RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the mod I downloaded, Morrigan looks like this:

686-1-1271655668.jpg
Oh, are we cheating? Is that what we're doing here?

I guess we're cheating then.

Hey, Leliana looks like this.

scarlett-iron-man-2-red-curly-hair-2.jpg

See, I can cheat too.

Oh, are we cheating? Is that what we're doing here?

I guess we're cheating then.

Hey, Leliana looks like this.

scarlett-iron-man-2-red-curly-hair-2.jpg

See, I can cheat too.
I don't even know who Leilana is yet. Maybe she looks that good in my game too.

Man everyone is so sexy nowadays.

Kainzero, the important thing is that you get the "summonable dog" mod so you can always have your dog with you.
There's a mod, so you can always have Wrex (all my playthroughs, same name) with you but not count as a party member? Looks like it's time for a new PC run to get ready for Inquisition! (stupid self for playing Origins on PC, then Origins+Awakening and 2 on 360, and now planning on getting 3 for PC...)

Played some Pokemon Black 2 today; just reached Opelucid City.

What the hell have they done to Opelucid City?! (屮゜Д゜)屮

ETA: Okay, this explains it. Having previously played White, and not being prepared for this beforehand (I think I might've heard about it a long time ago, but had forgotten, obviously), I found this really jarring.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a mod, so you can always have Wrex (all my playthroughs, same name) with you but not count as a party member? Looks like it's time for a new PC run to get ready for Inquisition! (stupid self for playing Origins on PC, then Origins+Awakening and 2 on 360, and now planning on getting 3 for PC...)
Yep. I think it sometimes reacts weirdly with ranger summons (Which is okay, I guess, because have you ever actually used ranger summons? No, you haven't. Let's be honest.) and you can't summon him for the Sloth Demon business, but other than that, he's a full fifth party member whenever you want him. Which is always. You always want him.

It's okay, the dog is actually pretty terrible in a fight. The whole point of making him a fifth party member is that he isn't a full character.

Beat Tales of Graces f. I enjoyed the characters and story more than Xillia, but not the combat. Time to track down a copy of Vesperia.

Beat Tales of Graces f. I enjoyed the characters and story more than Xillia, but not the combat. Time to track down a copy of Vesperia.
Really? I like Graces combat and story better. If only Vesperia PS3 was brought over to the US. I'll probably get a 360 when it hits $100.

On the left. That minotaur thing looks badass.
Thanks, dude.

This is just mental exercise shit for me right now. I'm generally thinking no enemies on screen, random encounter rules, but I've also been tossing around Super Mario RPG 3/4 format. Enemies on screen, eight approach vectors. I've been getting more "Depends on which direction you're attacked from." than I've expected, but I think it's because most of my RPG memories have shit attacking me from thin air.

Not to mention we read left to right, Japan the other way around, yadayadayada. I'm just curious what feels more natural to people.

Probably best to keep the positions consistent if you're transitioning to an entirely new battle screen. For me, when I hit an encounter, my eyes will fixate on where I expect to see the enemy when the transition loads. So if you change that positioning depending on which way I run into the enemy, I could see that getting mildly annoying.  It's a nice attention to detail but you are making the player's eyes dance left or right. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do surrounds or other cool variations.

I'm thinking super traditional, though, and I'm assuming 2D. I'm sure there's a lot of room for creativity with other engines.

I'm of the same state of mind. I've been considering variations in the battle screens: primarily a profile view (Final Fantasy,) a 3/4 view (Super Mario RPG,) and a view from the back (like Phantasy Star, and likely only for huge creatures that tower over you.) Despite knowing how much work that is, I think that used sparingly with a defined entry point it could be cool. Imagine it'd be even more jarring if entering from the left and the right were options given those variations.

And yeah, ideally I'd like to go 2D. Prolly in Unity, but there are boatloads of details I've yet to sort out.

It's okay, the dog is actually pretty terrible in a fight. The whole point of making him a fifth party member is that he isn't a full character.
I guess so.

I didn't install it because it felt like cheating. I also named my dog "Ahelnaugh" which also makes me laugh every time I see it. Because then I think, "Ahelnaugh, what's up dog!"

So if you change that positioning depending on which way I run into the enemy, I could see that getting mildly annoying. It's a nice attention to detail but you are making the player's eyes dance left or right.
Maybe if I was exaggerating I would call it annoying that my eyes were "dancing" all over the place in this very stationary RPG game where characters probably do small flinches as attacks. Unless we're talking like huge theater wide projector screens, then I totally concede that it might be upsetting to be looking at one side of the screen only to realize you now have to scan your eyes over a couple of feet because some designer decided to get intricate. Don't be an ass, Action.

Stop it. I'm waiting for Panzer to post. It's really scary. I'm afraid he's going to yell at me.

Also, you should explain the mechanics then dawg, cuz if they're in there doing cardio flips and b-boying rather than running up, hitting the enemy, and then running back, then Panzer's argument might hold more weight (slightly).

I know it sounds nitpicky but when you're dealing with hours and hours of random encounters, tiny inconveniences matter. It won't make or break Action's game, but he was asking what was optimal.

Sorry for the bad advice, I guess?

I don't think it was bad advice, just extremely nitpicky.

Never personally found something like a back attack or what have you to be especially jarring. The only annoyance I derived from it was having to hit the flip order button, but that was part of the encounter to make me waste my turn or tough it out so whatever. Honestly, having the viewpoint switch up would probably be more exciting for me (behind the back style for big enemies as he mentioned), as RPG battles tend to get quite stale after a while.

But I couldn't just say that, I had to be condescending about it. You know me, dawg.

Poke-progress: got the seventh Gym Badge last night. Thank goodness for Rare Candies.

I figure once I'll wrap up Black 2, I'll get started on my SMT Pile of Shame.

Never personally found something like a back attack or what have you to be especially jarring.
Well, they're supposed to be. It's an uncommon encounter and presents a bad situation for your party. It should stand out. While in 90% of battles you'll see enemies on the left, this screen loads and you see a strange setup with enemies on the left and right, and you in the middle. Having consistency for most regular battles helps make other variations like these feel unique or threatening.

Surrounds are just an example, Icebeast just showed us another with FFVI. The engine is on the right because it's not a normal random encounter, it's the train you've been exploring for the past hour, driving you in the opposite direction and toward somewhere you don't want to go, in this case the afterlife. Having faced nothing but creatures on the left for the past 5 hours, this makes the Ghost Train encounter all the more memorable, if only slightly. No, it's not something you think about as a player during play, but your brain does acknowledge it and it does matter.

If he's working with a high volume of encounters, I think it's best to make the regular ones consistently positioned. Then he can later switch things up to really get the player's attention when he wants it.

But it's a very, very tiny issue and a mundane thing to discuss. I understand why I sound ridiculous.

Anybody in here play Kingdoms of Amalur?

I picked it up at $20 a while back and started it a few weeks ago.  I'm 20ish hours in and on the fifth (I think) main quest and several side quests.  Basically, I'm wondering, does it get any better?  Havent been impressed with the combat or the story so far.  Contemplating trying to blast through the rest of the main story but it feels wrong to leave so many sidequests undone.  Any advice?

KoA has an absurd amount of sidequests and they're all pretty much repeats of what you do in the first few hours. It doesn't get any better. I think the combat and world begin to lose their charm after the forest zone, personally. I think you're well past that.

anybody playing the Bravely Default demo?!?! I'm so confused by it...

like... is there anything to actually beat in it? like can you beat the demo??

or is it just a playground to fight, explore, level up, etc...

coz all I know, for a demo, the moment I step into a dungeon is the moment I die...

I seriously do not understand what's going on, and do not feel the desire to grind for just a demo...

I don't think it was bad advice, just extremely nitpicky.

Never personally found something like a back attack or what have you to be especially jarring. The only annoyance I derived from it was having to hit the flip order button, but that was part of the encounter to make me waste my turn or tough it out so whatever. Honestly, having the viewpoint switch up would probably be more exciting for me (behind the back style for big enemies as he mentioned), as RPG battles tend to get quite stale after a while.

But I couldn't just say that, I had to be condescending about it. You know me, dawg.
I don't think we're trying to be as black and white as saying "One direction good, two direction bad." Even in the scope of ambush attacks, it still works. My only concern is going 50/50 with such a thing. Think it works out when it's at least got context though.

But yeah, having at least three views is always my goal. And who knows, maybe at some point I say fuck it, go 3D, and then can do whatever I want with a free camera. If I'm sticking 2D though, I just know I need to keep workload in mind. I've seen too many projects go belly up from poor management.

Also, to go back to the earlier question: Yeah, the idea is that I'll take these pretty standard camera set-ups for battle, but go ape shit art-wise within. Actual character movement, attacks, effects, alla that. Not trying to innovate game design here, really just want to make shit look cool on top of a solid enough foundation.

If he's working with a high volume of encounters, I think it's best to make the regular ones consistently positioned. Then he can later switch things up to really get the player's attention when he wants it.

But it's a very, very tiny issue and a mundane thing to discuss. I understand why I sound ridiculous.
I appreciate the time, dude. Details like that are important to me. I'm not trying to define right or wrong here, either, just pooling opinions.

I picked it up at $20 a while back and started it a few weeks ago. I'm 20ish hours in and on the fifth (I think) main quest and several side quests. Basically, I'm wondering, does it get any better? Havent been impressed with the combat or the story so far. Contemplating trying to blast through the rest of the main story but it feels wrong to leave so many sidequests undone. Any advice?
I feel the same way. I only played a few hours of KOA yesterday and I'm not feeling it at all. Way to many side quests. When I got to the first town, I accepted about 10 side quests. I'll probably play some more later before I write it off all together.

I picked it up at $20 a while back and started it a few weeks ago. I'm 20ish hours in and on the fifth (I think) main quest and several side quests. Basically, I'm wondering, does it get any better? Havent been impressed with the combat or the story so far. Contemplating trying to blast through the rest of the main story but it feels wrong to leave so many sidequests undone. Any advice?
I liked Reckoning a lot, actually completed the campaign twice and got 1300/1300 in it. But if you're 20 hours in and not enjoying the gameplay, you may as well cut your losses.

The game has an overwhelming amount of sidequests. Too many. If you try to go through it with a completionist mentality you'll just end up mired in sidequests, burned out on repetition, and feeling like you haven't actually accomplished anything.

I did practically everything in the first zone, and after that only did a handful here and there in the other zones and just focused on the main story and faction questlines.

But again, if you're not enjoying the combat after 20 hours then you probably just don't like the game. It's not going to get any better.

New rpg thread for new year is new.

My rpg resolution is to finish up some backlogged DS/3DS RPGs. Finished up SMT IV during Christmas, and now working my way thru some classic Dragons Quest V. I just picked the bitchy-bossy sister to be my wife. Also, Bravely Default demo seems alright, but I haven't played it much yet.

I am also slowly working thru KOA:Reckoning (dat PS+ love). Its ok. I am just treating it like a single player WoW, because thats pretty much what it is to me.

My advice for KOA is to just power through the main quest, doing side quests if you just wanna power up.

I liked the combat system, but I played a rogue who is supposed to be the weakest class, lol.

Finished off September in Valkyria Chronicles 2. Now to move on to October. So annoying when I'm one reward short of the next class tier. So I play an extra mission for that Sppt II X reward and end up only getting Sppt II instead.

Might just stick with the storyline missions and let people level up at their own pace, games already gone on nearly 40 hours.

My advice for KOA is to just power through the main quest, doing side quests if you just wanna power up.

I liked the combat system, but I played a rogue who is supposed to be the weakest class, lol.
I played a rogue at first, it was fun, but then I played a pure sorcerer and it was super overpowered. But it's really all about blacksmithing your own equipment, you can make stuff that's so good it basically breaks the game. I think it's even possible to get 100% damage reduction with the right combination of crafted equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back