Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kromax']Assuming yours isn't broken, are any of you folks having trouble adjusting to the Strat? I'm coming from the wired Explorer, and I'm having problems playing fast notes with the mushy strum bar. I can pretty much 100% most songs on medium with the Explorer, but I'm in the low to mid 90s with the Strat. Every time a fast series comes up, I botch it.[/quote]
Yes, I pretty much put away the Strat a week ago, and went back to the Wireless GHIII guitar. Definitely alot easier for me. I think its the audible 'click' the strum bar makes that helps me time/count notes easier. Also I found that since the keys on the strat are flush with the rest of the guitar neck it made it difficult for me to hit alot of notes, especially if they are back to back chords. Possibly if my hands were bigger I could use it. That said, I sent for the replacement Strat yesterday, so I guess we'll see if the strum bar comes back any better.

EDIT: I actually liked the wired explorer from GHII but it was hard as fuck to get it to enter star power mode.

[quote name='Scorch']What happened to the whole "offering whole albums each week" thing?[/quote]

I don't think that was every confirmed that there would be albums every week to download. But there are 2 albums confirmed so far. The Who's Who's Next and Nirvana's Nevermind.

Both haven't had a release date. But with no DLC announced for the 25th (since HMX has confirmed that there will be weekly DLC). There's has to be something good any merry for the 25th. Christmas, hint hint ;)

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']What are you guys doing for a guitar stand or something to keep everything all nice and clean?

I plan on going to guitar center and picking up a mic stand. Do they have a guitar stand for 3/4 scale guitars? Or do they have like a stand for a child's guitar that I could use?[/quote]

I dunno if you can still get them, but I remember around the GH3 launch Best Buy had these "toy guitar stand" things. Looked like regular stands at 3/4 scale (probably closer to 2/3, but still). No idea if they'd still have them in stock or where you could get them (or even what they cost) but they do exist.

[quote name='gimmepilotwings']What are you guys doing for a guitar stand or something to keep everything all nice and clean?

I plan on going to guitar center and picking up a mic stand. Do they have a guitar stand for 3/4 scale guitars? Or do they have like a stand for a child's guitar that I could use?[/quote]

Since the Strat is flared on both sides of the end, I put two pegs on my crappy wall mounted dvd rack. The neck fits between the pegs, but the flared end sets on top of them.

My strat is out for delivery and should be here in the next hour or so. I'll post a pic once it gets here.

I plan on going to guitar center and picking up a mic stand. Do they have a guitar stand for 3/4 scale guitars? Or do they have like a stand for a child's guitar that I could use?[/QUOTE]
Guitar Center has a lot of cheaper guitar/mic stands. I'm pretty sure that you can get one of each for $10 a piece. You might get lucky, I'm not sure if all Guitar Centers do this, but mine has used/opened product and you could probably score it cheaper. I intend to get a mic stand and some extra drum sticks before the holiday parties begin next week.

As far as size of the guitar stands, they're usually universal and very basic ones and you should have no problem putting the Strat in it. Because of the larger size of the Strat, I'm able to just lean it against my real guitar in its stand and it stays up nicely. For my GH guitars, i put a couple nails in the wall and hang them by the straps.

The punk pack is out and it rocks. Anyone else got it?

"I Fought the Law" sounds great and is very fun to play. "Rockaway Beach" is extremely lame on guitar (just the same note repeated rapidly, urgh), but still sounds good. Need to play the Buzzcocks song now...

Downloaded the Punk Pack before work, didn't get a chance to play it yet but I'm looking forward to playing it when I get home. Also finished the Solo Drum Tour on Medium, trying to get better on Hard since I'm stuck.

Yeah, I Fought the Law does look quite awesome. I've been holding off buying DLC recently cause the packs don't look as consistently awesome as the Police and Metallica ones. Here's what I'm looking at as my next DLC purchases:

Black Sabbath - Sweet leaf, maybe NIB
QOTSA- 3s and 7s, Little Sister (Sick Sick Sick just looks boring)
The Clash- I Fought the Law

I'm trying not to splurge before I know when Who's next is hitting, though.

Skipping the Buzzcocks track since it's a cover and I'm not a big fan to begin with. The other two are good though. Yes, the Ramones track is a little bit repetitive on guitar...it's a Ramones song, what do you expect? The vocals and drums make up for it anyway.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes, the Ramones track is a little bit repetitive on guitar...it's a Ramones song, what do you expect? The vocals and drums make up for it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well, Blitzkrieg Bop is fun to play on guitar, and Rockaway Beach isn't.

[quote name='triforcer']it's resting against my couch.[/quote]

I read that as:

it's resting against my crotch.

To be on topic, I throw all my shit onto the ground. Makes traversing my room more of a challenge and helps me wake up in the morning.

just got my copy from amazon today. holy shit, i suck at the drums! did you guys jump into drumming on medium or start with easy?

I jumped into medium. I played it halfway before just playing hard instead though. Sometimes it scrolls slower than it needs to and takes out pedal notes that need to be there so it feels a bit more natural in hard. Its weird to say but hard seems easier because of the faster scrolling? Expert moves way too fast for me though.

I've been in kind of an odd position where I can 5-star the medium songs, but fail horribly at the hard ones. I am getting better though.

Also, I'm loving the DLC so far (content-wise, wouldn't mind it being a little cheaper , but that's not happening). Never bought a track for GH2 or 3, but I have gotten most of these and I have to say they're solid.

[quote name='nickmad']just got my copy from amazon today. holy shit, i suck at the drums! did you guys jump into drumming on medium or start with easy?[/quote]having never played drums or anything, i started easy then worked my way to medium. it helps.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I jumped into medium. I played it halfway before just playing hard instead though. Sometimes it scrolls slower than it needs to and takes out pedal notes that need to be there so it feels a bit more natural in hard. Its weird to say but hard seems easier because of the faster scrolling? Expert moves way too fast for me though.[/QUOTE]

Weird...I'll try a song on hard and see what's up with that. I'm just surprised that I sucked so bad.

[quote name='seanr1221']if you count drums + singing[/QUOTE]

DON HENLEY MODE!

I bought this yesterday at GS for $152 after getting 40% bonus trade-in credit...and I feel like the fuckin' clumso-of-the-century trying to play drums in the game, even on medium.

It's very fun, but I guess I may well have to go down to easy for starters.

And I dig the shit out of the strat so far. I like the absence of the "clickclickclick" from the controller, and it has a good feel to it.

EDIT: Do they credit The Clash with "I Fought the Law?" That song's older than Jesus Christ himself, and has been covered by no fewer than 8 bajillion bands.

[quote name='mykevermin']DON HENLEY MODE!

I bought this yesterday at GS for $152 after getting 40% bonus trade-in credit...and I feel like the fuckin' clumso-of-the-century trying to play drums in the game, even on medium.

And I dig the shit out of the strat so far. I like the absence of the "clickclickclick" from the controller, and it has a good feel to it.

EDIT: Do they credit The Clash with "I Fought the Law?" That song's older than Jesus Christ himself, and has been covered by no fewer than 8 bajillion bands.[/quote]

They credit the Clash, it might be their version that's the actual track. Most people think they wrote it... ugh.

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: Do they credit The Clash with "I Fought the Law?" That song's older than Jesus Christ himself, and has been covered by no fewer than 8 bajillion bands.[/quote]

It's the same way with Aerosmith and Train Kept A'Rollin.

[quote name='mykevermin']DON HENLEY MODE!

EDIT: Do they credit The Clash with "I Fought the Law?" That song's older than Jesus Christ himself, and has been covered by no fewer than 8 bajillion bands.[/QUOTE]

:lol: It takes sometime, but as soon as you get used to the kickpedal things will get better.

Also, remember that the kickpedal and red button are more important. If you miss some yellows, blues and greens you wont lose as much.

[quote name='DestroVega']They credit the Clash, it might be their version that's the actual track. Most people think they wrote it... ugh.[/QUOTE]
well, i'm sure they are implying it's not a cover of the version done by the clash.

[quote name='nickmad']just got my copy from amazon today. holy shit, i suck at the drums! did you guys jump into drumming on medium or start with easy?[/QUOTE]

If your drums are messed up you may need to calibrate your TV. I have a Samsung DLP that is notorious for lag. Tried the "DLP" setting under calibration, but it was still off when drumming...

I turned off the Dolby Digital option and did the manual calibration, now it works great! The Rock Band forums have a lot of threads on this, and the rec. to turn off Dolby came from there.

[quote name='DestroVega']I think it's weird they list the Buzzcocks song as a cover, but no The Clash song when that's also a cover.[/QUOTE]

The Clash version is the original track because that's who made the song famous.
It's not the same as saying who wrote the song...

[quote name='Milkyman']does anyone know if a ps2 karaoke revolution mic would work with the 360 rockband?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'm using the exact Mic. Haven't even opened the Rock Band one yet.

A side note, this Mic also works on your PC as well as Boogie on the Wii. Pretty versatile.

It's only the wired mic bundled with Rockband that needs to use the powered USB hub right? Or if I'm only using drums, a wireless guitar, and the mic, can I just have the two USB peripherals connected straight to the console?

Think someone will make a program for the computer that allows the 360 drums to be used to create beats and such? I think this would be pretty cool.

[quote name='dugo_7']Think someone will make a program for the computer that allows the 360 drums to be used to create beats and such? I think this would be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I believe that will happen eventually. There is at least one program like this in development already - DrumIt

[quote name='SteveMcQ']It's only the wired mic bundled with Rockband that needs to use the powered USB hub right? Or if I'm only using drums, a wireless guitar, and the mic, can I just have the two USB peripherals connected straight to the console?[/QUOTE]

You can connect them directly to the 360 if you have ports available.

[quote name='menikmati']fucking jesus, I still can't get past Foreplay/Longtime drums on Hard.[/QUOTE]

IMO most fun song to play on that difficulty.

i'm stuck on expert on the 4th or 5th tier. bass pedal is getting ridiculous.

[quote name='CouRageouS']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiIC5qcXeNU
I love this video. Songs coming Tuesday if anyone doesn't already know.[/quote]

Buddy Holly is the one I've ben waiting for.... f'ing sweetness. BTW - The vid isn't working. I just happened to recognize it from the sample frame. :D

Now all I need is a Smashing Pumpkins pack (Gish, Siamese Dream albums or very few songs off of Melancholy, the new album sucks in comparison). Maybe "Untitled" would be a fun song.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']definetely gonna get buddy holly
only dlc ive gotten so far is the metallica pack..and damn those songs are long :hot:[/quote]

Only one I've picked up so far is The Police pack. I'm on the fence about the Metallica pack

[quote name='sp00ge']Only one I've picked up so far is The Police pack. I'm on the fence about the Metallica pack[/quote]

its pretty fun but the songs are insane
my friends wanted it so i was like what the heck i have 8300 points to spend :lol:

btw what other dlc is good?
im thinking bout my sharona and the police

[quote name='gorgo']I turned off the Dolby Digital option and did the manual calibration, now it works great! The Rock Band forums have a lot of threads on this, and the rec. to turn off Dolby came from there.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. My monitor isn't particularly laggy, but I may try turning off DD to see if I improve any - I'm strictly a "medium is as good as I get" drummer.

My guess is no, but it's worth a shot.

[quote name='sp00ge']Only one I've picked up so far is The Police pack. I'm on the fence about the Metallica pack[/QUOTE]
Get it!

[quote name='Nelo Ice']its pretty fun but the songs are insane
my friends wanted it so i was like what the heck i have 8300 points to spend :lol:

btw what other dlc is good?
im thinking bout my sharona and the police[/QUOTE]
The punk stuff is for fans only, they won't exactly challenge you. That said, I enjoyed them (I didn't buy the Buzzcocks track).

The Black Sabbath pack is made up of covers but they are definitely passable, so if you're into those songs I would pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back