Right Stuf Sale Thread (33-40% off Bandai Entertainment) ENDS 11/10

StarKnightX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
234 (100%)
This thread will be for posting and discussing the various sales and specials that the anime and manga website "The Right Stuf" offers.

*Free shipping @ $49 for U.S. and $150 for Canada*

Shawne's Daily Deals (07/21):

Current Store/Studio Sale: Save Up to 33-40% OFF Yen Bandai Entertainment

Discover stellar deals on Blu-ray, DVDs, CDs, books and more from Bandai Entertainment – from hot new releases, like Star Driver, the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, Tekken: Blood Vengeance and Tales of the Abyss, to fan favorites, including Gundam, K-ON!, Gurren Lagann, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and much more!
From now through November 10, the "your price" listed is the price you pay – no coupon code required – and these new prices represent a savings of at least 40% OFF the retail prices of all Blu-ray and DVD titles and at least 33% OFF the retail prices on merchandise from Bandai Entertainment! (This includes items that are pre-order, in stock, on order and special order!)

Just be sure to place your orders before 11:59 p.m. CT on November 10, 2011!

REMEMBER: If you're a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 46% OFF the MSRP on DVDs and Blu-ray and up to 40% OFF on merchandise from Bandai Entertainment. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the "Stellar Deals" graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the Bandai Entertainment items we carry! (Please note: No other coupons may be used in conjunction with this sale. This sale event may not be applied to pre-existing orders. Also, Bargain Bin and Weekly Special items are not eligible for this sale because they're already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)​

Master list of sale items!

Other Notable Items on Sale:
(Book Bargain Bin)
(DVD Bargain Bin)
(Novel Bargain Bin)
(Other Merchandise Bargain Bin)
(Weekly Specials)

Past Sales (Included for reference):
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (10/17 - 10/27)
33% off Dark Horse {10/13 - 10/17}
40% off Funimation {9/26 - 10/13}
33% off Kodansha and Del Rey {9/15 - 9/26}
50% off Media Blasters , Tokyo Shock , Shriek Show , Kitty Media (9/12 - 9/15)
33% off Yen Press {9/1 - 9/12}
35% off Ya Entertainment {8/29 - 9/1}
46% off DC Comics Animation {8/25 - 8/29}
33% off Vertical Inc. {8/22 - 8/25}
68% off Classic (American) Animation {8/18 - 8/22}
30% off 801 Media and Project H {ADULT} (8/15 - 8/18)
50% off Select Funimation Titles (8/4 - 8/15)
40% off Manga Entertainment (8/1 - 8/4)
30% off Pre-orders (7/21 - 8/1)
33% off Seven Seas (7/18 - 7/21)
33-40% off Bandai Entertainment (7/7 - 7/18)
33% off Icarus Publishing {ADULT} (7/5 - 7/7)
10% off standard price on in-stock items {Summer Clearance} (6/23 - 7/5)
30% off Digital Manga Publishing (6/20 - 6/23)
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (6/9 - 6/20)
40% off DC Universe Animation (6/6 - 6/9)
33% off Viz Media (05/26-06/06)
40% off Funimation (05/12 - 05/26)
40% off Viz Media DVDs (5/2 - 5/12)
30% off Udon Media (4/28 - 5/2)
33% off Stone Bridge Press (4/25 - 4/28)
32% off All In-Stock Items (4/14 - 4/25)
33% off Dark Horse (4/11 - 4/14)
33-40% off Media Blasters , Tokyo Shock , Shriek Show , Kitty Media (3/31 - 4/11)
33% off Ya Entertainment (3/28 - 3/31)
50% off Funimation SAVE Editions (3/24 - 3/31)
33% off Yen Press (3/17 - 3/28)
40% off Nozomi and Critical Mass Video (3/14 - 3/17)
33% off Del Rey and Kodansha (3/3 - 3/14)
33% off Tai Seng (2/28 - 3/3)
33-40% off Bandai Entertainment (2/17 - 2/28)
33% off Vertical (2/14 - 2/17)
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (2/3 - 2/14)
40% off Funimation (1/20 - 2/3)
40% off Manga Entertainment (1/17 - 1/20)
33% off Tokyopop (1/6 - 1/17)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gden']The second one means that its all show, no substance. Tits and explosions, nothing more. Aka its crap if your not into a show that's nothing but tits and explosions.[/QUOTE]

Excactly. Personally, I thought it was OK. I also enjoy explosions- tits, not so much. I mean, I'm already hauling around a set, so most T&A anime have me thinking things like 'mine are better', 'she couldn't hold those up in that tube top', 'there's no way they'd jiggle that much after that lil' hop', etc. Somehow I don't think I'm their target audience. :lol:

im thinking about getting:

.Hack//Roots DVD Bargain Bundle (still undecided as I havent even finished Sign yet.)
Ah! My Goddess TV Season 1 Premium DVD Box Set
He is My Master Complete Collection
Romeo x Juliet x Savings DVD Bundle

I am lawling at how you guys thought last year's was better.

I wonder, have any of you even seen Straight Jacket?

I'd get some stuff from this sale if I hadn't spent all my money on games. :/

[quote name='hero101']I'm thinking of getting he is my master too but I don't know else to get with it. I will probably look around the bargain bin.[/QUOTE]

I know what you should get! You should buy Kurau Phantom Memory!

Actually, everyone should buy Kurau.

[quote name='Razzuel']I know what you should get! You should buy Kurau Phantom Memory!

Actually, everyone should buy Kurau.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure we heard you :p

Finished Negima and loved it. That and Tenchi Universe are wonderful guilty pleasures.

Anybody have thoughts on X? Its insanely cheap in the weekly specials.
What is Welcome to the NHK? I've heard good things but I don't really know what it is.
Also, any thoughts on Honey and Clover? I've been enjoying the Manga, so I was wondering if the anime was any good.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Finished Negima and loved it. That and Tenchi Universe are wonderful guilty pleasures.

Anybody have thoughts on X? Its insanely cheap in the weekly specials.
What is Welcome to the NHK? I've heard good things but I don't really know what it is.
Also, any thoughts on Honey and Clover? I've been enjoying the Manga, so I was wondering if the anime was any good.[/QUOTE]

It's good. You'll like it if you like the manga.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm torn on the general anime sales thread. On one hand, it'll keep everything nice and condensed. We don't need the animu plague infesting the rest of CAG. :lol: At the same time, because there are so many posts about what RS has going on, I feel it might overshadow whatever sales Amazon, Buy, and whatever-other-place-thinks-anime-exists have going on.[/QUOTE]

The way I see it though , is that for one , Amazon/Buy.com/whoever don't run anime sales all that often , so it's not like there will be that much conflicting discussion. On top of that , this thread goes through it's own waves of discussion. We all know that Right Stuf usually follows a pattern of 1 big sale , two or three smaller sales , then another big sale. During the big sales there is plenty of discussion , during the smaller sales usually nothing.

I need to stop looking at this thread. It makes me want to buy more anime :( and I'm trying to get a car/ buy xmas presents damn it. Ugh. F'n anime.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Anybody have thoughts on X? Its insanely cheap in the weekly specials.
Also, any thoughts on Honey and Clover? I've been enjoying the Manga, so I was wondering if the anime was any good.[/QUOTE]

I really like the X TV series. Avoid the movie like the plague. Welcome to the NHK is purchase-worthy as well, and you should Google it to find out "what it is." Finally, Honey and Clover is one of my favorite slice-of-life shows, but the second season doesn't match the quality of the first.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Goozex has movie trading now and I've grabbed a crap ton of anime since it went live. I've received full sets of Ah My Goddess Season 1, Basilik, Steel Angel Kurumi (last couple DVDs on the way), Ghost in the SHell SAC (on the way), Bubble Gum Crisis 2040, Koi Kaze, Saber Marionnette, Star Ocean EX, Gilgamesh, SIster Princess, and so much more. I could keep listing everything I'm snatching up.

I'm surprised I'm getting all of these, because the Goozex prices are kind of low on many sets, but I'm not complaining. My collection is climbing. XD[/QUOTE]

Haha, hey G-Nitro, what's up. I believe you've purchased about 90% of all the anime I've shipped out on Goozex. Anime does *not* move on there well at all...

On topic...how disappointing, this year really did blow...

[quote name='Ndolger']Haha, hey G-Nitro, what's up. I believe you've purchased about 90% of all the anime I've shipped out on Goozex. Anime does *not* move on there well at all...

On topic...how disappointing, this year really did blow...[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I'm the biggest recipient of anime on Goozex for sure. Have a bunch coming in right now. Trying to find a method to be able to watch more often than I currently am. xD

I also have the bad happen of rewatching my favorites series too often when I should be watching stuff I haven't seen yet.

[quote name='G-Nitro']I also have the bad habit of rewatching my favorites series too often when I should be watching stuff I haven't seen yet.[/QUOTE]

I have this exact same problem with games. My backlog was mostly under control up through the PS1 days (partly because I had no job so I couldn't buy my own games yet) but combine buying my own games with going back and replaying the same ones over and over again , my progress just ground to a halt.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']tits, not so much. I mean, I'm already hauling around a set, so most T&A anime have me thinking things like 'mine are better'[/QUOTE]

See, you can't make claims like this on the internet without postin pics. That's the rules, missy.

Anyway, i was actually going to get stuff from the sale, but now that the best Buy/media Blasters sale came up, Kenshin looks to be raping my wallet.

[quote name='Chronis']
Anyway, i was actually going to get stuff from the sale, but now that the best Buy/media Blasters sale came up, Kenshin looks to be raping my wallet.[/QUOTE]

Item! But only Seasons 1 & 3 (blech) are reasonably priced. The Kyoto Arc is $50.

[quote name='Chronis']See, you can't make claims like this on the internet without postin pics. That's the rules, missy. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure my fiance wants the internet discussing if I'm a E-cup (like I say) or F-cup (Like he says.) I suppose I could ask, but I don't think he'll go for it. ;)

I'll likely buy the Romeo X Juilet bundle and the Hell Girl set (that one partially to watch with my mom), but I don't get paid again until the 18th, so I'll continue to mull it over for now. There's nothing else I'm interested in though.

[quote name='surak']Item! But only Seasons 1 & 3 (blech) are reasonably priced. The Kyoto Arc is $50.[/QUOTE]
I don't think I ever saw season 3 so yeah... And i'm looking around to see if i can do better on season 2. At $50, it's cheaper than a Media Blasters sale on TSRI would be, at least.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I'm not sure my fiance wants the internet discussing if I'm a E-cup (like I say) or F-cup (Like he says.) I suppose I could ask, but I don't think he'll go for it. ;)[/QUOTE]
Just tell him you mentioned your boobs on the wens and he'll be like "did you follow internet law?" :lol:

I was watching this "12 Days of Anime" sale all along but nothing really clicking for me. While waiting on Rightstuf deals over the weeks I stumbled on a $29.99 Godannar box set at Best Buy and the new Claymore box set went goldbox at Amazon for me at $37.99. Then the Media Blasters sale at Best Buy online. All resulting in $$ set aside for Rightstuf ending up going elsewhere.

Certainly tempted by the Romeo and Juliet and other Funimation "1 of 2" sets being on sale, but would rather hold out for something like the all-in-one Claymore deal for $40.

Can't go wrong with Claymore. The only negative about the whole series was the ending. I bought it soon after it came out in the collection.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Are you talking about the Godannar - 50$ set from best buy, or was there something cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Yep, the $49.99 one as seen on the site. In store, my local Best Buy a couple weeks ago had a few left of the complete series (available in both recent box set artstyles) for $29.99. I'd been eyeballing that for a while and grabbed one up instantly given the usual going price.

This same store never participated in that wide anime close-out back when, so at least I got some kind of deal out of them.

Note: I obviously assumed pure YMMV on this. If found to be still going and someone wants to claim a thread for it, have at it.

[quote name='H22A'][quote name='Veronica Mars']Are you talking about the Godannar - 50$ set from best buy, or was there something cheaper?[/QUOTE]
Yep, the $49.99 one as seen on the site. In store, my local Best Buy a couple weeks ago had a few left of the complete series (available in both recent box set artstyles) for $29.99. I'd been eyeballing that for a while and grabbed one up instantly given the usual going price.

This same store never participated in that wide anime close-out back when, so at least I got some kind of deal out of them.

Note: I obviously assumed pure YMMV on this. If found to be still going and someone wants to claim a thread for it, have at it.[/QUOTE]
It's part of the ADV exclusive found only @ B&M level. It's while supplies last. Basically the are re-releases with an unique UPC and product number. YMMV as stock selection may vary. Here is a full list of what's known so far. The earlier releases may be harder to find now.

• Angelic Layer: Complete Collection (Re-release / 2008 Edition): $19.99 [SKU: 9537575] | Cover art
  • Blue Seed: Complete Collection (Re-release / 2008 Edition): $24.99 [SKU: 9363949] | Cover art
  • Cromartie High School: Complete Collection (Re-release / 2008 Edition): $19.99 [SKU: 9363887] | Cover art
  • DNAngel: Complete Collection: $29.99 [SKU: 9636213] | Cover art
  • Evangelion, Neon Genesis: Platinum Complete Collection (Holiday Edition): $39.99 [SKU: 9633216] | Cover art
  • Gantz: Season 1 & 2 Complete Bundle (Shrinkwrapped 2006 Editions): $29.99 [SKU: 9363645] | Cover art: S1 / S2
  • Godannar: Complete Collection (2007 Edition): $29.99 [SKU: 9364038] | Cover art this or this
  • Maburaho: Complete Collection (2007 Edition): $29.99 [SKU: 9364029] | Cover art
  • Peacemaker: Complete Collection (Re-release / 2008 Edition): $29.99 [SKU: 9537922] | Cover art
  • Samurai Gun: Complete Collection | Status: Never Released / Canceled?

So I downloaded the first episode of Romeo X Juliet of of PSN. I wanted to see if grabbed me and would be worth getting from this sale. The first 2 minutes did grab me and I thought it looked great... then enter the "Red Whirlwind" and flying horses. I have a feeling this is just gonna be full of way too many changes that are distracting and I won't like, I'm gonna pass on it.

Haruhi LE. Just buy it. After watching the anime, you'll love me for making you get the LE.

Don't watch the main DVDs, though. Watch the bonus discs first. (The bonus discs air the series in the order it was meant to be seen. The regular DVDs don't do that.)

[quote name='MrBrando']So I downloaded the first episode of Romeo X Juliet of of PSN. I wanted to see if grabbed me and would be worth getting from this sale. The first 2 minutes did grab me and I thought it looked great... then enter the "Red Whirlwind" and flying horses. I have a feeling this is just gonna be full of way too many changes that are distracting and I won't like, I'm gonna pass on it.[/QUOTE]

It's a really great series, you should give it a longer chance. Well worth the $50 it's going for with the current sale.

I agree with the Samurai 7 re-imagining as well - epic. Gankutsuou is another one that I stand 100% behind. It's one of the best anime to come along in the past 10 years.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']You have clearly never seen Strait Jacket.[/QUOTE]

I have... it's alright. It's pretty, I'll give it that, and it was a lot more coherent than I thought it would be (based on reviews). It's still short on plot (be it too brief explainations for things or no explainations for things), and the action doesn't build up to the right level of suspense at any point- doesn't drag out though. Show's too short for that.

It'd make a great filler for free shipping, but you probably don't have to go out of your way to get it.

Oh, sure. It's not fantastic, and I wouldn't put it on my order by itself, but for being only three episodes, it's great entertainment. Much better than other self-contained OVAs I've seen.

I've been keeping Strait Jacket in mind as well, nice price and it has been generally well-reviewed. But as with others I would prefer to add it on top of other items, such as I've been eyeballing Basilisk in the bargain bin.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Couldn't you try eyeballing something better? Basilisk is meh incarnate.[/QUOTE]

Many of my favorite anime series would suffer from unsolicited comments that one could do "better". I continue to look forward to checking out Basilisk sometime in the near future.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Couldn't you try eyeballing something better? Basilisk is meh incarnate.[/QUOTE]

This coming immediately after your recommendation of Straight Jacket. :lol:

Neither is good, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with Basilisk. But that's like comparing HIV and AIDS...

[quote name='H22A']I've been keeping Strait Jacket in mind as well, nice price and it has been generally well-reviewed.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall seeing a single positive review for Straight Jacket, but I *do* recall seeing numerous mediocre-to-bad ones. Might want to check again.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I don't recall seeing a single positive review for Straight Jacket...[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, one needn't rely upon your recollection, LOL.

The text of many reviews reads positive and for those who use a rating it usually comes in around 4/5 stars, some B-. I grant that an overall positive status, though I will allow that this can be interpreted as sharing a border with "mediocre" (C-grade).

Good enough to find out for myself, given it remains $6.99 as filler when I choose to buy from Rightstuf again.

[quote name='H22A']Fortunately, one needn't rely upon your recollection, LOL.

The text of many reviews reads positive and for those who use a rating it usually comes in around 4/5 stars, some B-. I grant that an overall positive status, though I will allow that this can be interpreted as sharing a border with "mediocre" (C-grade).[/QUOTE]

What I meant was, I don't recall any because there *aren't* any. Aggregate reviews on both ANN and AniDB range in the 6.5-6.75 range, and this one was amusingly unkind:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/strait-jacket/dvd

But hey, it's your money.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But hey, it's your money.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

And yep that specifically was an entertaining negative review, read it previously. How one looks at things generally is where we continue to differ. But I sense we're fine leaving it there.

Moving on.

[quote name='H22A']Bingo.

And yep that specifically was an entertaining negative review, read it previously. How one looks at things generally is where we continue to differ. But I sense we're fine leaving it there.

Moving on.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda curious now. We're not saying that Kirin isn't an anime critic - we all are to some degree - Kirin is just very direct and forthcoming in reviews.

In this particular case though, you said something about there being positive reviews out there about this particular show. Kirin said the opposite and provided some links. Can you provide some positive reviews? I've never seen one either, which is one reason I passed on the show (the other is time and the third is money).

That was a fantastic reviewer. I especially like the Ouran review. It was totally a B-, eh Kirin?

Here's your fucking review:

This show will rock your fucking balls off.

Overall Dub: A+
Overall Sub: A+
Story: A+
Animation: A+
Art: A+
Other Completely Arbitrary Rating Category: A+

Now that I have written it, you should heed my advice and buy the damned thing. After all, if someone has an opinion on the internet, he/she must be right. Thinking for yourself is waayyy too hard to do these days.

[quote name='thelonepig']I'm kinda curious now. We're not saying that Kirin isn't an anime critic - we all are to some degree - Kirin is just very direct and forthcoming in reviews.

In this particular case though, you said something about there being positive reviews out there about this particular show. Kirin said the opposite and provided some links. Can you provide some positive reviews? I've never seen one either, which is one reason I passed on the show (the other is time and the third is money).[/QUOTE]

A very quick and easy Bing or Google search which I trust anyone on this site is capable of will provide all the reviews for you, including many such as at Mania.com giving it a mildly positive B-. "Positive" does not necessarily mean great. The one Kirin chose to emphasize was among the most negative by far that I saw. You will discover this in your search if truly curious.

Moving on as noted, especially as I've decided to pick up the Last Exile box set up with the Basilisk box set. After all, my mild open-minded interest in Strait Jacket isn't sustained beyond filler, which I don't need now.

Edit: In fairness, Kirin could also point to the 3.5 at Anime-Planet as well....contrasting with B- for movie at UGO.com, Mania.com, lots of "decent", "not bad" non-number reviews such as at http://otakuism.animeblogger.net/2008/08/ova-review-strait-jacket/

And I see those Basilisk $28.00 box sets went from lingering at 31 or so the past few days to 23 in just the past few hours...heh.

[quote name='H22A']A very quick and easy Bing or Google search which I trust anyone on this site is capable of will provide all the reviews for you.[/QUOTE]

Ah, right. But see, I was asking for positive reviews which a "quick and easy" Google or Bing search don't bring droves of. I hadn't seen the Mania one, though, so I'll count that in your favor.

As for allowing others to choose for me, per the note from DarkSageRK, I have far too little time available to me for watching anime . As such, I do tend to use reviews to pull out the better shows. Lots of people have opinions, which is why I look for full written reviews that discuss things like plot and character development. If I can find several of those from different reputable websites and they agree with the show's strong and weak points, I'm more apt to give the show a chance or to pass it up.

Good point. You do seem like a very busy and important person. I bet you also have an excellent life that leaves barely enough time to write out a quick post on an internet forum before going back and contributing to society. I respect you for what you are: a gentleman and a scholar. May you have a good day, sir.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Good point. You do seem like a very busy and important person. I bet you also have an excellent life that leaves barely enough time to write out a quick post on an internet forum before going back and contributing to society. I respect you for what you are: a gentleman and a scholar. May you have a good day, sir.[/QUOTE]

Mayhaps you'd like to come over and ask my wife/daughter to not use the television so that I can. :lol:

bread's done
Back