RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Megazell has some F2P MMOs in his thread. Everquest 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and Dungeons and Dragons online aren't bad. I used to be a paid subscriber of EQ2 and LOTRO. There are some limitations as to what you can do as a free player though.

Nothing to say, I just think RPG thread deserves to be higher up on the page.

Truth

What's that MMO that's for computers now, but is coming to XBLA that has a beat em up engine as the battle system? That and Shadowrun would be the only things to get me to play one again.

MMO's are the digital crack of this generation. The dealers should be imprisoned and the junkies should be put in rehab.(and made to pick-up highways)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']MMO's are the digital crack of this generation. The dealers should be imprisoned and the junkies should be put in rehab.(and made to pick-up highways)[/QUOTE]

I've always stayed away from MMOs for fear of getting addicted, though during the brief time I played LotRO I wasn't all that impressed. I did have a pretty significant Diablo II addiction back in the day though and I expect it to resume when III comes out.

I will be giving The Old Republic a try, if only because BioWare made it.

[quote name='bvharris']
I will be giving The Old Republic a try, if only because BioWare made it.[/QUOTE]

I'm boycotting that because they are giving us that rather then KOTOR3

[quote name='j-cart']Just got a new PC and I know MMORPGs are time wasters, but I was just wondering if there are any F2P MMORPGs that you guys would recommend.

Also since there is no monthly plan for FF14, is it even worth it to try out? I love the lore and style, but I have no idea what to expect from the game.[/QUOTE]

FF14 is a literal train wreck right now, it's going to be free for a while since they hired a full on new production team to basically remake the game.

anyone playing dat YAKUZA 4?!?!?!

u got games like FF13 that has the worst and most annoying characters ever,

then u got Yakuza 4 which has some of the best and interesting characters I have ever seen in JRPG... and you get to play as them and beat the shyt out of ppl!!!

this game is sooooooooo goooood

[quote name='JEKKI']anyone playing dat YAKUZA 4?!?!?!

then u got Yakuza 4 which has some of the best and interesting characters I have ever seen in JRPG... and you get to play as them and beat the shyt out of ppl!!!

this game is sooooooooo goooood[/QUOTE]

I have Yakuza 4 but I have yet to play three so I need to start that one first. How long is each main storyline game?

[quote name='JEKKI']anyone playing dat YAKUZA 4?!?!?!

this game is sooooooooo goooood[/QUOTE]
Surely you can't be serious.

MMOs can save you a lot of money on games. They're the only things you play when you play them, so instead of buying a few $60 games a month, you're only paying $15 to play.

I admit, Final Fantasy 11 was a great value for me and one of the most fun games of my life while it lasted, but it would take a major change in the genre to get me playing again. Are the servers for 11 still even up? I played from PS2 launch - Dec. 2005. I've heard they've made it less party centric and easier to find groups.

I wish they'd do an MMO that had turn-based group battles, that would be some awesome shit.

[quote name='Cheska19']I have Yakuza 4 but I have yet to play three so I need to start that one first. How long is each main storyline game?[/QUOTE]

If you strictly play the story, you can finish around 20 hours on easy. But with side quests and locker keys, the game can post mark up to 100 hours. Just note that there are more modes AFTER you beat the game. So it is okay to play Yakuza 3 for just the story the first time around.

Heel smashing never felt soo good in a game.

[quote name='Beatofficer']FF14 is a literal train wreck right now, it's going to be free for a while since they hired a full on new production team to basically remake the game.[/QUOTE]

Didn't this already happen in December? I'm pretty sure there's a permanent subscription fee now.

[quote name='linkpwns']Didn't this already happen in December? I'm pretty sure there's a permanent subscription fee now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and they're still working on it. Just saw a story on it a few days ago (Joystiq I think) on how it's going to be free for a while longer.

[quote name='pete5883']Surely you can't be serious.[/QUOTE]

why wouldn't I be serious??

Yakuza 4 has thus been the best 16 hours I have spent on a game recently and thus far I have nothing bad at all to say about it,

it takes things that other jrpg do wrong and does them right.

u wouldn't understand tho coz you're obviously a hater

I just picked up Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story on PSP. I played Parasite Eve back when it came out, but I remember almost nothing about it, so it'll be interesting to revisit. And Vagrant Story I've never played at all, but Final Fantasy XII and FF Tactics are two of my very favorite games of all time, so I think I'll probably enjoy it.

Anyone ever play the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? I'm kinda interested in trying one out. Any recommendations?

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone ever play the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games? I'm kinda interested in trying one out. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]
every game starts out with lots of fun as you're challenged to survive with your generals (who may be pretty crappy). then as you learn to play the game, you eventually recruit a crap ton of really good generals and conquer half of china. then it gets frustrating as you have to micromanage every province and you still have half of china to conquer so you just quit because it's so easy.

i've only played IV, VI, and XI. IV was too easy, VI is pretty decent and was probably a turning point of the series (everything after VI is radically different than everything before and including VI) and XI was the latest so i played that. XI was actually pretty good.

people tell me i should go more oldschool and play II or III since it was actually more fun, but the interface is just so confusing.

i'd rather just play DoaE, DoaE2, and Dynasty Warriors =)

Playing 3rd Birthday now since I finally got a PSP. Let me say, it's delicious. Incredibly fun, I find it kind of funny that the more you get damaged, the less clothes you wear.

[quote name='linkpwns']Didn't this already happen in December? I'm pretty sure there's a permanent subscription fee now.[/QUOTE]

It's still free, probably will be until they release it on PS3, which has been delayed indefinitely. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be free for at least 6 more months. Sqaure is trying to keep their MMO customers and the product they have now, the only people willing to play it are brainwashed Final Fantasy fanboys.

[quote name='2DMention']MMOs can save you a lot of money on games. They're the only things you play when you play them, so instead of buying a few $60 games a month, you're only paying $15 to play.

I admit, Final Fantasy 11 was a great value for me and one of the most fun games of my life while it lasted, but it would take a major change in the genre to get me playing again. Are the servers for 11 still even up? I played from PS2 launch - Dec. 2005. I've heard they've made it less party centric and easier to find groups.

I wish they'd do an MMO that had turn-based group battles, that would be some awesome shit.[/QUOTE]

FFXI's servers are still up, I played it for two years before switching to WoW, then I quit wow and played FFXI for about 3 months before the launch of XIV.

It's not really more soloable, you still need groups and at high levels, everyone wants Dragoons, bards, and a couple of other classes 'cause they would grind these birds. It's still pretty boring, people STILL do Dynamis and all of that, I couldn't imagine the people I knew while playing back in the day and that are still playing today doing Dynamis all this time, but they have.

With all that said, I've finally tamed the MMO beast, I quit WoW back in June and sold my account for $2300. Hated FFXIV and just have no desire to get back into any of that. My fiance couldn't be happier since she hated me raiding all the time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just picked up Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story on PSP. I played Parasite Eve back when it came out, but I remember almost nothing about it, so it'll be interesting to revisit. And Vagrant Story I've never played at all, but Final Fantasy XII and FF Tactics are two of my very favorite games of all time, so I think I'll probably enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Both good choices. I got both upon PS1 release. Finished PE but never did Vagrant Story. Probably need to revisit both.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just picked up Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story on PSP. I played Parasite Eve back when it came out, but I remember almost nothing about it, so it'll be interesting to revisit. And Vagrant Story I've never played at all, but Final Fantasy XII and FF Tactics are two of my very favorite games of all time, so I think I'll probably enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I played Parasite Eve backed on the PS1, loads of fun and probably one of my favorite horror games. I've never played Vagrant Story though....

I played Parasite Eve 1 back on the :ps1: I think I got to the end boss and then there was some timed running/escape part at the end and I couldn't finish it. I'm not going back for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played through Costume Quest this weekend. I haven't picked up the DLC yet. I will soon. I did get 200/200 on the main story though. I noticed that Hell M0nkey was playing through it as well. It's a pretty fun game. My son immediately started a new game after I finished it.

Also, bump because this thread was too far down the list after 2 days of no one posting in it.

[quote name='Lokki']Played through Costume Quest this weekend. I haven't picked up the DLC yet. I will soon. I did get 200/200 on the main story though. I noticed that Hell M0nkey was playing through it as well. It's a pretty fun game. My son immediately started a new game after I finished it.[/QUOTE]
I picked it up during the sale but still haven't touched it-- too busy starting some new characters in ME2. :p

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I picked it up during the sale but still haven't touched it-- too busy starting some new characters in ME2. :p[/QUOTE]

It's not a very long game. You can finish up the main story in about 5 hours or so. I'm not sure how long the DLC is. It's fun though.

Started playing Strange Journey again. It's taking me forever. Stopped around 55 hours the first time, right before Grus. Now I'm right at
Judge Zelenin
, and nearing 75 hours. I just can't bring myself to use password demons, which would shave off tons of time.

[quote name='Lokki']It's not a very long game. You can finish up the main story in about 5 hours or so. I'm not sure how long the DLC is. It's fun though.[/QUOTE]

I finished the main game and the DLC. The DLC takes about two hours maybe at the most but is also pretty darn fun.

So I see this hasn't been mentioned yet. I saw it on the bottom scroll on X-Play and Game Informer has an article about it.

Final Fantasy V PSN enhanced remake. Wonder if we'll get it here.

On April 5, 2011, Square Enix announced a release of Final Fantasy V will be available on PSN in Japan on April 6. It is said to be "enhanced by exclusive CGI cut scenes."
A European release has been confirmed, but not dated. There are currently no news on a North American release.

Somewhat surprised they're not sticking it on the PSP as a follow-up to IV. Maybe they'll wait and see how well that ends up selling.

Part of me wishes they'd end up porting I-VI to PSP.. Already halfway there now.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Final Fantasy V PSN enhanced remake. Wonder if we'll get it here.[/QUOTE]
The original fan translation from the mid '90s is still a better experience than any official version Square has released stateside.

[quote name='bvharris']Somewhat surprised they're not sticking it on the PSP as a follow-up to IV. Maybe they'll wait and see how well that ends up selling.

Part of me wishes they'd end up porting I-VI to PSP.. Already halfway there now.[/QUOTE]

Hell they could give me a PSP remake of VII and VIII and I'd be happy to.

III, V, and VI on PSP would be awesome though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The original fan translation from the mid '90s is still a better experience than any official version Square has released stateside.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit it's been years since I played the fan translation (though that was how I originally played it) but I've always found the GBA version to be pretty enjoyable.

PE3's story telling is terrible, and the camera and lock-on mechanics are super frustrating in big fights. It's pretty challenging though and pretty creative for a shooter, and you can upgrade your shit RE4 style :cool:.

I'd say the scores it's received are pretty accurate.

Is either Trinity Universe or Cross Edge for :ps3: worth getting? No idea why they're 1000 points on goozex.

And I just started Dragon Age. At the joining quest for the wardens. Am I going to have to micro-manage my companions equipment and leveling or will they be gone soon?

[quote name='eldergamer']Is either Trinity Universe or Cross Edge for :ps3: worth getting? No idea why they're 1000 points on goozex.

And I just started Dragon Age. At the joining quest for the wardens. Am I going to have to micro-manage my companions equipment and leveling or will they be gone soon?[/QUOTE]

If you are pre-joining don't bother. Post...micro manage.

Anyway Trinity was ok, Cross Edge was...less. They are 1000 points because a lot of people have it Requested but "On Hold" Goozex uses that as well as active requests to determine value.

[quote name='j-cart']Why do I have the urge to spend $20 on Final Fantasy 14?[/QUOTE]

My friend let me borrow his copy of FFXIV for free, it's not even worth playing for free

[quote name='eldergamer']Is either Trinity Universe or Cross Edge for :ps3: worth getting? No idea why they're 1000 points on goozex.
[/QUOTE]

I thought Cross Edge's battle system was a lot of fun.

FFXI had quite a following, you just don't see much MMO news compared to most gaming news -- especially on general forums.

The hype started to die with the beta though.

[quote name='Rodimus']Was their any hype for FFXIV? I didn't even know it was coming out till I heard about all the terrible reviews.[/QUOTE]

I think the pinnacle of hype for FFXIV was somewhere between when it was mentioned to be for PS3 and when it was revealed to be an online game. So people were probably very interested in it for a good 30-40 seconds there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back