Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

1UP has an article that says U2 wants their own Rock Band. Think there's any chance? I wouldn't buy because I don't care about U2, but they are a huge band and it would be great for the series.

[quote name='YourFace']1UP has an article that says U2 wants their own Rock Band. Think there's any chance? I wouldn't buy because I don't care about U2, but they are a huge band and it would be great for the series.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I can see it now, the U2 dreamscape... Bono singing while injecting African children with vaccines. RE5 can suck it.

Disclaimer: I appreciate what Bono does for the world, but I just can't stand U2

Is Danzig GH exclusive for some reason that we'd never expect to see any Samhain?

Man, I don't want to give a dime to Activision, but seeing Astro Zombies planned for release this month really tested my will. Oh, and they were in GH: Metallica. Hmm. Dang.

My will succeeded, by the by.

Next week DLC:

GOOD MORNING!

In celebration of our good friends at Double Fine putting out Brütal Legend on Rocktober 13th we have a 3 pack of tracks from their soundtrack - Motörhead, Tenacious D, and Testament. If you'd like to hear more about the music in Brütal Legend we have a sweet interview with creator Tim Schafer on our brand spanking new bi-weekly podcast which you can find here on our podcast page (there's also an interview with Claudio from Coheed and Cambria!)

“These are three great songs that totally capture the feeling of Brütal Legend. I can’t wait to play them in Rock Band,” said Tim Schafer, founder of Double Fine Productions. “I’ve air-drummed to all of them so many times, I’m sure I’ll be able to beat them on hard mode, no problem. Or at least on medium. Like medium plus. That’s a setting, right?”

But the fun doesn't stop there Because we also have tracks from Black Tide, Blink-182, Joe Satriani, Kansas, and L7. We also have a track from Pearl Jam and one from Foreigner hitting Rock Band: Unplugged.

HAPPY ROCKTOBER!
Sean

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (Oct. 13) and PlayStation 3 system (Oct. 15):

• Motörhead – “(We Are) The Road Crew ‘08”
• Tenacious D – “The Metal”
• Testament – “More Than Meets the Eye”
• Black Tide – “Show Me the Way”
• Blink-182 – “What’s My Age Again?”
• Joe Satriani – “Satch Boogie”
• Joe Satriani – “Surfing with the Alien”
• Kansas – “Icarus (Borne on the Wings of Steel)” (Live from Two for the Show)
• Kansas – “Point of Know Return” (Live from Two for the Show)
• L7 – “Andres”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Brütal Legend Pack” and as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system and as individual tracks on Wii.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for “Brütal Legend Pack”
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

More Than Meets The Eye, Surfing With The Alien and Point of Know Return are definites for me. The latter two are addicting as hell to listen to, the former just kicks ass.

Joe Satriani! One less song to pull GHWT out for. It sucks that they didn't include Summer Song, which is possibly my favorite song ever.

Probably in for Satriani, even though "Surfing with the Alien" was on one of the other music games (GH3?). First have to check if I downloaded it for that other game.

I guess we know what the free 3 pack with Brutal Legend at Best Buy will be now... :)

I'll listen to the others, but I think I'll probably just get What's My Age Again and save my points for next week's week of awesome doom.

[size=+2]MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE[/size]

fucking amazing. Shame on you if you're the least bit interested in metal and skip this track.

In for the Motorhead song too as long as it's a decent remake. Tenacious D stinks but I may buy the pack anyway since I'd be getting a discount. Glad the AFI rumor was false.

[quote name='erectiontown']it sucks that we'll never get the best Tenacious D songs[/QUOTE]

We got two off their first album a week or so ago. The only other one that might see the light of day is Wonderboy.

[quote name='DJP519']I'm thinking full-on duets in RB3, along with harmonies. Stuff like Meat Loaf, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Lacuna Coil, etc, bands that often use two vocalists in the same song, they would work very well that way. I'm sure some of you can think of better examples as well...

And I'd imagine our existing libraries of older songs would continue to work, just as single vocalist only.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, I hope we finally get a Barenaked Ladies track that isn't Hanukkah-related. Some They Might Be Giants would be nice too.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Next week DLC:[/QUOTE]

I'm too broke for this. I haven't actually bought any DLC since maybe April or so (although I got a ton in the Pepsi promotion), but Queen should change that. :)

I was going through dlcquickplay.com to look at the user ratings for songs, and noticed something interesting regarding some of the grunge tracks. Whereas the Something in the Way and Master/Slave, the last songs to Nevermind and Ten respectively, are two of the lowest rated songs of all the DLC catalog, Would?, which is the ending to Dirt, is rated one of the best songs.

I'm probably going to buy Brutal Legend from Best Buy so I get that track pack for free, although I would buy it if I didn't get it free. I'll get Surfing too.

[quote name='pete5883']Eh, Master/Slave is kind of an exception.[/QUOTE]

True, that was more or less a hidden track, not unlike Endless Nameless, which really should've been in that Nirvana pack.

Lego Rock Band songs confirmed to export to RB2 the same way as RB1 tracks do. $9.99

Here's the full setlist, 45 songs:

PS3/Xbox 360 Version
All American Rejects, "Swing, Swing"
The Kooks, "Naïve"
The Automatic, "Monster"
KoRn, "Word Up!"
Blink-182, "Aliens Exist"
KT Tunstall, "Suddenly I See"
Blur, "Song 2"
Lostprophets, "Rooftops"
Bon Jovi, "You Give Love a Bad Name"
P!NK, "So What"
Boys like Girls, "Thunder"
The Police,
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
Bryan Adams, "Summer of 69"
The Primitives, "Crash"
Carl Douglas, "Kung Fu Fighting"
Queen, "We Are The Champions"
The Coral, "Dreaming of You"
Queen, "We Will Rock You"
Counting Crows, "Accidentally in Love"
Rascal Flatts, "Life is a Highway"
David Bowie, "Let's Dance"
Ray Parker Jr., "Ghostbusters"
Elton John, "Crocodile Rock"
Razorlight, "Stumble and Fall"
Europe, "The Final Countdown"
Spin Doctors, "Two Princes"
Everlife, "Real Wild Child"
Spinal Tap, "Short & Sweet"
Foo Fighters, "Breakout"
Steve Harly, "Make Me Smile"
Good Charlotte, "Girls & Boys"
Sum 41, "In Too Deep"
The Hives, "Tick Tick Boom!"
Supergrass, "Grace"
Iggy Pop, "The Passenger"
Tom Petty, "Free Fallin"
Incubus, "Dig"
T-Rex, "Ride a White Swan"
Jackson 5, "I Want You Back"
Vampire Weekend, "A-Punk"
Jimi Hendrix, "Fire"
We the Kings, "Check Yes Juliet"
Kaiser Chiefs, "Ruby"
The Zutons, "Valerie"
Katrina & The Waves, "Walking on Sunshine"

http://kotaku.com/5379562/lego-rock-band-ships-with-45-songs-music-censorship

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The same way? Meaning no code? We can just rent and transfer? Essentially, a $10, 45 song DLC pack? Badass! :)[/QUOTE]

I hope so! I'll be renting it for $5 and paying the $10 unlock fee!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The same way? Meaning no code? We can just rent and transfer? Essentially, a $10, 45 song DLC pack? Badass! :)[/QUOTE]

There is a code - check the most recent Joystiq or Kotaku articles. So, one time use only. If you're renting, you'd better be the first person to do so.

Pass. The one time use is bad enough, but there is no justification for charging double the money for less tracks (compared to RB1's export). The tracklist mostly stinks anyway.

[quote name='KaneRobot']There is a code - check the most recent Joystiq or Kotaku articles. So, one time use only. If you're renting, you'd better be the first person to do so.

Pass. The one time use is bad enough, but there is no justification for charging double the money for less tracks (compared to RB1's export). The tracklist mostly stinks anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I just saw this on Joystiq:

The Lego Rock Band disc export will cost $9.99 (800
microsoftpointslogosmall.gif
) and transfer all tracks from the Lego disc for use on the regular Rock Band platform. It appears to work in the same way as the conversion of the original Rock Band disc, except that owners will have to enter "a unique code from an insert in their game manual into a dedicated website" to activate the option.

TWO PRINCES!!!! Yes, I can now die happy. Its seems thought that Iam split on the setlist. All of the older songs I enjoy but the more recent tracks I could pass on. I'll still pick it up day one though.

There's some decent songs on there, but dunno.

But one thing I noticed. Is it just me, or is Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby on every single guitar game? I swear, that song feels like it's everywhere.

To be fair, it would be a pretty stupid business move to allow the "rent n' rip" method when they're trying to sell a brand new game. A RB1-style export would be great for us, sure, but it would kind of shit on the Lego RB developers.

If it stings that bad just look at it as buying two track packs, and getting five bonus songs and a new game to go with it. :p I guess it does kinda suck if you legitimately like only a few songs on the disc though, since they won't ever be available separately.

the tracklist looks really good to me... I do think though that they shouldn't be charging to Export if it's a one-time code.

Swing, Swing.

One of those songs in high school that would haunt me and secretly listen to and sing along with. Why does the past come back to get me?

well, I've got no real interest in Lego RB, but for 10 bucks plus a cheap rental (one of the only benefits of living in boofoo) I'll prolly rip the songs.

Can't wait for the Satriani tomorrow though! About fucking time!

It isn't rent and rip. Its input a code and pay 10 dollars to play in Rock Band 2. Basically the 10 dollars is to make the game cost full retail without charging you 60 dollars in store.

[quote name='DestroVega']the tracklist looks really good to me... I do think though that they shouldn't be charging to Export if it's a one-time code.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with this. I mean, the code is included with the game. So, by buying the game new, you're already paying for the code. It's almost like you're paying for the songs twice. The ability to keep all of your songs in one place should be a reward for being loyal to the brand.

[quote name='Trakan']Lego Rock Band songs confirmed to export to RB2 the same way as RB1 tracks do. $9.99

Here's the full setlist, 45 songs:

http://kotaku.com/5379562/lego-rock-band-ships-with-45-songs-music-censorship[/QUOTE]

I'm curious how the filtering and the radio edits are going to work. Since most of the songs are censored already, "radio edit" probably means "shorter" in this context.

I would've preferred a longer setlist, but I see a lot of songs on there I'm going to enjoy. Is Korn's "Word Up" a cover of the Cameo song? :shock:

[quote name='mcgavin27']TWO PRINCES!!!! Yes, I can now die happy. Its seems thought that Iam split on the setlist. All of the older songs I enjoy but the more recent tracks I could pass on. I'll still pick it up day one though.[/QUOTE]

That's about how I feel, although if Rock Band taught me anything I'll probably end up liking some or maybe even most of the songs I don't recognize.

It seems like there are a lot of British bands in the list. I have a feeling that was intentional.

[quote name='bardockkun']Swing, Swing.

One of those songs in high school that would haunt me and secretly listen to and sing along with. Why does the past come back to get me?[/QUOTE]

This means I'm going to have an All-American Rejects challenge in RB2 (I got Move Along and Dirty Little Secret as Pepsi songs). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']Ugh. I just saw this on Joystiq:[/QUOTE]

So, it's the same as the track packs and the RB2 free songs? Is anyone really surprised that Harmonix is doing it this way instead of letting you rip rental copies and cannibalizing their profits in the process?

The only reason RB1's transfer worked the way it did is because they decided to do it after the game had already shipped, when it was too late to give individual codes to each copy. Given that none of the games Harmonix has released since then have transferred like that, I'm surprised that anybody thought it would.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']It isn't rent and rip. Its input a code and pay 10 dollars to play in Rock Band 2. Basically the 10 dollars is to make the game cost full retail without charging you 60 dollars in store.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And I'm fine with that. No fee would be better, but since the game with transfer is $60, I don't see any reason to complain about the price.

Besides, it could always be worse - Guitar Hero 5's transfer cost money and left more than half of the songs on the disc in the process.

While I wouldn't call myself a fan of most of the tracks on the disc, I do find myself a lot more acceptable of songs in the RB/GH format. Some songs that I would never be caught dead listening to are actually a lot of fun to play on guitar/drums or in a party setting. So all that being said, this list looks to be a serious amount of friggin' fun!

so am I misunderstanding it and the songs will be availbable for 10 bucks, or u can buy the game and then pay 10 to export as well? I thought you needed a unique code, such as found on a manual, yet people say you don't need to rent it to rip it... Hell, even if that's the case, I could prolly go up to the vid store and take pics of the manual code with my camera...

I think I'm in for the Brutal Legends pack; better to buy it than skip the Motorhead. I might pick up the Kansas songs and maybe the L7 one depending on the chart.

And that setlist for Lego Rock Band is not bad at all, definitely worth importing. I'll try to snag a code from Blockbuster or something on release.

[quote name='lolwut?']I think I'm in for the Brutal Legends pack; better to buy it than skip the Motorhead. I might pick up the Kansas songs and maybe the L7 one depending on the chart.

And that setlist for Lego Rock Band is not bad at all, definitely worth importing. I'll try to snag a code from Blockbuster or something on release.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. The stores I've seen around here pull the manuals from games like this (because really, how many people actually read the manual for Rock Band?) or just stick in a photocopied sheet of instructions and hold the manual in the back until somebody buys the game. Even if they do include the manual, the employees and their friends will probably beat you to the punch.

Or...you could just, y'know, buy the game and support the developer instead of fucking over whoever ends up buying the rental copy down the line. You're on Cheap Ass Gamer - you know as well as we all do that as soon as the game drops, it'll be all over the site. If you wait a few months, you'll probably be able to find the game for $40 or $30. If you buy it new, GameStop gives something like $30 on first-week trade-ins. Why not do one of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
This means I'm going to have an All-American Rejects challenge in RB2 (I got Move Along and Dirty Little Secret as Pepsi songs). I don't know if that's a good thing or not. :lol:
[/QUOTE]
I Want to say bad thing, but then again I'm gonna make sure no one is awake and put in Lego Rock Band and sing some "Swing, Swing" all by my awkward lonesome.

The Zutons are finally making an appearance in one of these games, although Valerie definitely isn't their best song for a rhythm game. Not enough songs that I like in Lego Rock Band to get me to grab it though. Hope they put up some DLC for some of the bands that are making their first appearance on Lego Rock Band.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Want to say bad thing, but then again I'm gonna make sure no one is awake and put in Lego Rock Band and sing some "Swing, Swing" all by my awkward lonesome.[/QUOTE]

I think I posted a list of the songs I got from the Pepsi promotion in that thread, as a reference for myself. That list completely invalidates any opinions I have on what constitutes "good" music. :oops:

That said, this...
[quote name='Superfro33']While I wouldn't call myself a fan of most of the tracks on the disc, I do find myself a lot more acceptable of songs in the RB/GH format. Some songs that I would never be caught dead listening to are actually a lot of fun to play on guitar/drums or in a party setting. So all that being said, this list looks to be a serious amount of friggin' fun![/QUOTE]
...tends to hold true for me. There are songs I love to play in the games that I'd never admit to enjoying.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']Hope they put up some DLC for some of the bands that are making their first appearance on Lego Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't surprise me, since Harmonix seems to prefer licensing songs in groups. I'd like some more Counting Crows, Kaiser Chiefs, and Hendrix. Elton John could be fun depending on which songs they picked. More Sum 41 would be good, too - I haven't gotten around to buying Guitar Hero Smash Hits, so I'd love "Fat Lip" as DLC.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That said, this...

...tends to hold true for me. There are songs I love to play in the games that I'd never admit to enjoying.[/QUOTE]heheheh, it's so true. A couple of "Rock Band nights" at my place changed my whole approach to buying DLC. Crowd favorites are my main priority now (perhaps even moreso than my own musical tastes). From that perspective especially, Lego RB is gonna be pretty amazing.

So...Queen anyone?

http://kotaku.com/5380413/queen-guitarist-says-dedicated-rock-band-game-may-happen

The Beatles Rock Band game looks to be a blueprint for other big time bands keen to cash in on a dedicated Rock Band title — big time bands like, say, Queen.

The group is already making an appearance in LEGO Rock Band. "It's the ultimate accolade, to be portrayed in Lego," Queen guitarist Brian May told BBC. "My dreams are all fulfilled now."

We could very well see more of Queen (and only Queen!) in a future Rock Band installment.

According to May, there has been talk "going on behind the scenes" about a dedicated Queen Rock Band game. "Yes, we're into it," said May, "I think it may happen."

In the UK, the band's greatest hits album has outsold Sgt. Pepper's so maaaybe going from The Beatles to Queen isn't such a stretch.

Far from confirmed, but this would definitely be a day-1 purchase for me if they put the same effort into it they did the Beatles game. This would probably surpass the Metallica game as my favorite single-focus band game.

Personally I'd rather have custom bands/dreamscapes as a feature in RB3, rather than any more dedicated band games. I begrudgingly accepted the "walled garden" approach of The Beatles, and they're my favorite band.

The weird thing with Queen, though, is that they'll already have 12 of their biggest songs in the main game already. I guess it wouldn't matter if the game wasn't exportable.

bread's done
Back