Retron 5 $39.99 at Urban Outfitters

jgibbons83

CAGiversary!
Didn't see this posted yet. Sorry if it's old news. Just picked up a retron 5 for $40 at Urban Outfitters. It wasn't out on the floor. They had to get it from the back. I called first to make sure they had it. Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, that's awesome! I was really surprised with how nice and helpful their staff was, too. Really impressive find, though. Did you just happen to see it out on display or something?
I got an insider tip from a secret source ;) SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhh.............

I got an insider tip from a secret source ;) SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhh.............
Hey, thank you so much for sharing with us!

I love my $40 R5!!!

I've read up about the emulator code scandal and it seems to not have much development since they released their source code openly.

I am now trying to figure out how to update the firmware.

No problem. I'm glad people were able to find some. I love this site for the deals people post and just wanted to share the wealth. Thanks!

I went into an Urban Outfitters today looking for this and I've never been there but goddammit every second I was in there I wanted to kill everyone else and then myself.

Wait so this only rips the games from the disc and doesn't play directly from the disc? Looking for an all in one old retro console that actually plays the games for testing, not rip them and play the roms.

Wait so this only rips the games from the disc and doesn't play directly from the disc? Looking for an all in one old retro console that actually plays the games for testing, not rip them and play the roms.
I'm not really clear if it dumps the rom, then you play that, or if it detects what game is in the slot then loads up the rom, but it is emulated. I'm guessing you are testing games before selling them. Best bet...use original hardware. I wish I had a better answer.

I'm not really clear if it dumps the rom, then you play that, or if it detects what game is in the slot then loads up the rom, but it is emulated. I'm guessing you are testing games before selling them. Best bet...use original hardware. I wish I had a better answer.
Testing for selling and for myself. Can't test games at yard sales or goodwills. Need a console to test now since buying 8+ retro consoles isn't cheap. I did get a Gamecube for $15 (w/ a Gameboy Player and start up disc) but that isn't the norm.

I'll continue looking for other retro consoles but assuming I can get the Retron 5, I'll use it and see how it deals with it.

I own a recently purchased RetroN5. I can confirm that the contact points are still very tight. I'm not sure that Hyperkin made any official announcement about fixing the problem. I do know they released a video showing people the proper way to remove cartridges from the system, which was lifting them from the side and pulling them out at an angle. 

I was a bit concerned that the system might harm my cartridges because of the super tight grip of the contact points. 

I have no need for another Retron 5 but might call around for a friend of mine who has a ton of NES carts sitting around but no NES (he literally used his last one to the point that top of it was missing). I've had one since launch and yes, the launch ones were pretty bad. I had a lot of issues with it especially where it randomly stopped reading carts unless I put a random one in from another system which was an annoying workaround. Eventually the NES pin connector broke and they replaced it. Had to pay shipping since Hyperkin is run by jerks, but the replacement unit they sent has worked fine ever since. 

The replacement still has an iron grip on the Genesis slot so make sure to be careful with it. I would hope the ones everyone are buying are the newer ones so that no one else has go through the problems I went through. 

Updating is also a mighty pain in the ass. But to sum it up, you get an sd card, put it in your Retron 5, request an update request from the console, take out the sd card, put it in your PC, upload the update request file (yes, you really have to do this), download the update file, put the SD card back in your Retron, and then you can finally update. They claimed the reason they made the update process complicated to prevent emulation and modding of their firmware. 

Testing for selling and for myself. Can't test games at yard sales or goodwills. Need a console to test now since buying 8+ retro consoles isn't cheap. I did get a Gamecube for $15 (w/ a Gameboy Player and start up disc) but that isn't the norm.

I'll continue looking for other retro consoles but assuming I can get the Retron 5, I'll use it and see how it deals with it.
chances are if a retro cartridge is unreadable the contacts are dirty or stripped. It's possible there could be other problems, but most of the time that's the problem. I'm guessing if there is a problem with the contacts the retron won't be able to read the cart and thus you have your test. Other things like battery failure might not be detected, though.

Called all the stores in my state (luckily they are all within 10 miles of each other) and said they weren't showing up in their system or online (which I knew). Oh well.

chances are if a retro cartridge is unreadable the contacts are dirty or stripped. It's possible there could be other problems, but most of the time that's the problem. I'm guessing if there is a problem with the contacts the retron won't be able to read the cart and thus you have your test. Other things like battery failure might not be detected, though.
I have not tested this but there is a function to copy saved files from the cart and to copy them back to the cart. Has anyone tried this feature? Would love to be able to play GBA game on the big screen in the weekends and continue playing on the go.

I went into an Urban Outfitters today looking for this and I've never been there but goddammit every second I was in there I wanted to kill everyone else and then myself.
I went into the Urban Outfitters nearest to me today and attempted to communicate with the people working there. At one point I felt like I might have to get a universal translator, or at least insert some "Bro! Dude!" into my dialogue but I was able to communicate.

Alas, they did not have any Retron 5s. He also didn't really seem to understand what "clearance" meant. He was also astounded that there was a video game system that played more than one game. I am almost positive he was wearing his body weight in hemp clothing.

Picked up two out here in Troy, Michigan Tues. They had me sign up for some mobile app and they have a 30% off sale going on til Apr. 19th. I went back and they priced adjusted no problem. Was $27.99 each.

Retron 5 gets a lot of hate (some deserved) but I really like mine. The second batch of Retron 5's fixed the pins issue and the updates have made the system awesome for people who have little space and want to play older games on a modern tv. The retron allows for patching so I can but famicom version of rpgs and still be able to play them in english for a fraction of the cost of getting the snes version. Here's me playing Chrono Trigger which I pad $8 for

9SPSuJE.jpg

U8ypJQI.jpg

Retron 5 gets a lot of hate (some deserved) but I really like mine. The second batch of Retron 5's fixed the pins issue and the updates have made the system awesome for people who have little space and want to play older games on a modern tv. The retron allows for patching so I can but famicom version of rpgs and still be able to play them in english for a fraction of the cost of getting the snes version. Here's me playing Chrono Trigger which I pad $8 for

Any links on how to get it patched up?

I went into the Urban Outfitters nearest to me today and attempted to communicate with the people working there. At one point I felt like I might have to get a universal translator, or at least insert some "Bro! Dude!" into my dialogue but I was able to communicate.

Alas, they did not have any Retron 5s. He also didn't really seem to understand what "clearance" meant. He was also astounded that there was a video game system that played more than one game. I am almost positive he was wearing his body weight in hemp clothing.
at the store I went to they were playing something over the store speakers that sounded like wrestler entrance music

I did not bother asking anyone about it, I just took a quick look around the store and got out asap.

at the store I went to they were playing something over the store speakers that sounded like wrestler entrance music

I did not bother asking anyone about it, I just took a quick look around the store and got out asap.
Just as an FYI, my store I found them in didnt have them out on the floor. They were in the backroom. I also took a look around when I first got there as I didnt really want to have to ask somebody but couldnt find them and only found out after asking that they were not out on the floor. Best of luck to all!

Seeing as no one else posted about it, I called the Mall of America store. They said they have been sold out of it for months.

Picked up two out here in Troy, Michigan Tues. They had me sign up for some mobile app and they have a 30% off sale going on til Apr. 19th. I went back and they priced adjusted no problem. Was $27.99 each.
So you were one of the ones that had one on hold ? I wanted to buy them all. lol

9SPSuJE.jpg

U8ypJQI.jpg
I totally forgot about the english patches, I didn't even think they had patches for US released titles. I need to start looking into this.

Weirdest deal ever, I'd check my closest one but its in the super duper rich people mall
LOL ours is too. The Fashion Mall is what it's called. All of the clothes suck, and theirs and apple store in it, that always has a ton of people in it just...in there.

I totally forgot about the english patches, I didn't even think they had patches for US released titles. I need to start looking into this.
How does the translating work?

9SPSuJE.jpg

U8ypJQI.jpg
How does this work? Do you have to supply the translation file somehow or what??

Sorry about the delay you're basically converting the japanese cart to the english version using ips patches.

retro5.net has a bunch of premade patches on it. Also the picture looks way better on my tv.

also yes there is a patch for super mario rpg

OMG! Thank you for pointing this out! I just went to UO to do return and repurchase to get the extra 30% off.

R5 for $40 is awesome, but now at $28 this is the deal of the year for me!

Thank you!!!

Hey everybody. I'm looking to purchase a Retron 5 if anyone has one to spare. I don't mind paying more than you did. Glad to help you make some profit on the deal. I'll also pay for shipping. Please hit me up if you've got one to sell. Thanks.

EDIT: I may even have some extra stuff to throw in like games and stuff. 

I can't exactly confirm this as I've only bought Famicom/Super Famicom games that were Japan only but supposedly if you insert a Japanese game that has an English version, it will dump the English version instead of the Japanese version. But yeah, who would create an English patch for a game that has a localized version already? I mean, unless the original translated script was really butchered or something. 

Games are also translated through IPS patches. If you have an SD card, you place them on there and when you insert the game, you can apply the translation patch in the game's settings. 

Oh, and in the end I decided it wasn't worth the gas to drive over to my stores so if MD/DC has any, it's all yours. I could have called, but I have no free time this weekend. :p

Has anyone found one in South Florida somewhere?  Employees here tell me the SKU is not in the system or they don't have it if I ask them by name.  I'd rather not drive to these places for nothing...

Has anyone found one in South Florida somewhere? Employees here tell me the SKU is not in the system or they don't have it if I ask them by name. I'd rather not drive to these places for nothing...
I will be checking location in Palm Beach Gardens in a few hours, will post results and leave some stock if they happen to be available.

I can't exactly confirm this as I've only bought Famicom/Super Famicom games that were Japan only but supposedly if you insert a Japanese game that has an English version, it will dump the English version instead of the Japanese version. But yeah, who would create an English patch for a game that has a localized version already? I mean, unless the original translated script was really butchered or something.

Games are also translated through IPS patches. If you have an SD card, you place them on there and when you insert the game, you can apply the translation patch in the game's settings.

Oh, and in the end I decided it wasn't worth the gas to drive over to my stores so if MD/DC has any, it's all yours. I could have called, but I have no free time this weekend. :p
The retron dumps the japanese version from the cart. What you do to create the english patch is get the japanese and english rom. You then can use Lunar IPS to create an IPS patch from the english version/.

bread's done
Back