RIP Steve Jobs OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I feel this picture is appropriate, even though it's centered around the Patriots:

patriots2bv2.jpg

[quote name='PlumeNoir']So, thanks to Bing giving me $40 in Amazon GCs instead of just $5 and my swagbucks and zoombucks Amazon GCs coming through - I'm halfway to a Kindle Fire. Going to try to see how little I can pay out of pocket for one.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a wonderful and horrible idea at the same time. :whistle2:?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']This sounds like a wonderful and horrible idea at the same time. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Why horrible? I was going to get a Kindle anyway. I was thinking about the $200 Lenovo one (because of the SD slot - I don't think the Fire has that), but specs seem to favor the Fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PlumeNoir']Why horrible? I was going to get a Kindle anyway. I was thinking about the $200 Lenovo one (because of the SD slot - I don't think the Fire has that), but specs seem to favor the Fire.[/QUOTE]

I just know your history with good luck and things you obtain with it. I have a feeling you'd have to chain the thing to your wrist to keep it safe. :(

And I think you're right; if you're interested in power, the fire is probably best bang for your buck; if you want a little more space or an immediately openish platform, the lenovo one would be better.

I wonder if we get discounts on those and how much it would work out to be. My only real problem with both tablets is the fact that they're 7" not 10". :\

So how about you put that good luck to work for me instead and win me a copy of Uncharted 3 from the Subway promotion while you're at it. ;)

So, I set up a Roku 2 XS for a friend. Damn, it is much cooler than the reviews made it out to be. With the additional micro SD and firmware update it is fast as hell.

The only thing that disappointed me was that the motion remote is only used for games- unlike an LG magic motion remote that functions as a navigation tool (pointer/mouse) in apps.

I didn't try to play angry birds or any games on it though.

$85 after coupon is tempting, but my TV has hulu-plus, netflix, and amazon so I'm not gonna jump myself.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I just know your history with good luck and things you obtain with it. I have a feeling you'd have to chain the thing to your wrist to keep it safe. :(

And I think you're right; if you're interested in power, the fire is probably best bang for your buck; if you want a little more space or an immediately openish platform, the lenovo one would be better.

I wonder if we get discounts on those and how much it would work out to be. My only real problem with both tablets is the fact that they're 7" not 10". :\

So how about you put that good luck to work for me instead and win me a copy of Uncharted 3 from the Subway promotion while you're at it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you do have a point.

I just looked it up: we can get the Ideapad A1 for $179, a 10% discount.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I picked up Dark Souls but I'm actually afraid to play it.[/QUOTE]

Send it to me. I'll play it for you.

Al Davis died? That's sad. :(
Do you think he died of shock because the Raiders are actually a decent football team this year and are winning games? Wonder if some sort of "sports miracle" story could occur here and the Raiders could come out of left field to win the Super Bowl this year... that would be both fitting and sad. :(

Two-faced co workers. Complaining about having to work with someone one day, buying them flowers for their birthday the next.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Dark Souls is devious. Looks like I'll have to start at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

What happened? I think I may start another character, but keep my thief that I've been grinding.

I find it kind of funny that with Gargus gone, we've being seeing a lot more RIP threads. Coincidence I'm sure, but still.

[quote name='keithp']What happened? I think I may start another character, but keep my thief that I've been grinding.[/QUOTE]

I attacked an essential NPC, and so of course, the game saved just as he starts attacking me, so every time I die and reload, I'm getting attacked by a character that is impossible to kill. Fun!

It's ok though, it'll just make me better in the end.

[quote name='JStryke']I find it kind of funny that with Gargus gone, we've being seeing a lot more RIP threads. Coincidence I'm sure, but still.[/QUOTE]

Next OTT thread: RIP Gargus....or RIH, whichever you prefer...

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I attacked an essential NPC, and so of course, the game saved just as he starts attacking me, so every time I die and reload, I'm getting attacked by a character that is impossible to kill. Fun!

It's ok though, it'll just make me better in the end.[/QUOTE]
No multiple rolling saves to revert back to?

That sounds exactly like the type of infuriating garbage that makes me stop playing a game completely. Maybe I'm too old now, but I don't understand wanting to be punished by a game. I just want to have fun and experience a good story.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it. I love the challenge, but I have zero clue what's going on as far as the plot goes. The only thing that would keep me interested in such a difficult game would be the story, but I honestly don't have a clue what's going on. There are also things involved with my leveling up and inventory that I just don't get.

It's not to say that it's a bad game or anything, but I feel like it's another confusing JRPG that I'm just not getting.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']No multiple rolling saves to revert back to?

That sounds exactly like the type of infuriating garbage that makes me stop playing a game completely. Maybe I'm too old now, but I don't understand wanting to be punished by a game. I just want to have fun and experience a good story.[/QUOTE]

I see your breast cancer hat; hope your mom is doing ok.

I just started demosn souls, but I don';t know how to improve my character. On the first level i collected 10,000 souls by killing two bosses. Btu I couldn't do anythign with them. Then I met a third boss with no warning, he killed me, but then I died again by accidentially walking into a fire and lost all my souls.

I feel like this game needed a much better tutorial. Not just the how do I swing a sword type.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I heard it was actually quite scary.[/QUOTE]

It was pretty suspenseful. Lots of creepy shit, kind of campy.

I'll be following it, I really really liked it.

So I went tailgating at Keeneland for the horse racing today. Got drunk and didn't even go in. Got home and emailed that girl I danced with at my friend's wedding last Saturday. I hope this doesn't end to badly but I guess that what makes it nice she lives in Chicago if she thinks I am a fucking weirdo now.

[quote name='flowery']So I went tailgating at Keeneland for the horse racing today. Got drunk and didn't even go in. Got home and emailed that girl I danced with at my friend's wedding last Saturday. I hope this doesn't end to badly but I guess that what makes it nice she lives in Chicago if she thinks I am a fucking weirdo now.[/QUOTE]

I hope that your email is better than that last sentence.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to stick with it. I love the challenge, but I have zero clue what's going on as far as the plot goes. The only thing that would keep me interested in such a difficult game would be the story, but I honestly don't have a clue what's going on. There are also things involved with my leveling up and inventory that I just don't get.

It's not to say that it's a bad game or anything, but I feel like it's another confusing JRPG that I'm just not getting.[/QUOTE]

There is no plot, really, not that I know of yet. Something about keeping the fire burning and ringing some bells. I'm still trying to get to the second bell.

What keeps me playing is (1) finding new loot, (2) leveling up, (3) exploring the awesome world they've created, and (4) the challenge of not being able to breeze thought it without really thinking or trying.

For me, JRPG = Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or something like Eternal Sonata, etc. Anime hair, random story involving crystals or something, etc.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are third person action games with RPG elements, I'd say. It is a bit overwhelming though, especially if you're not used to the difficulty or the stuff with hitting an NPC and having them stay mad at you.

I hear there's a guy who will fix it for like 2000 souls multipied by your soul level, but the only one I actually killed I wanted dead (at the time). :cool:

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I hope that your email is better than that last sentence.[/QUOTE]

Wow, yeah that is what happens when you don't proofread. I probably read what I wrote 20 times before I sent the email.

[quote name='flowery']Wow, yeah that is what happens when you don't proofread. I probably read what I wrote 20 times before I sent the email.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to bust your balls - I was more worried that it may have been a drunken, rambling email.

And trust me - I know rambling.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I wasn't trying to bust your balls - I was more worried that it may have been a drunken, rambling email.

And trust me - I know rambling.[/QUOTE]

There is still a possibility that it wasn't as coherent as I hoped. Now it's dealing with the waiting and anticipation. I still believe an email was a better way to go than a text message or random phone call (and not really knowing what to say).

[quote name='flowery']There is still a possibility that it wasn't as coherent as I hoped. Now it's dealing with the waiting and anticipation. I still believe an email was a better way to go than a text message or random phone call (and not really knowing what to say).[/QUOTE]

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER text message a girl that you're into and haven't started dating yet. That just says, "Yeah, I have a phone in my hand and could call you, but I'm too much of a pussy to handle the possibility of rejection."

If you've been friends for a while, that's one thing - but on the whole, it's a bad idea.

If you don't know her favorite color, don't text.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']Really? The promos for it looked kinda tame and "made for TV"- I'm gonna check it out then.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, no, it's really fucking creepy. Like 85% of the episode I was on the edge of my seat.

Just ordered Arkham City from YF360G. I think that and Saints Row 3 are the only games I'm gonna get this year. Not feeling the FPS itch any more.

I'm still ticked there's no CE for Arkham on PC. After seeing the missus playing Asylum on her PC (and how much better it looked than the PS3 version) I want to get that version of City, but missing out on all the CE goodies is lame. Plus it doesn't help that the PC one is delayed now.

[quote name='Rocko']It was pretty suspenseful. Lots of creepy shit, kind of campy.

I'll be following it, I really really liked it.[/QUOTE]

I went and watched it after I read your comment. I had heard a preview of it before on NPR and they liked it a lot as well.

I thought it was pretty good, a little creepy too. Great visual effects too, none of that CG bullshit.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']There is no plot, really, not that I know of yet. Something about keeping the fire burning and ringing some bells. I'm still trying to get to the second bell.

What keeps me playing is (1) finding new loot, (2) leveling up, (3) exploring the awesome world they've created, and (4) the challenge of not being able to breeze thought it without really thinking or trying.

For me, JRPG = Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or something like Eternal Sonata, etc. Anime hair, random story involving crystals or something, etc.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are third person action games with RPG elements, I'd say. It is a bit overwhelming though, especially if you're not used to the difficulty or the stuff with hitting an NPC and having them stay mad at you.

I hear there's a guy who will fix it for like 2000 souls multipied by your soul level, but the only one I actually killed I wanted dead (at the time). :cool:[/QUOTE]

I can get behind that. Like I said, when I'm playing it, it's not like I'm thinking "man, this games sucks." I can recognize that it's a good game, it's just that I'm thinking "what the fuck is going on here?"

Maybe it's because I don't have the manual, so I'm not sure what a lot of that shit does or is supposed to do.

Probably just not my kind of game. I do love RPGs, but it the story doesn't keep me interested (or if there isn't one at all), then I have a hard time finding the motivation to play it.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I went and watched it after I read your comment. I had heard a preview of it before on NPR and they liked it a lot as well.

I thought it was pretty good, a little creepy too. Great visual effects too, none of that CG bullshit.

I can get behind that. Like I said, when I'm playing it, it's not like I'm thinking "man, this games sucks." I can recognize that it's a good game, it's just that I'm thinking "what the fuck is going on here?"

Maybe it's because I don't have the manual, so I'm not sure what a lot of that shit does or is supposed to do.

Probably just not my kind of game. I do love RPGs, but it the story doesn't keep me interested (or if there isn't one at all), then I have a hard time finding the motivation to play it.[/QUOTE]

Neither game is story intensive, which in a way is a good thing for me; there's a world steeped in lore if you pay attention, but it's not forced on you.

What do you need to know about items or whatever and I can fill you in if you like?

Ok, I'm playing right now. So, I'll number these to make it easier.

1. Why do I have to select my HDD every single time the game starts? Shouldn't selecting it once be enough? It's little design shit like that that really annoys me.

2. When I die, why does it say "blood loss" on my screen? Am I supposed to do something?

3. Why do I keep missing my enemies?! I'm facing in their direction, hitting attack and I end up missing 60% of the time.

4. The parry move. It's useless, especially when you're fighting more than one enemy. When I use it, the timing seems right, but I end up just getting hit anyway. Maybe if things attacked at a normal speed it wouldn't be an issue, but they don't.

5. I have items, but I have no clue what to do with them. Cracked Red Eye Orb? Copper coin? Do they become useful later on?

6. What does hollow mean? What does kindle mean? Why would I want to do either of them? I don't get it.

7. I'm stuck because I can't do a damn thing about those skeletons in the graveyard. They just murder me every time.

We went to the pool. Went down the big yellow slide like 10 times. Carl's Jr for dinner afterwards. Their so-called Burger of the gods - isn't. Maybe burger of an ancestral spirit or reverred saint. Holiest Most High? No.

Gaming:
I gave up on Demons Souls after two tries. It seems like it should be the game for me but isn't. Maybe my reflexes arent up to snuff.

Going to finish Uncharted this weekend hopefully. Start Darksiders after that since Valkyria Chronicles didnt really light me on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG_XJKtT1jM&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back