RIP Steve Jobs OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Temporaryscars']Ok, I'm playing right now. So, I'll number these to make it easier.

1. Why do I have to select my HDD every single time the game starts? Shouldn't selecting it once be enough? It's little design shit like that that really annoys me.

2. When I die, why does it say "blood loss" on my screen? Am I supposed to do something?

3. Why do I keep missing my enemies?! I'm facing in their direction, hitting attack and I end up missing 60% of the time.

4. The parry move. It's useless, especially when you're fighting more than one enemy. When I use it, the timing seems right, but I end up just getting hit anyway. Maybe if things attacked at a normal speed it wouldn't be an issue, but they don't.

5. I have items, but I have no clue what to do with them. Cracked Red Eye Orb? Copper coin? Do they become useful later on?

6. What does hollow mean? What does kindle mean? Why would I want to do either of them? I don't get it.

7. I'm stuck because I can't do a damn thing about those skeletons in the graveyard. They just murder me every time.[/QUOTE]

Let's see:
(1) That's a 360 thing. Gears 3 asks me what HDD every time as well. Dark Souls doesn't ask me shit on the PS3, so definitely 360 only and I think it's more than just Dark Souls.
(2) "Blood Loss" is a status element. Some enemies are able to impart "bleeding" status effect, it's like poison or toxic... if you're bleeding, you continue to take damage, even after the enemy is dead. I'm not sure if it just naturally "clots" or something, I can't say I've survived if any enemy ever damaged me enough to impart "bleeding" status.
(3) Use the lock on to help you target enemies, especially if you are using a weapon that stabs instead of slices. Which reminds me, find a weapon that has attack animations you like, and stick with that weapon type. Example: I hate rapiers/estocs, etc. for the EXACT reason you posted -- if I'm not locked on, I stab/lunge at them and miss then eat massive damage. Learn to use a shield with your sword, if you find one with high physical absorb and you have enough stamina, it's much better to block, absorb, then retaliate, unless you're good at ranged (magic/bow) or like up close melee/dodge with the agility.
(4) Parry move is a bitch to get right. I can only usually get it on the armored hollows with the lances... I'm not ballsy enough to try it on bigger enemies, though the game becomes much easier if you're proficient at it. I think the catch with parrying, partly, is that you need to be quick with the attack button after the shield attack connects, not all enemies will stay in stun state for a moment like the lance guards... then again, if you're trying this shit on the skeletons, you're insane. Best advice for trying to practice would be to get to undead burg, find the first bonfire, and then you can kill the dude with the crossbow quickly and practice on the rest of the soldiers around; if you die, your souls will be right there and if you get hit too much, you can just rest and everything will respawn (regular non-unique enemies respawn when you rest at a bonfire).
(5) Some items will be useless to you for a good while. I think the coin may have something to do with covenents. The cracked red stone allows you to do stuff online. Unless you're comfortable with your own character and are a human, it won't work though... if you are human and you feel good, you can use that to randomly invade another human's world. Kill them, get souls, etc. It's sort of PvP. Depending on how you play, some things may never get used.
(6) Ok, this one is easy. Hollow means you're undead... it's the lower status in the world. You can't summon help from others (NPC or online). You can't kindle while you're hollow. Some people will talk to you different. Basically, if a human dies, they become hollow or undead. Using a humanity up at a bonfire, you can 'reverse hollow' or something like that, which is basically make you human again... a good example of why this is helpful: first boss was a pain in the ass, until I ended up taking him on randomly in human form. In human form, I noticed the summon marker for a big tank of a knight... with him tanking the boss, I was able to hang back and range attack the boss for good damage. So kindling... kindling is stoking the fire -- it will make it so that you gain more healing regeneration from the fire (permanent) for 1 humanity. So instead of having 5 potions when you rest, you'll start with 10.
(7) Graveyard is the wrong way -- to get there, you take a door up on the hill and go through a room with a pool, exit on the left -- you don't want to go there... instead of going through that door, explore to the right, you should find a hill to walk up. As you walk up the hill, you'll encounter things more like what was in the asylum tutorial area (but a little more dangerous)... fight your way up the hill and into Undead Burg. That's the starting area you want to be in. Odds are if something is raping you, you might be in an area you weren't quite intended to go to. I have a level 26+ guy with all sorts of spells and decent weapons and I still have trouble with those fucking skeletons. (If you were a pyro, they don't like fireball, but that's a different story.)

Tried some of that shit, got much much farther. I still don't get how you survive without using parry. Any other way and I'm unable to get a hit in before they get me. I am enjoying the game much more now though. fuck those skeletons, I'll get to them later.

Speaking of which
how did you take on that gigantic knight that's under that walkway when climbing the tower? If you don't know what one I'm talking about, let me know, I can take a pic. He kills me with one hit.

5_gif.jpg
Stuart-Little-hugh-laurie-619366_733_1100.jpg

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Tried some of that shit, got much much farther. I still don't get how you survive without using parry. Any other way and I'm unable to get a hit in before they get me. I am enjoying the game much more now though. fuck those skeletons, I'll get to them later.

Speaking of which
how did you take on that gigantic knight that's under that walkway when climbing the tower? If you don't know what one I'm talking about, let me know, I can take a pic. He kills me with one hit.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's a black knight. They're unique enemies usually, so if you kill him once, he won't be back. He's guarding a ring that makes your defense rise when your health is low.

Anyway, depends on your class. If by chance you took pyromancer, you're in luck. They don't like fire. Since I learned pyromancy, it's my preferred method of dealing with them -- wait for the attack, roll back, and immediately cast fireball while locked on... they eat like 140 damage. :) Anyway, in your case, I would walk up slowly, press and hold r1 and you should back stab his ass. Start huffin' it back toward the bonfire -- there's a ladder (red) on the right he can't climb. If you have any magic or ranged weapons, you can kill him slowly with those. Otherwise, you can try to abuse the falling r1 attack on him for massive damage and try to climb back up before he grabs you. I still have trouble with those fuckers. If you get a good enough shield (again, what class are you, what did you take as your starting "gift" -- depending on your answer, I know something that will make your life much easier), they're much easier, as you can at least block a hit, strafe, attack while open, back away to let stamina regen, then you can block another hit.

Other hints: try to keep your armor/equipment load value at less than half of the number for max, you roll faster. If you can take it under 25% you roll blindingly fast -- if you can't get a good shield, you can either range the enemies that give you trouble or you roll as they attack and then stab from the side.

Quick note on shields:
The physical or magical absorb number in the stats is how much they'll block, provided you have enough stamina in the bar. If you have a shield that does 100% absorb and massive stamina bar, you can turtle everything. Even big bosses attacks in most cases. If you attack so your bar isn't full and they hit you, the balance will come out of your land probably stagger you. If you can gather enough souls (protip: if you find an item "soul of proud soldier, etc. you can use it for instant souls... +400, +800, +1000, etc. depending on the name, so if you don't have money for leveling up or buying what you need, you can do that to make up the difference), there's a guy who sells a basic magic spell (soul arrow) and the catalyst for casting it toward the beginning... I think the basic form will run you 1500 souls (for catalyst+spell) and requires at least 10 INT. If you don't want to go that way and want pure melee, you can take a right just before the first bonfire; there will be two medium armored (shield/armor/spear) guys on a rooftop just before the archer/crossbow bastard. If you go that way, break the crates on the roof, there are stairs down -- out that door is a merchant... he sells bows and arrows and some decent shields.

If you come back and tell me you started as a thief or chose master key as your gift, we can get you a shield that I still use at level 27, though you might die (and have a heart attack in the process).

American Horror Story was pretty good. The pilot was surprisingly creepy, and I can see the show having potential, but this episode was all over the place. It seems like they threw in a lot of random stuff that they thought would be scary, without really having much cohesiveness. I was entertained, for the most part, and I'm looking forward to watching it each week, but it needs to figure out what direction it's going to take, or it's just going to be end up being a long collection of creepy scenes.

[quote name='Rocko']Dark Souls sounds really confusing and hard.[/QUOTE]

It is. I kind of regret getting it over Rage. I want to play it, but I don't have the time to invest in it.

On that note, if anyone has Rage for 360 and wants to trade, let me know :bouncy:

Dark Souls in GOTY in my opinion so far*. I'm loving it! I like how nothing is spelled out for you, it's just you, your wits, your reflexes, and the controller.

*At least until Skyrim comes out..

[quote name='keithp']Dark Souls in GOTY in my opinion so far*. I'm loving it! I like how nothing is spelled out for you, it's just you, your wits, your reflexes, and the controller.

*At least until Skyrim comes out..[/QUOTE]

Yeahhhh I know some people like that, but I wish there were options for at least like...a waypoint. Deus ex did it right. Make it as hard as you want.

Rage and Dead Island are available now on Gamefly... I really hope I get Rage. I'd like to play through both in the next month.

I wish I could get into Deus Ex. :c

[quote name='Rocko']Dark Souls sounds really confusing and hard.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how much you care to put into it and how you want to play it.

If you really care about nerding out of specs and stats and builds or collecting everything, yeah, it can be deep as hell (and confusing to boot), but if you want it to be an action game with RPG elements, you can ignore most of the more technical stuff, then it can just be hard at times, depending on how you build your character.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yeahhhh I know some people like that, but I wish there were options for at least like...a waypoint. Deus ex did it right. Make it as hard as you want.[/QUOTE]

There are waypoints. What do you think the bonfires are? :lol:

You mention how enemies have weaknesses...how do you know what they are? Just trial and error?

I'm off to take down that giant knight. Tell me more about that shield!

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Depends on how much you care to put into it and how you want to play it.

If you really care about nerding out of specs and stats and builds or collecting everything, yeah, it can be deep as hell (and confusing to boot), but if you want it to be an action game with RPG elements, you can ignore most of the more technical stuff, then it can just be hard at times, depending on how you build your character.

There are waypoints. What do you think the bonfires are? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I want a mini map, man. I think too much at work, I dont feel like thinking with my games ;)

Xbox live "free months" from exploit get wiped out.
NP, goes and grabs one of the $29 XBL prepaids.
Enters code, code goes through.
Account profile says GOLD.
I sign it, it says free.
Sign, out and sign back in. Says free only, view profile on xbox- says GOLD.
Sign, out and sign back in.
Still no gold.
Chat with CS.
She says. "delete profile and recover.
You may lose legacy content and offline achievements."
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Yeah Im still good with my Netflix months.

And yeah, Dark Souls is making me rage too. Just played for an hour and lost everything.

fuck it, I'm not patient enough for this.

[quote name='Rocko']What exploit was that?

I still have XBL until 3/4/2013 from some online thing a couple years ago.[/QUOTE]
I think it was the insurance company or auto insurance one that was a month at a time. It's the only exploit I had done.

I did a standard sign-out and recover without a profile delete and it fixed it.

I'm good till february thanks to Netflix...

Then when Reach launched, there was a dash deal for a year at 29.99, but I don't see it anywhere on my account.

Why do I get the feeling when it goes to auto renew, I'll be charged 59.99 instead of 29.99?

I don't remember Netflix... there was one a month at a time from like a long time ago that a bunch of people got in on.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm good till february thanks to Netflix...

Then when Reach launched, there was a dash deal for a year at 29.99, but I don't see it anywhere on my account.

Why do I get the feeling when it goes to auto renew, I'll be charged 59.99 instead of 29.99?[/QUOTE]

Cancel auto renew and they will email you prepaid codes.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']You mention how enemies have weaknesses...how do you know what they are? Just trial and error?

I'm off to take down that giant knight. Tell me more about that shield![/QUOTE]

Well, generally speaking, yes -- standard D&D style wisdom seem to work, but you can always just experiment; at the moment, you're probably better off leaving that big black knight alone unless you run away to the scaffolding and snipe him.

The shield I was talking about for free requires you to go to valley of drakes. To get there early, you need the master key. If you are a thief, you started with it. If you are anything else, you need to have chosen it for your gift.

If you have that key, you go down the stairs near the guy who welcomes you to firelink shrine; you continue down the stairs on the opposite side, this will bring you to an elevator. If you take the elevator down, you can get a decent amount of souls from killing insane hollows that are mostly distracted and non-aggro until you attack them. There is a dude down here (locked in the wall at the bottom of the stairs on the right side) that will (1) repair equipment, (2) do light upgrading if you have the materials, and (3) sell you a catalyst and soul arrow or heavy soul arrow.

Anyway, if you're in that area, just to the right of where you come down from the elevator, you'll notice another tower, at the top of the stairs in there, you can use the master key to unlock the door and end up in drake valley. If you head across the thin plank bridge and hug the wall to the left, you will see another bridge and some treasure -- grab the treasure and run
the dead looking dragon isn't dead, it's a fucking zombie.
If you do this, you will get a straight sword that scales with strength/dex/faith stats and has been my main weapon since getting the required faith to use it. With it you will find the Dragon Crest shield which is a medium/regular sized shield that doesn't take a lot to wield (my thief could naturally) and absorbs 100% physical damage. It's the main shield I use in conjunction with another shield of same size that's enchanted, depending on circumstance.

I thought it was ok, but I'm guessing with all these new games coming out so soon like BF3, MW3, etc; that the community is gonna be pretty much dead. I rented it about 2 months ago and out of a 20 man game, only 5-6 people were playing and the rest were bots.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']My weapons take damage and become useless too?! How do I fix them!? WTF!?

Ok, that's it, this game is just too fucked.[/QUOTE]

Dude at the bottom of the firelink shrine I was telling you about can repair them.
When you find the blacksmith in Undead Parish, he can repair them.
You can buy a repair box from him, and then you can repair your own shit at bonfires.

Go find the dude with the magic and repairs at the hub shrine, you'll be glad you did, especially if you don't have magic and can manage to buy soul arrow (and a catalyst).

Bouncing between Dark Souls and Rage. Loving Rage, DS not so much. Hoping to beat Rage so i can trade it towards Ace Combat.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Dude at the bottom of the firelink shrine I was telling you about can repair them.
When you find the blacksmith in Undead Parish, he can repair them.
You can buy a repair box from him, and then you can repair your own shit at bonfires.

Go find the dude with the magic and repairs at the hub shrine, you'll be glad you did, especially if you don't have magic and can manage to buy soul arrow (and a catalyst).[/QUOTE]

I have no clue where that is! I can't even get there because now I have a useless weapon!

Hockey in an hour. These 10pm games suck. Why do grown-ass men insist on scheduling ice hockey games for 10pm on Sunday nights when all of us need to get up and go to work tomorrow? Asshats.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I have no clue where that is! I can't even get there because now I have a useless weapon![/QUOTE]

You haven't found any weapons in drops or treasures? How far into Undead burg did you get? Even if you just rolled past all the hollows, you could probably run back to firelink.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']You haven't found any weapons in drops or treasures? How far into Undead burg did you get? Even if you just rolled past all the hollows, you could probably run back to firelink.[/QUOTE]

The farthest I've gotten is to some hairy demon with a hammer who, I'm pretty sure I could have defeated, if it hadn't been for my piece of shit sword.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']You haven't found any weapons in drops or treasures? How far into Undead burg did you get? Even if you just rolled past all the hollows, you could probably run back to firelink.[/QUOTE]

I've been running all around this shit for an hour now and I haven't found any dude that repairs weapons. Bottom of the shrine!? Where is the fucking shrine!? How do I get to the bottom of it? WOULD A MAP BE TOO MUCH TO fuckING ASK FOR!?

[quote name='Maklershed']Terra Nova is kinda meh so far but at least it has a lot of bonerific chicks.[/QUOTE]

Was hyped for it but now im dissapointed i thought it had some potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back