Retail Employee Stories Part 6: The Life & Tragedies Of GrilledWitOnions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='iambeaker']It was about 8:57 (we close at nine) when this exchange happens.

ME: Sorry for the long wait, sir. We have been terribly busy. What can I do for you?
SC: First of all, you can get me a new phone, this phone sucks. Second of all, you can credit my account for my time I had to spend in the store.
ME: Well, let's take a look at your phone, what is wrong with it?
SC: I don't work, dumb @$$...
ME: Does it not turn on? Does it not make phone calls?
SC: You tell me.
ME: Well, I would need to see the phone. May I see it?
SC: No, you got computers, FIX MY PHONE!!!
ME: Well, Sir, as you know I have to have your physical phone in my hand to do anything... (Duh)
SC: Dammit, it is in my truck.

SC leaves, and I sit here, knowing that when he comes back, there will be a fight. My coworkers know what is going to happen next, so they get a good seat for the fight.

SC: (throws me the phone) Fix it NOW!!!
ME: (Looking at the phone) Well, sir, there are a couple of reasons that we can't help you in this issue. First of all, this is not a Sprint phone, your phone says that it belongs to Verizon. Second of all, even if this phone was a Sprint phone, our service department is closed, therefore, it wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. Third, this phone was clearly damaged by water (it took the battery off and the water dripped from the phone). Therefore, the phone most likely won't be covered under any warranty.
SC: Listen here you f-g, you will get me out of here tonight with a phone or there will be trouble.
ME: Sir, the only way you will get a phone tonight is if you were to start service with Sprint, or you might go to Verizon and see what options they might have for you
SC: I went to Verizon and they were closed, your companies all run on the same network, just get me a phone.
ME: We don't support your phone, sir. The only way to get you a phone is if you activate service with Sprint, Now sir, I need to know what you would like to do.
SC: SEE!!!! I knew it, you are just trying to get rid of me so you can close, I know you can fix my phone. I got my phone here less than six months ago, and I drove six hours to get my phone fixed. I am a trucker, and if i am without my phone, I lose money.
ME: Sir, I am sorry. See we are Sprint (pointing to the logo on my shirt and desk), and you are with Verizon (pointing to the logo on his phone). We don't service your phone.
SC: I see how it is, you want me to continue to pay $500 bills and you refuse to service my phone when it is broken b/c you want to go home and f---k your brother.
ME: Sir, please leave immediately (I start walking to the door to unlock it).

Needless to say, this was not what the customer wanted to hear. He proceeds to try and fight me. My coworkers hit the silent alarm and cops showed up right away and arrested the guy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must have the self-discipline of a monk. If someone threw a phone at me I would've killed them.

We had some guy call us up yesterday and scream my section managers ear off because a club he had ordered had not arrived at our store in what he deemed as a timely manner. The problem is, he went to a different store and ordered the club and demanded it be shipped to our store. He never bothered to mention this...he just launched into his tirade the second my manager picked up the phone. I love people.

I had a guy today look like he was about to burst into tears because the type of tee he wanted was not in stock. This was of course coupled with the back-handed comment about our store..."everytime I come here, they never have what I want." I found his effing tees...

Lastly, more of a rant. Why is it that when I am about to leave to go home (but we're not closing, I'm just done my shift) that I am always needed to assist somebody who is completely clueless about the game of golf and they deem it my job to go through and explain every frigging detail about the sport to them, and repeat myself *multiple* times because they just cannot grasp the apparent Ancient Latin I am speaking. There is never a co-worker around to pass them off to either, it becomes rather frustrating.

[quote name='P00PONABuN']
Lastly, more of a rant. Why is it that when I am about to leave to go home (but we're not closing, I'm just done my shift) that I am always needed to assist somebody who is completely clueless about the game of golf and they deem it my job to go through and explain every frigging detail about the sport to them, and repeat myself *multiple* times because they just cannot grasp the apparent Ancient Latin I am speaking. There is never a co-worker around to pass them off to either, it becomes rather frustrating.[/QUOTE]
What's so complicated about golf? You hit a small ball with a club until it goes in a hole, avoiding places that would be hard/impossible to hit from, with the object being to get to the hole hitting it the least amount of times possible. It's not rocket science. o_o

Quick one here. There was a lady complaining the other night that our bottle return machines weren't working. Usually we have baggers go and fix them, but as this was at night after all the baggers had gone home, we had to wait until the maintenance guy could come and fix them. Apparently, this extra wait time was too much for the lady. Her great idea:

Call the cops.

And the worst part is, they actually showed up. All she had told them was there was an emergency at the store, and they needed to come right away. Three cop cars, a fire truck and an ambulance, for a fucking broken bottle machine. She wanted the store manager and the maintenance guy arrested. They ended up writing her a ticket. I wish they would have arrested her.

The funny thing is, she's a regular. She was in the store then next day.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Quick one here. There was a lady complaining the other night that our bottle return machines weren't working. Usually we have baggers go and fix them, but as this was at night after all the baggers had gone home, we had to wait until the maintenance guy could come and fix them. Apparently, this extra wait time was too much for the lady. Her great idea:

Call the cops.

And the worst part is, they actually showed up. All she had told them was there was an emergency at the store, and they needed to come right away. Three cop cars, a fire truck and an ambulance, for a fucking broken bottle machine. She wanted the store manager and the maintenance guy arrested. They ended up writing her a ticket. I wish they would have arrested her.

The funny thing is, she's a regular. She was in the store then next day.[/QUOTE]

I REFUSE to believe this...

[quote name='P00PONABuN']We had some guy call us up yesterday and scream my section managers ear off because a club he had ordered had not arrived at our store in what he deemed as a timely manner. The problem is, he went to a different store and ordered the club and demanded it be shipped to our store. He never bothered to mention this...he just launched into his tirade the second my manager picked up the phone. I love people.

I had a guy today look like he was about to burst into tears because the type of tee he wanted was not in stock. This was of course coupled with the back-handed comment about our store..."everytime I come here, they never have what I want." I found his effing tees...[/QUOTE]

Having worked in a golf store during my high school and college summer vacation years, I totally sympathize.

[quote name='Scorch']Never doubt the stupidity of a customer.[/QUOTE]

I think the statement is not only for a customer but a csr too.. basically people in general. :)

[quote name='bfauble83']I REFUSE to believe this...[/QUOTE]

I don't see whats not to believe. It happens all the time, but people will usually tell the cops over the phone exactly why they want them to come. It's happened because one of our cashiers refused to honor a coupon that was three years out of date. The cops never showed because that customer told them over the phone that we wouldn't take her coupon, and that's false advertising (!) and the cashier should be ticketed (!!)

This last customer called the cops, said there was an emergency at the store, and hung up. So they showed up this time.

There have been news stories of customers being arrested for calling 9-1-1 for non-emergencies. The lady who called because McDonald's ran out of chicken. She called THREE TIMES. I mean, good lord. There's a McDonald's every 4 or 5 miles down the road, drive to another one!

Oh, and..........TWO new blog posts!! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back