Richmond VA CAGers

Thanks Arch, I wasn't sure since others on CAG were reporting getting them for the liquidation price. Guess I won't waste a trip to CC then since that is all I was really looking for.

Anyone been to Gaskins CC since last weekend? I want to see what they have left, but not if it's still just 30%.

EDIT: I can confirm that the Gaskins and Short Pump stores are 40% off games/movies/music. Not a great selection, blurays are still too much IMO to bite, as are PS3/360 games.

Got a few DS games, though, which were just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='johnnypark']Anyone been to Gaskins CC since last weekend? I want to see what they have left, but not if it's still just 30%.

EDIT: I can confirm that the Gaskins and Short Pump stores are 40% off games/movies/music. Not a great selection, blurays are still too much IMO to bite, as are PS3/360 games.

Got a few DS games, though, which were just right.[/quote]

I also hit these two up at 40% on Friday. Picked up :wii: Rock Band 2, :pc: Orange Box, :ds: Drawn to Life, Wall-E, and 3 CDs for right around $100.

SI

Went to the VCC store yesterday in Ashland. Also 40% off, but mostly crap. A ton of Blurays, but most of them still cost more than they would on Amazon after the % off.

Still waiting on the 50% off, then I'll be more interested.

The Sandston store wasn't too hot. I forgot that they used the ultra-tarded architectural design of the Gaskins remodeling. Tons of wasted floor space, circular shelves :applause:, and hardwood flooring with no acoustical ceiling tile. It's like shopping in a huge echo chamber. Whoever designed that crap should never work again.

According to many in the CC thread (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199691&page=236) percent increases are happening every Thursday. The stores I've hit up the past few weeks have seemed pretty consistent with everything else I've heard, so I believe the Richmond stores will be at 50% on movies/games now.

Anyone know what's still around? I'd love to get an Elite 360 for less than $300, even if it wasn't a Jasper, if there are any left at the Chesterfield Town Center store. I might head over to the Gaskins store after work to see what's left, I'll let you all know what I find.

I can confirm that the Town Center store has gone to 50% on games and DVDs. Though I went around to all the stores in the area minus Sandston and there are no systems left that I saw. I can't imagine many games being left after this weekend. If you want anything, get there today or tomorrow.

Made it to Gaskins. They're cleaned out of most anything good, but they do have a lot of 360 games. Didn't look closely at them since I only have a PS3.

They have a lot of Soul Calibur 4 and Resistance 2. R2 for $30 is my magic price, and got that along with Advance Wars Day of Ruin for a friend for only $15. They did still have a ton of Blurays, I might go back next week to see what's left @ 60%.

The Short Pump store has some PS2 systems, but that's the only system I saw anywhere. Southpark is wiped, and most stores were hit pretty hard at 40% off. Short Pump has a TON of PC games though still a lot of good titles. And a surprising number of flatscreen TVs.

Strategy guides 60% off everywhere, Oblivion guides were all gone.

I'm seeing some reliable rumors of PS3/360 console price drops in spring/summer so it may end up being a blessing that I waited.

Oh and this isn't off topic or anything, but for anyone looking to do some spring lawn work Southern States has a kickin deal on their Statesman grass seed: 20 lbs for $19.95. Very good quality fescues, no junk ryegrass or K31. Can't beat it.

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

[quote name='johnnypark']Today should mark another price drop/percent increase off at CC. Anyone been there lately to see what's left?[/quote]

I'm planning on hitting the Gaskins one on the way home tonight

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']I'm planning on hitting the Gaskins one on the way home tonight

SI[/quote]
I'm doing the same with the Chesterfield one.

I picked up a couple of the heavy duty component cable sets at Short Pump for $5 each. These are the heavy insulated ones used for their in store HDTV displays. They were on a table in the back along with some fixtures and receptacles. Used, but good cables if you need any.

Report from Gaskins last night.

All console games are gone- must have moved them to another site. A few PC games are left.

Movies- there are still a "decent" amount left. The current movies that are in the $20 range are still there but probably going soon. I'll probably pick up a Dark Knight at 70%- would have gone at 50 or 60 but there were no special editions so I'm not paying a ton for just the movie.

There's mostly only crap left for Blu-Ray. I don't have a player but I figured I'd look at 60% and maybe pick up some in case I did. Saw very little I'd be interested in.

Still some CDs at 60%, too. Didn't really look as the last couple times I've been in there, I haven't seen anything.

Computer stuff is still only at 40% so there are a ton of external hard drives since those were badly over-priced to begin with. I was looking to get a wireless kb/mouse combo but the only ones they had left started at over $120, so they're still around $80- I can get cheaper on newegg.

They had a lot of digital picture frames at 60%. I came up with a list of the ones they still had there since I'm looking at possibly getting one. They're all still in the $60-$100 range as they started at $150-$250. Frankly, I'm holding off as none have one feature I'm looking for but at 70%, it's harder to resist once they're down below $50.
Kodak SV811 $92
Kodak M820 $68 (tons of these)
Kodak M1020 $92
Memorex MDF1062-MTL $80
Memorex MDF0841 $60

Cameras were still uninspiring, something like 30%. Don't really need one as I really like my Canon S3 IS. The only thing I'd leave that for is a really cheap nice digital SLR and those are long gone, I suspect.

TVs and home audio are still at something like 30% and I think the cheapest TVs there are still over $1000. Laptops are at 15%. Why bother? But that's the thing about this sale- people seem to see that they're saving 30% off and have been getting stuff of the shelves even tho it's more than if they had just gone home and gotten it at Amazon. Myself, haven't picked up anything except a pack of batteries and that day of snagging some media a few posts ago for $100 at 40% off.

Also, there was a "10 Days Left" or "Less than 10 Days Left" sign up so you'll have to be quick on your feet to check sales.

SI

The Chesterfield store is lacking as well. Barely any games, unless you want a GH of some type.
I picked up 2 guides (Farcry 2 and Dead Space) for $6 a piece, The Nightmare Before Christmas on :br: for $14, and an X-Files DVD with 8 "essential" episodes for $7.20.
I'm interested in some of the PC input devices too but 40% off is barely a deal, some prices not even beating Amazon's normal prices.
I was surprised to see the car stereos stayed at the same 30% off.
Most of the networking stuff is gone, unless you need non-gigabit equipment, they had a few switches.
They did have some Audio Authority video dist. amps near the register for $75, which seems a bit high for a used (highly used since they used them to display monitors) piece of equipment.
"10 days left" sign was up at this store as well.
I wonder if the next drop will occur before Thursday?

You guys probably have already seen this on the main deals forum. Best Buy has Mercenaries 2 for the 360 this week for $10. I thought I'd post it here since most of the stores around here (according to BB's stock locator) still has this in stock.

You need to be a Reward Zone member (any tier is fine). The cashier rings up the game ($30), and then your membership card. It should then pop up a window saying something about a package deal and it's $20 OFF. Worked automatically for me (I got my copy at C Heights, they had a couple left but the cashier seemed really interested so he may have snagged those).

BB shows that the ones on Broad and Laburnum are out but the rest seem to have some stock (I didn't check the CH one since it wasn't listed for my zip).

Deal ends after Sat.

Oh, also, I saw a Five Below flyer for this Sunday. They'll have Space Chimps for the Wii for $5 (whether they get the stock in or not, I don't know). Might be nice for the kids if you have a Wii.

Well, I suspect we will see the 70% (well, most stuff at 60%) hold all weekend. Then starting Monday, some of the stuff that is sitting at 30/40% will start to move a little. They'll make a big deal on, say, Wednesday when they drop it to 70, Friday 80, and Sunday will be the last day. But I'm just guessing based on what I saw with CompUSA and the 10 day left signs.

The long and short is- if you still think there will be something left you want after this weekend, might want to act quick and check stores in the morning, not evening or you might miss out.

SI

Anyone know if the final CC days are worth checking out? I'm sure some of the pricier things will be down this weekend (hard drives, etc) but I still don't know if it's worth going for.

I went the town center CC yesterday and all of their remaining merchandise was gathered where their CDs and DVDs used to be if that gives you any idea on how much stuff they have left. Nothing had dropped pricewise, computer hds were still just 40% off.

I went to the Gakins one this morning and picked up a hard drive at 50% off. Other stuff is up to 80% but there's not much left at all.

SI

I have a gut feeling a lot of this stuff, praticularly computers, has a price floor where they've got deals already lined up with wholesalers to sell it in bulk if it doesn't sell in the store for a minumum amount. Otherwise they would have been more aggressive with the computer equipment. Just because they have signs saying "everything must go" doesn't mean it must be sold to the public.

That's a good point, Richard. 10% off laptops for the majority of the liquidation sure doesn't sound like they're desperate to sell them.

The new Target on Midlothian (Powhatan) has a few Last Remnants and Brothers in Arms something about Hell for 360 for $14.98. Also a Gamestop is going up in that shopping center.

ATTN Richmonders. you might be interested in this: \

http://www.richmondsymphony.com/events_details.asp?id=75
Video Games Live™ is an immersive concert event featuring music from the most popular video games of all time. Top orchestras & choirs perform along with exclusive video footage and music arrangements, synchronized lighting, solo performers, electronic percussionists, live action and unique interactive segments to create an explosive entertainment experience!
This is a concert event put on by the video game industry to help encourage and support the culture and art that video games have become. Video Games Live bridges a gap for entertainment by exposing new generations of music lovers and fans to the symphonic orchestral experience while also providing a completely new and unique experience for families and/or non-gamers. The show is heralded and enjoyed by the entire family. It's the power & emotion of a symphony orchestra mixed with the excitement and energy of a rock concert and the technology and interactivity of a video game all completely synchronized to amazing cutting edge video screen visuals, state-of-the-art lighting and special on-stage interactive segments with the audience.

If you or someone you know is into video games you won't want to miss this highly acclaimed one-of-a-kind concert experience. Or maybe you are looking for something cultural and exciting that the whole family will enjoy? Video Games Live™ is not just a concert, but a celebration of the entire video game industry that people of all ages will adore.

I saw Lost Odyssey at the Sears at Regency mall on clearance for 14.97 last week. It was in a stand-up bin near where the game case is. They had a few others there too, but nothing I believe is worth mentioning.

I picked up :ds: Tecmo Bowl for $10 at the Best Buy near Virginia Center Commons. They didn't have a bin or anything- it was just in the rack where it would normally be. It was marked $30 but rang up $10.

SI

Just wanted to let folks know that I went by the new Target on Midlothian today and they had about a dozen copies of Mirror's Edge (360) marked at $9.98 on the clearance end-cap.

Hope this helps.

Not much chatter lately. I've even seen some people in other threads talking about Richmond but not posting here :(

I went to the Blockbuster right near my apartment, up at Broad near Springfield and picked up three of those 2.99 pre-pack disk only games. Then I went and traded them in today at GS. Unfortunately, didn't do as good as I would have liked, but with Edge, I at least turned a profit on all of them even if it wasn't much.

:ps2:
Rock Band 7.25
Guitar Hero III 3.00
GTA: Liberty City Stories 2.75

SI

I picked up Space Chimps on 360 for $5 at Five Below. Beneath everything, there's actually a decent platform game there.

Although the best thing I've picked up at Five Below was a mini-basketball hoop (VT logo, but they had others). That thing has provided more entertainment than most games.

Anyone else feeling like Richmond game deal opportunities are getting slimmer and slimmer? In the past year or so we've lost CompUSA, Circuit City, and (effectively) Blockbuster. We gained Play N Trade, but I have had nothing but crap experiences in those stores.

[quote name='azel']Anyone else feeling like Richmond game deal opportunities are getting slimmer and slimmer? In the past year or so we've lost CompUSA, Circuit City, and (effectively) Blockbuster. We gained Play N Trade, but I have had nothing but crap experiences in those stores.[/QUOTE]

It does seem to have put a significant damper on things :(

SI

I went to the Play 'N Trade in Colonial Heights (last month sometime?), and couldn't believe the night and day difference from GameStop. The employees and manager were so friendly and you could tell they really cared. They actually knew what they were talking about, too. Props to them.

One good thing about Circuit City being gone, means that a lot more games have to move through Best Buy. Hence all the sweet clearance deals we now see. You never used to find clearance games at BB.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I went to the Play 'N Trade in Colonial Heights (last month sometime?), and couldn't believe the night and day difference from GameStop. The employees and manager were so friendly and you could tell they really cared. They actually knew what they were talking about, too. Props to them.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on what Gamestop you regularly go to. I go to the Regency Square Gamestop more than any as I live right by it and the guys there are great and very knowledgeable. It helps that I'm in there very often and on a first name basis with them all, but they are always willing to help out whoever comes in I find. The guys in the Short Pump one closest to the movie theatre are pretty good too, but I dont go there very often to be confident of saying that.

On the other hand, the store in Stony Point and the other one over by the Target off of Forest Hill are complete assholes and I never will go into either again unless theres a B2G1 deal and they are the only ones that have somethign Im after and I have to.

Yeah, well GameStops in Colonial Heights, and the one in Chester (the one I live closest to) really suck in terms of customer service, generally speaking. The new Play 'N Trade blew those stores out of the water, heh. It's good you have a GameStop that's decent near you though.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']The guys in the Short Pump one closest to the movie theatre are pretty good too, but I dont go there very often to be confident of saying that.[/QUOTE]

That's the one I normally go to. The service is good there.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']One good thing about Circuit City being gone, means that a lot more games have to move through Best Buy. Hence all the sweet clearance deals we now see. You never used to find clearance games at BB.[/QUOTE]

What kind of clearance deals have you found at Richmond BB's? I've been to the one next to the VA Center Commons Mall and they had a bunch of big yellow/orange "C" stickers on games but most of them were ho-hum. Nothing like the deals people have posted in the BB YMMV thread where they are getting Resistance 2, Resident Evil 5, Blazblu, etc. for sub $30.

I got some sweet deals at BB over the past few months:

>ACE Combat 360 w/Flight Stick $50 (sold this back on ebay for $120, it's just not my kinda game)
>LIPS w/2 mics for $20 - I hear these are gonna be Rock Band compatible soon
>Table Tennis - $5
>Prince Caspian - $10, this game isn't actually half bad - it's made by Traveler's Tales and plays a lot like a LEGO game

I got the first two at the Brandermill store in June and the last two a few weeks back at the Chesterfield store. They had some ok games for the price there (LAIR for $10, AiTD PS3 for $10) but nothing too great.

Also, did you guys see the news? We're getting a new retailer where the Short Pump and Chesterfield TC Circuit City locations were:

http://www.downtownshortpump.com/20...s-retailer-filling-former-circuit-city-store/

I don't know anything about them, and their site only lists crappy system bundles and a GH:WT bundle. We'll see.

[quote name='azel']
Also, did you guys see the news? We're getting a new retailer where the Short Pump and Chesterfield TC Circuit City locations were:

http://www.downtownshortpump.com/20...s-retailer-filling-former-circuit-city-store/

I don't know anything about them, and their site only lists crappy system bundles and a GH:WT bundle. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

Huh. I never heard of them. Seems like if I were going to try and infiltrate a new town I wouldn't open up next to Best Buy. More power to them though, BB needs some competition.

Picked up :ds: Locke's Quest for $10 at the TRU down on Parham. Not much else of interest there, but I'm pretty happy with that. Still one copy for anyone interested- it's on the shelves, not in the clearance bin, tho.

SI

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Yeah, well GameStops in Colonial Heights, and the one in Chester (the one I live closest to) really suck in terms of customer service, generally speaking. The new Play 'N Trade blew those stores out of the water, heh. It's good you have a GameStop that's decent near you though.[/QUOTE]

When I first moved to Richmond, I was very anti-Gamestop as the one I went to normally where I used to live (Greensboro, NC) was absolutely the worst I've ever experienced. The people at each store easily make the difference as the one in Greensboro, it seemed that everyone was an asshole or a idiot, if not both. Undoubtedly, when I leave Richmond for good (later this year most likely), I'll end up going to a town where my nearest GS is total shit.

Play N Trade is universally terrible around here. The one that I_thought_was good was Carytown, but I realized that they will often skip over games if you bring a stack, and not give you any credit. The receipts are not itemized.

Plus, a "repaired" console from there means "worse than it was before you brought it in."

Good deal I saw at Target: PS3 Guitar Hero World Tour w/ guitar for 22.48!

[quote name='fettmaster']Play N Trade is universally terrible around here. The one that I_thought_was good was Carytown, but I realized that they will often skip over games if you bring a stack, and not give you any credit. The receipts are not itemized.
[/QUOTE]

I've had a very different experience there. My ex-girlfriend had an original Gameboy that stopped working and it's as good as new. I've taken in plenty of stacks of games and always ask them what I'm getting for each one, and there was never anything shady about it.

I always go there 1st for games if I know they'll have it, much prefer to patronize them than the two Gamestop's within 1/2 a mile of each other which clearly don't need my business.

hey everyone, just found this sub-forum. glad I did .. always looking for a good deal. just got a PS3 .. but i also own a 360 and Wii .. along with almost every system since the NES. I have to say that I never go to gamestop around here. they seem to be full of junk and are high priced. i've found my best deals at Target and Toys R Us (which I am on a mission to support Toys R Us since Wal-Mart wants to take them down ... simply can't let my childhood memories of the TRU stores here in Richmond go without a fight! long live TRU! haha)

That's odd. I could have sworn that we were in the SE at one point. Did they realign what goes into what forum?

Jared4781- TRU has been having some nice deals of late and I hear you about supporting them, particularly with WallyWorld targeting them. I just picked up Scribblenauts there this week with the $15 gift card :)

SI

bread's done
Back