RPG Thread XI is pretending X-2 doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys remember Robotrek?

Limited funds when I was a High Schooler, so I missed out on that one unfortuneatly; And it never got a virtual console release.

I've heard good things about it though.

[quote name='distgfx']Confessions? Sweet.

The only Final Fantasy games I have ever played are the FFVIII demo and FFVII. They both sucked ass and made me loathe JRPGs forever.

EDIT: Wait, I tried FFX too just to see if they got any better ... they didn't.[/QUOTE]

Those games are pretty terrible in comparison to XIII

It seems like from just reading this thread, Final Fantasy XIII is talked about way too much. It's a good game, but it's not the only RPG out there

[quote name='Kimura']It seems like from just reading this thread, Final Fantasy XIII is talked about way too much. It's a good game, but it's not the only RPG out there[/QUOTE]

At this point, they've all been talked about.

On a side note, props for the Chie avatar. I'd love to see Persona 3 and 4 get the updated compilation treatment on PS3. P4 is probably my favorite RPG (and possibly game) from last generation.

[quote name='depascal22']
On a side note, props for the Chie avatar. I'd love to see Persona 3 and 4 get the updated compilation treatment on PS3. P4 is probably my favorite RPG (and possibly game) from last generation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would love Atlus to re-release P3 and P4 on the 360 and PS3, would make me one happy guy ;)

[quote name='Kimura']It seems like from just reading this thread, Final Fantasy XIII is talked about way too much. It's a good game, but it's not the only RPG out there[/QUOTE]

Know what RPG is awesome? Oblivion.
Cheats & Mods

[quote name='Kimura']Thanks :)

Yeah, I would love Atlus to re-release P3 and P4 on the 360 and PS3, would make me one happy guy ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd pay full price for that. They should do it as Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, and P3P (like they're doing Peacewalker)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Achievements for playing Persona... Hopefully a cross-platform P5 will make that dream come true.[/QUOTE]

:drool:

[quote name='distgfx']Persona is the new Final Fantasy?[/QUOTE]
ffxb.jpg

[quote name='ihadFG']I think we should talk about Arc Rise Fantasia instead. Did anyone else like that game but me?[/QUOTE]

I liked it.

[quote name='ihadFG']I think we should talk about Arc Rise Fantasia instead. Did anyone else like that game but me?[/QUOTE]
Still waiting for this to get down to my "somewhat intrigued but heard it's very difficult and the gameplay isn't great" price of ~$15.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Still waiting for this to get down to my "somewhat intrigued but heard it's very difficult and the gameplay isn't great" price of ~$15.[/QUOTE]

Actually I thought it was pretty easy, and the gameplay is the best part.

[quote name='ihadFG']Actually I thought it was pretty easy, and the gameplay is the best part.[/QUOTE]

And you completely ignore my thought provoking comment? Hmph, I see how it is. :nottalking:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I played about 20 minutes and wasn't impressed enough to go further with it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, at least you're being fair about it. I'll admit the game does take a bit of time to start getting good. I'd say the first 10-15 hours are perfectly average, and nothing more.

i remember when the real argument was ff6 vs ff7

now it's "do you like ff13"

i kinda wanna play secret of mana again...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Achievements for playing Persona... Hopefully a cross-platform P5 will make that dream come true.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that it's coming.

[quote name='kainzero']i remember when the real argument was ff6 vs ff7

now it's "do you like ff13"

i kinda wanna play secret of mana again...[/QUOTE]

I'm playing it on VC. Tryign to get far enough into it to have both companions so my kids can play with me. (and need to figure out if I can use a Gamecube controller, since only have two Classic Controllers)

Oh, I like that idea. I have it on SNES, and I never tried it multiplayer when I originally beat it so many years ago (whenever it came out). Maybe early next year I can look into playing Secret of Mana again, assuming the battery in the catridge still works...

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I'd pay full price for that. They should do it as Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, and P3P (like they're doing Peacewalker)[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it make more sense for the third game to be P2P? Persona 3 and P3P would be double-dipping, I would think.

Anywho, never owned a handheld console. How much better are the PS1 RPGs on the PSP as opposed to PS3? Graphically due to the size of the screen, I mean.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Wouldn't it make more sense for the third game to be P2P? Persona 3 and P3P would be double-dipping, I would think.

Anywho, never owned a handheld console. How much better are the PS1 RPGs on the PSP as opposed to PS3? Graphically due to the size of the screen, I mean.[/QUOTE]

generally pretty good in terms of the remakes. if you're just playing classics off the store they look fine too.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Anywho, never owned a handheld console. How much better are the PS1 RPGs on the PSP as opposed to PS3? Graphically due to the size of the screen, I mean.[/QUOTE]

Remakes/Ports look good for the most part (although a few look a little different, Valkyrie Profile comes to mind) since in some cases they are stretching some of the graphics to fit the screen (this is only with Ports, with Remakes obviously they make the art the right size).

In regards to downloaded PS1 titles from the PSN store, they aren't bad, although I found the black bars (since it keeps the original aspect ratio) a little distracting. Also, the screen refresh doesn't seem perfect on them (I noticed a bit of ghosting when I played Wild Arms on PSP). Also, some menu screens feel a little harder to read since the screen size is considerably smaller.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Wouldn't it make more sense for the third game to be P2P? Persona 3 and P3P would be double-dipping, I would think.

Anywho, never owned a handheld console. How much better are the PS1 RPGs on the PSP as opposed to PS3? Graphically due to the size of the screen, I mean.[/QUOTE]

It would make sense, but P2P isn't even out yet, so doubt we'd see that in a HD remake/title

[quote name='Backlash']Children of the late 70s to early 80s, I give you Saved by the Bell the RPG: http://kotaku.com/5828563/saved-by-the-bell-the-video-game-is-the-best-thing-that-never-happened

(So far I chose Help Kelly and Fight Jeff, and it was very satisfying)[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high: it's mostly a joke, a "YouTube game" which is basically kind of a choose-your-own-adventure where you jump between videos of "gameplay." Still entertaining if you grew up watching the show, though.

[quote name='Backlash']I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high: it's mostly a joke, a "YouTube game" which is basically kind of a choose-your-own-adventure where you jump between videos of "gameplay." Still entertaining if you grew up watching the show, though.[/QUOTE]

I was just quoting that infamous part, personally I hated that show.

But I played the game and told Jessie to keep taking the pills and it makes a nice little joke that her career took a spiral and was cast in Showgirls.

[quote name='Backlash']I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high: it's mostly a joke, a "YouTube game" which is basically kind of a choose-your-own-adventure where you jump between videos of "gameplay." Still entertaining if you grew up watching the show, though.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter, this is GOTY.

a good example of how horrific dungeons in LO are. here's the predicament:

+_________+ B

The plus signs represent crates, and the bridge in between can be raised by pressing the button 'B'.

So you raise the bridge, push the first crate off the edge. Then you lower again (half way there! +___________ B). Now run across and draaaag the other crate to the same position as the former crate, and repeat.

Whew! How satisfying and necessary! Every single area has bullshit like this, and about 7 ladders that each take 15-20 seconds to climb up and down. Who the hell decides to put this into a game?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Who the hell decides to put this into a game?[/QUOTE]
The smartest thing Sakaguchi ever did was leave Square. He may not have had an original idea in the past 15 years, but because his projects don't say Final Fantasy on the box, all is forgiven. He's frozen in time as the guy who's responsible only for the "good" Final Fantasies.

Geez, does that sound really bitter? :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The smartest thing Sakaguchi ever did was leave Square. He may not have had an original idea in the past 15 years, but because his projects don't say Final Fantasy on the box, all is forgiven. He's frozen in time as the guy who's responsible only for the "good" Final Fantasies.

Geez, does that sound really bitter? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say, while I love the Final Fantasy games he made, they were all the same besides the story, characters, and maybe one or two special gameplay elements. Square needed fresh new ideas for the Final Fantasy series for it to survive. While some of these ideas are not the best (Looking at you Crystal Chronicles), you have to respect Square for exploring new ground with their most popular series

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The smartest thing Sakaguchi ever did was leave Square. He may not have had an original idea in the past 15 years, but because his projects don't say Final Fantasy on the box, all is forgiven. He's frozen in time as the guy who's responsible only for the "good" Final Fantasies.

Geez, does that sound really bitter? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Someone finally said it.

[quote name='Kimura']I agree with everything you say, while I love the Final Fantasy games he made, they were all the same besides the story, characters, and maybe one or two special gameplay elements. Square needed fresh new ideas for the Final Fantasy series for it to survive. While some of these ideas are not the best (Looking at you Crystal Chronicles), you have to respect Square for exploring new ground with their most popular series[/QUOTE]

I can give SE credit for trying new things, but I just wish I could actually like those new things as a whole. Unfortunately I haven't really liked many SE developed games recently.

So, to change the subject, who's interested in Dark Souls? I ask because I'm not :lol:, but Demon's Souls seems to be a pretty popular topic and especially since the sequel is cross-platform, it seems like it might take over discussion for a while if everybody's playing it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So, to change the subject, who's interested in Dark Souls? I ask because I'm not :lol:, but Demon's Souls seems to be a pretty popular topic and especially since the sequel is cross-platform, it seems like it might take over discussion for a while if everybody's playing it.[/QUOTE]

I am; Demon's Souls was one of the very few RPGs I didn't hate. I just don't want to buy it at full price; hell, I only paid $16 for the Demon's Souls LE on release date. Stacking coupons :drool:

Are the Demon's Souls servers down now? I was thinking of finally trying the game out since it's dirt cheap, but can you still go online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back