Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm loving RB3, the keyboard is super-quality, the interface is slick, the game has never looked better, and yet I can't help but feel like something's off. I can't quite put my finger on it.[/QUOTE]

For me, not being able to assign certain members of my band to specific instruments. I do like how if you have female and male band members, they'll switch depending on the gender of the singer in the song.

It's such a seemingly small thing, but the use of goals to unlock clothes is incredibly infuriating for me. I can't recreate some of my favorite band members from RB2 because the items I need require me to do absurd things like beat every song in RB 3 on Expert. While the goal based unlock system is kind of cool, I wish they had also provided an alternate means.

[quote name='deszaras']For me, not being able to assign certain members of my band to specific instruments. I do like how if you have female and male band members, they'll switch depending on the gender of the singer in the song.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. It's a mixed blessing. I'd prefer to make a drummer that is ALWAYS my drummer, not sometimes my bass player. But, at least I don't have a man singing a female lead vocal anymore. Also, why do we still only have four members of the band? Shouldn't we have five now? And finally, while it's nice to see the guitar and bass player "sing" the backing/harmonizing lyrics, why don't they sing into a microphone stand?

Little things, very minor gripes, of course.

Dumb question but, do the Rock Band 2 songs that are exported or imported or what ever have key board parts? I saw a lot of my dlc didn't have keyboard parts except for maybe one or two songs.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Dumb question but, do the Rock Band 2 songs that are exported or imported or what ever have key board parts? I saw a lot of my dlc didn't have keyboard parts except for maybe one or two songs.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I think they said they might go back and add keyboard parts to a few tracks here and there (DLC, I mean), but the only "extras" that tracks before RB3 are guaranteed to have are pro drums...and a few have harmonies (Pearl Jam).

The problem I have with this is that there are quite a few songs on the RB3 disc that don't have keyboard parts as it is...so it doesn't really feel like they're showcasing the new instrument very well. They basically had to do that though otherwise you'd get people freaking out going "NEEDS MOAR METALLLLL!!!!!". Billy Joel will help with that, but I really wish that had been their Week 2 DLC to follow The Doors (did we really need Doors repricing to be a special event?). It would have made for a great 1-2 combo to show that keyboard is where it's at.

But right now, I feel like I play 10-15 songs on keyboard and I'm done. They could have been a lot ballsier if they wanted to showcase it. We could have Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Charles, Ben Folds, Coldplay, Jack's Mannequin, Stevie Wonder, and a ton of others I'm just not thinking of. I think they just didn't want to rock the boat too much with the disc content. Hopefully all of these artists show up as DLC very soon.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Dumb question but, do the Rock Band 2 songs that are exported or imported or what ever have key board parts? I saw a lot of my dlc didn't have keyboard parts except for maybe one or two songs.[/QUOTE]
The Harmonix songs that were taken out of the Rock Band 2 export (Visions, Night Lies, etc.) will be coming back as free DLC sometime in the future with full pro, harmonies and keys support. Other then that, none of the Rock Band 2 songs will make the cut in getting extra features.

Yes to linking being active!!! This is a really cool feature. Glad to not have a weird gamescore anymore!!! :D

For those having trouble with the achievement....

Once you successfully link your account, you should be able to see your stats on rockband.com.
All you need to do is exit to the dashboard and reload RB3. It should then connect, find your page and unlock the achievement.

I was able to link although it gave me an error when I tried to log in during the linking process. The error appeared but I was still logged in, it appears to have worked.

No achievement pop up though...I'm sure there's a delay.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I was able to link although it gave me an error when I tried to log in during the linking process. The error appeared but I was still logged in, it appears to have worked.

No achievement pop up though...I'm sure there's a delay.[/QUOTE]

Exact same thing happened to me with login. As for the achievement, as mentioned above, quit to the dashboard, and reload the game, it popped right away for me after that.

I tried getting my code for linking a week ago, but I can't entirely make out the letters of the code on an SDTV.

WOuld it help if I hooked it up to Component or do i have to do it at a friend's house who has an HDTV?

What happened to the link site on rockband.com

They have a bunch of crap on it now and no link to enter your link code.

I have to agree with keyboard. It seems like you're missing out on a lot of the game by just playing the keyboard. Most of the songs on keys are pretty hard, especially the classic rock, and it seems like you're just playing the same 10-12 songs all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, I'm a "veteran" to this site, but I have neglected going on here.

RB2 was one of my fav games (and i'm 41) and i'm loving RB3 even with all the little differences from RB2.

I don't have the keyboard yet (not really interested in it (see my the BASS in my name? heh), but the wife plays IRL and is kinda wanting it now.

I want to say thanks for the codes for the guitars....very cool.

Now a question, I don't own AC/DC, but if I rented/borrowed that and maybe Green Day would the codes work or are they invalid after they have been used once?

[quote name='irratebass']Hey everyone, I'm a "veteran" to this site, but I have neglected going on here.

RB2 was one of my fav games (and i'm 41) and i'm loving RB3 even with all the little differences from RB2.

I don't have the keyboard yet (not really interested in it (see my the BASS in my name? heh), but the wife plays IRL and is kinda wanting it now.

I want to say thanks for the codes for the guitars....very cool.

Now a question, I don't own AC/DC, but if I rented/borrowed that and maybe Green Day would the codes work or are they invalid after they have been used once?[/QUOTE]

Yep, both are 1 time use codes, along with almost all the other RB games/track packs, minus RB1, which you just need the disc.

Man, I hate Antibodies. Not a good song to listen to, and the instrument parts are just difficult while not being fun to play.

Dashboard-ed out, went back into RB3...now it just says connecting to Rock Central servers constantly. LOL. Oh well. Whenever it finally does connect I assume I'll get the achievement.

[quote name='2DMention']I tried getting my code for linking a week ago, but I can't entirely make out the letters of the code on an SDTV.

WOuld it help if I hooked it up to Component or do i have to do it at a friend's house who has an HDTV?[/quote]

If you don't have an HDTV, hooking it up via component would probably help quite a bit, especially if you're just using composite now. It would still be small but it would be much sharper.

I have to agree with keyboard. It seems like you're missing out on a lot of the game by just playing the keyboard. Most of the songs on keys are pretty hard, especially the classic rock, and it seems like you're just playing the same 10-12 songs all the time.
The value of the keyboard is going to take a while to manifest, and you definitely will have to spend money on DLC to get the most out of it. We've had like 3 years of downloads that didn't include it - there are a ton of back catalog songs that were sort of a missed opportunity, but obviously they are taking keys into account now quite a bit with new DLC releases. It'll probably be that way for the forseeable future.

Hopefully some one can help me out.

I'm doing the Road Challenges and I got enough spades to complete the challenge but can't unlock the next Road Challenge. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I think I saw something about needing more fans. How do I get more? I played through the same Road Challenge a couple times and still don't have enough.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Dashboard-ed out, went back into RB3...now it just says connecting to Rock Central servers constantly. LOL. Oh well. Whenever it finally does connect I assume I'll get the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Sorry my tip didn't help ya out man. I got it early this afternoon, right when it first was activated.

Looks like many people are trying to set up accounts this evening and I'm sure HMX is trying their best with the overflow.

No luck for me getting the achievement either. Also I'm having trouble redeeming my rb2 token to download the songs. Gives me an error message.

I think the "Rock Central" servers just crashed or were overloaded. In-game, I couldn't access leaderboards or anything that required access to the servers. I was definitely connected to XBL, just not to "Rock Central." I'm sure it'll straighten out in the next few days.

I Haven't been able to connect to Rock Central servers since day one. So for some reason my friends could see my scores, but I couldn't see shit on my end.

[quote name='Trakan']Oh shit, after you 5-Star 50 songs on Medium guitar you get the ability to play keys on guitar.

Cold as Ice just got that much better.

It throws some fuckin' weird ass note combinations at you though. Green/Yellow/Orange and Green/Blue/Orange chords.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I am a little confused on how to unlock the guitar charts for use with the keyboard. I am fairly sure I remember reading somewhere that 5-starring 50 songs on guitar on medium (or 3-stars on higher difficulties) would unlock the option. By my count I played 51 songs on guitar all on the hard or expert setting, but nothing popped up to say that I can now keytar it up.

What gives? I do have a few 3 and 4 stars on some of the expert songs. Do I need to go back and 5-star those? Or maybe all the songs have to be from RB3?

Wow, just checkout tattoos for the first time, and they have pretty much botched that. No more arm sleeves, no more stomach tattoos. What. The. fuck, Harmonix?!

Not to mention, they have taken out a decent amount of the art that was in the 2nd game. I just do not understand why on Earth features and content from the 1st two games gets dropped. Especially considering they look at Rock Band as a platform, where there is virtually no reason in owning any version of the game except for the most current release.

[quote name='blue_volvo']Hmm, I am a little confused on how to unlock the guitar charts for use with the keyboard. I am fairly sure I remember reading somewhere that 5-starring 50 songs on guitar on medium (or 3-stars on higher difficulties) would unlock the option. By my count I played 51 songs on guitar all on the hard or expert setting, but nothing popped up to say that I can now keytar it up.

What gives? I do have a few 3 and 4 stars on some of the expert songs. Do I need to go back and 5-star those? Or maybe all the songs have to be from RB3?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much every goal that has complete X amount of songs all have to be Rock Band 3 songs.

[quote name='RallyV']Hopefully some one can help me out.

I'm doing the Road Challenges and I got enough spades to complete the challenge but can't unlock the next Road Challenge. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I think I saw something about needing more fans. How do I get more? I played through the same Road Challenge a couple times and still don't have enough.[/QUOTE]

You can get fans by completing the specific instrument and band goals, eg getting 100% on a guitar song on expert or 5-starring 25 RB3 songs. Look under Career, then My Goals for easy goals.

[quote name='RallyV']Hopefully some one can help me out.

I'm doing the Road Challenges and I got enough spades to complete the challenge but can't unlock the next Road Challenge. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I think I saw something about needing more fans. How do I get more? I played through the same Road Challenge a couple times and still don't have enough.[/QUOTE]

What other people have said - Use another instrument if you can.

I was using keyboard only and was in the same predicament as you. I then plugged in my GH2 guitar and played a couple of songs on expert. I literally have no idea what challenges I completed because I was completing so many at once (It would just say something like "7 challenges completed"). I couldn't keep up with the road gigs after that.

[quote name='DrMunkee']What other people have said - Use another instrument if you can.

I was using keyboard only and was in the same predicament as you. I then plugged in my GH2 guitar and played a couple of songs on expert. I literally have no idea what challenges I completed because I was completing so many at once (It would just say something like "7 challenges completed"). I couldn't keep up with the road gigs after that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I usually just sing since I'm not as good with the instruments. I guess I'll have to pick up one again.

If I play with my husband do we both need to get extra fans or can one of us do it to complete the Road Challenges?

Here's next week's DLC:

Bon Jovi – “Bad Medicine”
Bon Jovi – “Blaze of Glory”
Bon Jovi – “Have a Nice Day”
Bon Jovi – “I’ll Be There For You”
Bon Jovi – “It’s My Life”
Bon Jovi – “Lay Your Hands On Me”
Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “Runaway” X
Bon Jovi – “Wanted Dead or Alive (RB3 version)” X
Bon Jovi – “We Weren’t Born to Follow”
Bon Jovi – “Who Says You Can’t Go Home”
Bon Jovi – “You Give Love a Bad Name (RB3 version)” X
Deftones – “My Own Summer (Shove It)” X
New Order – “Blue Monday” X
Talking Heads – “Burning Down the House” X

(All tracks are original master recordings)

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Nov. 10)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks, as well as “Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition” on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song

$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.75 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

$19.99, £9.99 UK, €14.99 EU (1,600 Microsoft Points, 2,000 Wii Points) for Bon Jovi Greatest Hits: Rock Band Edition

I don't really like the fact that they're re-releasing songs from previous Rock Bands for full price. If there were a way to upgrade for a buck or something, I'd consider biting, but $2 so you can get the keyboard parts doesn't seem worth it.

[quote name='RallyV']Thanks for the tips. I usually just sing since I'm not as good with the instruments. I guess I'll have to pick up one again.

If I play with my husband do we both need to get extra fans or can one of us do it to complete the Road Challenges?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that only one person needs to do it. The fans are linked to the "band", not the individual, so as long as one person has a good game, all should feel the benefits.

[quote name='epb']Here's next week's DLC:

I don't really like the fact that they're re-releasing songs from previous Rock Bands for full price. If there were a way to upgrade for a buck or something, I'd consider biting, but $2 so you can get the keyboard parts doesn't seem worth it.[/QUOTE]

fuckin' sweet. Sucks there's no "Keep the Faith" but I'll live. I kind of agree about re-releases, but I'm glad I can get "You Give Love a Bad Name" now.

Yugck. I try to ban Bon Jovi songs when we play Rock Band but it never sticks, someone always has to sing Wanted Dead Or Alive. I hate Bon Jovi.

An MTV exec has mentioned NIN getting Pro support and the remastered Pretty Hate Machine is due out this month...

Hmm...

...I guess this would be a way to fix my skipping/distorting issue with Wanted Dead or Alive that I mentioned a few pages ago (I would think the "upgrade" is actually a new file rather than a patch, unless they were somehow planning adding this stuff as far back as RB1...not f'ing likely), but I'm not sure I want to play that song anyway.

Probably in for 2 or 3 Bon Jovi songs. Definitely in for Burning Down the House, that was the only thing I wanted from the Gamestop preorder.

[quote name='epb']Here's next week's DLC:

I don't really like the fact that they're re-releasing songs from previous Rock Bands for full price. If there were a way to upgrade for a buck or something, I'd consider biting, but $2 so you can get the keyboard parts doesn't seem worth it.[/QUOTE]

Not interested in any of these really, except maybe Runaway, but thanks for posting.

Also I want to add this to my original post and fogot. I am looking to play RB3 with ANYONE, I have 88 downloaded songs, mostly Iron Maiden and Megadeth, but yeah. I don't care if you play on EASY or EXPERT, I just want to play and have some fun....so send me an invite and let's jam.

Updated
GT: irratebass

[quote name='irratebass']Not interested in any of these really, except maybe Runaway, but thanks for posting.

Also I want to add this to my original post and fogot. I am looking to play RB3 with ANYONE, I have 88 downloaded songs, mostly Iron Maiden and Megadeth, but yeah. I don't care if you play on EASY or EXPERT, I just want to play and have some fun....so send me an invite and let's jam.[/QUOTE]

Psst...mention your gamertag in your post or, better yet, to the left under your name.

[quote name='Trakan']An MTV exec has mentioned NIN getting Pro support and the remastered Pretty Hate Machine is due out this month...

Hmm...[/QUOTE]

Now THAT would be awesome. NIN is a great choice for the keytar.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Psst...mention your gamertag in your post or, better yet, to the left under your name.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mang

I linked to RockBand.com, but it still says I haven't played yet on the website. Anyone else have a similar issue? I mean I can see on the home page that it is reporting some people unlocking goals and stuff. So it appears to be working for others.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I linked to RockBand.com, but it still says I haven't played yet on the website. Anyone else have a similar issue? I mean I can see on the home page that it is reporting some people unlocking goals and stuff. So it appears to be working for others.[/QUOTE]

I think most people are getting the same thing right now, mine isn't updating either. Some people that got it to work early probably have results popping up.

Anyone having problems getting the achievement for beating 3 80's metal songs? I've played 4 so far and still don't have the achievement.

[quote name='tcrash247']Anyone having problems getting the achievement for beating 3 80's metal songs? I've played 4 so far and still don't have the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Be careful- some songs which were originally recorded in the 80's were re-recorded for release on Rock Band. You're probably well aware of that fact, but that may be the reason.

[quote name='Trakan']An MTV exec has mentioned NIN getting Pro support and the remastered Pretty Hate Machine is due out this month...

Hmm...[/QUOTE]
:hot:

Pro support, or keyboard support? Or both?

Next week is probably a skip week for me. Not a real big Bon Jovi fan (as a matter of fact I think they are a terrible). I might get Blue Monday though given the charts are fun.

I've exited to the dashboard, then restarted the game; played a couple of songs; and have actually unlinked my account, then re-entered my code.

According to rockband.com, I'm linked, but I STILL have not received that damn 6-point achievement :bomb:

Shouldn't it have given me that "achievement chime" as soon as the game loaded?

[quote name='tcrash247']Anyone having problems getting the achievement for beating 3 80's metal songs? I've played 4 so far and still don't have the achievement.[/QUOTE]

Has to be guitar, has to be DLC.

[quote name='pete5883']:hot:

Pro support, or keyboard support? Or both?[/QUOTE]

“There’s stuff we could work on going forward, new stuff that hasn’t been out there before, that features all of the feature set, and my guess is you’ll see the community and our team suggesting Nine Inch Nails pretty quickly to be available for upgrade, from the catalog that’s out there.”

Both I'm guessing.

http://www.rockbandaide.com/8605/mtv-games-exec-on-pro-guitar-dlc-pricing-availability-and-more/

Don't mean to double post but I saw this and found it interesting.

Henry posted a clarification/amendment. Apparently, going forward but maybe for Bon Jovi, any re-done songs with Pro Guitar/Bass parts will also have available Pro Guitar/Bass add-ons for the original versions. So, say they re-release Foreplay/Long Time. There would be three files-

- Pro Guitar/Bass for the old version ($1)
- The new version with keys/Pro keys/harmonies ($2)
- Pro Guitar/Bass for the new version ($1)

[quote name='Trakan']Has to be guitar, has to be DLC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I may have done some on disc stuff and I believe I did one or two on bass.

bread's done
Back