have some bosses?

not flying things in an exploding room that die after a few shots.

make some super EPIC battles please[/quote]

From GI:

"Bosses are generally not the domain of first-person shooters, which generally focus on run and gun gameplay. We want to break things up and include these monstrous bosses-things that are much larger than anything you saw in Resistance 1."

Hopefully they can pull it off.

I didn't see anything too subtle - only the screens that say "12 new Chimeran Enemies" and another that says "0708" - meaning a demo or release in July?

[quote name='mykevermin']I didn't see anything too subtle - only the screens that say "12 new Chimeran Enemies" and another that says "0708" - meaning a demo or release in July?[/quote]
Highly doubt a release in July since they've said it's a fall release, but what big event takes place in July? ;)

Here's the list I've seen getting passed around:

Anyways, i fixed some of the stuff. Some points are jokes, some points are serious. It’s upto you to decide:

1. Level 5 reveals that Hale is lactose Intolerant
2. Chimeran Jerky Licensing Deal (lol wtf?)
3. Dancing Hybrid Minigame
icon_razz.gif

4. Project Abraham is real
5. Anything about (???????)
6. 12 New Chimeran Enemies
7. 07/08
8. Hybrids wear pants due to tougher (????)
9. Swifton Blade
10. Dynamic Moustache System (????)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/20/resistance-2-first-look-multiplayer-classes/

Insomniac has a new post on the Sony Blog with a brief look at multiplayer classes, at least in concept art form:

We’ve got a new Full Moon Show podcast up on the Insomniac Games site that readers of the PlayStation.Blog just might take an interest in ;-). This week’s show focuses on the process of going from concept to reality in Resistance 2.

We’ve also posted a couple of new concept art pieces for you to take a look at as well as the final logos for Resistance 2! The Spec Ops and Medic images come from our co-op multiplayer classes. On the show, we discuss these pieces and how important concept art is in the game creation process. In addition, we have one of our concept artists, Brian Yam, who was responsible for all the pretty pictures you drooled over in the Game Informer R2 cover story. Besides the Resistance 2 update, we talk to Lorne Lanning from Oddworld Inhabitants and we’ll update you on Insomniac community happenings – including the launch of a community-driven fan magazine.

Also – one other fun announcement for you Facebook fanatics – you can now become a fan of Resistance 2 on Facebook! Hit this link to check it out.

Also, if you're interested in when Brian Intihar shows up on the show, he's supposed to be on the next show two weeks from today.

not that it matters much, but i thought id share that this game is going to sell me a ps3 when the mgs4 bundles come out.

I am convinced that the gameplay/plot will be excellent, the ONLY thing I am hoping for is that the colors are more vibrant. There seemed to be an overcast/dullness to everything in the first one, at least to me.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Those SS's look nice. Can't wait especially w/the 8 player online co-op. Wonder what the new video gonna be this Friday.[/quote]
The promo just calls it a teaser trailer, so it may not have much in it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The promo just calls it a teaser trailer, so it may not have much in it.[/quote]

However, it will have a date at the end of it that will tell us when we will see more of the game.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']However, it will have a date at the end of it that will tell us when we will see more of the game.[/quote]
Really? I haven't heard about that.

We'll be getting our first look at the gameplay on June 13, also exclusive to GameTrailers TV. I'd guess that the game will be playable at E3, as well, so there should be a lot of info from that point onward.

Word is Killzone in September, but I doubt that and it has been in no way confirmed.

Resistance 2 in the Fall. The way I see it, Resistance 2 in the Fall, KZ2 in the Winter.

Sony will try to space these two releases out since they're two big PS3 exclusive FPS games, but having both of them this year is still a big win since they both have different playstyles, settings, and feel. KZ2 is more cover based and had tigher environments, Resistance in general was a bit more run and gun with larger environments.

Just as a heads-up from last week's Full Moon Show, look for multiplayer info from the European media that attends the Sony event this upcoming week. They will get the chance to play some multiplayer and see a new trailer, some of which will be used in the gameplay trailer GT's showing next month.

[quote name='Vanigan']Word is Killzone in September, but I doubt that and it has been in no way confirmed.

Resistance 2 in the Fall. The way I see it, Resistance 2 in the Fall, KZ2 in the Winter.

Sony will try to space these two releases out since they're two big PS3 exclusive FPS games, but having both of them this year is still a big win since they both have different playstyles, settings, and feel. KZ2 is more cover based and had tigher environments, Resistance in general was a bit more run and gun with larger environments.[/QUOTE]

Resistance is more arcadey and action oriented and KZ2 is more tactical. If people don't look at like that, it makes resistance seem like its gameplay is dated... since we're all into the tactical FPS games now.

The many Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 players will disagree with you. ;)

Besides, we've seen nothing of Resistance 2's gameplay, and they've been saying that this time cover is more useable. I don't think they'll change the forumula too much, but I suspect we'll see players better able to use tactics, rather than the emphasis on run and gun in the prior.

The AI was basic in R1, but that's not a bad thing since it was challenging and was meant to work in numbers more than anything. Honestly, it was about the same, if not slightly better than the various 3 word military game AIs (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc...). The real good stuff was that since there were more than 1 type of Chimeran, we got some extra stuff beyond that lemming AI.

Since they took the time to individually mention improved AI routines in R2, I think we can assume there'll be significant AI improvements. Especially if, from what they say, the game lets players (and hopefully AI) use cover better.

There were many times I got so annoyed by trying to duck behind a low sandbag wall in R1, with my view completely obscured by the low wall, but somehow I kept on getting shot by enemies on the other side of it (at a distance, and not using the auger).

I never did have that problem :whistle2:k

I honestly didn't use the Auger much til' I got around to Superhuman mode, sniper rifle was mucho fun to use, but I found the bullseye/carbine to be my best friends.

Rocket Launcher w/ air brake + mini-missile action made the larger enemies pretty easy to deal with, and btw, if they can make enemies to top the fire-ball launching dude, as well as the way he dies, then I'mma have one heck of a time playing R2.

Too bad I passed on the chance to QA the game :/

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167708&p=37

1up has a good preview up for the MP portion of the game:

Resistance 2 came out for its first public viewing at Sony's PlayStation Day in London and we took the opportunity to try it out. While only a limited multiplayer demo, what we played left us with plenty to be excited about. Considering a good six months worth of development time remain to polish and perfect things before this fall's release, the game already looks impressive, easily equaling the standard of the original. That amounts to no small feat for a game supporting 60 players running around vast levels with a variety of crazy weapons, but developer Insomniac Games has its sights set higher. President and CEO Ted Price says that there's plenty of new technology yet to add to the game. As far as he's concerned these are still the early days.

Extensive community features figure to be a big part of the online component. Plans center on making myresistance.net a hub for online players built around the sort of social features that drive popular sites like Facebook. Price declined to go into detail, but expect Resistance 2 to become the flagship online title for PS3, and not solely for its 60-player battles.

Price did offer a little deeper insight on the design direction behind the large-scale battles planned for competitive online. Because the chaos of full 30 on 30 battles would detract from much of the potential fun, combat comes down to what he called battles within battles. Each side in the conflict consists of smaller squads, but more than that, these squads get individual tasks assigned to them. The result pits squads against each other vying to achieve a number of different goals around the battlefield simultaneously.

The demo level we played showed these micro-battles in full effect. Set in a forest of giant trees with small houses, our team had to defend a blue energy core from the opposing team. A standard arrow popped up to guide us to the base and get in position. Once secured, things get a little more complex. We could stay and defend that point, move to secure the next objective, or move to help another squad on our team that was in trouble. This sense of having real choices to make that mattered to the outcome helped make it feel like we were doing our part in something of a far bigger scale. Voice chat with your squadmates and the intimacy of the fighting also keeps things up close and personal.

And that's a perfect range at which to enjoy all the toys you get to play with. One particularly interesting new feature which Price called a "berserk" sees you earning points in battle by taking down enemies and making sure you execute your orders. That last part provides another incentive for sticking together as a group. Once these points fill up your gauge you can activate a special power-up. In this demo only an energy shield was available, but the plan calls for several different ones. How exactly you get them and whether certain powers might be tied to your character class remains to be decided as part of Insomniac's ongoing tuning.

In its present form the shield proved plenty effective, particularly coupled with the new minigun. We could run up on a group of defenders, pop the shield, and then mow them down in a hail of bullets, Predator-style...very cool. Along with new weapons we also got a hint of some of the changes to old favorites. The auger gun with its projectiles that slowly burrow through walls now features an X-ray sight for targeting hidden enemies. Controls also have seen some changes. A simple toggle system that lets you swap between two weapons with the triangle button replaces the old radial menu for managing your arsenal. And a nifty little new Sixaxis addition lets you flick the controller to the left to open the map and to the right to call up the scoreboard. This worked surprisingly better than you might suspect in action.

The demo came to an end all too soon, though, which says a lot about how immediately addictive it already is. That alone bodes well for the final game, but it's only a small part of the full package. There's still both co-op and singleplayer campaigns that we haven't seen at all yet. Between now and its presumed November release, Resistance 2 still holds plenty more for us to find out about.

As a reminder, GameTrailers TV will be showing off the first glimpse of the single-player tonight along with multiplayer stuff, too, as tonight's show is all about Insomniac and the game.

Game looks seriously amazing. The first one was so amazing of a game that im sure R2 is going to just be absolutely fantastic. Insomniac does not disappoint.

the game is getting absolutely bashed on neogaf for it's graphics. Why I have no idea, I don't think it looks as good as Killzone 2 but what does? It looks good graphically and looks to have a great MP and interesting SP.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']the game is getting absolutely bashed on neogaf for it's graphics. Why I have no idea, I don't think it looks as good as Killzone 2 but what does? It looks good graphically and looks to have a great MP and interesting SP.[/quote]
You got a link?

I'm amazed they would attempt to try and bash this game, everything from the trailer impressed me and I'm really looking forward to the game.

bread's done
Back