RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Are there only 75 songs or does it have hidden bonus tracks?[/quote]
84 Songs on the disc and 20 more coming via download for free long as you got the code for it.

If this game has taught me anything so far, it's that bands with chick singers SUCK!

Dear God, I shall forever avoid setlists, if at all possible, that contain ANY chick bands. blech. Just plain boring to play. I'm not a fan of The Donnas, but at least that was fun in GH2. These chick bands all suuuuck. Also, I almost fell asleep during the Beastie Boys song...

[quote name='Zmonkay']If this game has taught me anything so far, it's that bands with chick singers SUCK!

Dear God, I shall forever avoid setlists, if at all possible, that contain ANY chick bands. blech. Just plain boring to play. I'm not a fan of The Donnas, but at least that was fun in GH2. These chick bands all suuuuck. Also, I almost fell asleep during the Beastie Boys song...[/quote]
Man, you gotta get on the mic. then.

[quote name='Zmonkay'] Also, I almost fell asleep during the Beastie Boys song...[/quote]

QFT, honestly a terrible selection for a Beastie Boys song... that song is so boring to play.

[quote name='bardockkun']Man, you gotta get on the mic. then.[/quote]

6024.jpg

Waaah.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']
6024.jpg

Waaah.[/quote]
Are you telling me when you sing Beastie Boys that you don't grab your junk in one hand and the mic in the other?

[quote name='DestroVega']wow Jadakiss... YIKES

what beastie boys song is on RB2... i don't even remember one being there.[/quote]
So what'cha what'cha what'cha want?!

So I played Alive today for like the 12th time. Then I almost picked a setlist with it in it again but chose another and got the "Replace one song with a random song for extra fans" thing, accepted it, and got....Alive. '

Then I did a mystery setlist:

-Welcome Home (Coheed & Cambria)
-Ten Speed (Coheed & Cambria)

How.

great song, great video, awful RB song....

they should have used "Remote Control" or "She's Crafty"

maybe due to samples, they can't

GHWT has "No Sleep 'till Brooklyn" I think... good choice.

[quote name='bardockkun']Man, you gotta get on the mic. then.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it'll prolly be a lot of fun on the mic, but I was playing guitar... (shudder).

As others have said, there are better Beastie songs for a BAND game (though pretty much any of there stuff would be fun for just a mic game).

[quote name='lolwut?']Damn, after seeing all these questions, people really don't like to go through the thread.

Trade it into Blockbuster for $32[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a sweet deal but there are no BB around here. 32 dollars would be great.

So, I ended up picking up the new wireless drum set today and compared to the launch bundle set I have, it's 100x better. It seems as though I still get an occasional dropped (or double) red hit.

But on the plus side, I seem to have improved quite a bit by just upgrading my drums. :)

Hehe I too finally picked up a drumset. Seems that the improved sensitivity is primarily in the small inner circle (tested this is in freestyle). The outer ring however...ew? It's like RB1 once you venture out. I suppose you can't have everything.

I went out and bought a drum throne from Guitar Center today, a lot more comfortable than the wooden chair I was using.

The Megadeth album is pretty tough on drums, I finished all but two of the songs on expert. I still need to unlock Peace Sells in the tour, really want to play that one!

I really like how you can switch between instruments using one character unlike in RB1, convenient when you or someone wants to switch off. Although the only problem for me is I play lefty guitar/bass and regular drums, so I have to go into the pause menu and switch lefty mode. Not sure if there's an option to remember my lefty mode preferences for each instrument.

Alright, finally played What'cha Want on guitar (since all the other times I've only been singing it) and yeah, I HATE the songs with the long ass breaks. Like Beck and some of the other ones I can't remember...

Although I won't know what I will do with my current RB1 drum set, I really want to play RB2 with the GH: World Tour drums. Can barely hear the music over the drums right now.

Lastly, some folks have been asking about the status of the previously discussed Jukebox Mode. This mode was removed from Rock Band 2 in the final stages of development. We have no immediate plans to bring this feature back to the platform in the future.

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='DestroVega']in essence... can't you basically get jukebox mode by playing no fail mode and not playing along?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FluxDF']From what I've read, you still have to hit correct notes to get the right music to play.[/QUOTE]

I can verify this with the drums in any case as my 5 year-old doesn't want to play for real, so I thought he could try No Fail mode. Sure, he didn't fail, but it sounded bad and the audience jeers and boos so it hardly makes for good listening :lol:.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Not on vocals.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so if you pick vocals you can just let it play? I'll try that if I'm ever in the mood to listen. Though, really, I don't mind just chilling out with the guitar on easy or something when I just want to listen. It's not like I can crank up the sound and play it that often anyway - and when I do I usually want to play the game ;).

[quote name='DestroVega']
do they give you cash or credit to BB?... I'm gonna probably look to trade this in if they are still doing it, has anyone had a problem trading it in at all for the full $32?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BustaUppa']I had no problem getting $32 store credit for it. That was last week though... wouldn't surprise me if the release of RB2 affects the trade-in value.

And I'm not sure if they even give the option of cash trade-in, but if they do I'd imagine you get much less.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thrustbucket']One issue for trading games at blockbuster to be aware of:

The guy told me today that if you are a subscriber to any blockbuster passes (like I am) then your credit will be deducted to pay the subscription next billing cycle instead of your credit card.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaa!!?!? All these Blockbuster issues... Blockbuster gives store credit and never cash for trades. There will be no "problem" getting $32 for it because that's what they give for it. Trade-in prices change overmight Sunday night (for first thing Monday AM) though they used to change Tuesday AM (so to be safe we still wait till confirmation of prices Tues and beyond). That's why I traded mine last weekend. We have confirmation in the Blockbuster thread that the price held Mon or Tues. If it was still $32 Tuesday, it will still be $32 through this weekend.

As for the Blockbuster passes issue, I've never heard that - but wouldn't you prefer game trading credit be used over your credit card anyway? And if, for some reason, you don't, then get the trade credit on a Value card so it isn't tied to your store account. That way you can use it at other Blockbuster stores as well.

OK, back to Rock Band 2. I gave the drums a shot tonight when I could finally pry the sticks away from my son. I had never really played Rock Band with drums before except at the Best Buy demo setups (where, invariably, the green pad would be broken). I had little problem on Easy but barely made it through a few songs on Medium. Clearly I have my work cut out for me ;). My big problem was my foot cramping up - making the pedal painful to use...

As someone else said, being able to use the same character is great, as me and my son will want to switch all around (he does singing, guitar, and drums and I do guitar and drums) but use the same chars/band. When we get the GHWT bundle we'll have a second guitar and add bass to the mix as well. Though now I'm really wondering if I should bother with the full GHWT bundle or just get the guitar+game version... These RB2 drums sitting in my office taking up a good portion of the floor space are a good argument against getting another set.

The Main Drag - A Jagged Gorgeous Winter is easily the worst song in any guitar/music game (that I've gotten to so far.) Holy crap.

Has anyone purchased the drums from bestbuy? They have them online for 79.99 I was wondering if that is the in store price as well so I can use the coupon for $10 off.

Also, from the people that have the drums what do you think of them?

[quote name='io'] My big problem was my foot cramping up - making the pedal painful to use...[/quote]

Keep the pedal in the down position, lift up whole leg at hip and go down on beats. It will do wonders for the cramping and is actually easier to maintain a beat that way. There was an article on wired(?) with a few drum tips but I'm too lazy to search for the link.

I could be wrong, as I have little experience with the drums in RB, but the green pad is supposed to be the cymbal, right? If that's the case, how will this be addressed when using the GH:WT drums? Green is a regular pad, while yellow and orange are the "cymbals." It will be annoying if you have to hit the "wrong" part of the drum to get the appropriate sound in RB. Or maybe you will just play with mismatched colors. Has anything been directly said about how this will work?

In RB2, they changed the Green. I forget which one is the symbol now.

Also if you guys are looking for an easy achievement.....So whatca want on Expert Vocals ;)

[quote name='Vulcan2422']In RB2, they changed the Green. I forget which one is the symbol now.

Also if you guys are looking for an easy achievement.....So whatca want on Expert Vocals ;)[/quote]
The red pad is the snare, the yellow, blue, and green are all toms.
When, or if, you get the cymbals, the toms stay toms, and the cymbals are cymbals. So there's 1 red snare, 1 yellow tom and 1 yellow hi-hat, 1 blue tom and 1 blue cymbal, and 1 green tom and 1 green cymbal.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']In RB2, they changed the Green. I forget which one is the symbol now.

Also if you guys are looking for an easy achievement.....So whatca want on Expert Vocals ;)[/quote]

So Whatcha Want on Expert Bass is an easy achievement as well. It only uses the green fret button.

just traded in my RB1 copy to blockbuster for $32 and got RB2... now I'm gonna pick up the drums and new guiter and not wait for the bundle... it ends up being the same money spent now and no wait!

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']So Whatcha Want on Expert Bass is an easy achievement as well. It only uses the green fret button.[/quote]

If I knew this, I literally wouldn't have broken my case cause of Charlene and 20 tries. Yes, I have anger issues with games.

How about for Guitar?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']If I knew this, I literally wouldn't have broken my case cause of Charlene and 20 tries. Yes, I have anger issues with games.

How about for Guitar?[/quote]

Who the hell doesn't fall victim to frustration at times when you screw up shit that you always nail or should nail. Especially when you mess up right after you get through that hard part you usually miss.

Just as you think, "Oh snap! I hit it!" -chink-clink-plu-dink :bomb:

[quote name='Vulcan2422']If I knew this, I literally wouldn't have broken my case cause of Charlene and 20 tries. Yes, I have anger issues with games.

How about for Guitar?[/quote]

Haha, I actually got the achievement on Charlene before I played Watcha Want last night on Bass for the 1st time. I just about broke my controller on my 10th try at getting this achievment on Maps in RB1. Although if you are having trouble with these you can turn on lefty flip and play looking at the TV in a mirror and your normal downstrums will be upstrums. ;)

On Guitar I got it on We Got the Beat just playing through the tour.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']So Whatcha Want on Expert Bass is an easy achievement as well. It only uses the green fret button.[/QUOTE]

My god i just got this achievement. It took me about 8 tries on So Whatcha Want. I kept missing one note and i was getting so frustrated because it's so easy.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Haha, I actually got the achievement on Charlene before I played Watcha Want last night on Bass for the 1st time. I just about broke my controller on my 10th try at getting this achievment on Maps in RB1. Although if you are having trouble with these you can turn on lefty flip and play looking at the TV in a mirror and your normal downstrums will be upstrums. ;)
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Silver by Pixies is the easiest song for Expert Drums and Bass
Debaser by Pixies is the easiest song for Expert Singing
Charlene is probably your best bet for Expert Guitar, but I can gold star at least 80 songs on Expert.

So I was playing around with the drum trainer and noticed that it had a mode for drum fills. These are when you can use your Overdrive. Do you get special bonuses, or something, if you perform a particular fill in the drum fill part of a song? Otherwise, what's the point of the trainer covering it so much?

I don't think you get extra points for fills, I'm guessing its just for giving you some fills to add into your repertoire. Drum Trainer is fucking awesome BTW. I spent some good time on the drums today after only really playing guitar all since Sunday. Awesome stuff.

[quote name='jkanownik']Keep the pedal in the down position, lift up whole leg at hip and go down on beats. It will do wonders for the cramping and is actually easier to maintain a beat that way. There was an article on wired(?) with a few drum tips but I'm too lazy to search for the link.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I also think I need to get a stool or something. Sitting on the couch and playing is also part of the problem. I think I'm too low for the pedal.

I'll have to try some of these songs for the expert achievements - I pretty much had considered those impossible. Do you only get gold stars for perfect in Expert? It would have been nice to award bronze and silver stars for perfect in Medium/Hard.

Yup gold stars are only in expert. Its not necessary to get 100% for gold stars either, its based on score so good use of overdrive helps too.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']So Whatcha Want on Expert Bass is an easy achievement as well. It only uses the green fret button.[/QUOTE]

Wow... that... was retarded-ly easy. I was just worried I was going to fall asleep during it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back