RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually just noticed in Amalur, I'm only 16 hours in, not 20.  But yeah, havent liked the combat too much.  Think I'm gonna play a few more story/faction quests before making the official decision.  I have it for PS+ as well (currently playing on my 360 disc copy) in case I trade it in now and then get the itch to play it down the road.

Talk to people in town, they will give you quests, also the town system is a menu you can bring up on the world map.

how long did it take??

I have like 40 minutes on the demo and still have no idea what to do other than grind...

help!!
I spent the bulk of my time with the game dicking around with job combos. If you get confused about stats and mechanics, a lot of the guards in the opening room will give you info if you keep talking to 'em.

End of the day though, it's a demo for a JRPG, so it's mostly gonna be grinding. Hitting up the blue exclamation points on the town map will at least give you some direction to grind in, however.

Personally, I spent like 11 hours on the demo, but I also ended up maxing everyone's levels and jobs.

I completed the Braverly Default demo in around 8 hours, Jobs and Village maxed.

One thing I really like about this game is the Grind, go to options and turn the encounter rate to Max, and turn auto battle on along with Fast Forward during battles (Press directional pad twice to speed up battles).

Last edited by a moderator:
see what the heck?!?! I played thru Gone Home and Ducktales, both only took me 2 hours each,

but an 8 hr demo?!?! aint nobody got time for that!!

first of all, I was really upset with the town building part. It said building one part would take 2 hours so I thought "cool! I'ma start it, turn my DS off, go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning it should be done!!"

nope... when I returned the next day it said 1 hr 57 minutes left -_- this game's like "yo fukk real time"

I understood that getting streetpasses gets u more workers that half completion time with each additional one, and there's a local anime convention goin on this weekend so I may jus pop up and chill in the lobby collecting street passes... we'll see.

Second of all, yeay I did the first quest where I had to get the Duck Livers or whatevs, but I thought that was side mission stuff and not the actual demo o_O

last of all, I am interested in this game, but I knew absolutely nothing about it other that it was supposed to be a Final Fantasy game that doesnt suck, hence why I checked the demo out

and according to my favorite gaming website, http://www.howlongtobeat.com/ (which btw makes the sticky thread in this forum completely useless), this is a good 70 hour game >_<

so I'm very reluctant to give the game my attention now... maybe in the Year of Luigi I could fit it in, but not in the Year of Sega Saturn

the #yearoftheSaturn is for backlog after all, and I still have Lost Odyssey to play, the other supposed best Final Fantasy game

first of all, I was really upset with the town building part. It said building one part would take 2 hours so I thought "cool! I'ma start it, turn my DS off, go to bed, and when I wake up in the morning it should be done!!"
Yeah, should just let it sleep. Time progresses that way.

I was totally happy to put that much time into it. I never felt like I was trudging through it though. Shit, I wished it was longer. That's the beauty of demos though. Least you know you can probably chill until it gets cheaper.

and according to my favorite gaming website, http://www.howlongtobeat.com/ (which btw makes the sticky thread in this forum completely useless), this is a good 70 hour game &gt;_&lt;

so I'm very reluctant to give the game my attention now... maybe in the Year of Luigi I could fit it in, but not in the Year of Sega Saturn

the #yearoftheSaturn is for backlog after all, and I still have Lost Odyssey to play, the other supposed best Final Fantasy game
The original Japanese release was a 70-hour game (I assume this page is for that old release) but the version we're getting in America and Europe has been sped up considerably. I think this page gives a better idea of how long the game is - probably closer to 35 hours.

Least you know you can probably chill until it gets cheaper.
aint no chillin!! I already pre-ordered the special version!! lol.

also I was seriously thinking of going to that anime convention for street passes, but it's like $15 just to park!! funk that!!

there's a street pass gathering the weekend after, which is closer to me and has free parking!

The original Japanese release was a 70-hour game (I assume this page is for that old release) but the version we're getting in America and Europe has been sped up considerably. I think this page gives a better idea of how long the game is - probably closer to 35 hours.
when a simple speed up tweak cuts the overall play time by a good half... to me that sounds like a real problem o_O

when a simple speed up tweak cuts the overall play time by a good half... to me that sounds like a real problem o_O
That is actually how I felt when I read this:

One thing I really like about this game is the Grind, go to options and turn the encounter rate to Max, and turn auto battle on along with Fast Forward during battles (Press directional pad twice to speed up battles).
For me that sounds like a total turn off that the game needs to be sped up and set to play itself, I might still give the demo a try, and I hope that maybe I just don't understand the context, but I like having to think when I'm playing games.

Also, I totally did start up Dragon Age: Origins again with a bunch of mods (got all the ones that interested me) having a blast so far, I love that game, about 20 hours in now and I've finished the mage tower section working on Warden's Keep DLC next. I'm using Shale as my tank this time and she is actually super funny to have around, I like her a lot, and she is really dang good at grabbing aggro of everything with her Stoneheart form (we'll see how her survivability does in the late game when other tanks have access to really good armor though).

I'll be interested to hear more opinions on Default. Honestly, the faults I hear pop up most often are present in almost every JRPG I've played. Curious that they seem more prevalent for this one in particular.

Grinding my way thru DQ V still. Actually, I haven't had to do much xp grinding; just trying to recruit certain monsters and that can be a pain sometimes. I am not too far after the marriage choice, which I thought was just hilarious since it came out of nowhere and was pretty much just a "Marry one of these girls to advance the game" choice. Ah, jrpg romance...

I have also been playing Crimson Shroud, which has been an odd game so far and I am not sure I like it yet. Anyone else here given it a try?

I have also been playing Crimson Shroud, which has been an odd game so far and I am not sure I like it yet. Anyone else here given it a try?
I actually did end up enjoying that one. Certainly took some getting used to, but when I heard that it had creators in common with Vagrant Story, I had to give it a shot. I think the biggest bummer for me is that there's story and content ONLY available in New Game +. I haven't gotten around to the second go yet; I hear it's a good deal more difficult.

I put an hour into it and thought it was pretty cool. I'll have to get back into that game some other time. Steamworld Dig has been all the action my 3DS has seen lately. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR7fekE85q8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Brosuke

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KK_d0Mej5M&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I'm seriously hyped for this game. I'm even more hyped for the soundtrack. The new battle themes sounds fantastic. 

Yeah, apparently the battle animations used to be really slow, which bogged down the game. Now they're faster and you can fast forward them.

FF1 is shockingly less primitive than I thought it would be. Like, my mages already have pretty decent spell variety, dungeons have locked rooms and chests and shit (woah!), and objectives are pretty easy to navigate. It's still an awful game but I'm surprised it's so functional.

FF1 is shockingly less primitive than I thought it would be. Like, my mages already have pretty decent spell variety, dungeons have locked rooms and chests and shit (woah!), and objectives are pretty easy to navigate. It's still an awful game but I'm surprised it's so functional.
The original FF1 on NES?

There are a lot of fun bugs that might not be really visible when you play. One really good example is crit rate; originally weapons were supposed to have different crit rates but because of a programming error, the crit rate of the weapon is related to the weapon index number.

I actually like FF1 though and my opinion is the opposite; in terms of functionality it's quite broken, but as a game it's simple and fun.

Grinding my way thru DQ V still. Actually, I haven't had to do much xp grinding; just trying to recruit certain monsters and that can be a pain sometimes. I am not too far after the marriage choice, which I thought was just hilarious since it came out of nowhere and was pretty much just a "Marry one of these girls to advance the game" choice. Ah, jrpg romance...
I liked the way the marriage was done originally, in which it was clear that you should marry Bianca and if you marry Flora you kinda seem like a jerk because she really liked that other guy. The addition of the 3rd girl who just throws herself in there, and the reduced emphasis on the other guy liking Flora made it more of a cheesy JRPG romance compared to back then.

The marriage is pretty core to the storyline and to the overall game though. It's pretty sweet.

I liked the way the marriage was done originally, in which it was clear that you should marry Bianca and if you marry Flora you kinda seem like a jerk because she really liked that other guy. The addition of the 3rd girl who just throws herself in there, and the reduced emphasis on the other guy liking Flora made it more of a cheesy JRPG romance compared to back then.

The marriage is pretty core to the storyline and to the overall game though. It's pretty sweet.
I've only played the DS version, but I like that whole segment myself. I married Bianca, though Flora was nice too, and I don't really remember what was going on with the other guy. Bianca and Flora seemed to be on more or less equal footing, though the former had the edge, at least for me, since the Hero knew her better. I don't always root for the childhood friend, but I just had to in this case :3

Deborah seemed like such a bizarre choice, especially since it seems she doesn't even like the Hero all that much. It was fairly obvious that the marriage option for her had been tacked-on as a new feature. Despite that, it's still a great game.

I've only played the DS version, but I like that whole segment myself. I married Bianca, though Flora was nice too, and I don't really remember what was going on with the other guy. Bianca and Flora seemed to be on more or less equal footing, though the former had the edge, at least for me, since the Hero knew her better. I don't always root for the childhood friend, but I just had to in this case :3

Deborah seemed like such a bizarre choice, especially since it seems she doesn't even like the Hero all that much. It was fairly obvious that the marriage option for her had been tacked-on as a new feature. Despite that, it's still a great game.
Don't get me wrong, DQ5 might possibly be my favorite RPG ever.

In the original version, it was conveyed that Flora (apparently her name is Nera on the DS version) was already in love with another suitor, Andy, and it was a mutual love... that she really didn't have any feelings for you and you would only choose her to get the shield. She also didn't really wanna marry you. You could still choose her, of course.

It's been a long time since I played the DS version, but I think they actually made things more even. Flora is a little sweeter and you have a better emotional connection, and Deborah was a joke/popular stereotype (tsundere) so all the arrows don't point to Bianca as obviously. I'm not sure but I don't think you met Flora on the boat in the beginning of the game in the original version either.

It's not gamebreaking or story-changing, but I preferred the execution in the original as a personal choice.

Don't get me wrong, DQ5 might possibly be my favorite RPG ever.

In the original version, it was conveyed that Flora (apparently her name is Nera on the DS version) was already in love with another suitor, Andy, and it was a mutual love... that she really didn't have any feelings for you and you would only choose her to get the shield. She also didn't really wanna marry you. You could still choose her, of course.

It's been a long time since I played the DS version, but I think they actually made things more even. Flora is a little sweeter and you have a better emotional connection, and Deborah was a joke/popular stereotype (tsundere) so all the arrows don't point to Bianca as obviously. I'm not sure but I don't think you met Flora on the boat in the beginning of the game in the original version either.

It's not gamebreaking or story-changing, but I preferred the execution in the original as a personal choice.
Yeah, I know; it's way, way up there for me as well :) And oh, right, the name thing.

Things do seem to be a bit more even between Bianca and Nera/Flora in DQV DS. I thought the choice between the two was interesting, actually; Bianca still seems like the obvious way to go, but Nera is a really, really good candidate too, and that added scene on the boat is a sweet one.

I guess I can see Deborah as a tsundere, though she was way more tsun tsun than dere dere :razz:

Haven't played the original DQV, obviously, but I don't know if I would like its own setup for the bride candidates. Too used to the DS version's now, I guess.
In unrelated news, got the final Gym Badge in Black 2 today, whoo!

Yeah, I know; it's way, way up there for me as well :) And oh, right, the name thing.

Things do seem to be a bit more even between Bianca and Nera/Flora in DQV DS. I thought the choice between the two was interesting, actually; Bianca still seems like the obvious way to go, but Nera is a really, really good candidate too, and that added scene on the boat is a sweet one.

I guess I can see Deborah as a tsundere, though she was way more tsun tsun than dere dere :razz:

Haven't played the original DQV, obviously, but I don't know if I would like its own setup for the bride candidates. Too used to the DS version's now, I guess.
For better or worse, it's been retconned and the DS version is canon. =)

happy friday!

I said last weekend I would beat Ys...

but I didnt even end up playing it >_<

but I have a free nite tonite to do nothing but play games!

and I'm gonna try to beat Ys this weekend!

Finished the Bravely Default Demo, I think I was a little under-leveled because I was using a phoenix down every other round, but I still beat him.

Ys is finished!

super fun game! I cant say enough!

like I'm really shitting on 2013 for having a bunch of terrible games making a GOTY list rather impossible for me,

but thanks to Ys, I can at least make a top 3!

like I'm really shitting on 2013 for having a bunch of terrible games making a GOTY list rather impossible for me,
Man, total opposite for me. I normally make a top 5 per year, and even that was hard as hell for me with 2013.

Glad to hear it about Ys, though. I need to play way more.

Man, total opposite for me. I normally make a top 5 per year, and even that was hard as hell for me with 2013.

Glad to hear it about Ys, though. I need to play way more.
Yeah, last year gave us Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and Dragon's Crown even before looking into all the big "AAA" games on the majority of top 5/top 10 lists.

Yeah, last year gave us Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, and Dragon's Crown even before looking into all the big "AAA" games on the majority of top 5/top 10 lists.
Not to mention all those 3DS games. That system had an amazing 2013, and it's on track to have a great 2014, too.

(Most of my favorite 2013 releases have been indie PC games, though, none of which are RPGs. Well, Rogue Legacy kinda comes close…)

How is Tales of the Abyss on 3DS? Worth the price of admission?
I played both versions (although only finished the 3DS one) and near as I could tell it was basically a straight port of the original, although I think combat actually loaded a bit faster on the 3DS (plus it doesn't suffer from a backwards compatibility issue where the game freezes at a specific point that the PS3 has if you have one with only software backwards compatibility).

For Abyss the 3DS version only has 30 FPS during battle (60FPS for PS2) so it doesn't look as good.  The font they used for the 3DS version is also worst.  

maaaaaan I dont play that moe miku baka anime shyt!

except for Bravely Default, which I may not even play, rather just throw it in the pile with all the other games I aint playing.

I still have my $90 copy of Ni No Kuni tho, which is dead last in my next-gen RPG backlog pile.

right behind Lost Odyssey, Resonance of Fate, Nier, and Last Story,

one of those games at least I hope to beat in the #yearoftheSaturn

Well, Ni No Kuni and ToX are AAA games... Maybe not American budget, but certainly Japanese budget AAA.

I started playing Fire Emblem Awakening and I'm doing this shit super hardcore. If somebody done goofs and dies, they are staying dead. No restarting the map or playing on casual for me. So far, it's pretty rad. 

Well, Ni No Kuni and ToX are AAA games... Maybe not American budget, but certainly Japanese budget AAA.
I hear wildly varying opinions on Ni No Kuni, not sure I want to invest. It's cheap but RPGs are still time sinks, you know what I mean?

2 Crystals down in FF1. Game is major ass.

I liked Ni No Kuni, but I've got my fair share of issues with it.  Still though, the world is a joy to be in, and to me the game has a slightly different feel to it than just about any other RPG (especially modern ones).  For me, the good very much outshines the bad, and I always had a fun time playing it.  I never finished it because my PS3 died and that sort of cut my flow with the game, but I definitely look forward to getting back to it.

True, I should have worded it "US mainstream" instead, as The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider were up there.

I had a few minor grips with Ni No Kuni, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of it. Town Warp should have been available earlier, because nearly right after you get it, it becomes redundant. It would have been nice for side quest convenience. The monster bubbles in battle can be cumbersome in that monsters sometimes lose attack rounds trying to go around to correct position. While I wasn't annoyed the 3rd party member didn't come in for a long time, I was annoyed it came with a basic party ability that should have been in from the first battle (all defend).

Love Nier, anyone that missed it should bump that up to the top of their backlog play next list. :)

True, I should have worded it "US mainstream" instead, as The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider were up there.

I had a few minor grips with Ni No Kuni, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of it. Town Warp should have been available earlier, because nearly right after you get it, it becomes redundant. It would have been nice for side quest convenience. The monster bubbles in battle can be cumbersome in that monsters sometimes lose attack rounds trying to go around to correct position. While I wasn't annoyed the 3rd party member didn't come in for a long time, I was annoyed it came with a basic party ability that should have been in from the first battle (all defend).

Love Nier, anyone that missed it should bump that up to the top of their backlog play next list. :)
For some reason, when you said AAA I was thinking RPG AAA, not all AAA titles.

I wrote AAA too much.

S-class.

maxresdefault.jpg

Got some time in with Persona 4. Teddy gets annoying quick. Gee are there three enemies Teddy? I NEVER WOULD'VE NOTICED! Managed to finish the first castle in one go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back