RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH! I didn't know there was an update for Rock Band 1 available! Gonna do that right now and trade in my disc to Game Rush tonight! Thanks!

I got it yesterday, and have played it to the point where my fingers tingled from numbness. It's great if only because you can play World Tour with just one instrument; singing while on guitar is ridiculously hard and only got me 3 stars at a time if that.

[quote name='JJSP']The export feature is part of a title update for Rock Band 1. The update released sometime last week - it enables a feature to export the songs to the HD for $5. Once they're copied to the HD, there's no need for the RB disc anymore.

For anyone who doesn't have Rock Band already, it's entirely possible to go buy a used copy (or rent one), export the songs to the HD, and return the Rock Band disc, instantly doubling the available songs for future Rock Band titles (minus "Enter Sandman", "Paranoid", and "Run To The Hills", I believe).[/quote]

Two of which are covers, so I'm okay with

What is the price supposed to be for the Wireless Drums for Rock Band 2? Deep Discount has them listed for $68 but Amazon has them for $90? Doesn't make sense. I guess I'll order them from Deep Discount....

[quote name='Bigsauce']What is the price supposed to be for the Wireless Drums for Rock Band 2? Deep Discount has them listed for $68 but Amazon has them for $90? Doesn't make sense. I guess I'll order them from Deep Discount....[/QUOTE]
I ordered from deepdiscounts.com since it was more then $20 cheaper I did the 6.95 shipping so hopefully I get it by next weekend.

Probably yet another stupid question...

Can I play all my downloaded (paid for) RB1 songs in RB2?
Also, can I still buy some of the original RB1 songs through the RB2 disc?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Probably yet another stupid question...

Can I play all my downloaded (paid for) RB1 songs in RB2?
Also, can I still buy some of the original RB1 songs through the RB2 disc?[/quote]
Yep. Rock Band DLC isn't version specific - all existing and future downloadble content released for "Rock Band" will be compatible with both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, as well as any other Rock Band titles. Harmonix has said they're releasing DLC for the franchise and not for the games, meaning that if you want to play Megadeth's "Peace Sells" album with RB1, you'll be able to.

[quote name='DestroVega']wow.. that sucks... talk about so close yet so far...[/quote]

Lol, I know man, I went to another one and it isn't on the shelf yet. I'll be there at 11:59 tonight to pick it up though!!! Gonna watch The Office Season 4 till then!!!

If your looking to p/u the game a day early, check a chain called the xchange if you have one. Snagged a copy last night here on the westside of Cleveland.

[quote name='koogabah']Lol, I know man, I went to another one and it isn't on the shelf yet. I'll be there at 11:59 tonight to pick it up though!!! Gonna watch The Office Season 4 till then!!![/quote]

season 4 only had a few bright spots to me, but that finale' is classic

Just letting everyone know, DeepBlueVibes, one of the big-time drum players, reviewed the Ion kit at Scorehero. While he said it was good, and much better than the stock kit, the only advantage it has over the GoodWoods mods is the customization and realism. Direct quote:

Finally, to be honest, the only thing this set has over the GoodWoods is the customization and realism of the pads and cymbals: otherwise, a solid set of GoodWoods is going to get you the same near-zero dropped notes/no cross talk/no double hits setup that the ION would, if all you care about is that.

So to break it down:

The ION kit is the exact same as the goodwoods in terms of sensitivity/no screwed up hits, but it adds customization/realism to the set, and the ION kit is a bit louder, as well as much larger and thus not anywhere near as compact.
Also, the pedal pretty much sucks:

The pedal absolutely sucks. It's not stock pedal bad, admittedly, but it sticks in place during some hits, and it's EXTREMELY loud. It also isn't very comfortable, but it does stay in place pretty well.
So, assuming you're hardcore and you're going to replace the pedal, here's a breakdown of the costs of the GoodWoods vs. the Ion kit:

Ion
$300 Kit
$18 Tax (6%)
$69.95 Rock pedal
$13 shipping for Rock pedal

Total: $400.95

GoodWoods
$149 Mods
$20 shipping for mods
$69.95 Rock pedal

Total: $251.95

Yeah, I seriously doubt the customization is worth the extra $149. I plan on going with at least the Rock pedal

I don't like the way this game does solo tour. It's very similar to World Tour in RB1. I just want to be able to play songs from a list, and unlock the songs I want. I don't want to play each gay song 3 times before I unlock the good ones.

[quote name='screwkick']Is this game going to be available at Walmart tonight?[/quote]

should be.. unless the person running electronics at night is just flat-out lazy... which is possible.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I don't like the way this game does solo tour. It's very similar to World Tour in RB1. I just want to be able to play songs from a list, and unlock the songs I want. I don't want to play each gay song 3 times before I unlock the good ones.[/quote]

I'm 90% sure there's challenges that allow you to do just that.

I'm guessing this has been adressed already but, only the game will be availible tomarrow? No bundles or Drums/Guitars sold seperatly yet?

[quote name='evanft']I'm 90% sure there's challenges that allow you to do just that.[/quote]

Well, I figured out that you can ignore the setlists, and just play single songs. Which is good, because I hate random setlists.

And yeah, only the game will be available tomorrow. Which sucks, because I was actually going to buy the bundle and keep a legit copy of the game. But since they won't be releasing the bundle until a couple of days before GH: World Tour, I'm going to get that instead. So Harmonix just lost $189.99 from me. :whistle2:(

You can also just play the challenges; there's a series of "marathon" lists that play every song in order of difficulty, not unlike the old games.

I know most people aren't sticking with RB1 but I noticed that once you export the tracks, if you are playing RB1, everything loads quicker. Nice subtle touch.

Alanis Morisette...strangely fun to sing.

And on the main menu page of the Rock Band 2 menu it says "Ooh, the "normal" people are getting their copies of Rock Band 2 tomorrow."

I know the price will be the same at all retailers, but is anybody offering any freebies with purchase. I think Gamestop was offering up a tshirt with preorder, but I was wondering if anybody knew of anything else. Thanks.

[quote name='bardockkun']Alanis Morisette...strangely fun to sing.

And on the main menu page of the Rock Band 2 menu it says "Ooh, the "normal" people are getting their copies of Rock Band 2 tomorrow."[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that. They also have the 'Pre-Release Challenge'. And there's a note saying that they hope you're playing a legit copy.

[quote name='Corvin']I know most people aren't sticking with RB1 but I noticed that once you export the tracks, if you are playing RB1, everything loads quicker. Nice subtle touch.[/quote]
Do you mean export the RB1 tracks to play on RB2? If so, how? I don't see that option.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Do you mean export the RB1 tracks to play on RB2? If so, how? I don't see that option.[/quote]You can export the songs for $5 on the original RB Menu.I think it's under options. In total,all the songs take up 1.52 GB.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Do you mean export the RB1 tracks to play on RB2? If so, how? I don't see that option.[/QUOTE]
Same concept as loading things to the HD, I assume. Once you've exported the tracks to the HD, playing the RB1 disc would presumably boot the tracks from the HD instead of the disc. Things load faster from the HD than they do the optical drive, and with less strain on the drive itself.

I've yet to see anything in MD. Stopped at both Tarjeh and GS - both don't have it till Sunday. Apparently all the MD ones have "

[quote name='JJSP']Same concept as loading things to the HD, I assume. Once you've exported the tracks to the HD, playing the RB1 disc would presumably boot the tracks from the HD instead of the disc. Things load faster from the HD than they do the optical drive, and with less strain on the drive itself.[/QUOTE]

So essentially once this is done you won't really need the Rock Band 1 disc anymore (unless you wanted to play through the rock band 1 game of course) I am trying to make sure because I am probably going to give my friend my old drums and rock band disc as long as i won't need it anymore.

[quote name='evanft']Just letting everyone know, DeepBlueVibes, one of the big-time drum players, reviewed the Ion kit at Scorehero. While he said it was good, and much better than the stock kit, the only advantage it has over the GoodWoods mods is the customization and realism. Direct quote:

Also, the pedal pretty much sucks:

So, assuming you're hardcore and you're going to replace the pedal, here's a breakdown of the costs of the GoodWoods vs. the Ion kit:

Ion
$300 Kit
$18 Tax (6%)
$69.95 Rock pedal

Total: $400.95

GoodWoods
$149 Mods
$20 shipping for mods
$69.95 Rock pedal

Total: $251.95

Yeah, I seriously doubt the customization is worth the extra $149. I plan on going with at least the Rock pedal[/quote]
Hmm. I'm not too fond of GoodWoods.
You've got to build them yourself, don't you?
I think I might still get the Ion. I'll stick with the pedal it comes with.

[quote name='sociopharm02']So essentially once this is done you won't really need the Rock Band 1 disc anymore (unless you wanted to play through the rock band 1 game of course) I am trying to make sure because I am probably going to give my friend my old drums and rock band disc as long as i won't need it anymore.[/QUOTE]
Nope, you won't need it. Many of the people in this thread have traded their RB1 disc to Blockbuster towards Rock Band 2 (they're giving $32 for it) after exporting the songs to the HD. Once the songs are transferred to the HD, you're free to dump the disc in any way you see fit.

Keep in mind that there are four songs that won't transfer - Metallica's "Enter Sandman", Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills", and Tokio Hotel's "Monsoon". If you want to be able to play those songs, you'll need to keep your RB disc - other than that, everything else carries over as does all of your original Rock Band DLC.

11 hours for me. This wait has been killing me. I'll be at BBV right at opening, so I can be sure I get a copy. I've heard some stores are getting more preorders than copies. I can't stand to wait any longer...

Also, Tokio Hotel's 'Monsoon' will transfer, unless you have the European version of the game.

[quote name='JJSP']Keep in mind that there are four songs that won't transfer - Metallica's "Enter Sandman", Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills", and Tokio Hotel's "Monsoon". If you want to be able to play those songs, you'll need to keep your RB disc - other than that, everything else carries over as does all of your original Rock Band DLC.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is only 3 songs because Monsoon is only on the disc in Europe.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Actually it is only 3 songs because Monsoon is only on the disc in Europe.[/QUOTE]
Hey, we've got foreigners here too. :)

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Hmm. I'm not too fond of GoodWoods.
You've got to build them yourself, don't you?
I think I might still get the Ion. I'll stick with the pedal it comes with.[/QUOTE]

There is some assembly required, but not enough to justify paying $149 extra. And paying $300 for new drums w/o upgrading the pedal is fail.

[quote name='JJSP']Same concept as loading things to the HD, I assume. Once you've exported the tracks to the HD, playing the RB1 disc would presumably boot the tracks from the HD instead of the disc. Things load faster from the HD than they do the optical drive, and with less strain on the drive itself.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I'm thinking of taking RB1 to Blockbuster...do you need a membership or whatever?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but they're free. You'll need to set up a "trading account" - in other words, sign a piece of paper saying that anything you trade in, you legally own. Overall, it takes maybe five minutes. Their values are almost universally greater than Gamestop at the expense of the selection, but Blockbuster/Gamerush tends to at least get the marquee titles in stock.

You know...maybe at some point, I'll rent Rock Band, pay the 400 points just to put the songs on my hard drive and never get Rock Band 2/etc. But I don't know. Rock Band definitely seems like the music game to get, but I don't have enough local friends who'd be interested in playing it. Also, I have no money, and the only music genre game I have is Elite Beat Agents.

I'm going to pick up my copy tomorrow when GameStop opens, can't wait! Probably be playing quite a bit tomorrow and throughout the week. Haven't decided whether I'll try guitar or drums first.

If anyone wants to get a band going sometime, feel free to send an request or invite on XBL. I'm pretty comfortable playing almost everything on expert, but hard/expert on vocals.

It depends on the location. Just use the store locator on gamestop.com?

But, I have to work 1-7 tomorrow. Meaning I'll only get about two hours with the game. It'll be a long six hours.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']When does Gamestop open on Sundays?[/quote]

Mine opens at 11 AM on Sunday, but you can check the store locator like Jagged recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back