Retron 5 $39.99 at Urban Outfitters

jgibbons83

CAGiversary!
Didn't see this posted yet. Sorry if it's old news. Just picked up a retron 5 for $40 at Urban Outfitters. It wasn't out on the floor. They had to get it from the back. I called first to make sure they had it. Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's weirdly random. If you could offer some proof of the price, it would be greatly appreciated. I called the store and they said they could sell it to me for $40, but they'd have to swipe my credit card and order it from the warehouse. I couldn't do it over the telephone and they can't find the product online either. (Auugh!)
So they can order you one in store if they don't have it there?

The system doesn't have any ROMs contained within it... if it did, they'd get sued immediately.

What he (and others) likely confused it with is that the system, before it actually plays a game, dumps the cart data into a ROM, and then plays the files from the ROM, which allows for the application of all the neat features (like save states).
Yea. I was playing 'telephone' with my past self

Re-read it

Confirmed, but better. At my local Urban Outfitter in Las Vegas they were selling for $39.99 plus 30% off. Total price was $27.99... I bought 3.[attachment=13756:image.jpg]

Just played like 4 hours of Genesis and Snes roms at my buddies yesterday on the Gamestick that I had set up for him.  So far the Gamestick and Ouya are the best I've seen for convenient emulation, especially when used with the sixaxis app to allow ps3 controllers.  The retron seems pretty awesome for what it is, and if I had an UO near me I may try to score one for novelty's sake, but android and pc emulation is so simple its really hard to recommend this to someone.

Thank you so much OP!!!!

I've been wanting to get the R5 before launch... but soon the price went over $100 and I was not willing to drop that much for a retro machine. 

$40 is so freaking awesome! 

Did I recall correctly that the R5 has some special graphic smoothing software and better sound emulation than anything before it?

FWIW, Brea Mall CA has one left, call now.

Hmm...I previously had no interest in this Retron model, but now I may have to call my local Urban Outfitters--though I'm sure they'll have no clue what the heck I'm talking about. 

Confirmed, but better. At my local Urban Outfitter in Las Vegas they were selling for $39.99 plus 30% off. Total price was $27.99... I bought 3.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Hey, save some for the rest of us! -_-

Thank you so much OP!!!!

I've been wanting to get the R5 before launch... but soon the price went over $100 and I was not willing to drop that much for a retro machine.

$40 is so freaking awesome!

Did I recall correctly that the R5 has some special graphic smoothing software and better sound emulation than anything before it?

FWIW, Brea Mall CA has one left, call now.
I'm in La Mirada, so that would've been the closest to me. I think the next closest might be Costa Mesa though... hmm...

Just remembered I have a Gamestick I havent even set up.....I think I'd rather just deal with straight up emulation than having to hunt down cartridges

Doubt it, it came out a while back that the designers basically ripped off a bunch of the normal free emulators without permission and that's what handles everything on the Retron.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/hyperkins_retron_5_console_allegedly_infringes_on_the_rights_of_multiple_emulator_authors

The system is cool for what it is. Obviously it's aimed at people who DO want to play with cartridges, giving the option of using some of the conveniences of emulators while easily being able to use actual controllers or their proprietary one, while potentially saving a lot of space since most gamers have a crowded entertainment center as is. An emulation machine is an easier and cheaper choice as long as you're fine without the original controller, not to mention the giant benefit of being able to use ROMs without the cartridge.

I've been shying away from the Retron because of the early and well known pin-connector issue, and this shady thing with the stolen code. I'd probably grab one at $40 though, but don't have any of these stores anywhere close.

Doubt it, it came out a while back that the designers basically ripped off a bunch of the normal free emulators without permission and that's what handles everything on the Retron.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/hyperkins_retron_5_console_allegedly_infringes_on_the_rights_of_multiple_emulator_authors

The system is cool for what it is. Obviously it's aimed at people who DO want to play with cartridges, giving the option of using some of the conveniences of emulators while easily being able to use actual controllers or their proprietary one, while potentially saving a lot of space since most gamers have a crowded entertainment center as is. An emulation machine is an easier and cheaper choice as long as you're fine without the original controller, not to mention the giant benefit of being able to use ROMs without the cartridge.

I've been shying away from the Retron because of the early and well known pin-connector issue, and this shady thing with the stolen code. I'd probably grab one at $40 though, but don't have any of these stores anywhere close.
Right, plus there are probably people like me who are opposed to piracy and would rather just collect the carts. Obviously that isn't possible with everything, but yknow. I think I have three copies of Aero the Acro-Bat 2. These things just happen sometimes.

Any word on if the Mall of America store has these. My younger brother is autisc but he loves 16 and 8 bit era platformers. Getting this for him would really be something he would enjoy for a long long time. I have been waiting for a price drop.

White Plains NY sold last one yesterday.  Guy I spoke to (very nice fella) checked locally, no stores in the greater NYC-ish area have any left.  Dang it.  :(

checked a urban outfitters near my house and they didn't have any , also gave the sku and she said they only have it in Toronto 0_o

im in Massachusetts haha, oh well

if someone picks me up one i will give them love ;P and by love i mean amiibos or $50 + shipping costs

please :D

Oh man I doubt Chicago has any left... if anybody is able to scoop an extra up for me then I'll pay you in pizza.

Or money. Whichever.

Just played like 4 hours of Genesis and Snes roms at my buddies yesterday on the Gamestick that I had set up for him. So far the Gamestick and Ouya are the best I've seen for convenient emulation, especially when used with the sixaxis app to allow ps3 controllers. The retron seems pretty awesome for what it is, and if I had an UO near me I may try to score one for novelty's sake, but android and pc emulation is so simple its really hard to recommend this to someone.
I've had my eye on the Gamestick for some time now. So would you or anybody else say it's hands down the better option if I don't intend to use any cartridge based games (only roms) ? I know it's easy enough to play them on my PC, but I'd rather play the on my HD TV with a PS3 controller. :)

Called the herlad square location in NYC and was told they are out. Bummer. Then again a poster here mentioned they had several in stock so I may just swing by and look for myself to be sure.

Called and the girl said they had one left on the floor. She put it on hold for me, and I'm leaving now to go pick it up.

6 or so were on hold for someone else supposedly picking them up in the morning. If there are any left tomorrow after work I may pick up more to resale.

I've had my eye on the Gamestick for some time now. So would you or anybody else say it's hands down the better option if I don't intend to use any cartridge based games (only roms) ? I know it's easy enough to play them on my PC, but I'd rather play the on my HD TV with a PS3 controller. :)
It takes some setting up and configuring to get it right (replacing the stock OS with a basic version of android, etc), but once its done I think its the best if you can still find one at a reasonable price and already have a few ps3 controllers kicking around. I was able to find 2 in my area when gamestop was selling them for $20 so I set one up for myself and another for a friend and they have been way beyond expectation so far.

If you have any questions about it you can send me a pm so we dont take up a bunch of space here. In addition to emulation it also gives you the ability to run XMBC to stream TV and movies, and also every other android app out there as well (that I've found, I'm sure that dont play nice though)

Called the Palo Alto store again, who previously claimed they were still $180. Today the person who answered was nice enough to scan the Retron while on the phone where it was $40. Managed to pick up their last two. Thanks for posting This thread OP!

They had a few left at the galleria in buffalo. Has anyone else had issues using the snes or nes controllers? The system recognizes the controllers but the buttons do not map correctly

Called all the stores in the Philly area today with no luck. Apparently someone beat me to it yesterday.

Called the downtown Gaslamp store in San Diego and no dice. The girl I spoke with said she only remembers having them over the holidays. Bummer. I would've picked one up for $40.

At 40 bucks, this should be a no-brainer. Those who were still in hesitation mode are true CAGS. I bought one from NewEgg when they went down to like 70 or something a few months ago. It's been awesome so far, and I haven't had any compatibility issues. Replayed Contra, Super Mario Land, Castlevania, and Sonic 2 on it over the last few months. 

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much op! I just got the last one at the Fashion Valley mall in San Diego. First time I've ever set foot in an Urban Outfitters. Really excited to set it up and finally play some of the old games I've been holding on to. Totally worth the price. Good luck to everyone else who's trying to get one, hope you score!

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much op! I just got the last one at the Fashion Valley mall in San Diego. First time I've ever set foot in an Urban Outfitters. Really excited to set it up and finally play some of the old games I've been holding on to. Totally worth the price. Good luck to everyone else who's trying to get one, hope you score!
Thats where I got mine from! Nice to see a local!

bread's done
Back