Retail Employee Stories Part 7: "I'm Not Supposed To Be Here Today!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't know anything about this shit but I need something called a playstation360 for my kid"

Sorry, we don't have those:lol:

[quote name='Regian']
For the sake of this being a long post, I'm going to take a break here. I'll post part two of the story later...

...when she returns to the store a few months later.

Part 2 coming perhaps Monday or Tuesday.[/QUOTE]
:cry:

God i love this story.

I got a few hears one.

I used to work at a A&P when I was still in high school. I first worked as a cashier. And I still had like two hours on my shift left and my friend had like 30 minutes plus he had to gather all the carts in the parking lot.
Now the town I worked in was full of rich snotty people that think if you work at a store you should bow down to them. Not to mention if your half-black like me. Cause we look like the help anyway. Don't we?

She a snotty lady walks up in my lane which is like 12 or less with 20 items. I didn'ty complain because sometimes these ladies get a little peeved at you and start to raise hell at a something they know is wrong and posted on a sign above my head.

I proceed to start to ring her up while Im talking to my friend. I ask him to bag and he says no. So we start to joke around about him bagging and the lady out of nowhere goes "Well leave then. He'll bag them" she points to me. Me and my friend give each other looks like WTF.

My friend leaves to go do carts and I finish ringing her up and she leaves looking a lil pissed.

Then a minute later she comes storming back into the store looking like a mad woman.
Im cleaning my station and she yells.
''There's a whole bunch or carts in the back of my car and I cant get out." Shes yelling a I see a lil spittle coming out and Im a lil scared.

I walk out side and see a long row of carts about 100 long behind her car. I look around the parking lot for my friend and see him at the other end of the store taking a break. I laugh inside like a crazy mad, but give her a smile and tell her Ill move them.

We laughed it later with all the other staff.

It may not seem like a lot but to us it was a small victory againist the royal a-holes that walk around like the boss.

^ People do things like that because people let them get away with it. If stores didn't cater to the customer to the point of insanity, customers would probably be a little more courteous and not so asshole-ish.

Why do customers become crazy during Christmas time? Anyway, I work at Blockbuster..

A customer and her boyfriend come up to the counter and want to rent movies.

Me: You guys do know there's a balance of $16.04 on your account for a movie that wasn't returned, right?
Customer 1 (the girlfriend): Really? What's that for?
Me: It was for Wall-E that was never returned.
Customer 1: We probably have it at home, can I return it later?
Me: Sure, just make sure you return it soon, but there is another problem. There's another movie on your account that you own. You were charged for it about 2 months ago.
Customer 2 (boyfriend): Why do we own it? The movie is not in our posession and I won't pay for it.
Me: But you already paid for it.
Customer 2: I TOLD YOU I WON'T PAY FOR IT!
Me: Ok, but here. Take the movie anyway... You paid for it already.
Customer 2: I TOLD YOU I WON'T PAY FOR IT! AND NOW I DON'T WANT THAT MOVIE. KEEP IT.
(Customer 2 walks out the door and I'm sitting there just thinking to myself "Really?")
Customer 1: Sorry about that. We'll be back later.
(We see the girlfriend walk outside and start yelling at her boyfriend for being an asshole and then they leave)
*30 minutes later the phone rings
Caller: Can I speak to Joe?
Me: You're speaking to him.
Caller: I just wanted to apologize for yelling before.

What's worse? His stupidity or the fact that his girlfriend made him call and apologize?

And then 2 days later I got yelled at by an old hag for answering the phone and not ringing her up. She was next in line and my coworker was also ringing with me at the time. He was just about to finish up the customer and instead of waiting another 3 seconds, the old hag started yelling at me for answering the phone and trying to help a customer. People can really get rude during Christmas season.

I used to work for a large garden centre chain in the UK, as well as plants and garden related paraphenalia, they also sell pet produce (inc livestock then) giftwares etc.
The also had a franchise on site that sold everything you could need for fish, tanks, ponds etc.
I worked there for approx 1 year before becoming a manager of the pet dept. and general gopher in all other areas.

Now to the stories. Gonna start with nice ones before we get to the arseholes.

Call is put through to my extension.

me: good afternoon, pet dept, can I help?
C: Yes.
me:.......... what can I do for you?
C: My fish tank is green and the fish are dead!
Me: I'm sorry to hear that but unfortunately I can't help.........
C: (interrupts) well put me through to the pet dept.
Me: This is the pet dept but we don't deal with fish, there is a franchise on site that does, I can give you the number?
C: No, just transfer my call.
me: I'm afraid I can't do that, they're a different company, you have to call them directly as they have a different number.
C: Well its not good enough, you should go and get someone from there.
Me: I'm sorry, I can't do that, you need to call them yourself. Would you like the number?
C: There's no point, the fish are already dead. (hangs up)

I had that on a regular basis.
-------------------------------------

On one occassion I managed to break 2 of my fingers on the pen that the rabbits were in. A dept full of customers who all went a bit green.
Since I was in the middle of a transaction at the time, I had to finish it or void it.
The woman I was serving was very surprised I did and the other customers were understanding and went to the main checkout area to pay for their purchases. It was only when I got back to work a couple of days later that the manager called me into the office. The woman I'd been serving had gone to the managers, told them what happened and that I had finished serving her, written a lovely letter and he handed me an envelope. She'd put £20 in there for me!

-------------------------------

When the original pet dept. manager left through sickness, I was promoted but because she was such a bitch, she hadn't taught me anything useful, ie ordering, booking deliveries in etc. So when she left, it was a crash course of learning, since it was assumed I knew, since I should've been shown how these things work. There was no one to cover me so I'd ended up working 6 weeks straight without a day off when this next one occured.

It was about 4.30pm and I'd finally gotten to go for my lunch. I was sat upstairs in the staff room having eaten my lunch and enjoying a smoke and a cup of tea (how very british of me! :lol:) when a large number of staff burst in all excited.

T = them. M = me, H = Him

T: Squashed Frog, you gotta come downstairs, there's a film star in the pet shop!!!
M: Which one?
T: Oh he was in that film, y'know.......
M: looks blankly.
T: oh you'll know him!!
M: lovely...... be there in a sec, gonna finish my smoke first.
T: (arguing amongst themselves) It's Hugh Grant! No it's not, its...... Grant something tho!
M: Well if it's Hugh, find out if his mum is here and tell her to tell him, I'll be there in a sec! (His mum was my french teacher)
T: Ooooh hurry!!!
(they all rush off to watch him on the security cameras)
I go into the pet shop and apologise for making him wait.
Me: Hi, sorry for the delay.
H: No problem we were laughing at that card (points out a birthday card or mine on the side with a joke on the front) Were you really only just having your lunch?
M: Yes, its been a bit insane here today.
H: Oh I'm sorry, we didn't call you down early did we?
M: No, I made you wait while I finished chewing *laughs*
H: We heard you have dog kennels for large dogs.
M: *pulls out catalogue of handmade kennels* How large a dog are we talking?
H: BIG! *indicates with hands*
M: Oh blimey. We can get kennels that size but I'd have to order one since we don't have room to store it and its not a called for item.
H: Hmmm ok.
M: I can call some other nearby centres and see if they have one if you'd like?
H: Would you really, I don't want to be a pain?
M: Of course, give me a minute and I'll see what I can do.

I call around and find one reasonably nearby. They put a reserve on it for me.

M: Well they have one at its not far away.
H: Thats ok, I know where it is.
M: When you go in, ask for Pip and tell her I sent you from here and she'll sort you out.

Charming man indeed. And I got some flowers thanking me for not swooning at him or brown nosing him and actually thanking me for making him wait rather than falling over myself because he happened to be well known.

And the other members of staff still couldn't work out who he was!

----------------------------------

Also, I'm a total dunce when it comes to computer games, I mean I play them but not often and don't much care if I win/lose etc.
Rather than making game store employees want to kill me, I ask all my stupid questions to google (which is how I ended up here in the first place)
You'd think others might try that, if only to not look like they were regularly dropped on their heads as infants.

No it wasn't Hugh Grant, although he was a regular customer and caused lots of screaming and swooning when he visited, it was Richard E Grant.

[quote name='DarkRider23']People can really get rude during Christmas season.[/QUOTE]

I believe that they're just more apt to be their true selves during the Christmas season.

Well, he referred to the person as "Him" after talking about Hugh Grant. So I figure it was either Hugh Grant or Jesus Christ.

Back again with the not so nice stories, since I used all my good ones already.
I'll prefix with this, there is a huge petsmart on the main road about 3 mins drive from where I worked.

Woman comes in, buys an extending dog lead in clear packaging so you can see the colour. She's known for being awkward but is fine with me so I serve her, she is happy with the purchase and leaves.
About 2 days later, she comes in again -storms in might be more accurate- slams the lead on the counter and launches into a rant at my manager.

CW - crazy woman, M - manager

CW: I want a refund!!!!
M: Is there something wrong with this? *she opens up the lead and starts testing it*
CW: It's green!!!
*everyone else looks confused*
CW: I don't like green!!!
M: Well it was green when you purchased it.
CW: *screaming like a banshee at this point* I don't like green, I want another.
M: I can't exchange it because it's green, thats the colour you picked. I can only replace or refund it if it's damaged or faulty.
CW: Well it's cheaper in petsmart.

At this point I should point out that she has to drive PAST petsmart to get to us.

CW: You HAVE to refund me the difference.
M: No I don't. We don't offer a price match or any other sort of deal like that.
CW: *15 minute tirade about how she works in customer service and knows everything and we're breaking the law. Swearing like a sailor and calling the manager all the names under the sun.*
M: look woman. We do not offer what you want, if you're not happy, write to head office, otherwise, get the hell out of my store. If its cheaper in petsmart than you should've gotten in there rather than coming here and complaining all the time. *manager walks off, leaving me as the target*
CW: I'm never shopping here again!!!
Me: Ok, I'll cancel your order then shall I?
CW husband: No, I'll pick it up on tuesday.

Crazy woman came in herself and collected her order, as nice as pie.

-------------------------

3 teens walk in, start looking at the budgies in the aviary. They ask the price and if they're for sale, I tell them (even though its on a POS in front of them pinned to the aviary :roll:) They ask if I have cages, I say yes and show them the ones we have. Boy seems to be adding it all up in his head. He walks out the store for a while.
This is quite common, people come in ask for lots of info, do a mental estimation and leave again.
Comes back about 10 mins later. 'I wanna buy a budgie'. I ask his age as its against the law to sell livestock to anyone under 16 without an adult with them. He says he's 15. I tell him he needs to bring a parent or guardian with him and he can then have a budgie. Boy then goes into rant about how I know he wanted one and I shouldn't have told him he could have one - I didn't say that - I tell him if he comes in with an adult he can buy one but its not legal for me to sell it to him, he asks if he can bring a note. I tell him no, because all he'll do is go away for a while, write a note and come back. He storms out and comes back a few minutes later with about 10 of his friends and threatening me, saying he can 'do me' if I don't give him what he wants. I tell him that this big man act might make him look tough with his friends but he's acting like a spoilt brat and if he continues to do so I will have him thrown out of the centre and he won't ever get a budgie.
They all start crowding around me then, all mouthing off when the door to the back room opens. One of the nursery staff walk in, about 6'5, nicknamed Lurch and asks if there's a problem. They all run for a mile.

At closing that same day, a parent of said thug came in and spoke to the site manager, saying I was rude etc etc that I should be repremanded for my actions etc. I was standing at the info desk at the time. Site manager, Carol, asks me the law on selling livestock to kids. I tell her, I also tell her that her son is a thug. She's about to go off on one when Carol tells her there is surveillance (since the pet dept is well away from the main shop. You can easily go all day without seeing another member of staff) she demands to see it. She then drags her boy in from the car with a tear streaked face, forces him to apologise and clips him upside the ear while dragging him out and giving him a serious lecture.

That is so awesome. Mom came off her high horse and gave it to the boy. Maybe she will call all the parents of said thugs friends parents.

Nice to see justice in the world and a parent that believes her child can do wrong.

Had to Google Budgie. Cute bird.

Worked last night on Christmas Eve. I wished a table "Merry Christmas" and they said, "You too" with a smile.

Left me $0.00 for a tip and wrote "I'm Jewish" on their receipt.

People like that piss me off because:
1. We aren't living in Germany in the 1940s when Jews were identifiable because of yellow star patches - how am I supposed to know?
2a. I'm trying to be nice - if someone wished me a Happy Chanukah I would politely say, "Same to you" and just leave it at that.
No reason to be a prick. A tip is based on service, not correct identification of your religious preferences. Also, if it offended you, don't be a bigger prick by pretending nothing's wrong and then leaving a little note proving otherwise.
2b. It's Christmas-fucking-Eve! Wouldn't it be logical to say "Merry Christmas"?
3. The majority of America celebrates Christmas. If you are not in the majority, you don't celebrate Christmas and want to ensure I know that, just tell me and then I can wish you a happy holiday more appropriate to your religion, or simply a good evening.

[quote name='randomoutburst']Worked last night on Christmas Eve. I wished a table "Merry Christmas" and they said, "You too" with a smile.

1. We aren't living in Germany in the 1940s when Jews were identifiable because of yellow star patches - how am I supposed to know?
2a. I'm trying to be nice - if someone wished me a Happy Chanukah I would politely say, "Same to you" and just leave it at that.
No reason to be a prick. A tip is based on service, not correct identification of your religious preferences. Also, if it offended you, don't be a bigger prick by pretending nothing's wrong and then leaving a little note proving otherwise.
2b. It's Christmas-fucking-Eve! Wouldn't it be logical to say "Merry Christmas"?
3. The majority of America celebrates Christmas. If you are not in the majority, you don't celebrate Christmas and want to ensure I know that, just tell me and then I can wish you a happy holiday more appropriate to your religion, or simply a good evening.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they left "I'm Jewish" as in, "I'm cheap" so I don't want to tip you

Not saying they were right, but.. "Merry Christmas" is kind of an exclusive saying. You're excluding everyone that's not Christian, that's a lot of people. You should probably say Happy Holidays or something like that if you don't want to risk offending people.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Not saying they were right, but.. "Merry Christmas" is kind of an exclusive saying. You're excluding everyone that's not Christian, that's a lot of people. You should probably say Happy Holidays or something like that if you don't want to risk offending people.[/QUOTE]
Yeah "Happy Holidays" is the great PC holiday term, but ironically I've had people get angry about it. Every now and then, someone will give me the evil eye and correct me with "Don't you mean MERRY CHRISTMAS?" :roll: Can't make everyone happy...

[quote name='Cheapass24']Maybe they left "I'm Jewish" as in, "I'm cheap" so I don't want to tip you[/QUOTE]

Ripping good post. That was the first thing I assumed.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Not saying they were right, but.. "Merry Christmas" is kind of an exclusive saying. You're excluding everyone that's not Christian, that's a lot of people. You should probably say Happy Holidays or something like that if you don't want to risk offending people.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people who aren't religious or Christian still celebrate Christmas. It is much more of a cultural holiday than a religious one.

Plenty of people don't celebrate Christmas. Just say "have a good holiday!" and be done with it. I don't find that to be as corny as "Happy Holidays!"

[quote name='Cheapass24']Maybe they left "I'm Jewish" as in, "I'm cheap" so I don't want to tip you[/QUOTE]

In my experience of working restaurants, the people who don't celebrate Xmas usually get really mad, and make a big deal of it if you should dare tell them, "merry Xmas." I've never had them leave something so classy as a note on a receipt, these kinds of people are usually loud and obnoxious...sounds like they were just being cheap assholes, I really doubt they were Jewish.

I still tell people "Merry Xmas," but only if they say it to me first. It eliminates alot of the hassle. And I dont bother to say "Happy Holidays," that's too much work. I just tell the customers "thank you and have a good day!" as they go out the door.

I hate stupid parents sometimes, not mine, but ones who don't know how to act around their kids.

So, christmas eve of course, and it's hectic, people are crazy, but the day was going pretty good until I see a guy with his three youngish kids and a fruit by the foot box. The guy hasn't gone through the registers yet and he's opened up the box and started to give them to the kids, I'm annoyed but say to myself that I'll just keep an eye on him and make sure he buys it. 5 minutes later, I see him in the same spot, with a huge strip of the fruit by the foot stuff on the ground where he'd thrown it. I get really annoyed and walked off but turned back around after 5 feet, picked up the litter and tapped him on the shoulder, "Excuse me sir, I think you dropped this," and handed it to him, he looked like he wanted to murder me.

So about 10 minutes more goes by and I'm chatting with a coworker, I look over to where the guy is and I can see that his kids are playing around in the pallets, (because it'd been busy, we'd faced things up so there was some space behind stuff) and it's just plain dangerous to have them back there so I immediately headed over to them to tell them such. I walk up to him and tell him that the kids can't be back there as it's dangerous for them and he needs to get them out of there. He says absolutely nothing while I say it, just looks down still saying nothing, and not even 2 seconds later, the kid pushes over 6 tv's from the back so that they all fall onto the ground, potentially breaking every single one of them. I of course go over to pick them up as the father mutters sorry and drags his kids away. I chat with a manager later and they said that we couldn't do anything.

[quote name='momouchi']A lot of people who aren't religious or Christian still celebrate Christmas. It is much more of a cultural holiday than a religious one.[/QUOTE]

It is mostly Christians that celebrate Christmas man.. Jews don't really celebrate Christmas, Muslims don't really celebrate it. I know the corporations are trying to make it into a non-denominational holiday, but is a Christian holiday. To assume that everyone celebrates Christmas is just ignorant. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. If you don't care about Jesus, why would you care about Christmas?

[quote name='PhrostByte']It is mostly Christians that celebrate Christmas man.. Jews don't really celebrate Christmas, Muslims don't really celebrate it. I know the corporations are trying to make it into a non-denominational holiday, but is a Christian holiday. To assume that everyone celebrates Christmas is just ignorant. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. If you don't care about Jesus, why would you care about Christmas?[/QUOTE]

I didn't say everyone celebrated Christmas. I just said you don't have to be Christian. My family isn't religious at all, but we still have Christmas parties with the rest of the non-religious family, exchange gifts, and sing Christmas carols. Clearly I don't care much about Jesus since I'm not Christian, but I still celebrate the holiday. You really shouldn't call someone ignorant when you don't understand what they are talking.

Anyway, sorry for the rant guys. Back to the horror stories!

[quote name='PhrostByte']It is mostly Christians that celebrate Christmas man.. Jews don't really celebrate Christmas, Muslims don't really celebrate it. I know the corporations are trying to make it into a non-denominational holiday, but is a Christian holiday. To assume that everyone celebrates Christmas is just ignorant. Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus. If you don't care about Jesus, why would you care about Christmas?[/QUOTE]

fuck Jesus. I care about, and celebrate, Christmas because it's a fun holiday where I get to spend time with my family, exchange gifts, cook and eat an amazing meal, and go out and enjoy the seasonal decorations, music, and cheer. To assume that non-Christians *don't* celebrate Christmas is just as ignorant.

Considering that the nearly 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians or some form of it and the Jews sit at a massive 1.5% or less and muslums even less I dont think its that many people. I am still amazed at how people walk on eggshells around these people when they make up less than 1% of the worlds population but account for 50% of its problems. Crazy shit man, im glad I sit in the undecided church :bouncy:

I once dated a Jewish girl who celebrated Christmas, so it isn't strictly a Christian holiday.

[quote name='Kerig']It's a shame the cashier called her out on it. If she had quietly informed security to check the lady as she was walking out, you could have seen a pretty interesting bust go down.

images
[/QUOTE]

You guys obviously haven't seen the vid of the two Best Buy employees putting the smack down on a guy trying to walk out with an LCD TV under his arm.

[quote name='gindias']Considering that the nearly 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians or some form of it and the Jews sit at a massive 1.5% or less and muslums even less I dont think its that many people. I am still amazed at how people walk on eggshells around these people when they make up less than 1% of the worlds population but account for 50% of its problems. Crazy shit man, im glad I sit in the undecided church :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

There are about twice as many Muslims as there are Chinese in the world and their numbers are growing faster than non-Muslims. That's why everyone is so afraid of them.

[quote name='CheepGamez']There are about twice as many Muslims as there are Chinese in the world and their numbers are growing faster than non-Muslims. That's why everyone is so afraid of them.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about the Muslims.

[quote name='gindias']Considering that the nearly 80% of Americans consider themselves Christians or some form of it and the Jews sit at a massive 1.5% or less and muslums even less I dont think its that many people. I am still amazed at how people walk on eggshells around these people when they make up less than 1% of the worlds population but account for 50% of its problems. Crazy shit man, im glad I sit in the undecided church :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

The majority is always right huh? Just like in Germany during the 40's.

.... Oh for heaven's sake, people used to have NO PROBLEM with others saying "Merry Christmas" until about 2 years ago, where I guess PC bullshitters decided to raise a hairy fit about it. Since when do the words count more than the sentiment? All we're trying to say through "Merry Christmas" is a sentiment of wishing them well during this particular part of the year. The people who throw a fit over this need to take the stick out of their collective asses. There are much more worthwhile things to get mad about.

[quote name='PhrostByte']The majority is always right huh? Just like in Germany during the 40's.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, we sure do see a lot of Christians enslaving people and gassing members of other religious groups these days. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheepGamez']There are about twice as many Muslims as there are Chinese in the world and their numbers are growing faster than non-Muslims. That's why everyone is so afraid of them.[/QUOTE]

There are over 2.6 billion Muslims in the world? Doubtful

Here is the info I found:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
  2. Islam: 1.5 billion
Also, I live in a jewish neighborhood and I was never offended with people saying "Happy Hannakah". I'm Catholic, but I don't correct them, its called being polite (in support of the waiter with the "I'm jewish" check).

I've actually never seen anyone get mad about someone saying merry christmas to them.

Anyways, on topic.

Had a lady skip a bunch of people in line at gamestop (I was in line) on Christmas Eve. She went to the register that a manager I know was working and wanted to buy a new game. I mouthed GIVE HER A GUTTED GAME to him, and he smiled and gave her the gutted copy much to her protest. That, a few snide remarks from other people in line, and the manager saying THANK YOU FOR PATIENTLY WAITING loudly as I came up to the register made my afternoon of shopping bearable.

[quote name='randomoutburst']Worked last night on Christmas Eve. I wished a table "Merry Christmas" and they said, "You too" with a smile.

3. The majority of America celebrates Christmas. If you are not in the majority, you don't celebrate Christmas and want to ensure I know that, just tell me and then I can wish you a happy holiday more appropriate to your religion, or simply a good evening.[/QUOTE]

Only adding my 2 cents... but no matter if your Jewish or muslim or worship the fucking spaghetti monster..... almost 99.91% of US businesses are CLOSED on Christmas... and I see nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to anyone... it's evolved into Family time than a religous holiday now.... and US honors it also as a national holiday.

To be so against it would be saying that you're unpatriotic... if we want to go to extremes.

Honestly if they were still around, I'd yell... "Are you fucking working tomorrow?"... and if they say yes then leave it at that... and if they say no, then tell them have a "Happy Merry Christmas" again.

[quote name='davo1224']It's the assumption that ticks most people off.[/QUOTE]
It's not an assumption at all. It's a wish of goodwill. And as xycury said, it's a national holiday. Even if you don't celebrate it, most people get the day off. It's not so much about Christ anymore as it is about family time, supported by the fact that Atheists and Agnostics celebrate it. And I should also mention that, so far, I haven't ticked anyone off by wishing them Merry Christmas.

Well it's not something to get pissed off about (and I don't think anyone legitimately does) but it's like hoping a gay guy scores when you see him with a chick. Sure you didn't mean anything by it other than well wishes. They just don't want/need your particular well wishes.

[quote name='davo1224']Well it's not something to get pissed off about (and I don't think anyone legitimately does) but it's like hoping a gay guy scores when you see him with a chick. Sure you didn't mean anything by it other than well wishes. They just don't want/need your particular well wishes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm not Christian and I don't get mad when people wish me a Merry Christmas, I just reply with, "Thanks you too", or something similar. BUT, the fact remains that it is an assumption. Sure, it's a national holiday and sure some non-Christians celebrate Christmas. Most non-Christians don't celebrate Christmas... because IT'S A HOLIDAY CELEBRATING THE BIRTH OF CHRIST. Regardless of what it's evolved in to, that's still what it is.. you can deny it and pretend that your concept of reality isn't the same as objective reality, but Christmas celebrates the birth of Chris. I'd personally rather someone wish me "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year" instead of "Merry Christmas", because I'm not Christian.. and I don't care about Christ or Christmas.

And this thread proves the simple truth- retail employees are screwed when it comes to the holidays. Either you say 'Merry Chirstmas' and get yelled at for not being 'sensitive to non-Christians'... or you say 'Happy Holidays' or a standard greeting and get yelled at for 'ingoring Christmas.' We can't win.

I can't wait for the Holidays to be offically over.

Is there any chance this talk about holidays vs christmas be taken elsewhere? I know it deals with retail employees in a way but this thread is for stories from the retail front lines. Thanks for your understanding.

I liked the Retail story about the mom of the guy on Survivor.

Reminds me of the Curb your enthusiasm episode where the Rabbi asks Larry David if it'd be alright if he brought over a "survivor" and Larry says it would be great that he would invite his grandfather who was in one of the concentration camps...anyways. Dinner ends up being an argument between douche-bag from Survivor Australia arguing with the real survivor..."Like, man, it was harsh out there! Like they didn't even let us have snacks!"

[quote name='xycury']Only adding my 2 cents... but no matter if your Jewish or muslim or worship the fucking spaghetti monster..... almost 99.91% of US businesses are CLOSED on Christmas... and I see nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to anyone... it's evolved into Family time than a religous holiday now.... and US honors it also as a national holiday.

To be so against it would be saying that you're unpatriotic... if we want to go to extremes.

Honestly if they were still around, I'd yell... "Are you fucking working tomorrow?"... and if they say yes then leave it at that... and if they say no, then tell them have a "Happy Merry Christmas" again.[/QUOTE]

It's also marked on the freaking calendar! If you're a stuckup easily offended Jewish non-tipper, do you demand your store be open that day so you can work? If they paid by credit card, the poster who told this story can tell us who they are. :)

[quote name='PhrostByte']Agreed. I'm not Christian and I don't get mad when people wish me a Merry Christmas, I just reply with, "Thanks you too", or something similar. BUT, the fact remains that it is an assumption. Sure, it's a national holiday and sure some non-Christians celebrate Christmas. Most non-Christians don't celebrate Christmas... because IT'S A HOLIDAY CELEBRATING THE BIRTH OF CHRIST. Regardless of what it's evolved in to, that's still what it is.. you can deny it and pretend that your concept of reality isn't the same as objective reality, but Christmas celebrates the birth of Chris. I'd personally rather someone wish me "Happy Holidays" or "Happy New Year" instead of "Merry Christmas", because I'm not Christian.. and I don't care about Christ or Christmas.[/QUOTE]

So non-Christians who get together with friends and family and hand out gifts on December 25 are just doing it randomly and arbitrarily for no reason whatsoever? Christmas has become as artificial and materialistic as Valentine's Day. I'm pretty sure you won't find Santa, Frosty and Rudolph anywhere in the Bible either. You said so yourself that it's a national holiday.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I just go with the good old "Have a nice day/night/weekend" and forget about any holiday.[/QUOTE]

You can't say that either. Don't want to offend someone who might be sad or a manic depressive.

I come from a Jewish heritage, but my family is pretty nonreligious. We celebrate Christmas instead of Hannukah. No going to Church or anything, but we have a christmas tree and give out presents n stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back