RPG Thread IX is a steaming pile of pointless monologue. Just Youtube the ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='icebeast']Yuck, S Link Guide, I mean if that makes it more fun for you then go for it, but I can't imagine that being fun for me, since I thought lots of the fun in the game (outside of combat) was just picking whoever I wanted to hang with and trying to figure out what to say to make them like me. If I wanted to have all my decisions made for me I'd read a book instead.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, but I can understand it if you just want to play through it once and hit everything. Considering that I have 100 hours in and I'm not quite done, the investment is pretty high.

[quote name='icebeast']Yuck, S Link Guide, I mean if that makes it more fun for you then go for it, but I can't imagine that being fun for me, since I thought lots of the fun in the game (outside of combat) was just picking whoever I wanted to hang with and trying to figure out what to say to make them like me. If I wanted to have all my decisions made for me I'd read a book instead.[/QUOTE]

I have a "no guides on the first playthrough" policy, but I thought about using an S Link guide for P4. My thoughts were, based on P3, I probably won't care about the story and I probably will only play through it once in my life. I'm glad I decided against it, I probably would have enjoyed the game far less with a guide.

So I decided to start playing Final Fantasy XIII again and now I remember why I never attempted to get all of the achievements; The Titan Trials are just confusing...

I started P3, no guide.
Got halfway through before I stopped.

Then I got FES, imported my data, and played through the first quarter... then I used an S-Link guide. Because really, the whole thing is just trial and error with no real thought put into it, but the combat advantages and the potential of having missing story or dangling S-Links were too much to ignore. Even then, I really had to will myself to beat the game at the end. I think I still missed out on completing a couple of them, which blows when you're at S. Link 8 or 9 and you don't get to see the conclusion.

I played through P4, got the bad ending, decided to replay it with a guide, stopped halfway.

[quote name='62t']By using a guide I get to spend time with everyone and not waste anytime. Time is very tight between going to Tartus, getting Academic, Charm, and Courage up, and doing S Link. Especially since some of the S Link won't open up until your Academic, Charm, and Courage are at certain level.[/QUOTE]

Like I said if that is what makes if fun, go for it. I think the game was designed to have you waste your time to some degree figuring stuff out; or what you needed to progress.

[quote name='Cheska19']This is exactly what I do. I also don't typically use a guide for the S. Links and I haven't run into many problems yet.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, you don't need to use a guide at all (I can assure you I beat Persona 3 without using one); maybe you need one if you absolutely must see everything and in doing so follow a guide word for word, and you think that would still make the game fun.

Personally I like to figure out games on my own, and I think that is what Persona 3 is about; being a simulation of life where you have to figure out what you need to do to befriend the people around you, even if you make mistakes sometimes. And at the end maybe you weren't able to become as good of friends with people as you'd hoped in your limited amount of time.

Edit: Just as another side note, I really liked how people who didn't follow a guide to perfect everything came away with substantially different gaming experiences as well, me and a good friend in college both played through P3 at the same time, but because we both did totally different S-Links we had totally different experiences to share with each other; and it was great hearing about another perspective to the game.

I'm slowly trying to replay P3:Fes with a max social link guide, but so far the guide has been off at where the Social Link levels ought to be. If I remember correctly I'm about midway through October right now.

On another note Isabela never came back to my party during the end of Act II for Dragon Age 2 :cry:. I don't know if it's because my friendship with her isn't that high compared to my first playthrough

I typically don't use guides but I did for P3 and P4. For me it didn't take away from the game. I consider them some of my favorite RPGs ever. Besides any SMT guide is always a good investment.

[quote name='Cheddahz']So I decided to start playing Final Fantasy XIII again and now I remember why I never attempted to get all of the achievements; The Titan Trials are just confusing...[/QUOTE]

I don't remember it being confusing, just a little tedious.

[quote name='Indignate']I don't remember it being confusing, just a little tedious.[/QUOTE]

That's more like it, and plus it's been almost a year since I have last picked this game up, so I'm trying to re-teach myself to play it while completing all of the hunts

Yea I hope Sony would consider it since they don't have any first party PSP title aside from Patapon 3. I really hope the PSP doesn't ended up being Sega Saturn, with tons of amazing games that never got a US release since they were released so late in the life cycle.

[quote name='bvharris']Persona 4 "begins" in a couple weeks: 4/11/11. Anyone else going to attempt a real-time playthrough? :D[/QUOTE]

Crap I haven't even finished Persona 3 FES

I'm a few hours into Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology now and I am starting to see where the mixed reviews came in on it. Some of the quests are repetitive. You are bouncing back and forth between the town and the dungeon multiple times. I wish that it would let you pick up more than 1 quest at a time, like a MMO. I had to farm materials for a quest that involved a lot of crafting.

I'm still enjoying the game at the moment, but I can see how it may get old as I get further into it.

[quote name='bvharris']Persona 4 "begins" in a couple weeks: 4/11/11. Anyone else going to attempt a real-time playthrough? :D[/QUOTE]

I'll be in Japan next month so I guess I'll head over to Inaba and make myself a social link as an awkward international guy.

If you have been holding out like me, Resonance of Fate is now $18 on amazon for the ps3 ($22 x360). Shipped by Amazon, so no shipping rape.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Damnit why isn't it April 19th yet?! I want to play some FFIV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not like that game has ever been released on any other system! :D

Just kidding, I can't wait either. It's obscene how many versions of this game I own: SNES, GBA, PS1, DS, SFC(JP), GBA(JP) to go along with this. :D Need to get my hands on that Wonderswan Color version. :roll:

[quote name='bvharris']Yeah, it's not like that game has ever been released on any other system! :D

Just kidding, I can't wait either. It's obscene how many versions of this game I own: SNES, GBA, PS1, DS, SFC(JP), GBA(JP) to go along with this. :D Need to get my hands on that Wonderswan Color version. :roll:[/QUOTE]

LOL Yeah I know.

Same here I had SNES (sold) and still have GBA, PS1, and DS. Also have After Years on Wii. (which I will delete shortly).

It was my first SNES game and the only one I had for a few months. I played it and replayed it and repeat. I can't wait to do the entire thing on the PSP from FFIV, Interlude, and then After Years. (without the sick difficulty of the DS version, lol)

[quote name='2DMention']I'm stuck in Ar Tonelico Qoga so I'm just gonna sit it out until the FAQ is updated and play LoH:TitS if it comes on Fri.[/QUOTE]

No one can blame you for stopping to play around on TitS

I could never finish Persona 3. (I've made the same complaints here numerous time) That game was almost the epitome of linearity. And then the "Do you want to go to the dorms? Yes/No. You go to the dorms". I hated those little extraneous dialogue boxes that just explained the choice I made.

I hated the fact I had to hang out at the early levels of the dungeon until a certain date/event occured. I've already killed these enemies! I hated not being able to stay in the dungeon as long as I wished...

Ugh. Now you're getting me worked up all over again.

I hope Xenoblade is awesome. On one hand, it's a Takahashi game named "Xeno", so I'll probably love it, but on the other hand..."Most of the RPGs we've created had their main focus on story and cutscenes, but I think that approach has reached a dead end," Takahashi said in an interview with Famitsu magazine this week. "This project got its start because we wanted to return to basics -- we just wanted to create a fun adventure. We're trying to give the player a lot of freedom without having them feel lost." http://www.1up.com/news/xenoblade

This better not be a case of "WRPGs are popular right? Let's make our game WRPGish!"

Either way, it's a preorder. And with DQX and possibly The Last Story, the Wii might just become the JRPG console this gen.

[quote name='default_shepard']I
Either way, it's a preorder. And with DQX and possibly The Last Story, the Wii might just become the JRPG console this gen.[/QUOTE]

3 RPGs won't make a console. Though it may have me actually FINISH a Wii game.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']3 RPGs won't make a console. Though it may have me actually FINISH a Wii game.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The only JRPGs Wii has are Brave Story, Arc Rise Fantasia, and those two.

PSP is this generations JRPG console.

[quote name='2DMention']I doubt it. The only JRPGs Wii has are Brave Story, Arc Rise Fantasia, and those two.

PSP is this generations JRPG console.[/QUOTE]

It has Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World too.

Also did Brave Story even come out in the US?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']It has Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World too.

Also did Brave Story even come out in the US?[/QUOTE]

Opps, I meant Phantom Brave

[quote name='2DMention']Opps, I meant Phantom Brave[/QUOTE]

I was excited there for a minute. Thought I missed an RPG and was going to go look for it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']It has Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World too.
[/QUOTE]

Plus Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Super Paper Mario if you want to expand past traditional JRPGs.

I've been pretty confident all along that both Xenoblade and The Last Story would make their way over here eventually, despite all the naysayers. I still think that.

[quote name='bvharris']Plus Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Super Paper Mario if you want to expand past traditional JRPGs.

.[/QUOTE]

You'd thik I'd remember those since I have both of them.

Nice. Hopefully if Xenoblade does well here we'll get The Last Story too.

And panzerfaust, you can actually. It's not hard to softmod the Wii, and if you do that you can play imports (like my imported Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom... which I thought was a good import since it would "never" get a US release.... sigh)

[quote name='Zmonkay']Nice. Hopefully if Xenoblade does well here we'll get The Last Story too.

And panzerfaust, you can actually. It's not hard to softmod the Wii, and if you do that you can play imports (like my imported Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom... which I thought was a good import since it would "never" get a US release.... sigh)[/QUOTE]

Another way around it is to buy a JP Wii just for imports and don't go online with it.

The scary thing is PSP could be dead and we never see the last wave of RPGs. Right now games like Blaze Union, Half Minute Heroes 2, Tales of the Lost Promise, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Criminal Girls, PSU2I, and Monster Hunter 3rd are out or close to coming out and we haven't heard a thing. Square Enix rushed out 4 games in 3 months isn't a good sign. Aside from Final Fantasy type 0 and maybe Persona 2 portable, I'm not sure if we will see any of those games or recently announced games getting a USA release

As much as I'd love all those games to hit the US. You know nothing called Criminal Girls is coming out here anywhere but on Cinimax at 1am.

Wait. I could've swore Criminal Girls was a DS game. I thought there was touch screen rubbing action...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Oh god, I hope they release Blaze Union. I really should finish Yggdra though.[/QUOTE]

we didn't get Yggdra Unison (the DS game) so maybe they are skipping the spinoff. I hope we can at least get Gungnir since it is a Dept. Heaven game and we got everyone of them so far

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know anything about this game?

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Comes out in two weeks, $39, with artbook and soundtrack. It looks like it's a re-release/expansion of an older game, which is the reason for the budget price, but I haven't seen any previews or even heard of this series.[/QUOTE]

Cause the original was painfully average

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know anything about this game?

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Comes out in two weeks, $39, with artbook and soundtrack. It looks like it's a re-release/expansion of an older game, which is the reason for the budget price, but I haven't seen any previews or even heard of this series.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, it's a re-release of Divinity II: Ego Draconis. It's an alright but mostly unremarkable European RPG (you know the type) which uses the Gamebryo engine. I have it on 360, it's not bad, but it doesn't really stand out in any way.

[quote name='Chacrana']As long as we get Persona 2 Innocent Sin...[/QUOTE]

This would be awesome.

Also, more Lost Odyssey rant.
Ok, so at first I thought I hated the Black Cave, but I hate the Experimental staff even more. With the Black Cave, I absolutely hated those dark shadow lords. However, with the Experimental Staff, Im having no trouble with the enemies, but the lack of frequent save points was beyond frustrating. And the fact that you have to steal at least one fucking gate pass in order to progress. Even though all my immortals learned Steal, somehow only Jansen was able to swipe one.

And now Im fighting the urge to buy LoH: TitS :(

[quote name='Cheska19'] LoH: TitS [/QUOTE]

That has to be the worst abbreviation ever to say out loud. Even worse than CODBLOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back