RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='GhostShark']Final Fantasy IX should be the first game you play. My personal favorite PSone Final Fantasy. Beautiful world and colorful characters with an amazing OST.[/QUOTE]

I must disagree with the Doctor here. If you play FFIX only do so for more satisfaction when you throw the P.O.S. into the bin.

I wouldn't say 9 is garbage, but I def. wouldn't say that it's spectacular either. It was fun, up until the point where your party is split into teams of 2... and they placed two unused characters together... or your party isn't evenly leveled.

[quote name='dyeknom']I wouldn't say 9 is garbage, but I def. wouldn't say that it's spectacular either. It was fun, up until the point where your party is split into teams of 2... and they placed two unused characters together... or your party isn't evenly leveled.[/QUOTE]

I'm hard on IX but in the beginning I did enjoy it. I just felt that by the mid-point the story was all over the place, there was no reason for the Fiends,and the final straw was after you fight Kuja the whole "I'm the real bad guy, I am death mwhaahahhaah" that came out of no where.

[quote name='dyeknom'] It was fun, up until the point where your party is split into teams of 2... and they placed two unused characters together... or your party isn't evenly leveled.[/QUOTE]

I HATE it when RPGs do this. They do it way too much.

[quote name='2DMention']I HATE it when RPGs do this. They do it way too much.[/QUOTE]

Definitely don't play 4 Heroes of Light then, I've never seen a game abuse the "oops, we split your party up to artificially make the game more challenging" route more.

[quote name='bvharris']Definitely don't play 4 Heroes of Light then, I've never seen a game abuse the "oops, we split your party up to artificially make the game more challenging" route more.[/QUOTE]
Now I have even more reasons not to play it.

[quote name='bvharris']Definitely don't play 4 Heroes of Light then, I've never seen a game abuse the "oops, we split your party up to artificially make the game more challenging" route more.[/QUOTE]

Just took this off my must have list. I'm ok with party splits but at least give a good reason beyond just trying to make it harder.(and don't put all the characters I hate in one place)

[quote name='2DMention']Now I have even more reasons not to play it.[/QUOTE]

I got tired of it pretty quickly. It is definitely charming in some ways and the Crown system is actually pretty fun, but the game SHOULD be easy but ends up being frustrating because of the aforementioned forced party splits and the stupid design decision of automatic targeting. If they'd tried a little bit harder it could have been a great game. But it isn't at all.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Just took this off my must have list. I'm ok with party splits but at least give a good reason beyond just trying to make it harder.(and don't put all the characters I hate in one place)[/QUOTE]

It's pretty egregious. At least half a dozen times during the first half of the game a character will literally leave in the middle of the night, abandoning a party member in the inn and journeying on alone for no particular reason.

FFIX isn't my own fave, but it's all right. Anyway...

Rune Factory 3 came out today. Preordered at Amazon, but I haven't gotten any notice from them about shipping, so I checked my account. I'm due to get it on Nov. 15 (with free Prime shipping). It's currently in stock on the site, and after telling my husband about this situation over AIM, he added it to his cart and got a delivery date estimate of Nov. 12. WTF, Amazon :bomb:

More time to play Eternal Sonata and attempt to beat Etrian Odyssey II, I guess...

[quote name='blueshinra']FFIX isn't my own fave, but it's all right. Anyway...

Rune Factory 3 came out today. Preordered at Amazon, but I haven't gotten any notice from them about shipping, so I checked my account. I'm due to get it on Nov. 15 (with two-day shipping). It's currently in stock on the site, and after telling my husband about this situation over AIM, he added it to his cart and got a delivery date estimate of Nov. 12. WTF, Amazon :bomb:

More time to play Eternal Sonata and attempt to beat Etrian Odyssey II, I guess...[/QUOTE]

Most of the time it seems like Amazon dates are arbatrary and they give you long dates just to cover their ass.

[quote name='blueshinra']FFIX isn't my own fave, but it's all right. Anyway...

Rune Factory 3 came out today. Preordered at Amazon, but I haven't gotten any notice from them about shipping, so I checked my account. I'm due to get it on Nov. 15 (with free Prime shipping). It's currently in stock on the site, and after telling my husband about this situation over AIM, he added it to his cart and got a delivery date estimate of Nov. 12. WTF, Amazon :bomb:

More time to play Eternal Sonata and attempt to beat Etrian Odyssey II, I guess...[/QUOTE]

Amazon has been weird lately. I ordered Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight and Knights in the Nightmares (PSP) a few months ago.

Towers of Midnight released 11/02 and shipped on 11/05. Knights in the NIghtmares released today and is preparing to ship (should go out tomorrow).

I was also reading someone ordered Black Ops with release day shipping and has it as "Preparing to ship" as of today (release day). They're just all over the place with delivery.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Amazon has been weird lately. I ordered Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight and Knights in the Nightmares (PSP) a few months ago.

Towers of Midnight released 11/02 and shipped on 11/05. Knights in the NIghtmares released today and is preparing to ship (should go out tomorrow).

I was also reading someone ordered Black Ops with release day shipping and has it as "Preparing to ship" as of today (release day). They're just all over the place with delivery.[/QUOTE]
Aren't they going with a different courier or something now? I thought I read it somewhere.

[quote name='2DMention']Most of the time it seems like Amazon dates are arbatrary and they give you long dates just to cover their ass.[/QUOTE]
They're usually 99% accurate with me when items are actually in stock. Also, Rune Factory 3 is currently in "preparing to ship" mode, according to my account.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Amazon has been weird lately. I ordered Wheel of Time: Towers of Midnight and Knights in the Nightmares (PSP) a few months ago.

I was also reading someone ordered Black Ops with release day shipping and has it as "Preparing to ship" as of today (release day). They're just all over the place with delivery.[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear it isn't just me :/

[quote name='2DMention']Aren't they going with a different courier or something now? I thought I read it somewhere.[/QUOTE]
They use a local, NYC-based courier service for some of our orders, but otherwise we typically get Amazon packages via UPS.

ETA (11/10): Okay, now I get a delivery notice from Amazon. Got the email last night; it says I should be getting it today.

I hope nothing funny happens with my husband's Cataclysm LE, otherwise chances are I won't hear the end of it :p Release day delivery for the SC2 LE worked out for me, so maybe it'll be all right *knock on wood*

Last edited by a moderator:
Just beat Etrian Odyssey II. Don't want to have to touch that game again for a long time. It was good overall, but a certain pair of quests (and a certain dungeon event) REALLY pissed me off :bomb:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm playing Final Fantasy 2 (PSP) right now. After getting used to the "level up" system, I'm really enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

Any tips for the "leveling" in it?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just picked up Baldur's Gate II, does anyone know if the multiplayer is any fun? I might get a friend to pick it up as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is just as fun in multiplayer.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Any tips for the "leveling" in it?[/QUOTE]
I said I got used to it, not that I understood it.

I assume you're somewhat familiar with the game. If not, instead of actually leveling up and getting exp from battles, your characters have a seemingly random chance of getting a stat increase after battle based on what happened in that battle (i.e. if a character just attacked, they might get a point in strength).

HP seems to go up every so many battles no matter what.
The key to some stats (strength, stamina, intelligence) is pretty much fighting monsters stronger than you. If your party can kill all the monsters 1 hit, you aren't likely to get strength or get hurt enough to gain stamina. You also aren't likely to gain any intelligence because you'll be able to kill all the monsters 1 hit with black magic.
Gaining things like MP, spirit and magic can be a little easy because you can just get into a battle and have every character use cure every turn until you run out of MP.
And I have no idea what raises agility.

iirc the best way to gain hp in FF2 is to beat yourself up until you're at critical, then kill easy monsters...

[quote name='kainzero']iirc the best way to gain hp in FF2 is to beat yourself up until you're at critical, then kill easy monsters...[/QUOTE]

That sounds "special".

[quote name='depascal22']So would you say that FFII is a bad game or just confusing?[/QUOTE]

I'd call it "tragically flawed". I personally hated the leveling system, and I think the fact that they abandoned the idea thereafter is pretty telling. I'd say it's probably my least favorite in the series.

[quote name='bvharris']I'd call it "tragically flawed". I personally hated the leveling system, and I think the fact that they abandoned the idea thereafter is pretty telling. I'd say it's probably my least favorite in the series.[/QUOTE]

I've never played it, and I don't really have any plans to based on that leveling system. Is the story any good?

[quote name='2DMention']I've never played it, and I don't really have any plans to based on that leveling system. Is the story any good?[/QUOTE]
I'm enjoying the story a lot. It's a pretty simple story which is nice in the age where most RPG stories are insane. I'd recommend giving it a go, especially if you can pick it up for $10 like I did. The leveling system isn't really all that bad once you get used to it. From the looks of where I am right now, I'd say you can complete it in under 20 hours.

[quote name='bvharris']I'd call it "tragically flawed". I personally hated the leveling system, and I think the fact that they abandoned the idea thereafter is pretty telling. I'd say it's probably my least favorite in the series.[/QUOTE]
To be fair...
Every FF has had a new levelling system, and the FF2 system was refined and made better in the SaGa series.
(Well, some of the SaGa series games... right, Mr. Unlimited SaGa?)

[quote name='2DMention']I've never played it, and I don't really have any plans to based on that leveling system. Is the story any good?[/QUOTE]
Have you seen Star Wars?
It's pretty much like that.

[quote name='kainzero']

Have you seen Star Wars?
It's pretty much like that.[/QUOTE]

Oddly KH: BBS is feeling the same way. (at least Terra's story)

I'm blocked from reading that at work. What is the difference on this one?

I have Phantom Brave on PS2, been meaning to get the Wii verson for awhile. Can I skip all this and just get the PSP or will I be missing something?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I have Phantom Brave on PS2, been meaning to get the Wii verson for awhile. Can I skip all this and just get the PSP or will I be missing something?[/QUOTE]
According to the press release: "Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle is a port of the Wii version with additional cameo characters exclusive to the PSP version!"

[quote name='2DMention']Looks like PSP will continue to be the go-to system for RPGs.

Atlus, XSeed, and NIS are too biga pussies to make anything for PS3 or 360.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the PSP being the RPG system for this generation.

As for Atlus and the others, they like making money. 360 and PS3 owners have proven to be a little fickle when it comes to things like "graphics" and "difficulty". Why make under-selling games for the home consoles when they can continue to release small quantities of PSP RPGs for ravenous fans?

[quote name='willardhaven']The PSP does have some good games, I can't convince myself to get one though.[/QUOTE]Do it. PSP is so awesome. Awesome ATLUS love, NIS love, XSeed love, etc. In ways I could consider it my favorite platform this gen.

[quote name='default_shepard']So I just got the email from NIS telling me there's another version of Phantom Brave I need to buy. http://nisamerica.com/images/email/PB_PressRelease101116_PB.pdf[/QUOTE]I saw that and will buy. My only complaint is that I much rather have LaPucelle Ragnarok coming stateside. I'd buy that in a heartbeat at most any price (loved LaPucelle on PS2).

I just beat Eternal Sonata... and now I see what you all mean about the ending @_@

Next up is beating Pokemon Platinum, after which my "currently playing" list of RPGs will be clear for Rune Factory 3 :p

started Valkyria 2 today. got dang man this game is soooo anime o_O

I dont like playing SRPG game straight, so I think Ima juggle it with a bit of Birth By Sleep,

jus gotta get to a point where I feel like Im 1/3 thru the game first...

[quote name='JEKKI']yo yo yo~!!! so I spent my day playing undoubtedly the best RPG I have played all year and feel absolutely compelled to recommend it to u guys!!!

it's a free RPG called Space Funeral.
[/QUOTE]
I finally beat it today.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP?

I'm making such progress in Away Shuffle Dungeon. About 12 hours in. Just rescued the newlyweds and am learning the truth about the 'village'.

[quote name='Rodimus']Going to spend the rest of my B-Day today trying to beat Earthbound.[/QUOTE]

High five!

I finished Final Fantasy 2 on Saturday and now I'm replaying Mother 3.

[quote name='kainzero']I finally beat it today.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP?[/QUOTE]yeay~!! that game is awesome!!

your life has now been fulfilled by something most people will die having never experienced!

[quote name='Rodimus']Going to spend the rest of my B-Day today trying to beat Earthbound.[/QUOTE]
Have you played it before? If not, a tip: once you get to the final boss, if you don't already know how to beat it, look up how to do it, otherwise it WILL drive you nuts.

Radiant Historia from Atlus looks good! I'll probably pick it up!

How is avalon code? I picked up with the half off sale at Amazon.

[quote name='2DMention']Radiant Historia from Atlus looks good! I'll probably pick it up!

How is avalon code? I picked up with the half off sale at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Ah, Avalon Code. It's a game with such -promise-. The game play and combat are pretty simplistic. It's just you spend so much of the game messing around with the 'codes' trying to level up your armor and weapons. Only to realize that the same sword you've been using for a third of the game is just fine for the whole game. I finished it, but it's a bit of a time waster.

It's got a great world and decent story but so much of the mechanics of the game just feel pointless in the end.

[quote name='blueshinra']Have you played it before? If not, a tip: once you get to the final boss, if you don't already know how to beat it, look up how to do it, otherwise it WILL drive you nuts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's my first time, but I knew some trick was involved. I remember as a kid my friend getting stuck on the last boss. But thanks for the heads up.

I didn't have enough time to beat it last night. My 5 month old baby was keeping me up, restricting me to only 1 hour of play.

Yep, there's a trick. IIRC, I managed to figure it out on my own, but when I did, it annoyed me. Anyway, just trying to save you some headaches :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back