Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggested Prince eons ago. I wholly agree.

And the principal recording artist means fuck-all when someone else owns the music.

You want The Beatles in Rock Band? Start talking to Michael Jackson.

[quote name='bardockkun']Though hell, I'd even settle for cheese-tacular "Final Countdown" from Europe, just someway to incorperate keyboards or synthesizers I guess.[/quote]

Most epic song ever made. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN, HARMONIX!

Beatles are a bit more complicated than just Michael Jackson as the rights owner aren't they? Doesn't Apple (the Beatles holding company, not the ipod assholes) have their hands in that too or agreement has to be made or something like that. I always got the impression that Beatles licensing was more complicated than just Michael Jackson's word.

Zep licensing reminds me of the School of Rock extras where Jack Black talks about being floored they actually let him use Immigrant Song in the movie.

[quote name='InuFaye']I don't think the Beatles or Zep will ever be in these games.[/quote]

I concur.

As for Prince, "LET'S GO CRAZY"!!!

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Beatles are a bit more complicated than just Michael Jackson as the rights owner aren't they? Doesn't Apple (the Beatles holding company, not the ipod assholes) have their hands in that too or agreement has to be made or something like that. I always got the impression that Beatles licensing was more complicated than just Michael Jackson's word.[/quote]

Well, here's an assessment of the situation as of a year ago:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

Of course, Jackson's whole empire has been in jeopardy for some time, which for our purposes will culminate 2 weeks from tomorrow when he loses control of the rest of his Beatles rights as part of a financing deal he cut with Sony awhile back. Ergo, at the end of the month Sony will own ALL the Beatles publishing rights instead of the half they own now (making the back of my mind worry that they'll try to fire off a PS3-exclusive Beatles game of some sort. Not that it would be terrible, but I'd have to get new instruments).

However, here's an interesting note about licensing of songs:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a951027.html

If this is accurate, then Sony's control would only allow them to license the music and lyrics, which would lead to a Rock Band full of "as made famous by The Beatles" tunes. That would be a disaster, so Harmonix would also have to negotiate with whomever owns the masters...I believe Capitol Records owns a lot of them in the states. Not sure if it's all of them, though.

So that's that...
Get on it, boys!

Next week is stuff from the Euro release:

Hey everybody, its that time again. Next week for DLC we have the tracks from the European release of Rock Band. All tracks are $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) each. They will be available Tuesday on the Xbox 360 and Thursday on the PS3.

Beetlebum as made famous by Blur (cover)

Hier Kommt Alex by Die Toten Hosen (master)

Countdown to Insanity by H-BlockX (master)

Perfekte Welle by Juli (master)

Manu Chao by Les Wampas (master)

Hysteria by Muse (master)

Rock N Roll Star by Oasis (master)

New Wave by Pleymo (master)

Monsoon by Tokio Hotel (master)

Also of note - the entire North American library of DLC up until this point will be available on 5/20 in the EU territories for release.

Looks like nothing for me again. Maybe the Muse thing if I feel like I must buy something.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Next week is stuff from the Euro release:

Looks like nothing for me again. Maybe the Muse thing if I feel like I must buy something.[/quote]

Again with the crap. Oh well. This gives me time to enjoy the dlc I already own, and haven't even played yet. Plus, I have to mod my drum kit with the foam/felt pads.

I want more Muse but for now I will accept one song. I'll have to listen to the rest of those tracks. I think the friends may want another Oasis song.

I have to listen to those Euro songs to see if any of them are good. From what I know I think the Oasis is pretty good. I'm glad they are releasing more then 3 songs this week, that makes it much more likely I'll like some of them.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Well, here's an assessment of the situation as of a year ago:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

Of course, Jackson's whole empire has been in jeopardy for some time, which for our purposes will culminate 2 weeks from tomorrow when he loses control of the rest of his Beatles rights as part of a financing deal he cut with Sony awhile back. Ergo, at the end of the month Sony will own ALL the Beatles publishing rights instead of the half they own now (making the back of my mind worry that they'll try to fire off a PS3-exclusive Beatles game of some sort. Not that it would be terrible, but I'd have to get new instruments).

However, here's an interesting note about licensing of songs:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a951027.html

If this is accurate, then Sony's control would only allow them to license the music and lyrics, which would lead to a Rock Band full of "as made famous by The Beatles" tunes. That would be a disaster, so Harmonix would also have to negotiate with whomever owns the masters...I believe Capitol Records owns a lot of them in the states. Not sure if it's all of them, though.

So that's that...
Get on it, boys![/quote]

Super interesting. Thanks for digging that up.

Dammit - that's an awesome Blur song but it's a cover!!! I'm on the fence there. I'll be picking up the Oasis song for sure - the other three are some of the most played tracks so far. Everyone loves them!

I'm liking Hier Kommt Alex, Countdown to Insanity, Hysteria (definitely a buy), Rock 'N' Roll Star, New Wave, and

Maybe Perfekte Well and Manu Chao.

kind of wish there was a pack for all 9 of these, since we'll be getting them all anyway and would have liked to save a few MS points. fanatic completionist, you see.

Next week will be the first week I purchase any since "Still Alive" (I would have gotten it even if wasn't free, so Shhh!). In for "Perfekte Welle" and "Countdown to Insanity," possibly "Monsoon."

I'll be picking up.

Countdown to Insanity" - H-BlockX
Hysteria" - Muse
Oasis - Rock 'N' Roll Star

I knew the muse and Oasis would be good and I'm glad I found something else worth picking up out of the rest.

[quote name='KingDox']I'll be picking up.

Hysteria" - Muse

I knew the muse and Oasis would be good and I'm glad I found something else worth picking up out of the rest.[/quote]
I can't bring myself to buy Countdown to Insanity after hearing that cheesy "Hey-O" shit and watching the video's blatant rip-off of 24.

The Blur song is a cover? :cry:

Still buying that plus the Oasis and Muse tracks. :cool:

Hope week after next is the Cars album, my wallet needs a rest(still getting 2 tracks off that one too though.)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']French Limp Bizkit FTL.[/QUOTE]

HA. Oh man, after watching the video, I may have to buy that one. Perfect way to describe it.

That song is SO horrible and unintentionally funny...I have a feeling it would be a hit whenever I have large groups around to play the game.

If any of you want to hear the songs coming out next week, check out my fansite in my sig. I have the songs up for preview. I can't wait to play Hysteria on my drums!

Pretty cool site, EvilAkana.

[quote name='CouRageouS']:rofl: that was some hilarious shit. Now I must buy it! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I've watched this thing like half a dozen times since my last post. The singer sounds like a cross between Mike Tyson and Fred Durst. The chorus is the funniest fucking thing ever. "DEH-DEH-HOOOOH DEH-DEH HOOOOOOOOOOOOH." I officially take back any disappointment about this week's stuff.

Pretty cool site, EvilAkana.

[quote name='CouRageouS']:rofl: that was some hilarious shit. Now I must buy it! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I've watched this thing like half a dozen times since my last post. The singer sounds like a cross between Mike Tyson and Fred Durst. The chorus is the funniest fucking thing ever. "DEH-DEH-HOOOOH DEH-DEH HOOOOOOOOOOOOH." I officially take back any disappointment about this week's stuff.

Ever since I downloaded the newest Rock Band update I have been having trouble with the guitar. Strumming down everything is normal, but when I strum up the game counts it as a miss. I have already calibrated the video settings and it doesn't make a difference. What I have to do is turn off the PS3 and unplug the guitar's adaptor plug it back in and restart the PS3. Sometimes it will work normally, but when it doesn't I have to turn off the PS3 again. Any help?

[quote name='KingDox']I'll be picking up.

Hysteria" - Muse

I knew the muse and Oasis would be good and I'm glad I found something else worth picking up out of the rest.[/QUOTE]
I liked Countdown to Insanity as well. I also got to get the hilarious Pleymo song. I'm considering the Tokio Hotel song. So that would be 5 total for me since Muse is insta-buy and Oasis is a crowd favorite.

Man I was just playing around in the RB store and I had no idea that it had this song!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbtCJ57TmY[/media]

It gets me pumped! :whee:

Augh! :( :(

I just spent all my microsoft points on various songs I'd been putting off getting but kind of wanted, and now my most-awaited PAL tracks are coming, and I'm not paid till Friday.

I may actually cry.

(Muse, Oasis, and (damnit a cover of) Blur for me... on FRIDAY..., might consider HblockX at some point, did street teaming for them a good 10+ years ago... and the Tokio Hotel song sounds nice too.)

I was however hoping they'd group those into subgroups-- like a UK pack, a Europe pack, and so on. Or at least the whole bunch together, not just single songs :(

So I am for sure getting a 360 within the next couple of weeks. I want to get Rock Band. I have GH3 for PS3, but I barely play it. I was thinking of selling it and just rebuying the game and also getting a GH2 set. Do all the guitars work for all the games or is it still screwed up? I know for PS3 I can't use the GH 3 controller (which sucks anyway). I want to have all my GH/RB games on one system so that's another reason why I'm selling the PS3 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back