RPG Thread XI is pretending X-2 doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Indignate']

Combat is pretty fun. Story kind of, sort of, makes sense and totally doesn't at the same time.[/QUOTE]

This and it got REALLY fucking preachy at the end during the credits.

[quote name='jello44']This and it got REALLY fucking preachy at the end during the credits.[/QUOTE]

I've heard this a lot. Can someone drop the deats on what actually happens at the end? I doubt I'll ever go back and finish it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']
It's just built on such a dated design I think they were just trying to bait a nostalgic reaction out of people.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd say that. I think the game definitely has an appreciation for old-school battle systems, but I don't think it's doing it simply for nostalgia bait. I know I really enjoyed the battle system in LO even though I have no nostalgia for turn-based battles (I played ARPGs almost exclusively when I was younger). It's certainly not fast-paced, but that only leads to more control overall. So while the battles may feel a bit slow compared to modern RPGs, I still never felt like they were dragging on for too long. I think the battle system they used is perfectly fine, whereas dated implies that it is obsolete.

Eh, sorry if I was vague. There's nothing wrong with the battle system. It doesn't do anything new but its got its own little take on the traditional style and I think it's quite fun. The immortal/mortal customization is really cool.

I'm talking about the build of the game itself. Walking through a forbidden forest with a puzzle that involves moving a boulder 5 yards to the left. A prison escape with annoying patrol patterns, a mining mountain encampment with 10 ladders for you to slowly climb down, a haunted mansion with a few missing tiles on the floor. Walking through towns reaching into random jars and people's dressers. Stopping the game for 30 minutes to collect sticks and flowers, and moving a torch around in a funeral (which was a good scene that didn't need a game segment to go with it). It's a pretty dry game outside the great development of the characters and their memories.

So maybe it's not even a nostalgia grab, because I don't remember older JRPGs being this routine even 10 years ago.

I enjoy the game though, and it's probably the first JRPG recommendation I've taken here and been pleased with the result.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Eh, sorry if I was vague. There's nothing wrong with the battle system. It doesn't do anything new but its got its own little take on the traditional style and I think it's quite fun. The immortal/mortal customization is really cool.

I'm talking about the build of the game itself. Walking through a forbidden forest with a puzzle that involves moving a boulder 5 yards to the left. A haunted mansion with a few missing tiles on the floor. Walking through towns reaching into random jars and people's dressers. Stopping the game for 30 minutes to collect sticks and flowers, and moving a torch around in a funeral (which was a good scene that didn't need a game segment to go with it). It's a pretty dry game outside the great development of the characters and their memories.

So maybe it's not even a nostalgia grab, because I don't remember older JRPGs being this basic even 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I can see what you are saying a little more clearly now. And yeah, the overall design is somewhat traditional with the looting of people's rooms and such, but for me that's a formula I guess I'm ok with, since it never really bothered me. As for the stick collecting part, I actually really loved that segment. It gave me some time to reflect on the situation and the children in a way where I don't think a cutscene would have sufficed. The whole funeral bit is one of the more memorable parts of the game for me, largely because you actually play it.

As for it being a dry game outside of the writing, I'd say that probably depends on personal taste. For me, the game structure really clicked with me, and I found it compelling to explore the towns and do the sidequests, while collecting all the accessories and spells, and then assigning them slots to level up and such.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You have to be so fucking careful when a deal thread over a niche JRPG pops up. You will never see a more positive string of recommendations and messages of agreement in a thread over any other piece of software.

I've almost bought ES 4 times myself. But then I just look back on Resonance of Fate.[/QUOTE]

Not that it would certainly be for everyone, but having played both I'm pretty confident that most RPG fans would find Eternal Sonata to be an infinitely better game than Resonance of Fate.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You have to be so fucking careful when a deal thread over a niche JRPG pops up. You will never see a more positive string of recommendations and messages of agreement in a thread over any other piece of software.[/QUOTE]
Ain't that the truth.

Just once I'd like to see a thread filled with posts like, "Yeah, the gameplay is kind of crappy and outdated, but the anime girls are really cute so I feel like I got my $20 worth out of it."

But no, every niche JRPG is a flawless, innovative, unfairly hidden gem.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']But no, every niche JRPG is a flawless, innovative, unfairly hidden gem.[/QUOTE]

Zoids Assault was the best TRPG ever, because Atlus made it. The monotone Zoids units made the game so much better, because the difficulty went up when you can't tell units apart.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']every niche JRPG is a flawless, innovative, unfairly hidden gem.[/QUOTE]

Words to live by.

Niche RPG's are way better than that mainstream shit.

The best JRPG ever is clearly Tecmo Secret of the Stars, because it was so good that Tecmo never needed to make another RPG again. :D

[quote name='bvharris']The best JRPG ever is clearly Tecmo Secret of the Stars, because it was so good that Tecmo never needed to make another RPG again. :D[/QUOTE]

Harsh =P

[quote name='elessar123']Harsh =P[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, when I was a kid I was so starved for JRPGs that having already devoured all the good ones, I actually played (and really liked) that game. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. :D

I know, right? I remember when FF7 and FFT were not around. I remember Bahamut's Lagoon, and even a Tenchi Muyo TRPG that you beat in like 5 hours. When it got to the end, with my characters at single digit levels, I actually wanted more.

When I was in that situation, I just went back and leveled my Secret of Mana characters even more. God, the hours I poured into that game, way past the point when I had done everything and leveled the characters beyond all reason.

[quote name='bvharris']Do you guys remember Robotrek? :D[/QUOTE]
I think I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power. Never owned it though. Was it fun?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power. Never owned it though. Was it fun?[/QUOTE]

Well I couldn't tell you accurately now, all this time later. I know that 10 year-old me thought it was fun. Then again, he also liked Secret of the Stars (which I made the mistake of replaying as an adult). I'm going to leave Robotrek in my idyllic childhood memories where it belongs. :D

[quote name='bvharris']Do you guys remember Robotrek? :D[/QUOTE]

I don't =P

I also played Secret of Mana a ton. I never had a full game 100% though, cause the only time I bothered to level all my chars up 99, I was missing an upgrade drop from the final dungeon.

[quote name='Backlash']Damn yuu really nailed that costume. Nice work.

Also, mmmm Chie[/QUOTE]

Indeed, well done. I like the group photos too, though you seem to have acquired an extra Protagonist and Yukiko or two. :D How could you not find a Rise? ;)

[quote name='bvharris']Indeed, well done. I like the group photos too, though you seem to have acquired an extra Protagonist and Yukiko or two. :D How could you not find a Rise? ;)[/QUOTE]

Those of appropriate hotness to be here probably went as something else. Like this
6001283367_d920f2278e_o.jpg
or this
5997741175_39e7a790a2_b.jpg

[quote name='Backlash']Damn yuu really nailed that costume. Nice work.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='bvharris']Indeed, well done. I like the group photos too, though you seem to have acquired an extra Protagonist and Yukiko or two. :D How could you not find a Rise? ;)[/QUOTE]

I liked the group shots too, they were great. Also, there were also two Teddies, I was in a couple pictures with just her and me, but didn't get any of them on my camera (I totally should have asked for someone to take a picture with my camera), one of her friends on cosplay.com said she would see if she had one of those pictures to give to me though.

We did see one Rise who was in the Starbucks line but she couldn't come to the photo shoot because I think she was going to do something else. :cry: There were a few Rises at the Friday night photo shoot, but there were really too many people at that one to do group shots (and nobody really requested a P4 one), so most of the shots are just broken into character groups with most having two characters featured for each shot, for some reason Teddie didn't get another character and there were only two of us, haha.

[quote name='icebeast']We did see one Rise who was in the Starbucks line but she couldn't come to the photo shoot because I think she was going to do something else. :cry:.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, it wasn't me. :lol:

I should really go to Otakon one of these years.. I don't know if I'd be much for dressing up, but I could certainly handle gawking. ;)

Looks like I've been made OP of the Borderlands 2 discussion thread. Put me in coach! I'm ready! :lol:

Shrike made it a wiki though, so I won't have to shoulder the burden all on my own.

[quote name='bvharris']Sadly, it wasn't me. :lol:

I should really go to Otakon one of these years.. I don't know if I'd be much for dressing up, but I could certainly handle gawking. ;)[/QUOTE]

Just go business casual and say you are Ryotaro Dojima.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Just go business casual and say you are Ryotaro Dojima.[/QUOTE]

The lazy man's new cosplay standard:

catherine_vincentart.png

[quote name='bvharris']Sadly, it wasn't me. :lol:

I should really go to Otakon one of these years.. I don't know if I'd be much for dressing up, but I could certainly handle gawking. ;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't dress up, but I still had a blast seeing all the other costumes. I only wished I owned a camera. I will buy one for next year though!

[quote name='ihadFG']I didn't dress up, but I still had a blast seeing all the other costumes. I only wished I owned a camera. I will buy one for next year though![/QUOTE]

I got a camera last year so I could finally take pictures at conventions, as well as make sure I got pictures of my own cosplay. I got a fairly cheap one, and it isn't fantastic, but it works for what I use it for.

I chose to re-enter this thread at the just right time :q

Somehow I've never managed to go to a con. I feel like I've wasted the precious final years of my youth not mingling in my element :lol: I actually cosplayed a couple of times as a teenager, but only for high school costume parties. Once as a Team Rocket member, once as Miroku from Inuyasha (ah, the days of the [as] anime boom.) Sadly, the only people who ever recognized me were the nasty emo gothic yaoi girls that anyone who went to high school in the 00s probably remembers.

Figure I'll try to go to one of the big cons some time in the next 12 months, which means trying to find a good character to go as. Now, the eternal dilemma: game character or anime character?

i didnt dress up for my first con
but in October Devastion is coming to Phx ( a video game convection) so i may cosplay

thinkin waldo

Well, life came up and I had to take a little bit of time off of gaming. I am back and finally managed to find the time to plat R&C ACiT. I know it isn't a traditional RPG but the game as a whole really did remind me of a cross between Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms, and Dark Cloud (possibly even a bit of Alundra with Clank's puzzles). I def think it was the closest to a genuine action RPG of all the Ratchet & Clank games (which have all had RPG elements), even the story was decent.

So now I am trying to figure out what to play next, my PS3 RPG backlog consists of:

3D Dot Heroes (I wasted a lot of time creating characters but have only played like ten minutes of the game itself)

Oblivion (Played this for a few hours, enjoyed it, but I think it might make my completionist self implode)

FFXIII (about halfway through it I lost interest, I did not get to the part where it is supposed to be fun, but I do plan/need/fully intend to go back to finish & plat this game at some point)

Atelier Rorona (haven't played this one at all yet)

Eternal Sonata (still shrink wrapped)

Star Ocean TLHI (shrink wrapped)

Any advice on which game I should tackle next? Too many choices!

[quote name='leeloo1977']Well, life came up and I had to take a little bit of time off of gaming. I am back and finally managed to find the time to plat R&C ACiT. I know it isn't a traditional RPG but the game as a whole really did remind me of a cross between Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms, and Dark Cloud (possibly even a bit of Alundra with Clank's puzzles). I def think it was the closest to a genuine action RPG of all the Ratchet & Clank games (which have all had RPG elements), even the story was decent.

So now I am trying to figure out what to play next, my PS3 RPG backlog consists of:

3D Dot Heroes (I wasted a lot of time creating characters but have only played like ten minutes of the game itself)

Oblivion (Played this for a few hours, enjoyed it, but I think it might make my completionist self implode)

FFXIII (about halfway through it I lost interest, I did not get to the part where it is supposed to be fun, but I do plan/need/fully intend to go back to finish & plat this game at some point)

Any advice on which game I should tackle next? Too many choices![/QUOTE]

I actually really enjoyed 3D Dot Game Heroes. It gets hard during the last couple temples, but it's the kind of game where you will get better at it each time you die and try again. I'd say go for that one.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Any advice on which game I should tackle next? Too many choices![/QUOTE]

Eternal Sonata is fairly short and the battle system and artwork are both amazing. With that said the plot is fairly terrible, but personally getting to see each unique and awe inspiring location and the enjoyable battle system (which progresses fairly nicely, although maybe just a bit too slow) managed to get me through the game easily. If the plot had been better it would have been one of my favorite games ever.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Well, life came up and I had to take a little bit of time off of gaming. I am back and finally managed to find the time to plat R&C ACiT. I know it isn't a traditional RPG but the game as a whole really did remind me of a cross between Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms, and Dark Cloud (possibly even a bit of Alundra with Clank's puzzles). I def think it was the closest to a genuine action RPG of all the Ratchet & Clank games (which have all had RPG elements), even the story was decent.

Any advice on which game I should tackle next? Too many choices![/QUOTE]

Honestly, 2 nights ago, I gave up on finishing FFTA2 (276/301 quests, on post game), and I just coded a random number generator to choose my next game out of Devil Survivor, Persona, Etrian Odyssey 3, and Apollo Justice. It gave me Persona. So I did best of 10. Persona won. So I starred playing Etrian Odyssey 3 last night.

Moral of the story, decide yourself =P

[quote name='panzerfaust']That's not exactly a list I'd be looking forward to dive into.[/QUOTE]

That's part of the problem....seems like there is a lack of "must play" RPG games for the PS3... how I long for the days of the PS2 where so many "must play" RPG games came out that it wasn't even possible to play all of them. Now it seems like all the good RPG games coming out are on handhelds and I just don't have any interest in handheld gaming.

Using a random generator then choosing something else sounds like the kind of thing I would do. Kind of like playing eeny meeny miney moe when I was a kid, I would rig it anyway so it was always kind of pointless.

Ok, I think I will play/finish 3D dot heroes first, then go ahead and open up Eternal Sonata.

If FFXIII wasn't your cup of tea, I wouldn't go back. Demon's Souls and Valkyria are good picks if you haven't played them yet.

And don't forget Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. Both are on PS3.

Skyrim Collectors Edition announced. $149.99

Skyrim CE will include a huge, 200-page Art of Skyrim coffee table book, a "Making Of" documentary DVD with interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and more, and the pièce de résistance: a 12-inch-high PVC statue of Alduin, the World Eater, perched atop a wall inscribed with the ancient language of the dragons.

Well the thing about FFXIII is my cousin is sort of taunting me because he got the plat for it. Also I am hoping they made FFXIII-2 more fun and plan to try it out. I did try Valkyria but I really just can't get into srpg's. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age just don't interest me for various reasons. The one I would be most tempted to play is Demon's Souls since I actually played and was a big fan of the King's Field games but my husband would have a serious problem with the game's title (don't ask).

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Skyrim Collectors Edition announced. $149.99[/QUOTE]

^^This game I am excited about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back