RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I was a wealthier dood rite now, coz I wanna buy ZHP and Cladun jus to give NIS sum money...

but I cant afford it! instead Im buying Oath in Felghana to give Xseed money.

I aint even gonna play the game! I jus feel bad for them if they dont succeed!

So, after about 4 months, I've finally managed to get through Glory of Heracles. The battle system kind of sucked, and the story started off really dull, but I think the story at least got better in the end.

Now I have Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for the PSP waiting for me as well as Resonance of Fate for the PS3. I could also try to get back to Eternal Sonata; although, the boss I was on was able to kill me in like 2 turns so I pretty lost interest.

New Wizardry announced for PS3 and I'm sure, like the last 3 or 4 Wizardry games, won't be localized =/

Such a shame. Wizardry TOFS for PS2 was such a great game no one bought.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']NISA has announced Hyperdimension Netptunia (as if there was any doubt they were going to release it). I plan on picking it up whenever it hits $20.[/QUOTE]I'm so buying it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Well on the 26th they changed it to Ships 11/02. Now it shows Ships 10/28. So it is all over the place.[/QUOTE]I got my copy on Friday (from Amazon).

NIS has been a machine lately with all their games.

On to Ys 7.. I'm pretty close to the end.

What should I play first?

I have a $15 RZ cert at Best Buy, so the choice is either Trinity Universe, Atlier whatever for PS3, or Ys III Oath in Felghana.

I wanna support Ys kinda but I don't think I'd play it right away.

Or skip them all and just play Magna Carta 2.

I haven't yet played a current-gen RPG, though I've had my PS3 for about 10 months now. I'm thinking about Dragon Age, since I've never played a Bioware game (thus criticisms of them rehashing KOTOR or Mass Effect etc would actually be a plus for me), and I don't like SRPGs. I considered Resonance of Fate, but I don't think I'd like the battle system.

[quote name='Backlash']I haven't yet played a current-gen RPG, though I've had my PS3 for about 10 months now. I'm thinking about Dragon Age, since I've never played a Bioware game (thus criticisms of them rehashing KOTOR or Mass Effect etc would actually be a plus for me), and I don't like SRPGs. I considered Resonance of Fate, but I don't think I'd like the battle system.[/QUOTE]
Can't go wrong Dragon Age or FFXIII. And I haven't personally tried Fallout 3 yet but it's probably good as well.

Not too many other mentionable RPGs on PS3.

[quote name='Backlash']I haven't yet played a current-gen RPG, though I've had my PS3 for about 10 months now. I'm thinking about Dragon Age, since I've never played a Bioware game (thus criticisms of them rehashing KOTOR or Mass Effect etc would actually be a plus for me), and I don't like SRPGs. I considered Resonance of Fate, but I don't think I'd like the battle system.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I couldn't get into Dragon Age, but that's just me. I know plenty of people who loved it so based on that I'll recommend it. It is deep, lots of stuff to do, but it just never drew me in for some reason.

I believe Mass Effect 2 is coming to the PS3, not sure when but definatly check into it. Don't worry about not playing part 1. I have a few friends who were able to get into it no problem.

Indeed stay away from Resonance of Fate. Overly complicated battle system, not a lot of fun. And I won't say anything else about FFXIII other than fuck that game. Didn't like Star Ocean 4, dropped it after 4 hours. Eternal Sonata is okay, but not without it's flaws making it difficult to recommend to someone who rarely plays RPGs. There's Folklore which I never played outside the demo, weird game. White Knight Chronicles which from what I've seen looks dreadfully bland. The PS3 RPG selection is sad indeed.

Not sure if Tales of Graces is coming stateside yet, I'm sure it will, but that series is always fun.

I know I'm really late getting on the bandwagon but I've finally tried the first Mass Effect the other week, and I just can't get into it really.

I'm gonna give it another shot but I'm at the part where you take the snowmobile type vehicle through the mountains. The mission is proving to be very difficult for me for some reason and I just keep freakin dying. I want to give the game a chance at least because I keep hearing people talk about it.

It seems like a good fit for me because I like RPG's, shooters, and science fiction but it hasn't sunk its teeth in me as of yet. Anyone else have this problem? BTW, anyone know how long Mass Effect is?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Can't go wrong with FFXIII. [/QUOTE]

Oh yes, you can.

[quote name='chibamm']I know I'm really late getting on the bandwagon but I've finally tried the first Mass Effect the other week, and I just can't get into it really.

I'm gonna give it another shot but I'm at the part where you take the snowmobile type vehicle through the mountains. The mission is proving to be very difficult for me for some reason and I just keep freakin dying. I want to give the game a chance at least because I keep hearing people talk about it.

It seems like a good fit for me because I like RPG's, shooters, and science fiction but it hasn't sunk its teeth in me as of yet. Anyone else have this problem? BTW, anyone know how long Mass Effect is?[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to get into ME 1 either. I tried it on PC when it came out, and then recently picked it up for 360 thinking I might like it better on my couch. It was better playing it on XBox, but didn't really click with me. I feel like I should like it since it gets almost universal acclaim, and I'd like to try the second one, but don't know if it's worth it for me personally.

[quote name='chibamm']

It seems like a good fit for me because I like RPG's, shooters, and science fiction but it hasn't sunk its teeth in me as of yet. Anyone else have this problem? BTW, anyone know how long Mass Effect is?[/QUOTE]

Well that part in the mountains is a pain and one of the areas I quit when playing Hardcore.

A full play will take about 25 hours or so, if you skip side missions you can reduce that quite a bit (10+hrs)

Yeah, that's the worst part of Mass Effect. But if you're there already, I think you're pretty close to the end. My playthrough was

The dialogue system in the first Mass Effect had no place in that game whatsoever. You could of honestly taken it all out and the game probably would of have been better.

I'll ask in the Ys VII thread too, but any tips for beating
Scias? He spanks my booty and I'm lvl 55. I only have 5-6 potions for healing and he does 100-200 dmg per hit

Ys 7 is seriously the easiest game in the world man...

just dodge all day, once the enemy finishes his attack go in and do a special move,

once you're out of meter, use charge attacks to refill,

once your character is about to die, switch out and repeat with a fresh life bar on you.

if you're having trouble with 7, Felghana will destroy you...

[quote name='JEKKI']Ys 7 is seriously the easiest game in the world man...

just dodge all day, once the enemy finishes his attack go in and do a special move,

once you're out of meter, use charge attacks to refill,

once your character is about to die, switch out and repeat with a fresh life bar on you.

if you're having trouble with 7, Felghana will destroy you...[/QUOTE]

I won't even go near it then.

I think it's pretty weak that your pt member don't heal, but you have to rely on potions.

So far, one of the early bosses gave me trouble, the earth dragon, and this guy. I usually don't play ARPGs.

I still really want Ys 7, but I don't want to spend $50 on the LE :bomb:

Has anyone started or played the new Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrels game for the DS? I ordered it as part of Amazon's B2G1, and it should be arriving today. I never played any of the original Lufia releases, so Im kind of excited.

I'm gonna give the 3rd to the last boss of Ys 7 one more go, and if I don't beat him, I'm moving on.

The ? is:

Which game? I have a $15 Best Buy RZ cert.

Should I buy:...

Ys III: Oath - I thought Ys 7 was meh. And I've heard this is hard as balls.

Atlier Ronona (Or however you pronounce it) - Not big on crafting and it's only 20 hours?

Trinity Universe - Has gotten bad reviews

Or should I just play ToV or Magna Carta 2?

[quote name='Cheska19']Play Tales of Vesperia, especially if you already own it.[/QUOTE]

I owned it when it came out, but I quit because I got stuck and the FAQ wasn't up to date.

[quote name='2DMention']I won't even go near it then.

I think it's pretty weak that your pt member don't heal, but you have to rely on potions.

So far, one of the early bosses gave me trouble, the earth dragon, and this guy. I usually don't play ARPGs.[/QUOTE]u never need potions.

your side characters rarely take damage, so you technically go into every battle with 3 life bars.

jus use one character til s/he's almost dead, then switch to a fresh one.

[quote name='JEKKI']u never need potions.

your side characters rarely take damage, so you technically go into every battle with 3 life bars.

jus use one character til s/he's almost dead, then switch to a fresh one.[/QUOTE]

I've had other characters lose health during a fight.

I'll give it one more go, but more than likely, I'll be shelving this and moving on to Magna Carta 2 or Trinity Universe.

[quote name='JEKKI']if you're having trouble with 7, Felghana will destroy you...[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right that the PSP version we received is difficult.

Man I'm on the back-burner with stuff right now. Damn you new job, damn you.

Gave up on the last boss of Ys 7. Seems like too tedious of a fight to me.

Picked up Trinity Universe and am enjoying it so far. How long of a game is it?

guess what I got today!

2ephibp.jpg

btw Im happy coz I got Valkyria 2 in the amazon b2g1 deal!!

but Im sad coz I accidentally got it shipped to the wrong address... :cry:

sux coz I was hoping to start it next week...

[quote name='Cheska19']
Has anyone started or played the new Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrels game for the DS? I ordered it as part of Amazon's B2G1, and it should be arriving today. I never played any of the original Lufia releases, so Im kind of excited.[/QUOTE]I originally didn't think about the game much since it was no longer a turn-based RPG. After seeing some videos, impressions, etc., I now really want the game. I've played Lufia I, Lufia II, and Lufia Ruins of Lore before. Did not play the GBC Lufia game. Regardless, I've loved the series for years. Only thing holding me back is my DS backlog being a bit too big.

Speaking of Lufia, I somewhat kick myself for not keeping my GBA copy of Lufia: The Ruins of Lore. I found it very underrated.
[quote name='2DMention']Gave up on the last boss of Ys 7. Seems like too tedious of a fight to me.

Picked up Trinity Universe and am enjoying it so far. How long of a game is it?[/QUOTE]I barely played much YS7 (I have the Limited Edition), and yesterday I received my YS: The Oath of Felghana yesterday (limited edition).

I can't remember if Trinity Universe was 15 hours for one character or whole game. I think it was just one character. I like Trinity Universe too. Only thing I don't like about the game is the battle system. Characters are fun.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Why are you on here posting TMK? Aren't you still sick? Get back in bed![/QUOTE]I'm off work today (it's my Friday off), feeling a bit better (still cough at times and occasionally blow money nose). I just don't have enough energy to go out and drive anywhere.

Btw, did you ever start ZHP? I'm looking to finally open my copy today. I'm surprised to see it mostly get positive reviews.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

Btw, did you ever start ZHP? I'm looking to finally open my copy today. I'm surprised to see it mostly get positive reviews.[/QUOTE]

I admired the book/case and banished it to my shelf until I finish KH: BBS

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I can't remember if Trinity Universe was 15 hours for one character or whole game. I think it was just one character. I like Trinity Universe too. Only thing I don't like about the game is the battle system. Characters are fun.[/QUOTE]

Really? That disappointing. I thought it would be like a 40-60 hour game. I'll certainly be waiting to find it for $20-30 now. I hope Neptunia is longer.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Really? That disappointing. I thought it would be like a 40-60 hour game. I'll certainly be waiting to find it for $20-30 now. I hope Neptunia is longer.[/QUOTE]
I'm just talking about the main quest though may be 30 hours. There's tons of side stuff and so on to do in order to make the game longer. I'm no expert on length since I haven't beat it.

I finally started ZHP, and lets just say the battles are a bit different than I expected.

I didnt have much luck in the DS thread so I'll try here.

Any played Away Shuffle Dungeon for the DS? How long is this game? I just got aliea (sp?), the main character's gf and am about 5-6 hours into the game. Wondering how many more annoying dungeons are left before I can finally be done with this.

[quote name='eldergamer']I didnt have much luck in the DS thread so I'll try here.

Any played Away Shuffle Dungeon for the DS? How long is this game? I just got aliea (sp?), the main character's gf and am about 5-6 hours into the game. Wondering how many more annoying dungeons are left before I can finally be done with this.[/QUOTE]
My memory is bad but I'd say I spent about 15-20 hours. I'll check my save file again when I get a chance.

[quote name='dyeknom']Where is the removable masamune sword that goes in that hole? (assuming this is the camille young figure)[/QUOTE]it's with me. u can put it in the hole, but it doest really fit flush in there so I dont wanna lose it.

[quote name='LostRoad']Has anything been said on Dragon Quest 10 yet, damn game was announced two years ago.[/QUOTE]

They re-confirmed it is still coming out on the Wii back in July. That is it though.

[quote name='LostRoad']Has anything been said on Dragon Quest 10 yet, damn game was announced two years ago.[/QUOTE]

Hell, we're still waiting for them to say for sure they're bringing over DQVI, aren't we? I'm shocked an announcement wasn't made while IX was still hot off the presses.

[quote name='bvharris']Hell, we're still waiting for them to say for sure they're bringing over DQVI, aren't we? I'm shocked an announcement wasn't made while IX was still hot off the presses.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it'll happen. Dragon Quest IX sold pretty well. My guess is probably Jan.-Feb. because that's around the time of year when it came out in Japan. I'm a huge DQ nerd, but playing through the whole series in the past year has burned me out.

[quote name='willardhaven']IX is really good so I hope X is in the same vein.

This is coming from a converted DQ hater.[/QUOTE]
Ditto this. IV and V DS and VIII had me pretty sick of DQ, but IX brought me back.

So far, my to do list for winter break:

Baldur's Gate II
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Persona 3 Portable

Maybe try the KH series out -- maybe. I also really want to give Final Fantasy XII another play through, that game was a beautiful piece of work.

Final Fantasy IX should be the first game you play. My personal favorite PSone Final Fantasy. Beautiful world and colorful characters with an amazing OST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back