RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some nice lols out of it. Definitely seemed very geared to Chrono Trigger and FF games, though, and I don't even have much experience with other RPGs. I imagine if you have broader RPG experience it seems even more narrowly focused.

[quote name='Backlash']I got some nice lols out of it. Definitely seemed very geared to Chrono Trigger and FF games, though, and I don't even have much experience with other RPGs. I imagine if you have broader RPG experience it seems even more narrowly focused.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that much of FF in there, there was no group against an Empire option.

"Oh it's a story battle. Victory is impossible.
Oh, it's not a story battle. I just suck."

Had that one happen to me numerous times, haha.

[quote name='Indignate']I didn't see that much of FF in there, there was no group against an Empire option.[/QUOTE]

It did have the repeated "Wait he isn't the real boss I am!!" that FF has been doing lately.

It should have the "Worldwide Pep Rally" where everyone you've ever met starts rooting for you or helping in their own small way. I love that moment! (Is there a tvtropes for this? I could ask there, but I'm afraid if I create an account I'll never get anything done for the rest of my life.)

[quote name='icebeast']"Oh it's a story battle. Victory is impossible.
Oh, it's not a story battle. I just suck."

Had that one happen to me numerous times, haha.[/QUOTE]

I thought 3-4 bosses in Eternal Sonata would be like this... but nope, they could just one shot my characters...

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Well no. VII and VIII are great games. IX is crap but still the first two are well worth playing.[/QUOTE]I actually liked VII and IX the best. Wasn't into VIII as much as those two, but still loved it.

[quote name='depascal22']Is it me or is the first Star Ocean pretty bleh...[/QUOTE]A bunch will feel that way, but I personally love them. Always loved the characters, lengthy story, soundtrack, and battles.

[quote name='panzerfaust']FFXIII is good :grouphug:[/QUOTE]FFXIII is my first or second favorite PS3 game. The game is great, loved every minute of it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']What the hell? Gamestop isn't taking pre-order on ZHP. (and half their stores they don't know if they'll even get it in)[/QUOTE]I preordered on Amazon. It's being sold at $28.99 there.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

I preordered on Amazon. It's being sold at $28.99 there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I have a Gamestop gift card, not amazon. I ordered it at gamestop.com with free shipping so still going to get it.

I still need to finish VIII. I always put it down after the plot goes nuts and the characters lose their realism. Squall and Rinoa was such a great relationship but when it dived into melodrama I just felt betrayed. It's still a wonderful game, but I think it's not as strong as the others in terms of characters/plot. I'll have to finish before judging though.

After that I should play IX for the first time, maybe try out the KH series, as well as Baldur's Gate II and Fallout 3 to see what the hype is about. This is all going on my to-do list for winter break -- where I go home and play videogames for a month in my pajamas.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So apparently Eternal Sonata's ending is second only to Xenogears in terms of long winded wtf... sheesh.[/QUOTE]

Eternal Sonata definitely runs off the rails somewhere in there. Looking back at it, I'm not entirely sure the story was ever on rails. It had great potential and just did nothing with it.

The battle system was fun and original at least.

Art style was jaw dropping. From the beginning to end, the graphics are the strongest part of the game.

[quote name='panzerfaust'] where I go home and play videogames for a month in my pajamas.[/QUOTE]

Ahh I remember that. Good times, good times.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So apparently Eternal Sonata's ending is second only to Xenogears in terms of long winded wtf... sheesh.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the few RPGs that's gets progressively worse and the ending is the cherry on the shit sundae. It tries so hard to sound insightful and meaningful that it comes across as the exact opposite. The credits literally made me want to kill myself, with all those forced one-liner life lessons. It was all very pretentious. It's one of the few endings that insulted me as a gamer.

Tell me about it. It just wouldn't end! And like depascal said, the art style (and the battle system to a lesser extent) are what held it together for me and got me through to the end. I can't believe there's so much stuff that's "encore only". I don't know anyone that would replay it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I can't believe there's so much stuff that's "encore only". I don't know anyone that would replay it.[/QUOTE]

I could see myself maybe playing it again, but not for a long time (not that surprising since I rarely replay anything anyways though); because as everyone else has already stated the plot is terrible; but I could easily see myself still enjoying combat on a second play-through.

I've been playing Final Fantasy 4 warriors of light before bed. I'm enjoying it more than every Final Fantasy game after 9... This one brings some new gameplay elements to the table that I'm really enjoying - It feels very new and very retro at the same time; they struck a good balance.

I don't know how far I am, but there seems to be a lot of "Screw you guys, I'm going home" style character interactions going on.

My main character is currently a tree, and I am playing as a cat that used to be a lady.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Tell me about it. It just wouldn't end! And like depascal said, the art style (and the battle system to a lesser extent) are what held it together for me and got me through to the end. I can't believe there's so much stuff that's "encore only". I don't know anyone that would replay it.[/QUOTE]

There's a couple of things I can't stand about current gen JRPGs, this being one of them. Long grinds are annoying too.

And Agarest is pretty much trash until the third chapter. Maybe it's just the Xbox selection but it seems like SRPGs are actually going a step backwards lately.

Grinds don't annoying me, it's horrible writing that pisses me off. That breaks or makes an RPG for me. I can endure any battle system as long as I have attachment to the game.

...... so why the fuck did I finish FFXIII?

Im telling u guys... u gotta play Space Funeral.

unless u enjoy complaining about bad jrpgs...

it's the weekend yo... get to it!

[quote name='panzerfaust']Blizzard has really lost it. That Hunter trailer was the stupidest shit I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Can't wait for D3, but that trailer was really lame.

Speaking of Eternal Sonata, while I'll admit I have yet to finish it (played half way through on 360, then sold it and switched to the PS3 version ending up near the same spot). I actually really liked the game, but the only reason I held it back is because of it not having trophies.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Blizzard has really lost it. That Hunter trailer was the stupidest shit I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]
Blizzard lost it years ago (and I still give them my money >_>).

[quote name='blueshinra']Blizzard lost it years ago (and I still give them my money >_>).[/QUOTE]

I stopped once they went with the "Starcraft 2 will be in 3 seperate parts at $50 each!!".

I'm waiting for the Diablo 3 shoe to drop. "Each class will be its' own game for $50 each!!"

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I stopped once they went with the "Starcraft 2 will be in 3 seperate parts at $50 each!!".

I'm waiting for the Diablo 3 shoe to drop. "Each class will be its' own game for $50 each!!"[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the campaigns are three times as long and yadda yadda yadda.

SC2 was worth the money, but the story wasn't as good as those of SC and Brood War. Haven't been keeping up much with Diablo 3, but I wonder now if its story will have similar amounts of cheese (and an inappropriate/anachronistic pop culture reference or two).

I welcomed the SC2 trilogoy idea since Blizzard games are just that damn good. Now all you have is custom maps though, and while those are a blast, I'd rather be playing a variety of other games with the little time I've had this semester. I was a big competitive Brood War player and SC2 was going to be my game for the next 5 years, but the multiplayer is just so impressively dull.

It's a fine RTS, but I think anyone can agree that it's a very anti-climatic sequel with a lot of missed potential. The campaign is a shiny piece of work but it's sad that it can't hold a candle to what Blizzard has done with story telling in the past.

At least my expectations for D3 are low now, and I'm honestly looking forward to so many other titles instead.

So I've been playing Earthbound for a few weeks but between other games and just plain being busy I haven't had many chances to play much of it, until last night, I finally had a window of chance. Earthbound is simply amazing. I can clearly see why this has probably the biggest cult following of any game.

For giggles I put my favorite food as
pussy
So Ness' mom says "Why don''t you eat some
pussy
then go to bed? I laughed pretty hard. I felt kinda dirty so I changed it.

My favorite feature is the insta-kill. It's mind blowing that we haven't seen this simple yet ingenious idea implemented more in RPGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']For giggles I put my favorite food as
pussy
So Ness' mom says "Why don''t you eat some
pussy
then go to bed? I laughed pretty hard. I felt kinda dirty so I changed it.

My favorite feature is the insta-kill. It's mind blowing that we haven't seen this simple yet ingenious idea implemented more in RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Earthbound rocks, it's a shame the Mother series never caught on here.

I had a friend in Middle? High? School that did that exact same favorite food. He also named Griever in FF8
"My Dick" or "Squalls Dick" so at the end of the game (yes, long wait for a pay off) Ulticima would Junction herself to "Squalls Dick"

Insta-kill weaker enemies is a very good feature. It stops alot of repetitiveness in certain areas or backtracking. And handy when it comes to Foppy's!

[quote name='depascal22']Destructoid is reporting that Persona 2 Innocent Sin is being remade for the PSP. No word on a North American release.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw this too. Excellent news. I can see this making it here. Atlus seems pretty generous to it's western fans. I can't wait to finally play this game.

[quote name='depascal22']Destructoid is reporting that Persona 2 Innocent Sin is being remade for the PSP. No word on a North American release.[/QUOTE]

Yep I saw that, if it comes out here I'd get it. I've enjoyed what I've played of Eternal Punishment (much more than Persona 1) but I haven't ever beaten it.

I saw the Persona 2 announcement and shit bricks. Eternal Punishment was an absolutely fantastic game, and I've wanted to play Innocent Sin ever since (and yeah, I'm aware of the fan translation.) This is honestly the game that'll make me finally buy a new PSP (so I can hook it up to the TV).

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Lame.

Z.H.P. has been delayed until November. (just saw Gamestop hasn't shipped my pre-order and has new release date)[/QUOTE]

Was it supposed to ship sooner than today? Amazon says they're shipping mine right now. I might finally buy a PSP when it comes, or maybe I'll try to power through Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow first.

[quote name='default_shepard']Was it supposed to ship sooner than today? Amazon says they're shipping mine right now. I might finally buy a PSP when it comes, or maybe I'll try to power through Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow first.[/QUOTE]

Well on the 26th they changed it to Ships 11/02. Now it shows Ships 10/28. So it is all over the place.

NISA has announced Hyperdimension Netptunia (as if there was any doubt they were going to release it). I plan on picking it up whenever it hits $20.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']NISA has announced Hyperdimension Netptunia (as if there was any doubt they were going to release it). I plan on picking it up whenever it hits $20.[/QUOTE]

I'm on that like a drunk prom date with loose morals.

[quote name='Chacrana']I saw the Persona 2 announcement and shit bricks. Eternal Punishment was an absolutely fantastic game, and I've wanted to play Innocent Sin ever since (and yeah, I'm aware of the fan translation.) This is honestly the game that'll make me finally buy a new PSP (so I can hook it up to the TV).[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat but I'll keep my 1000 until the wheels fall off.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']NISA has announced Hyperdimension Netptunia (as if there was any doubt they were going to release it). I plan on picking it up whenever it hits $20.[/QUOTE]
Didn't that get some lousy review scores from one of the Japanese mags? I seem to remember a set of scores from Famitsu, Dengeki, or some other source that were fairly low...

And me, I'm curious to see if they'll bring over Criminal Girls :lol:

[quote name='blueshinra']Didn't that get some lousy review scores from one of the Japanese mags? I seem to remember a set of scores from Famitsu, Dengeki, or some other source that were fairly low...

And me, I'm curious to see if they'll bring over Criminal Girls :lol:[/QUOTE]
Probably, but reviews don't necessarily mean anything. Plus, I'm not planning on picking this up on release day, I'm hoping for it to drop to $20. Although, I've been waiting for a deal on Trinity Universe also to no avail.

Can anybody give me hints on the last boss of Legends of Heroes 3? It has like 6 things that attack you.

My healers aren't fast enough to cast heal right away, the twin claws resurect each other when I kill one. Everybody's at level 38. I've tried fighting it 4 times already and kept dying.

I might just give up. There's no place to level around there I don't think.

Edit: Beat it. Very long game. Probably took me 50 hours.

I'm close to the end of Ys 7, after that I think I'll tackle Magna Carta 2.

I've played FFVIII up to the same spot twice and have quit it both times, but I want to finish it this time -- problem is I open the game up and I'm greeted with an airship on the world map and have no idea where I should be going.

Last thing I remember was
saving Rinoa in outer space, coming back, she gets taken away, I rescued her, and now I'm unsure.... Is this the part where I go into the floating block above that city?

Any ideas? Perhaps I should just dig through an online guide..

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Well on the 26th they changed it to Ships 11/02. Now it shows Ships 10/28. So it is all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Now it is back to 11/02. W.T.H?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I've played FFVIII up to the same spot twice and have quit it both times, but I want to finish it this time -- problem is I open the game up and I'm greeted with an airship on the world map and have no idea where I should be going.

Last thing I remember was
saving Rinoa in outer space, coming back, she gets taken away, I rescued her, and now I'm unsure.... Is this the part where I go into the floating block above that city?

Any ideas? Perhaps I should just dig through an online guide..[/QUOTE]
You'll need to go to Edea's house, I believe. Also, now that you have the Ragnarok, now's the time to start doing sidequests! :D

[quote name='Rodimus']You are naughty.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I just think the very existence of the game is hilarious. Nippon Ichi must be hurting for sales if they're making a borderline-ero game like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back