Right Stuf Sale Thread (33-40% off Bandai Entertainment) ENDS 11/10

StarKnightX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
234 (100%)
This thread will be for posting and discussing the various sales and specials that the anime and manga website "The Right Stuf" offers.

*Free shipping @ $49 for U.S. and $150 for Canada*

Shawne's Daily Deals (07/21):

Current Store/Studio Sale: Save Up to 33-40% OFF Yen Bandai Entertainment

Discover stellar deals on Blu-ray, DVDs, CDs, books and more from Bandai Entertainment – from hot new releases, like Star Driver, the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, Tekken: Blood Vengeance and Tales of the Abyss, to fan favorites, including Gundam, K-ON!, Gurren Lagann, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and much more!
From now through November 10, the "your price" listed is the price you pay – no coupon code required – and these new prices represent a savings of at least 40% OFF the retail prices of all Blu-ray and DVD titles and at least 33% OFF the retail prices on merchandise from Bandai Entertainment! (This includes items that are pre-order, in stock, on order and special order!)

Just be sure to place your orders before 11:59 p.m. CT on November 10, 2011!

REMEMBER: If you're a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 46% OFF the MSRP on DVDs and Blu-ray and up to 40% OFF on merchandise from Bandai Entertainment. Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)

* Not sure which products are included in the sale? To get started, just click on the "Stellar Deals" graphic on RightStuf.com: It will take you to a list of all of the Bandai Entertainment items we carry! (Please note: No other coupons may be used in conjunction with this sale. This sale event may not be applied to pre-existing orders. Also, Bargain Bin and Weekly Special items are not eligible for this sale because they're already awesome deals, and this will be noted on the individual product pages for these items!)​

Master list of sale items!

Other Notable Items on Sale:
(Book Bargain Bin)
(DVD Bargain Bin)
(Novel Bargain Bin)
(Other Merchandise Bargain Bin)
(Weekly Specials)

Past Sales (Included for reference):
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (10/17 - 10/27)
33% off Dark Horse {10/13 - 10/17}
40% off Funimation {9/26 - 10/13}
33% off Kodansha and Del Rey {9/15 - 9/26}
50% off Media Blasters , Tokyo Shock , Shriek Show , Kitty Media (9/12 - 9/15)
33% off Yen Press {9/1 - 9/12}
35% off Ya Entertainment {8/29 - 9/1}
46% off DC Comics Animation {8/25 - 8/29}
33% off Vertical Inc. {8/22 - 8/25}
68% off Classic (American) Animation {8/18 - 8/22}
30% off 801 Media and Project H {ADULT} (8/15 - 8/18)
50% off Select Funimation Titles (8/4 - 8/15)
40% off Manga Entertainment (8/1 - 8/4)
30% off Pre-orders (7/21 - 8/1)
33% off Seven Seas (7/18 - 7/21)
33-40% off Bandai Entertainment (7/7 - 7/18)
33% off Icarus Publishing {ADULT} (7/5 - 7/7)
10% off standard price on in-stock items {Summer Clearance} (6/23 - 7/5)
30% off Digital Manga Publishing (6/20 - 6/23)
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (6/9 - 6/20)
40% off DC Universe Animation (6/6 - 6/9)
33% off Viz Media (05/26-06/06)
40% off Funimation (05/12 - 05/26)
40% off Viz Media DVDs (5/2 - 5/12)
30% off Udon Media (4/28 - 5/2)
33% off Stone Bridge Press (4/25 - 4/28)
32% off All In-Stock Items (4/14 - 4/25)
33% off Dark Horse (4/11 - 4/14)
33-40% off Media Blasters , Tokyo Shock , Shriek Show , Kitty Media (3/31 - 4/11)
33% off Ya Entertainment (3/28 - 3/31)
50% off Funimation SAVE Editions (3/24 - 3/31)
33% off Yen Press (3/17 - 3/28)
40% off Nozomi and Critical Mass Video (3/14 - 3/17)
33% off Del Rey and Kodansha (3/3 - 3/14)
33% off Tai Seng (2/28 - 3/3)
33-40% off Bandai Entertainment (2/17 - 2/28)
33% off Vertical (2/14 - 2/17)
40% off Section23 , Sentai Filmworks and Switchblade Pictures (2/3 - 2/14)
40% off Funimation (1/20 - 2/3)
40% off Manga Entertainment (1/17 - 1/20)
33% off Tokyopop (1/6 - 1/17)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your computer doesn't have a DVD drive/the ability to stream or watch downloaded video?

It's just 75 minutes... "Professional" anime reviewers really have no fucking clue what's going on.

[quote name='thelonepig']Lots of people have opinions, which is why I look for full written reviews that discuss things like plot and character development. If I can find several of those from different reputable websites and they agree with the show's strong and weak points, I'm more apt to give the show a chance or to pass it up.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. There have been series I saw severely criticized in short soundbites in some circles--including here--but I chose to bypass them so as to consider the reviews and commentary on the series from the wider 'net, and sometimes take a chance. One such was Speed Grapher, now a personal favorite series.

OTOH, I've been seeking the gist of reviews on the $19.99 Hell Girl set, one of the featured deals on Rightstuf. But I'm not yet satisfied with what I've managed to read about it, not enough serious sources reviewed it, or went beyond the apparently weak first 5 episodes. Mania.com certainly liked it, but I'm looking for more reviews.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Hell Girl is a 6-episode series in a 26-episode box. Then it apparently got a bunch of sequels for WHO KNOWS WHY.[/QUOTE]

Great review! Way better than those "professional" reviewers!

...Even though I sort of agree, heh.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Your computer doesn't have a DVD drive/the ability to stream or watch downloaded video?[/QUOTE]

No and yes, but I don't do torrents. I catch a few shows here and there via Netflix Instant watching or Funimation's site, but that's about it.

More than others, I tend to agree with DVDTalk.com's anime reviews and they did get around to reviewing Hell Girl.

But in this case one reviewer gave the box set a measly "Rent It" and the other reviewer collectively gave the individual discs "Highly Recommended".

That helped...yeah. May just leave this one to whim.

[quote name='H22A']
OTOH, I've been seeking the gist of reviews on the $19.99 Hell Girl set, one of the featured deals on Rightstuf. But I'm not yet satisfied with what I've managed to read about it, not enough serious sources reviewed it, or went beyond the apparently weak first 5 episodes. Mania.com certainly liked it, but I'm looking for more reviews.[/QUOTE]

here ya go. I haven't seen all of Hell Girl (even just the first season), but I found it to be very episodic and
repetitive in large doses. Viewing each episode singly, though, can be very entertaining if you like the show's formula (someone gets mad at bad person doing bad things, decides to send them to Hell at the cost of their own soul, bad person gets what's comin' to 'em). It's a good thing to have around if you need to kill 30 minutes or an hour... or if you're feelin' pissed at the world and want to see some asshole get fucked over. Whatever you do, don't marathon it.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']here ya go. I haven't seen all of Hell Girl (even just the first season), but I found it to be very episodic and
repetitive in large doses. Viewing each episode singly, though, can be very entertaining if you like the show's formula (someone gets mad at bad person doing bad things, decides to send them to Hell at the cost of their own soul, bad person gets what's comin' to 'em). It's a good thing to have around if you need to kill 30 minutes or an hour... or if you're feelin' pissed at the world and want to see some asshole get fucked over. Whatever you do, don't marathon it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, very helpful and not just an "it sucks" or equivalent. Interestingly, this was the gist that seemed to be forming from reviews. May be worth trying it out for the sale price, especially since I like to space out episode viewings.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']here ya go. I haven't seen all of Hell Girl (even just the first season), but I found it to be very episodic and
repetitive in large doses. Viewing each episode singly, though, can be very entertaining if you like the show's formula (someone gets mad at bad person doing bad things, decides to send them to Hell at the cost of their own soul, bad person gets what's comin' to 'em). It's a good thing to have around if you need to kill 30 minutes or an hour... or if you're feelin' pissed at the world and want to see some asshole get fucked over. Whatever you do, don't marathon it.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this, def a show that was meant to be seen on a weekly basis. My GF and I watch the first 3 disk in a row and quickly grew sick of it. Also, not every episode is equal, some are gripping and fucked up, some are laughable (selling your soul because a vet ignored your dying dog... really?!). For $20 I say get it and watch it here and there.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I can't believe you picked up Basilisk.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad I didn't listen to the certain people last year when Basilisk was $25 and they said it wasn't worth it. My GF and I couldn't stop watching it, it became one of our favorite series. Is it perfect? No, it's too long, it takes a couple episodes to get going and towards the end it drags but in between we were hooked to the characters and what was going to happen next. For $25 def get it if you like fighting anime.

That's a fair assessment, and I could see it being tolerable in small doses. Hell Girl's biggest flaw is takes one concept and runs with it to the extreme, long overstaying its welcome without ever changing things up to remain fresh and interesting. Also, some of the revenge scenarios are really far-fetched, to the point where you stop caring about the victim because they're being ridiculously petty or foolish. The latter half of the first season eventually shoehorns in an ongoing plot, but it's never very interesting, and nothing is really resolved by the end. But on the plus side, it has a good soundtrack, and the English dub is quite enjoyable.

Bottom line, it's the very definition of a "rental" show, and I can't imagine going back and watching it more than once. It's fun for what it is, if you can survive some of the dumber episodes and only watch one or two episodes at a time.

[quote name='MrBrando']
I'm glad I didn't listen to the certain people last year when Basilisk was $25 and they said it wasn't worth it. My GF and I couldn't stop watching it, it became one of our favorite series. Is it perfect? No, it's too long, it takes a couple episodes to get going and towards the end it drags but in between we were hooked to the characters and what was going to happen next. For $25 def get it if you like fighting anime.[/QUOTE]

How could you be hooked on the characters when each had a brain made of cardboard and one of them died every goddamn episode? Watch Canaan, watch Black Lagoon, actually... let me give you a fucking list of anime that will make your balls drop off in shame at being attached to man whose blood does not consist entirely of testosterone. These shows will get your GF pregnant and you won't even care. You'll be glad to finally have a man in the house. (Whether her child is a boy or a girl is irrelevant.)

SUCK IT:

Canaan
Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
Claymore
Death Note
Hellsing Ultimate

BAM!

If the awesomeness of these series doesn't get even your panties wet, there's something wrong with you, mister.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How could you be hooked on the characters when each had a brain made of cardboard and one of them died every goddamn episode? Watch Canaan, watch Black Lagoon, actually... let me give you a fucking list of anime that will make your balls drop off in shame at being attached to man whose blood does not consist entirely of testosterone. These shows will get your GF pregnant and you won't even care. You'll be glad to finally have a man in the house. (Whether her child is a boy or a girl is irrelevant.)

SUCK IT:

Canaan
Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
Claymore
Death Note
Hellsing Ultimate

BAM!

If the awesomeness of these series doesn't get even your panties wet, there's something wrong with you, mister.[/QUOTE]

Wow, seriously? You're an idiot

[quote name='MrBrando']Wow, seriously? You're an idiot[/QUOTE]

Just trying to help you out, man. You know, trying to be a mentor to someone who doesn't know better. :(

Can't we all just enjoy the series we like and not trash others for those opinions. Everyone has different tastes, which is why they make various genres and such. Everyone in this thread needs to take a chill pill.

Let's get back to discussing deals, and give opinions and thoughts, but don't trash others' opinions when doing so.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Can't we all just enjoy the series we like and not trash others for those opinions. Everyone has different tastes, which is why they make various genres and such. Everyone in this thread needs to take a chill pill.[/QUOTE]

QFT!

I do enjoy reading recommendations though, but I could do without the incessant bickering.

You start to bicker when you've seen more than 10 animes. It's inevitable. I'm sure you guys will get there someday and you'll see exactly what I mean.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Can't we all just enjoy the series we like and not trash others for those opinions. Everyone has different tastes, which is why they make various genres and such. Everyone in this thread needs to take a chill pill.[/QUOTE]

This.

RomeoXJuliet is tempting, but I'm holding out for someone to license Rosario+Vampire.

I would buy that SO FAST. :bouncy:

[quote name='B:L']This.

RomeoXJuliet is tempting, but I'm holding out for someone to license Rosario+Vampire.

I would buy that SO FAST. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

RomeoxJuliet still tempts indeed, but for me--and perhaps others--it is trapped between me finally catching up with cheaper 26-ep sets of the very few series of prior interest I've held off on viewing 'til now (Last Exile and everybody's favorite--heh--Basilisk were about it) and the upcoming slate of personal must-haves from Funimation.

Gotta start rationing a bit more with these 13-16 ep sets costing more than I'm used to putting out for most 26 eps sets. Of priority are Baccano! box set, Spice and Wolf, and even Slayers Revo/Evo (despite not being entirely satisfied with how it turned out, I can't wait to support what I expect to be a great dub).

Okay, I just got done streaming Hell Girl. Only watchable once.....and for this RomeoXJuliet...there is too many mixed reviews about it but I am going to look into it...at least it looks pretty...and about Basilisk...I just picked up that wooden LE vol 1 box...should I continue on or cut my losses now...I tend to only pick up anime when dirt cheap and this anime is obtainable really cheap. Another note...I just picked up Tokko as well SUPER cheap...looks kinda cheesy? Any feedback on that?

The only thing has been tempting to me so far is Gurren Lagan box set. I've seen it and wouldn't mind owning it, but I'm trying to save for a new computer. I'm also more tempted to pick up that farscape box set from amazon.

[quote name='killa5k7']Okay, I just got done streaming Hell Girl. Only watchable once.....and for this RomeoXJuliet...there is too many mixed reviews about it but I am going to look into it...at least it looks pretty...and about Basilisk...I just picked up that wooden LE vol 1 box...should I continue on or cut my losses now...I tend to only pick up anime when dirt cheap and this anime is obtainable really cheap. Another note...I just picked up Tokko as well SUPER cheap...looks kinda cheesy? Any feedback on that?[/QUOTE]

Tokko is not really worth it. Cut and run on Basilisk, friend. Though, I do know what you mean about some things being so cheap that you just wanna pick 'em up, cuz, hey, it's cheap anime! Unfortunately though, neither Tokko nor Basilisk are good. If you've got extra time, go ahead and stream each series (I know you already own the first DVD of Basilisk, but hell, I stream/download stuff I own all the time @_@). It'll save you some money when you realize you don't want to add either to your collection.

[quote name='killa5k7']and for this RomeoXJuliet...there is too many mixed reviews about it but I am going to look into it...at least it looks pretty[/QUOTE]

Cut Basilisk, check out Romeo X Juliet if you like watching Shakespearean plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBHG9TsBEY

As with most Gonzo works, it's either love or hate, but if you love it you'll love it.

Terminal edit: Long story shortened and ended, I may or may not be picking up Hell Girl in the near future. Now that's commitment!

Hah.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Tokko is not really worth it. Cut and run on Basilisk, friend. Though, I do know what you mean about some things being so cheap that you just wanna pick 'em up, cuz, hey, it's cheap anime! Unfortunately though, neither Tokko nor Basilisk are good. If you've got extra time, go ahead and stream each series (I know you already own the first DVD of Basilisk, but hell, I stream/download stuff I own all the time @_@). It'll save you some money when you realize you don't want to add either to your collection.[/QUOTE]

Cool story, bro.

And now moving on from the silliness, in terms of deals, there unfortunately doesn't seem to be much in the Thursday Weekly Specials that hasn't been in there at times before. Last Exile and Cowboy Bebop still there for $29.99 as usual, plus carryovers from recent deals like Cagliostro SE at $7.99.

Daily Deals 12/18/09 - can't do this often but here you go, quick copy/paste

Escaflowne, Vision of DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) - Super Legends
Retail Price: $39.98
Our Normal Price: $29.99
Daily Deal Discount: - $7.00
Daily Deal Price: $22.99

----

Haruka DVD 4 (S)
Retail Price: $29.98
Our Normal Price: $22.49
Daily Deal Discount: - $5.00
Daily Deal Price: $17.49

-----

Gravitation T-Shirt - Shuichi & Eiri - Grey - S
Retail Price: $16.99
Our Normal Price: $12.74
Daily Deal Discount: - $2.74
Daily Deal Price: $10.00

-------
Pani Poni Dash DVD Complete Box Set (Hyb)
Retail Price: $49.98
Our Normal Price: $37.49
Daily Deal Discount: - $8.50
Daily Deal Price: $28.99

--------
Dragon Ball Z Wall Scroll (31 x 43 in)
etail Price: $19.98
Our Normal Price: $14.98
Daily Deal Discount: - $4.34
Daily Deal Price: $10.64

----------

Eden's Bowy Complete Collection DVD (Hyb)

----------

Afro Samurai Limited Edition Lithograph (Autographed) (16 x 20)
Retail Price: $59.98
Our Normal Price: $44.99
Daily Deal Discount: - $10.00
Daily Deal Price: $34.99

----------

Shigurui: Death Frenzy DVD Complete Series Box Set (Hyb)
Retail Price: $59.98
Our Normal Price: $44.99
Daily Deal Discount: - $10.00
Daily Deal Price: $34.99

---------------

Legends of the Dark Kings: A Fist of the North Star Story DVD Collection (S)

----------------

Afro Samurai: Resurrection DVD (D) Uncut
Retail Price: $34.98
Our Normal Price: $26.24
Daily Deal Discount: - $6.00
Daily Deal Price: $20.24

[quote name='KevinJa']Someone tell me something bad about Shigurui, so I don't feel compelled to buy it.[/QUOTE]

I saw all of it on here.

I normally like violent shows, but it kinda grossed me out a couple times.

[quote name='KevinJa']Someone tell me something bad about Shigurui, so I don't feel compelled to buy it.[/QUOTE]

It's violence for the sake of violence, and everything else takes a back seat - or no seat at all. Not a good show, but if you're depraved enough, you may find something to like.

Air Gear is standard Shonen. It doesn't do anything bad, but it doesn't do anything good. Still at the price its not a bad series but its not going to leave a serious lasting impression.

It's a nice watch when you want a more light hearted show.

Told ya Veronica Mars. 12 kingdoms is insanely good. I love the changes Yoko goes thru from the begining to end, she transforms into an entirely new person altogethor.

12 Kingdoms didn't have a proper ending. I wouldn't call it insanely good either...more like average. Has it's good moments, but it has many moments were it drags. Wasn't a keeper for me, but it's good if others enjoy it.

If you've been thinking about getting Air Gear then now would be the time, since it's such a good price. Not gonna go under any top 10 lists, but it's still an enjoyable show.

Concerning Air Gear, it's entertaining enough that I'd watch it if I stumbled across it on television, but I won't come back to my DVD's of it more than once in a decade or so.

With regards to my next bargain bin purchase: Anyone have an opinion on Gad Guard? It's in there at about $29 for the full set (with a knit cap included to boot!). I've become afraid to read reviews because everywhere I go lately I seem to find unmarked spoilers, or just long diatribes I don't want to try and filter down into a "This is worth watching" or "This is as bad as Burst Angel" message.

Gad Guard is a good show for those who love robots, because I thought they were designed really well. Although there can be way too much sentimentalism between the human character and the robot sometimes.

Some of the characters can be pretty annoying, too. Especially a certain blond little boy who can't come to the conclusion that there are gray areas in life. I seriously wished he would just disappear while watching the show.

[quote name='Shinpachi']With regards to my next bargain bin purchase: Anyone have an opinion on Gad Guard? It's in there at about $29 for the full set (with a knit cap included to boot!). I've become afraid to read reviews because everywhere I go lately I seem to find unmarked spoilers, or just long diatribes I don't want to try and filter down into a "This is worth watching" or "This is as bad as Burst Angel" message.[/QUOTE]

Gad Guard is a sort of funny mix between mecha, slice-of-life, and just a little steampunk. I personally really enjoyed it, but if you go in expecting your typical hot-blooded mecha action you'll be dissapointed.

I think this is one of those shows were you'd be best looking up episode 1 on Youtube or something... it's not especially good or bad on its own merits, so quite a bit of your enjoyment is going to be based on your own preferences.

[quote name='Shinpachi']With regards to my next bargain bin purchase: Anyone have an opinion on Gad Guard? It's in there at about $29 for the full set (with a knit cap included to boot!). I've become afraid to read reviews because everywhere I go lately I seem to find unmarked spoilers, or just long diatribes I don't want to try and filter down into a "This is worth watching" or "This is as bad as Burst Angel" message.[/QUOTE]

Bleh, Gad Guard is a mess. The visual style is all it has going for it.

[quote name='Brian9824']Told ya Veronica Mars. 12 kingdoms is insanely good. I love the changes Yoko goes thru from the begining to end, she transforms into an entirely new person altogethor.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I had read some stuff on it before, but it never got my attention. I'm glad I went for it.
I thought the last 5-episode arc were unnecessary. The story was superb and all, but it could have been told faster, IMO. I also felt the last episode left me hanging, with the last episode being a recap episode. :/ definitely one of my favorites. The ending is a disappointment for me.

- I liked Gad Guard, but I'm waiting for the set to become extremely cheap or the singles to be cheaper. I thought it was interesting, but not enough to spend a lot of money on it. I only saw 1/3, so I don't know if it goes down from there.

Well thats because the story had ALOT more episodes supposedly on the other kingdoms. 12 Kingdoms was based off a series of novels that stopped getting translated so they stopped making the anime. The novels just happened to end at a relatively decent point with all the main arcs wrapped up even though there are still some loose threads.

bread's done
Back