Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

I stared at the shelf for a minute myself before realizing the DVD case wasn't a DVD but the CD/Rock Band set.

Interesting way of handling the DLC code as well. I thumbed through the book 3-4 times before I realized what was going on. :lol:

[quote name='ghostmedicine']Did anyone venture out to Target today and find the $29.99 edition of Backspacer that's supposed to contain the DLC code? All I found was the regular edition for $11.98. Maybe the special edition is only available online, or maybe my Target just didn't get any in. It wasn't advertised in the weekly ad, and one of the employees I asked didn't know what I was talking about.

Hm. In any event, wouldn't it be better if it was priced at $19.99 or even $24.99 for release week?[/QUOTE]

I went out today and neither of the two stores I went to got any in. One store had a shelf tag for it, but they didn't get any. The other store barely had any of the regular edition, let alone any of the LE. With Target clearance runs coming on Monday I decided to bag the idea of hitting up any other stores, especially since I received my Ten Club copy on Friday and the fact that I could download the tracks from XBL if I really wanted to play them today.

The DCPI is 012-02-0102 if you wanted to use the online search function.

Is there anything different between the regular and LE edition other than the RB DLC code and the fact that it is in a DVD case?

Also, I'm wondering why I bought a ten club edition. It doesn't even let you get the 2 free downloadable shows that the standard target edition does.

Yeah, I bought their last album (avocado cover) from 10C, and was thinking of doing the same with this one as well. Then I heard about the two free shows thing on the Target CDs, in addition to the Rock Band stuff. From reading a little bit on the 10C forums, it seems like purchasers of the CD from 10C will eventually get hooked up with downloads of their own...so just sit tight, I guess. I also read that certain Target stores are carrying a Backspacer t-shirt.

Is the 10C edition of Backspacer that cool/worth owning? I don't think there's any difference in content between the standard and LE Target editions, no...at least not from what I've read. I'm not sure how I feel about buying the LE if it's in a DVD case, though. That would like weird shuffled in with the rest of my PJ CDs. I guess I could just file it in with my PJ DVDs...damn, this band must be rich, huh?

[quote name='ghostmedicine']Yeah, I bought their last album (avocado cover) from 10C, and was thinking of doing the same with this one as well. Then I heard about the two free shows thing on the Target CDs, in addition to the Rock Band stuff. From reading a little bit on the 10C forums, it seems like purchasers of the CD from 10C will eventually get hooked up with downloads of their own...so just sit tight, I guess. I also read that certain Target stores are carrying a Backspacer t-shirt.

Is the 10C edition of Backspacer that cool/worth owning? I don't think there's any difference in content between the standard and LE Target editions, no...at least not from what I've read. I'm not sure how I feel about buying the LE if it's in a DVD case, though. That would like weird shuffled in with the rest of my PJ CDs. I guess I could just file it in with my PJ DVDs...damn, this band must be rich, huh?[/QUOTE]

The 10C version comes in a CD booklet, which is pretty cool.

i was duped by the 10C version for Avocado last time too. you're pretty much just paying $7 shipping in addition to the regular cd price but with slightly different packaging.

I ended up downloading the album last night and it was fun on drums. Not too hard, not too easy, all in all a solid album. Do note however that "The End" is the first song with a no drum part.

[quote name='erectiontown']i was duped by the 10C version for Avocado last time too. you're pretty much just paying $7 shipping in addition to the regular cd price but with slightly different packaging.[/QUOTE]

I got some (free shipping). :cool:

Hit my Targets today to check clearance and neither of them had the LE in stock. I checked online and it seems hit or miss in this area if they got the LE or not (actually one of the ones I went to yesterday now says they have them in stock so I'll check that on the way home today).

Seems really odd that they wouldn't have every possible item related to this (CD, LE CD, Vinyl, Single, & T-shirt) available at every store on release date. At each store I have been to in the past 2 days I have witnessed either someone asking about the LE version or standing around looking puzzled and wondering why they didn't have it.

What are the concert downloads that are available with the Target editions?

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Hit my Targets today to check clearance and neither of them had the LE in stock. I checked online and it seems hit or miss in this area if they got the LE or not (actually one of the ones I went to yesterday now says they have them in stock so I'll check that on the way home today).

Seems really odd that they wouldn't have every possible item related to this (CD, LE CD, Vinyl, Single, & T-shirt) available at every store on release date. At each store I have been to in the past 2 days I have witnessed either someone asking about the LE version or standing around looking puzzled and wondering why they didn't have it.

What are the concert downloads that are available with the Target editions?[/QUOTE]
i think there's a choice of 11 or so you can get (pick two), all of them pretty recent (no earlier than 2005). i'll try to find the list for you.

[quote name='erectiontown']i think there's a choice of 11 or so you can get (pick two), all of them pretty recent (no earlier than 2005). i'll try to find the list for you.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I just scored my copy and downloaded Backspacer. I'm going to play a bit so if anyone wants to play shoot me a message.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But I'll be laughing when the patch gets released 2 days after you return your Lips bundle.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Ha Ha. Ha. (Joker laugh continues...)

I know, it's still summer... on Mars, maybe?

Helmet.

For the rest of you that have a Rock Band that works (Beatles) with it, the 360 wireless mic is now $39.99 at Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingofOldSchool']I got some (free shipping). :cool:[/QUOTE]

Same here - my total was $13.98 I think... maybe $12.98? It was totally worth it though - the 10C packaging is sweet. Here are some pics I took from another thread:

pj1k.jpg

pj2u.jpg

pj3k.jpg

pj4k.jpg

pj5.jpg

[quote name='gantt']Ha. Ha Ha. Ha. (Joker laugh continues...)

I know, it's still summer... on Mars, maybe?

Helmet.

For the rest of you that have a Rock Band that works (Beatles) with it, the 360 wireless mic is now $39.99 at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Haha, funny that this came up. I'll definitely give you that it's not summer anymore. Whenever freaking RBN is ready, this damn patch will come out. I guess they just don't want to do more than one update. It is coming. They're just taking their sweet ass time.

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] I'll definitely give you that it's not summer anymore .[/QUOTE]

Funny you bring that up, the Autumnal equinox was yesterday, so yes summer is officially over. Screw the Lips support, where is my Star patch dammit?

[quote name='Corvin']Funny you bring that up, the Autumnal equinox was yesterday, so yes summer is officially over. Screw the Lips support, where is my Star patch dammit?[/QUOTE]

Yes...which is why I said "...it's not summer anymore". Harmonix has officially lied to us that it would be released over the summer.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Harmonix has officially lied to us that it would be released over the summer.[/QUOTE]

I think "lied" is a bit harsh. To be fair, I think the summer commitment came from a Microsoft announcement. At any rate, I suspect they thought it would happen when they said it - and when they committed to advertise the compatibility as current on the new mic packaging. I'm guessing that a technical or logistical issue delayed it.

My beef is that they knew - possibly for some time - that they weren't going to meet the summer commitment, yet never came out and said so.

Anyone ever have the guitar part of the track completely cut out?

I was playing Catcher in the Rye, and half way through the solo the guitar cut out even though I was still playing the notes. Every other instrument played fine. By the end of the solo, it cut back in.

[quote name='gantt']I think "lied" is a bit harsh. To be fair, I think the summer commitment came from a Microsoft announcement. At any rate, I suspect they thought it would happen when they said it - and when they committed to advertise the compatibility as current on the new mic packaging. I'm guessing that a technical or logistical issue delayed it.

My beef is that they knew - possibly for some time - that they weren't going to meet the summer commitment, yet never came out and said so.[/QUOTE]

My beef is that they were advertising the patch for "summer", long before summer even started. I remember reading back in Jan/Feb about a patch.

[quote name='mtxbass1']My beef is that they were advertising the patch for "summer", long before summer even started. I remember reading back in Jan/Feb about a patch.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the "summer" press release was April 3rd.

This is from December 5th:
Microsoft and MTV Games are working together to ensure that consumers will be able to use the wireless mics from 'Lips' with 'Rock Band 2' after launch. More details on timing to come. Harmonix and MTV Games strive for all third-party controllers to work with the 'Rock Band' games, fitting with Harmonix' open-platform philosophy for controllers.

So we're coming up on 10 months. Entire games have been developed in that time. Kinda bizarre.

Well, the thing is you KNOW the patch structure is ready. It's already been implemented in Beatles and the Country Track Pack. At this point, it seems like they're intentionally holding it back so they can do one huge update with RBN and all the other new features. I don't know. Maybe they're saving it to release against Band Hero? It makes me wonder how close to ready RBN even is though.

"One thing I do say to retailers is that they should stop selling those rival products which don’t sell through, and instead focus on the products that are selling through and generate retail value and return on investment. I’m not here to talk about the competition, but one of our competitors we outsell nine to one, eight to one or seven to one depending on the week. The last GfK research showed that we have a 50 per cent market share of the music category – which includes Rock Band, Wii Music, SingStar and every other music game." - Michael Sportouch, Senior Director of Guitar Hero

:rofl:

What a dick. Don't stop your car if you see Michael Sportouch crossing the street.

So what he's saying is that stores shouldn't have stocked Guitar Hero Aerosmith and should not stock Guitar Hero Van Halen?

What a joke. I really don't like the Beatles but from what I have seen, it's a quality product. The same can't be said for Guitar Hero : Rock the 80s or the Guitar Hero games for DS.

I just got this email from Alice in Chains' official site:

To coincide with the release of Black Gives Way to Blue, AIC has partnered with Rock Band to release two very special download packs. The first download pack, available on Tuesday, will feature "A Looking In View", "Check My Brain", "No Excuses", "Rooster", and "Would?".

I'd like some "Them Bones," but fuck I can't deny that is going to be an awesome pack. That and can't wait for the new album next week since some good buzz building from that.

Question. For RB1, I know there's that transfer code you can use so you can play all but I think 3 songs on RB2, but with it being a one time deal, if I later get a new hard drive (which I've considered only having the 60GB one currently), would there be an easy way to get the songs on the new drive or would I need to use one of those migration kit or whatever they're called?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, the thing is you KNOW the patch structure is ready. It's already been implemented in Beatles and the Country Track Pack. At this point, it seems like they're intentionally holding it back so they can do one huge update with RBN and all the other new features. I don't know. Maybe they're saving it to release against Band Hero? It makes me wonder how close to ready RBN even is though.[/QUOTE]

Most likely. As for RBN, Subpop Records said that they were planning to release the Flight of the Conchords tracks via RBN in October. Either we get it earlier than planned (November was the last I heard), or they don't know what they're talking about. Either is entirely possible.

[quote name='Trakan']Anyone ever have the guitar part of the track completely cut out?

I was playing Catcher in the Rye, and half way through the solo the guitar cut out even though I was still playing the notes. Every other instrument played fine. By the end of the solo, it cut back in.[/QUOTE]

I've had that happen once or twice when I've played with my friends. I'm not sure what caused it, but it doesn't seem to be a very damaging glitch because it was fixed by the time we began the next song.

[quote name='JStryke']Question. For RB1, I know there's that transfer code you can use so you can play all but I think 3 songs on RB2, but with it being a one time deal, if I later get a new hard drive (which I've considered only having the 60GB one currently), would there be an easy way to get the songs on the new drive or would I need to use one of those migration kit or whatever they're called?[/QUOTE]

It isn't a transfer code - from my understanding, it's a utility that rips the songs from the disc to your hard drive.

That said...the answer to your question is still yes. The transfer utility should show up in your Xbox Live purchase history, so you should be able to repeat the process for a new hard drive.

As for track packs, those work more like what you described - it is a one time use, but the code is a redemption code to download the track pack, as one big file. The track pack file will also show up in your purchase history as "bought," so you can just queue it up and pull it down again on a new hard drive.

I got that AIC email as well. Definitely getting that track pack but I think they should have had some heavier, grindier songs. Heres to hoping the second download pack includes Again, Grind, Brush Away, Brother, Nutshell and Got Me Wrong.

[quote name='DestroVega']I hate that they are touring and releasing music under Alice in Chains... ugh[/QUOTE]

It's not bad but it's not Alice In Chains.

[quote name='javeryh']It's not bad but it's not Alice In Chains.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the desire to keep the name, though - instant recognition, instead of changing the name and having to explain that the new group is mostly Alice in Chains. It's probably not ideal for everybody, but what's done is done.

In unrelated news, I learned today that the Goo Goo Dolls survived the 1990s - I was in a dollar store, and they had an album the group released in 2006. :shock:

Thank you, Alice In Chains. It's nice to see a 90s band be able to promote a new album via Rock Band, yet have the courtesy to include some of their older, better stuff in the track pack. (This is the part of the reply where I grimace towards the general direction of Green Day.)

[quote name='tcrash247']I got that AIC email as well. Definitely getting that track pack but I think they should have had some heavier, grindier songs. Heres to hoping the second download pack includes Again, Grind, Brush Away, Brother, Nutshell and Got Me Wrong.[/QUOTE]

I know the odds are 1,000,000:1 but I would kill to have I Can't Have You Blues.

And as previously mentioned, tacking on a Mad Season track or two in the next pack would be awesome.

Normally I'd be all over an AIC pack, but I haven't heard the new stuff, No Excuses is already in GH:M, and I'm still sick of Rooster.

In for Would? I suppose.

Just a heads up for everyone, the Lips patch is up... I'm not sure what else updated, but I can confirm the wireless mics now work.

[quote name='mcgavin27']The patch also includes drum sensitivity for the ions and stars on the quickplay screen finally.[/QUOTE]

I really have no interest in sensitivity on my ions.

[quote name='tgk2044']Just a heads up for everyone, the Lips patch is up... I'm not sure what else updated, but I can confirm the wireless mics now work.[/QUOTE]

omg.

About time....

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3082597#post3082597

Hello!

Breaking Benjamin will make their Rock Band debut next week with a three pack of songs available for download in the Rock Band Music Store. A five pack of songs from Alice in Chains, as well as songs from Kula Shaker and Just Kait will also be added next week to the Rock Band Music Store of downloadable content for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system and Wii™. Tracks from Foo Fighters will also be available for download next week for Rock Band Unplugged on PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system.

Rock Band DLC Additions for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 System and Wii
American alternative metal outfit Breaking Benjamin will release three songs for Rock Band Sept. 29, day-and-date with the band’s fourth album release, Dear Agony. The three pack of songs features the single from Dear Agony, “I Will Not Bow,” as well as “So Cold,” from the band’s second album, We Are Not Alone, and “The Diary of Jane,” from the band’s third album, Phobia.

A five pack of songs from alternative rockers Alice in Chains joins “Man in the Box,” available on-disc on Rock Band 2. The five pack features the band’s new single, “A Looking in View” from the band’s first album in 14 years, titled Black Gives Way to Blue, which will be released day-and-date with the DLC pack. Alice in Chains has sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and has received six Grammy nominations since their inception in Seattle in 1987. The five pack also includes “Would?”, which was featured in the soundtrack to the film Singles and won the award for Best Video from a Film at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards.

Additionally, multi-platinum selling English psychedelic rockers Kula Shaker make their Rock Band debut with “Hey Dude” and “Knight on the Town,” and Just Kait makes her Rock Band debut as well, with “U Suck.”

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (Sept. 29) and PlayStation 3 system (Oct. 1):

• Alice in Chains – “A Looking in View”
• Alice in Chains – “Check My Brain”
• Alice in Chains – “No Excuses”
• Alice in Chains – “Rooster”
• Alice in Chains – “Would?”
• Breaking Benjamin – “I Will Not Bow”
• Breaking Benjamin – “So Cold”
• Breaking Benjamin – “The Diary of Jane”
• Just Kait – “U Suck” *
• Kula Shaker – “Hey Dude”
• Kula Shaker – “Knight on the Town”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Alice in Chains Pack 01” and as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system and as individual tracks on Wii.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
$8.49 USD, £5.25 and €6.59 (680 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Alice in Chains Pack 01”
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track
*Denotes $.99 (80 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) or $1.00 (100 Wii Points) per track

Rock Band Unplugged Tracks for PSP®System

Rock Band Unplugged fans will enjoy the addition of Foo Fighters “Monkey Wrench” and “Lonely as You” to the 43 tracks already available via the Rock Band Unplugged in-game music store for the PSP system.

Tracks available for Rock Band Unplugged (Oct. 1):

• Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench”
• Foo Fighters – “Lonely As You”

Price:

$1.99, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU per track on the PSP system

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

Good week, in for Would? and Diary of Jane

for those complaining about AIC releasing the new album under that moniker: it's not like a band has never done this before. Look at AC/DC. no one blinks at that. besides, Layne didn't write that much, as AIC was Cantrell's band to begin with. The new album is basically a Jerry Cantrell solo album, and the new guy just adds to Jerry's vocals most of the time. I don't see a problem with it, and this is coming from a HUGE AIC fan.

haven't heard new AiC yet but I'm totally in for the classic stuff. Very pleased with the song selection, and it's great to know there will be another pack later! My only regret is that we can't officially sing harmonies in "No Excuses," oh well!

Everyone should at least get "Would?". It's got the greatest chorus ever, seriously. I've never understood everyone's hard-on for "No Excuses". It's an alright song, but far from their best.

Some stuff I'd like to see in the second pack, in the order of how much I want it:

1. "Bleed the Freak"
2. "Rain When I Die"
3. "Down in a Hole"
4. "Angry Chair"
5. "Get Born Again"

[quote name='Trakan']Same reason Axl kept the Guns' name.

I still loved the album, but it's not Guns.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. The new AIC isn't AIC but it's still good. I almost wish they changed the name slightly like how "The Grateful Dead" went to "The Dead" - maybe just "Alice" would have been a better choice? Kind of like saying "it's Alice In Chains but not really." I am still way more pissed about the death of Layne than Kurt (although I wish there was more of both out there).

bread's done
Back